PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see done to the dome?

NDSUstudent
04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Over the past few years the dome has undergone some great improvements and is now one of best sports venues in the region but there is always something that can be done to improve even the best venues. What would you like to see done to the dome?

The main thing I would like to see done to the Dome is tear out the press box in the North endzone that never gets used and turn it into a club suite. The key to making this work is to allow alcohol sales in clubs and suites only and I don't know if NDSU would be willing to soften their policy that much. But this would create more revenue for the Dome and NDSU since that space goes pretty much unused and it would liven up the North endzone which is usually the deadzone during games. I know the Metrodome just got done adding these types of suites and it sounds like they are a great success and I think they would be a big success in the Fargodome as well.

SUCB#27
04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm not saying that I want this because it would be a HUGE waste of money in my opinion, but Green and Gold seats would look great in the dome.

buffalobill
04-12-2006, 09:17 PM
THE SUITES SHOULD HAVE BEEN AT THE TOP OF THE DOME FROM THE START. A GOOD NUMBER OF CHOICE INDIVIDUAL SEATS WERE LOST BY THE PRESENT CONFIGURATION :( :( : WHAT THE DOME NEEDS IS A WAC ATTACK :) :) :)

MplsBison
04-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Put seats in the corners.

buffalobill
04-12-2006, 09:31 PM
WAC ATTACK :) :) :) :)

bisonranch
04-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Not likely to happen and I don't want to start a debate, I'd like to have a beer when watching the game.

Mr._Bill
04-13-2006, 12:29 AM
At some point soon, field turf. Thats the one thing that I think needs to get done. Fewer injuries and more pleasing to the opponents eye.

The current turf looks great, but its still astro-turf, which will be retro in a few years.

Bisonguy
04-13-2006, 12:56 AM
At some point soon, field turf. *Thats the one thing that I think needs to get done. *Fewer injuries and more pleasing to the opponents eye.

The current turf looks great, but its still astro-turf, which will be retro in a few years.

I would hope the new turf would have a big NDSU logo on the 50!

broke_back_mnt
04-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Im with NDSUstudent. Thats a great idea about the club room. Field turf too, but unlikely since it needs to be rolled back. Does anybody know how our turf is to play on?

Mr._Bill
04-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Im with NDSUstudent. *Thats a great idea about the club room. *Field turf too, but unlikely since it needs to be rolled back. *Does anybody know how our turf is to play on?

Good astro-turf or bad . . . still astro-turf. Hopefully there is a replacement plan in a year or two. But as you suggest, I'll wait to here from someone who has played on it.

roadwarrior
04-13-2006, 03:18 AM
The north end press box is there for a reason. For instance, when the dome is set up for basketball, that is the press box used. You wouldnt be able to see the floor from the football pressbox. True these days it doesnt get used much but that is the reason that its there.

MplsBison
04-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Astro turf is retro.

There isn't a single I-A or NFL stadium with it.

That includes domes.

Metrodome, Georgia Dome, Carrier Dome, RCA Doma, Edward Jones, etc. They all have the new stuff.

I think what they do is just lay plywood and tarps down over it. Not sure.

I'm pretty sure that it can't be rolled up like the "magic carpet" that's in the dome now.

IowaBison
04-13-2006, 04:06 PM
I like the idea that has floated around about having a Team Makers only half time event.

Iowa State has "Stage Door" events that include food and drink for Cyclone Club members.

RodentiaX
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
The next time the turf is replaced, I'd like it not to have the gigantic FARGODOME text running 60 yards down the field. It dominates the field. The Rose Bowl's logo in its field is miniscule by comparison. The name of the stadium shouldn't try to upstage the game that's taking place on the field.

SUCB#27
04-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Im with NDSUstudent. Thats a great idea about the club room. Field turf too, but unlikely since it needs to be rolled back. Does anybody know how our turf is to play on?

