PDA

View Full Version : NDSU and FARGO Police.. whats up with this?

lakesbison
08-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Party Patrol.... Fargo Police....... in my opinion go WAY too far on NDSU students..

I personally believe. and I know this for a FACT, that many many kids don't want to goto NDSU SOLELY because of the reputation the POLICE and PARTY PATROL has given the NDSU campus....

Kids choose other campuses, when it comes down to a decision based on this SOMETIMES.. *dont give me the WE DONT WANT THOSE KIDS ANYWAYS* BS......

Im just telling you like it is, my lil brother's friends 17,18 have told me .. yea I was going to go to NDSU, but I heard it's like a military zone on thur/fri/sat nights..

I grad NDSU in 99, and I don't remember the police being bad.. til just recently.

Then EVERY tv station and FORUM leads with this : >>>> article of SCARE

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=137347&section=news

Its already started ^^^^^^^^^^^

WYOBISONMAN
08-24-2006, 05:19 AM
i doubt that anyone would seriously make a decision on where to attend school based on the "Party Patrol"..............although I do agree that this emphasis on nailing college students that have a few keggers is Bull......

lakesbison
08-24-2006, 05:52 AM
no no.. read my post more careful.

I knew someone would say that, that's why i put that disclaimer.. "some kids.. SOME"

and when there is equal playing ground and he/she is wieghing pos and negatives..... this doesnt help NDSU.. and its used as a scare tactic!!!

STOP THE PARTY PATROl.. and the BSA PATROL *according to last nite*

grrrr let the kids enjoy college,,, my freakin GOD>!

bisonaudit
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
The University is worried about getting sued so they do everything they can to make sure that the public knows they are doing everthing they can to keep their kids safe.

This stuff ends up in the paper because Nona Wood and her gang of anti-alcohol zellots make sure that it does.

This Jonny Holm thing the last two years now is really a college entrance exam. If you're stupid enough to walk up to a cop in the street with an open container maybe you should spend a year or two at a community college learning the ropes first. :)

WYOBISONMAN
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
And.........I bet when I come to the Cal Poly game at the Fargodome......I can still figure out how to get booze in with out getting caught!! ;)

broke_back_mnt
08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
I dont think its bull. Its no different than setting up checkpoints on the highways. Society has chosen to enforce it rules about alcohol. It should be done. To insist that people have the right to break the law, or that law enforcement should look the other way is wrong.

IowaBison
08-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I have no problem with the efforts by the Fargo PD, especially early on in the year.

I am a little pissed about yesterday's coverage in the Forum. They referred to the arrest of two individuals, including printing their names, for minor in consumption and public urination.

I'm not anti-alcohol by any means, but individuals need to learn quickly how to intelligent deal with alcohol (and a hundred other things).

Rule 1. Never drink and drive.
Rule 2. Never become intoxicated in public.

I admit that I have difficulty with the second one during tailgating.

From today's Forum:

Sanders said several citations were issued for people carrying open containers while traveling on foot to the dance. Some walked right up to an officer who was patrolling an intersection.

I'm sorry but people this stupid should not be allowed to attend my alma mater.

broke_back_mnt
08-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Good points. Ive been tricked by beer to have one or two "extra ones" myself when tailgating. 8-)

mebison
08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Bah, I don't see any problem with the cop's actions here. *The kids were drunk and pissing in the parking lot. *In general, I'd rather not have people pissing anywhere I have to walk. *How many brain cells would it have taken to figure out NOT to get plastered to the point of public urination and then go to a public dance on a dry campus where you KNOW there's going to be a police presence? *They got what they deserved.

The fact that people drink their way into the hospital shows that some people can't handle themselves responsibly so its for everyone's protection that the police look at this.

By the way, as for the kids who choose not to attend NDSU because of the party patrol, consider also the number of kids whose parent's have a good opinion about NDSU because they hear the school and community are concerned about binge drinking and student safety. *Then consider which kids you want on campus more.

lakesbison
08-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Yea.. Freedom's should be trampled by the long arm of the party patrol.. sounds good to me...

I still think it's all a bad sign for NDSU that this gets so much publicity, its like the forum and wday have nothing better to do but overblow this stuff.

So what a few kids got drunk, Do we need to hide out in alleys and walk the sidewalks listening for parties ???? How is that right of privacy??

dont get me started on the checkpoints...

