PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Valley State Marching Band

tony
05-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I'd love to see a SWAC marching band in the FargoDome for Homecoming. Anybody know if it's even a possibility?

MinotBison
05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
They are good, that's for sure.

imabison
05-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I'd love to see a SWAC marching band in the FargoDome for Homecoming. Anybody know if it's even a possibility?

Anything is possible if there is financial support to do it. Back in the good days of the NDSU Marching Band when they actually marched and played, prior to the present director, NDSU always worked with different bands to travel and play at their school if they came to Fargo. SDSU was the prominent school.

Sure wish Wayne Dorothy was still the director of bands, they did move and field, he worked very hard on programs for the band. The current director is still using some of his program to this day.

I am not saying that Orv was not good, he was just before my time. I wonder how Orv is doing, I have not seen him in several years, but I think he moved from North Fargo.

El_Chapitan
05-25-2006, 04:20 AM
First of all, its homecoming so they would never get time to play, and second, its athletics who has to allow them to come and play and have seating and such. Not the director. Athletics doesn't accomodate well, but is better than some.

lakesbison
05-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I LOVE THAT MOVIE "DRUMLINE!"

Maybe NDSU can ask for $2 from all the ticket holders that day.

18,000 X $2 = $36,000 that should get them up there?

Hell I pay $5 for crappy cover charge for Betty Does Veronica at Playmakers every weekend.. ha ha

imabison
05-27-2006, 05:27 AM
First of all, its homecoming so they would never get time to play, and second, its athletics who has to allow them to come and play and have seating and such. Not the director. Athletics doesn't accomodate well, but is better than some.

You are correct its up to the Athletic Department if they will allow them to play, but its up to the Director of Bands to set it up, and arrange the programs to fit.

sambini
05-28-2006, 02:52 AM
BRING THEM UP+++++++++++++++++++++

Bisonguy
05-28-2006, 03:12 AM
SWAC Attack!

MinotBison
05-28-2006, 04:05 AM
BRING THEM UP+++++++++++++++++++++

Does anyone know (roughly) how much it would cost to bring them up here?

roadwarrior
05-28-2006, 06:36 AM
About $150,000

lakesbison
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
OK.. .. Ill pay $8 more for a ticket for that game..

bring them up!!

El_Chapitan
05-31-2006, 02:39 AM
You are correct its up to the Athletic Department if they will allow them to play, but its up to the Director of Bands to set it up, and arrange the programs to fit.

Their band has to want to come up. *When they do, then they talk to the Director of Bands(sometimes. some skip that step and go directly to athletics) who will then talk to athletics. *Then athletics splits the 12 minutes, or since its homecoming, 8 or 9 minutes at most between the two bands.

sambini
06-04-2006, 09:56 AM
DOATE THEM SOME FREQUENT FLIER MILES+++++++++++++

MinotBison
06-04-2006, 05:23 PM
It would be interesting to hear from someone at MVSU as to the possibility of this happening. :) :)

TriCollegeBison
06-04-2006, 07:42 PM
To the best of my knowledge, in the Big Ten, the bands get full control of halftime and divide the time up however needed. That's why often bands are able to travel to rival schools. That's not the case here. Athletics owns halftime. The band basically gets whatever time is left after throwing footballs in tubs and introducing every person ever to play a sport in North Dakota. The NDSU band gets 9 minutes at best at homecoming. That includes getting on and off the field - about a minute on and off. If you do the math, you'll see it's not worth the trip for MVSU to sit up in the stands. Athletics would have to make time for them. It's wishful thinking at best, even though I would like to see them come up.