I honestly have never had a problem with it. That said, I played a position where if things go as planned I am never on the ground. I think the running backs might disagree with me.

I do think that field turf would be much better, it's much softer and easier on the body. I really don't know how excited NDSU or the FargoDome would be about installing it, since we spent a very large sum of money on the current turf. But if the money issues worked out I would be all for NDSU having field turf in the Dome.

MplsBison
04-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Did you play anywhere that had the new style turf?

How was that to play on?

Bison101
04-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I am on board with the green and gold seats. Yellow seats for everything below the suites and green for everything above that. Oh yeah and get rid of the stupid blue pads around the walls. Through in some field turf, with a bison logo in the center and walla, we'd really have someting. Someday, we need to figure out a way to put seats in the corner, what would that raise our capacity to, 23 perhaps 24,000?

SUCB#27
04-17-2006, 05:22 AM
Did you play anywhere that had the new style turf?

How was that to play on?

Yeah we played at a couple of places that have field turf. Northwestern State, Montana, Southern Illinois, Howard Wood in Sioux falls has it. I really do like it. It has all of the properties of grass without all of the upkeep and it is a very consistent playing surface. The only problem I ever noticed with field turf is it sometimes it stretches.(obviously, it's rubber) When you go to plant a foot it can stretch at that isn't an ideal situation for changing directions. That's really nitpicking though.

I like the surface a lot and it would definitely cut down on some of the turf related injuries we deal with now.

MplsBison
04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Hmm.

I wonder what it would take, short of hell freezing over, to get the new style turf in the dome?

Bisonguy
04-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Hmm.

I wonder what it would take, short of hell freezing over, to get the new style turf in the dome?

Money.

02Bison
04-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Loyal, loud, non-vulgar fans in the seats from start of game to finish.

SUCB#27
04-17-2006, 11:14 PM

Couldn't agree more. We have so many great fans that somehow get drowned out by the utter silence of the rest of the fans. This is the one thing that can help the atmosphere in the dome more than anything. I will be doing my part this fall.

imabison
04-18-2006, 01:09 AM

Couldn't agree more. We have so many great fans that somehow get drowned out by the utter silence of the rest of the fans. This is the one thing that can help the atmosphere in the dome more than anything. I will be doing my part this fall.

I wonder if there is any further action being taken on the Teamakers Thunderzone proposal.

SDbison
04-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Loyal, loud, non-vulgar fans in the seats from start of game to finish. *

Couldn't agree more. We have so many great fans that somehow get drowned out by the utter silence of the rest of the fans. This is the one thing that can help the atmosphere in the dome more than anything. *I will be doing my part this fall.

I wonder if there is any further action being taken on the Teamakers Thunderzone proposal.
No response from Gene since his original reply to my e-mail. Heard through others that they want us to organize on our own by encouraging people to move to section 20 or 21. No one will be moved out to make a teammakers thunderzone only.....non cheering fans will have to ask to leave. Also they don't want us to use "Thunderzone" since it is already used in one of the endzones. My best proposal is something like the Stampede Section". But who cares! Gotta love all that energy, innovativeness and support that Teammakers is showing. I guess it is only about the money. WTF? :(

bisonmike
04-20-2006, 07:33 PM
2 words, beer garden.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-21-2006, 03:57 AM
Hmm.

Money.

We just spent all our Money on Miles raise----we need to raise the Football tickets to $50.00 to cover all these "genius ideas"

Bisonguy
04-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Hmm.

Money.

We just spent all our Money on Miles raise----we need to raise the Football tickets to $50.00 to cover all these "genius ideas"

Miles' raise was a far cry from the $500-700k to install a new field surface in the Fargodome, and that's not including the additional expenses from the extra labor and time needed to change the floor of the Fargodome to turf or back to a hard surface.

Mr._Bill
04-21-2006, 10:27 PM
In the next 2 years, it needs to be replaced. Why? Because it's astro-turf! I hope someone is planning for this.

It will be a negative factor in getting a high level AA team to Fargo at some point, if that time has not already arrived.

MplsBison
04-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Miles' raise was a far cry from the $500-700k to install a new field surface in the Fargodome

What makes you think it will cost that much?

I would think an indoor installation on already flat concrete would be as easy as it gets. No need to level out the field or pour cement.

and that's not including the additional expenses from the extra labor and time needed to change the floor of the Fargodome to turf or back to a hard surface.

From what I've read this involves laying down plywood and a tarp.

That would add time and expense, but how much?

Is it worth it?

Bisonguy
04-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Miles' raise was a far cry from the $500-700k *to install a new field surface in the Fargodome

What makes you think it will cost that much?

I would think an indoor installation on already flat concrete would be as easy as it gets. No need to level out the field or pour cement.

The Metrodome spent over $750k a few years ago to get the new playing surface. I was being conservative because of the lack of the baseball configuration, but I'm sure costs have also increased over the past couple of years. It doesn't appear that a concrete floor makes much of a difference.

and that's not including the additional expenses from the extra labor and time needed to change the floor of the Fargodome to turf or back to a hard surface.

From what I've read this involves laying down plywood and a tarp.

That would add time and expense, but how much?

Is it worth it?

Currently, it takes two guys about 20 minutes to roll out the turf, or to retract it. How much time and wages would it take to lay out or pick up the nearly 2,000 4x8 sheets of plywood it would take to cover the turf?

NanoBison
04-22-2006, 04:17 AM
What I'd like to see at the Dome is to get rid of that ugly canopy structure on the west and south sides of the Dome ( I think there might be one on the North end too, can't remember). Couldn't it be replaced with something a little better looking than steel beams painted cream white? Put something with Brick, Steel and Glass. Make it look schnazy!!!

I was thinking maybe of this type of design :

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/images/arch/stadium/Memorial%20Stadium%20East.jpg
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/nyybpk02.jpg

Then at the entrances they can have a canopy like at the Plains Art Museum, just bigger. Something along those lines, obviously not as grand as those in the pictures...

(New turf with the giant Bison/NDSU logos would be nice too.)

MplsBison
04-22-2006, 02:56 PM
The Metrodome spent over $750k a few years ago to get the new playing surface. I was being conservative because of the lack of the baseball configuration, but I'm sure costs have also increased over the past couple of years. It doesn't appear that a concrete floor makes much of a difference.

Ah, ok.

I guess you're right then.

Currently, it takes two guys about 20 minutes to roll out the turf, or to retract it. How much time and wages would it take to lay out or pick up the nearly 2,000 4x8 sheets of plywood it would take to cover the turf?

You're certain all they have to do is roll and unroll it? I mean, if that's it then fine. But I can remember unrolling and rolling wrestling mats in high school and it was never that easy.

Yes it would take a bit of time to do the plywood. Probably an all night gig. I guess you'd have to ask the Metrodome, Georgiadome, et al. what they do.

Bisonguy
04-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Ah, ok.

You're certain all they have to do is roll and unroll it? I mean, if that's it then fine. But I can remember unrolling and rolling wrestling mats in high school and it was never that easy.

Yes it would take a bit of time to do the plywood. Probably an all night gig. I guess you'd have to ask the Metrodome, Georgiadome, et al. what they do.

Yeah, the Magic Carpet system in the Fargodome, while still the "old-style" turf is essentially one seamless playing surface that rolls up and is stored in a (motorized?) pit in the floor of the Fargodome. There's one additional section, which I believe is the 5 yard piece from the endline to the the wall in the north end. It's a vast improvement from the zip-together *turf that was originally in the Fargodome.

I'm sure the turf will be replaced, but I'm positive they'll try to get as much life out of the current turf as possible (it's only the third or fourth season on it).

MplsBison
04-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Well once the new football facilities at the dome are completely, what more is on the administration's agenda as far as facility upgrades go?

How long is the magic carper surface supposed to last?

Bisonguy
04-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Well once the new football facilities at the dome are completely, what more is on the administration's agenda as far as facility upgrades go?
No idea. Maybe an indoor practice facility?

I have no idea, but it seems like I remember hearing 7-10 years.

roadwarrior
04-23-2006, 02:01 AM

Indoor installations last much longer than outdoors because the sun doesnt break it down. The first turf at Dacotah Field was used over 10 years before being replaced.

roadwarrior
04-23-2006, 02:04 AM
What I'd like to see at the Dome is to get rid of that ugly canopy structure on the west and south sides of the Dome ( I think there might be one on the North end too, can't remember). Couldn't it be replaced with something a little better looking than steel beams painted cream white? Put something with Brick, Steel and Glass. Make it look schnazy!!!

The canopies are on all four sides of the dome. The north and east sides are complete, whereas the south and west side ones were not completed. Look at the ones on the north and east sides. The posts are covered with brick to match the walls of the dome and look much better. The reason they were added was to catch a possible avalanche of snow sliding off the roof.

NanoBison
04-23-2006, 02:55 AM
The canopies are on all four sides of the dome. The north and east sides are complete, whereas the south and west side ones were not completed. Look at the ones on the north and east sides. The posts are covered with brick to match the walls of the dome and look much better. The reason they were added was to catch a possible avalanche of snow sliding off the roof.

Ahhh, I never thought about that. Makes common sense. Is there any plan to spruce up the ones that have yet to be finished on the south and west sides? I can see the functionality of them, but they are an eyesore on a bueatiful building.

Gamehunter
04-23-2006, 03:56 AM

Ah, ok.

Yeah, the Magic Carpet system in the Fargodome, while still the "old-style" turf is essentially one seamless playing surface that rolls up and is stored in a (motorized?) pit in the floor of the Fargodome. There's one additional section, which I believe is the 5 yard piece from the endline to the the wall in the north end. It's a vast improvement from the zip-together turf that was originally in the Fargodome.

I'm sure the turf will be replaced, but I'm positive they'll try to get as much life out of the current turf as possible (it's only the third or fourth season on it).

The turf is rolled up in a giant roll underneith the South endzone. When it is needed, haydraulics raise part of the floor that houses the turf. Nylon Cables are then attached ever few yards or so along the width of the turf and they are connected to winches located in the North endzone wall. The turf is pulled out by the winches very slowly. Even slower than walking speed. Air is also pumped underneith the turf so there is less resistance and wear on the turf. You can stand on the turf as it is being pulled out and it is like a "magic carpet ride" as you are floating on air. When the turf is fully extracted there is still huge air pockets all over. It literally looks like a rolling plains. 5 or 6 guys with metal rollers about 6 feet wide run back over the turf widthwize many times to push the air out the sides. This usually takes 20 minutes if the guys doing the work are fairly fit. Then, the South endzone pieces (2) are rolled out and zipped together. Finally, the goalposts, pads, and nets are put together and installed.

bisonmike
04-29-2006, 02:26 PM
This wouldn't be something done to the dome but I would like to see a big season kickoff tailgate party take place in the parking lot prior to the 1st home game of the season. Do something like what the NFL does on opening weekend only on a much smaller level. Have and outdoor concert with a semi-popular act by the tailgaiting lot a couple of hours before kickoff. The weather is usually great, and I think you would get a lot of people to show up for it.

imabison
04-29-2006, 06:29 PM
This wouldn't be something done to the dome but I would like to see a big season kickoff tailgate party take place in the parking lot prior to the 1st home game of the season. Do something like what the NFL does on opening weekend only on a much smaller level. Have and outdoor concert with a semi-popular act by the tailgaiting lot a couple of hours before kickoff. The weather is usually great, and I think you would get a lot of people to show up for it.

Humm, is that what happens now. There was no band last year, but the year before they had a band on top of the South Entrance to the Fargodome playing.

bisonmike, no offense but have you been to a home game in the last couple years.

Bisonguy
04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
This wouldn't be something done to the dome but I would like to see a big season kickoff tailgate party take place in the parking lot prior to the 1st home game of the season. *Do something like what the NFL does on opening weekend only on a much smaller level. *Have and outdoor concert with a semi-popular act by the tailgaiting lot a couple of hours before kickoff. *The weather is usually great, and I think you would get a lot of people to show up for it.

Humm, is that what happens now. *There was no band last year, but the year before they had a band on top of the South Entrance to the Fargodome playing. *

bisonmike, no offense but have you been to a home game in the last couple years.

There was also a band for taligating in the west lot later during the 2004 season, just to the south of the guard shack.

bisonmike
04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
This wouldn't be something done to the dome but I would like to see a big season kickoff tailgate party take place in the parking lot prior to the 1st home game of the season. *Do something like what the NFL does on opening weekend only on a much smaller level. *Have and outdoor concert with a semi-popular act by the tailgaiting lot a couple of hours before kickoff. *The weather is usually great, and I think you would get a lot of people to show up for it.

Humm, is that what happens now. *There was no band last year, but the year before they had a band on top of the South Entrance to the Fargodome playing. *

sorry should have clarified. A decent band. Yes I have been to the last couple of home openers but whoever they had didn't peak my interest enough to go over there. It should be more of a headliner. I'm not expecting Metallica but maybe you could get q98 or another radio station to promote it. Plus it would probably have to be a home opener on a Saturday. Make the home opener an all day event. The thursday openers suck if you work and can't take off the afternoon. Get home from work at 5:30 change and run up to the dome for kickoff. Not much time to enjoy pregame activities.

BisBison
04-30-2006, 04:53 PM
* The thursday openers suck if you work and can't take off the afternoon. *Get home from work at 5:30 change and run up to the dome for kickoff. *Not much time to enjoy pregame activities. *[/quote]
Especially if you live 3 hours from the dome. :(

runtheoption
04-30-2006, 10:29 PM
What would you like to see done to the dome?

Peel the roof off.

GoBison127
05-01-2006, 04:25 AM
I know it's been mentioned but field turf would bring the dome to another level. It seems that much like the Metrodome it could be done. That astroturf is starting to seem just a little too artificial. I also noticed at the spring game how small the championship banners hanging from the ceiling are. Make those things bigger!!!

RxBison
05-01-2006, 02:39 PM
* The thursday openers suck if you work and can't take off the afternoon. *Get home from work at 5:30 change and run up to the dome for kickoff. *Not much time to enjoy pregame activities.
Especially if you live 3 hours from the dome. :(

I personally like the Thursday opener. *I think more students come out to the game that way. *If you wait until Labor Day weekend, many of the students go home for the long weekend, and miss out on the experience.

ndsubison
05-01-2006, 04:18 PM
1) Field Turf

2) Beer sales during the games

3) An announcer who shows more energy and relentlessly urges people to get on their feet & cheer so often that they eventually don't need to be reminded ;)

4) Better music

5) More t-shirt giveaways

6) Fans who "dress up" in cool or just funny costumes. Think "Mardi Gras" at the Dome. Montana fans are notorious for this. In Missoula, it's more than just a game. It's an EVENT.

MplsBison
05-01-2006, 05:11 PM
In Missoula, it's more than just a game. It's an EVENT.

I hope that we can get to that point soon.

IowaBison
05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
In Missoula, it's more than just a game. It's an EVENT.

It's already there for me and my party. The pre-game tailgating and post game beer are as much a part of the day as the Bison kicking a$$.

One thing that I would like to see is a halftime beer concession in a controlled area available only to Team Makers.

SDbison
05-02-2006, 04:08 AM
In Missoula, it's more than just a game. *It's an EVENT.

It's already there for me and my party. *The pre-game tailgating and post game beer are as much a part of the day as the Bison kicking a$$.

One thing that I would like to see is a halftime beer concession in a controlled area available only to Team Makers.

Yeah!

kchats
05-02-2006, 04:23 AM
Host site for the division I-AA National Championship Game. :D

MplsBison
05-07-2006, 03:51 PM
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/8508/dome6dh.png

Here's what seats in the corners might look like.

Obviously the large column would have to be cut out and the video monitors would have to be placed up higher as I've shown with the green outline.

The grey part would be the section entrance.

I think potentially each corner could add 1000 seats which would bring the capacity up to around 22k.

It also gets rid of those stupid hanging sunflower posters.

Jeffdaryl3rd
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure you can just cut out a column, but they might be able to make it work. Whatever we have to do to get those stupid sunflower things down we need to do.

MplsBison
05-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Sure they can. See all those green support beams? Without the column they'll support the weight of the roof. Just make each of those thicker as needed.

imabison
05-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure you can just cut out a column, but they might be able to make it work. Whatever we have to do to get those stupid sunflower things down we need to do.

I think those stupid Sunflower things serve purpose for concerts and such. They stop the sound from bouncing in the corners. If there were seats there I wonder how it would change the accoustics in building.

BraxtonT
05-07-2006, 09:10 PM
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/8508/dome6dh.png

Here's what seats in the corners might look like.

Obviously the large column would have to be cut out and the video monitors would have to be placed up higher as I've shown with the green outline.

The grey part would be the section entrance.

I think potentially each corner could add 1000 seats which would bring the capacity up to around 22k.

It also gets rid of those stupid hanging sunflower posters.

As I am watching my Yankees play down in Arlington against the Rangers, I see the right field bleachers at Ameriquest Field with "old style" columns obstructing the view of the fans. Having sat behind one of those obstacles at Fenway Park in Boston, I know it sucks to have it in your way, but with the Fargodome proposal you have, how much would it cost to remove those? If it's way too much, how about they build seating around the posts and offer reduced rates to anyone who wants to be in the building and is willing to be obstructed?

MplsBison
05-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't think that it would be that much.

Maybe a couple million total.

roadwarrior
05-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Simple physics will tell you that if you remove those four corner columns, there will be no more roof over the Fargodome. Any structural engineer would laugh at the suggestion.

WYOBISONMAN
05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Simple physics will tell you that if you remove those four corner columns, there will be no more roof over the Fargodome. Any structural engineer would laugh at the suggestion.

I guess that would mean we would have an outdoor stadium.... ;)

kchats
05-08-2006, 03:39 AM
Yeah if the stadium wasn't designed with removing the columns it will not be easy to do. Since they didn't put seats in the corners originally I highly doubt it was designed for them. Putting them in when it was first built would not have been that expensive at the time. Adding them later will be very expensive.

The dome needs to be sold out as it is built consistently with fans on a waiting list for tickets before they have to worry about it though. There are other ways to increase exposure if the dome sells out all the time. Television to a statewide and regional network is the next logical step.

RodentiaX
05-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know what percentage of the roof's weight is supported by the corner columns? It's possible to remove the columns, add seating and give that same support in some other manner, it's just a question of cost. I suspect by the time that attendance has grown sufficiently, it will then be worth the cost.

roadwarrior
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I believe 100% of the roof's weight is supported by those 4 columns. *In the hallway on the 2nd floor of the dome there are several aerial pictures taken during construction of the dome. *You can tell from these pics that the center section of the roof is entirely supported by them. *The center (flat) section of the roof was constructed on the floor of the dome and then lifted into position and anchored to those columns. *Also some of the weight of the east and west side sloped section of the roof is also supported indirectly by the columns. Oh, and prior to the center section being built, the columns were there to support the roof sections over the corners and end zones.

Maybe we should add a roof like that at Safeco Field in Seattle that would completely slide off over the Fargodome making it an outdoor stadium for those nice fall days. Problem is cost. The estimates of adding a similar roof over the proposed Twins stadium is in excess of $100 million.

MplsBison
05-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Roadwarrior, anything is possible assuming that money is not the limiting factor.

You could even go as far as to build columns on the outside of the fargodome and have the roof supported by cables ala a suspension bridge or something like that.

But I highly doubt it would be that hard.

Simply put temporary supports in place, cut out the columns, and thicken the other supporting beams. Easy.

roadwarrior
05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Simply put temporary supports in place, cut out the columns, and thicken the other supporting beams. Easy.

What OTHER supporting beams?

MplsBison
05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
The multitude of green support beams above the area shaded in blue. Look at the pic I posted. They're there.

roadwarrior
05-08-2006, 09:48 PM
And what is holding up those multitude of green support beams? Ah yes, the infamous column in the corner ;D

MplsBison
05-08-2006, 09:51 PM
They're also connected to the walls.

It really is a lot simpler than you're trying to make it.

Just think about it for a second. Say those giant columns just disappeared. What would happen? Which beams would buckle first? Thicken those beams up until they don't buckle.

Swaghook
05-08-2006, 10:07 PM
The wall of the dome is just a shell it does not support the weight of the roof. All the weight is being transfered to those four columns by all those "other" beams.

roadwarrior
05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Say those giant columns just disappeared. What would happen? Which beams would buckle first? Thicken those beams up until they don't buckle.

We would have a topless Fargodome :)

Thickening any or all of the remaining beams would not matter, because there would be nothing left to support them. It would only make matters worse, since there would then be more weight to support.

(Thanks to Swaghook for a little engineering support)

kchats
05-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah you can't remove those columns without building new columns to take their place.

Hey in Kansas City they are trying to get the citizens to pass a users tax to pay for a rolling roof that will move between Arrowhead and Royals Stadium. Pretty space age. The design would be very interesting.

sambini
05-09-2006, 01:13 AM
That does sound intertesting as I have been to games there.

02Bison
05-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Texas, Texas A&M, pretty much all of the Big Ten Schools, Florida, Florida State...that kind of game day environment exept with 19,000 fans instead of closer to 100,000 of course!

MplsBison
05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Then make the walls thicker.

Not that hard, guys.

Charger
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
MplsBison must be an engineer. ;D

MplsBison
05-09-2006, 08:18 PM
No, but doesn't it make common sense that if you take away the support structure and make everything else stronger, that the same effect will be acheived?

I can understand saying that it will cost too much. And that could likely be the outcome.

But outright saying it's impossible is just ignorant.

roadwarrior
05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
I am not saying that it is impossible to remove those columns, but the entire Fargodome roof structure and walls were designed and built with those pesky corner columns there. To design a project to remove them would basically call for a new design for the entire building. The entire roof would have to be removed and built with supports from the exterior of the building (behind the seats). The walls simply cannot be thickened to support this new roof. The soft clay ground in the Red River Valley would not support more weight. New cassions would have to be drilled down to bedrock all around the dome to support the new load bearing walls or columns.

In summary there is a much better chance that Carl Pohlad will foot the ENTIRE cost of the new Twins stadium than those in charge of the Fargodome to even CONSIDER such a project.

02Bison
05-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Why risk ruining a good thing? I think the Fargo Dome is pretty darn nice the way it is.

Bisonguy
05-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I am not saying that it is impossible to remove those columns, but the entire Fargodome roof structure and walls were designed and built with those pesky corner columns there. *To design a project to remove them would basically call for a new design for the entire building. *The entire roof would have to be removed and built with supports from the exterior of the building (behind the seats). *The walls simply cannot be thickened to support this new roof. *The soft clay ground in the Red River Valley would not support more weight. *New cassions would have to be drilled down to bedrock all around the dome to support the new load bearing walls or columns.

In summary there is a much better chance that Carl Pohlad will foot the ENTIRE cost of the new Twins stadium than those in charge of the Fargodome to even CONSIDER such a project.

Speaking of caissons.....

FARGO: A CITY BUILT ON "STILTS" (http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/fargo_geology/caissons.htm)

Swaghook
05-10-2006, 12:27 AM
(Thanks to Swaghook for a little engineering support)

I'm not an engineer, but it doesn't take one to realize how the dome is structured just by seeing it from the inside. Less money would be spent building an outdoor stadium the size of Wash-Griz then to raise the roof of the Dome and expand the seating underneath.

02Bison
05-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Until the Bison consistently sell out their games in the Dome, I think this whole discussion is moot.

Bisonguy
05-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Until the Bison consistently sell out their games in the Dome, I think this whole discussion is moot. *

++

Let's see the Fargodome with 20,000+ (standing room only in the corners) at every game first!!

Once that happens, there's a few options, including raising ticket prices.

broke_back_mnt
05-10-2006, 01:56 AM
That would be nice but as far as stadium planning goes you would be behind the curve. We are already certain that will happen, we just arent certain when.

kchats
05-10-2006, 03:49 AM
I was in the hole while they were drilling the caissons for the dome with my soils engineering class. There were alot of caissons and they were big about 8'-0" in diameter and 100 feet deep down to bedrock. I think there were about 170-200 of them under the dome. Fargo has horrible soils and the only way you can support anything of size is to go to bedrock.

Bisonguy
05-10-2006, 03:53 AM
I was in the hole while they were drilling the caissons for the dome with my soils engineering class. *There were alot of caissons and they were big about 8'-0" in diameter and 100 feet deep down to bedrock. *I think there were about 170-200 of them under the dome. *Fargo has horrible soils and the only way you can support anything of size is to go to bedrock.

Look at the 'Fargo:City on stilts' link I posted above. Over 240 caissons in the Fargodome. :o

kchats
05-10-2006, 04:00 AM
They were everywhere and they were big. I was a concrete inspector that summer and I had a bunch of concrete trucks show up at my job sites with FargoDome Caisson concrete very high slump stuff there.

NanoBison
05-10-2006, 05:14 AM
I love costruction stuff. Very cool. Most of the buildings in Fargo that are big need those Caissons. Even the new Scheels store is built on them. Imagine those buildings sinking into the ground??? (Thats what happened to Numeier Hall at MSUM, very cool demolition...) I have a pic of that somewhere, I'll post it if I find it.

MplsBison
05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Well it appears my idea would cost too much money.

Oh well, wishful thinking I guess.

I still don't think it would as complex as you guys seem to think it would.

pmp6nl
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I am not saying that it is impossible to remove those columns, but the entire Fargodome roof structure and walls were designed and built with those pesky corner columns there. To design a project to remove them would basically call for a new design for the entire building. The entire roof would have to be removed and built with supports from the exterior of the building (behind the seats). The walls simply cannot be thickened to support this new roof. The soft clay ground in the Red River Valley would not support more weight. New cassions would have to be drilled down to bedrock all around the dome to support the new load bearing walls or columns.

Im not an engineer, but I would have to agree. If they were not needed, then they wouldnt not be there!

Gamehunter
05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure this is common knowledge, but the dome is currently going through some changes. The escalators to the new football lockerooms are going to be installed very shortly. The football locker rooms themeslves are comming along nicely as well, but are a ways from being done. There is also going to be a new entrance onto the concourse that will come out at about the 50 yard line on the East side. They have already cut the hole and I think it will look quite nice.

MplsBison
05-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Where are they installing escalators? Underneath the current one's in the entrance plaza?

Gamehunter
05-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Where are they installing escalators? Underneath the current one's in the entrance plaza?

Yes, the new escalators will be located directly underneath the existing ones. I thought they were going to punch the holes this week, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.