87Bisonfan
08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't think the Fargo police were on a secret mission to bust a bunch of college kids. *It was probably well known that police would be at the event to enforce the rules, the police didn't make the rules, they are just enforcing them. *If you don't like the rules and want to be able to have a few drinks and urinate in public, talk to your lawmakers. If you want privacy, stay in your home and drink.

All the bad publicity reflects on what the media wants to report on. *Apparently they feel there is value in reporting this type of stuff. *Personally I would prefer they would not report this, but I am not in the media business and they apparently have their reasons.

BisonBacker
08-24-2006, 04:01 PM
This is to be expected given the events of the last two years at another local college. We don't need a repeat of that kind of problem at NDSU.

WYOBISONMAN
08-24-2006, 06:50 PM
But.........to not admit that partys, drinking to excess on occasion, sneaking booze into a football game is not a very real part of ones college life is living in a make believe world. It is a rite of passage and a part of almost every student's college career. To attempt to make college life at NDSU "booze free" may be a fantasy of Nona Wood and some folks at the Fargo PD, but I think it is wrong. I guess I still cherish my right in Wyoming to drink a beer and drive down the highway.....

When I was at NDSU the cops would show up if a party got out of hand (as they should). But, they were not out writing a ticket to anyone that smelled like they had drank a beer.

As for the students getting nailed for walking to the dance with booze out in the open......damn that was stupid.....hide it!!

sambini
08-24-2006, 07:35 PM
KNOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN. BE RESPONSIBLE. THESE PEOPLE WERE NOT.

NDSU_grad
08-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Yea.. Freedom's should be trampled by the long arm of the party patrol.. sounds good to me...

Seriously? Maybe you could point to the specific freedom being "trampled" on by the party patrol.

sambini
08-24-2006, 07:46 PM
They were all underage, drunk in public. What do you want them to do?

WYOBISONMAN
08-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Drunk in public.....getting out of hand.....obnoxious......pissing in public.....I would say give them a ticket. But, in the recent past the police have gone beyond that with this Party Patrol concept.

roadwarrior
08-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Where is the intelligence today? When I was in school, we used a little common sense NOT to get caught!

TransAmBison
08-24-2006, 09:39 PM
But.........to not admit that partys, drinking to excess on occasion, sneaking booze into a football game is not a very real part of ones college life is living in a make believe world. *It is a rite of passage and a part of almost every student's college career. *To attempt to make college life at NDSU "booze free" *may be a fantasy of Nona Wood and some folks at the Fargo PD, but I think it is wrong. *I guess I still cherish my right in Wyoming to drink a beer and drive down the highway.....

When I was at NDSU the cops would show up if a party got out of hand (as they should). *But, they were not out writing a ticket to anyone that smelled like they had drank a beer.

As for the students getting nailed for walking to the dance with booze out in the open......damn that was stupid.....hide it!!
You pretty much nailed it on the head.

SDbison
08-24-2006, 10:35 PM
I like the part where they grab people because they smelled like booze. *So pretty soon cops can come into your house and trash the place because you look like a law breaker? *This anti-booze thing is going way too far. *Every day there are more and more of the sobriety checks being set up on the highway. *To me stopping a vehicle without any suspicious behavior is trampling law abiding peoples rights. *It is an inconvenience and makes one feel like they are guilty before being proven innocent. *Society needs more emphasis on education regarding alcohol. *Actions like what NDSU and Fargo police are doing will not stop a student from drinking themselves stupid or dead no more than sobriety checks keep the habitual drunk from killing an entire family. *How many times in the headlines do you see the guy with his double digit arrest for DUI (now thats a problem in more than one way). *So instead the police will arrest and punish good citizens for being just over the .08 limit. *(used to be .10 and I am sure the zero tolerance folks want it to be .000002) What about people on cell phones or driving with 2 hours rest? *They could actually be more dangerous and there are more of them. *If a student acts stupid, pisses in public, or openly displays a bottle when they are underage then they deserve what they get. *Putting every student under the microscope to see if they have a lick of booze is ridiculous. *Common sense people, common sense. *

lakesbison
08-25-2006, 04:00 AM
AMEN!!

it reminds me of a COMI hunt from the cold war era.

Oh... he SMELLS like booze.. he's getting a breatholizer!! ha ha. what the HELL is that??

NDSUstudent
08-25-2006, 04:45 AM
There is nothing wrong with having a little fun drinking every now and then but the reason the police are zeroing in on this concert is that some people can't handle being responsible with alcohol. If people would have been responsible in the first place the police wouldn't need to stake out this concert. If people would have been responsible the Forum wouldn't be making this into such a big deal. For a few kids my age it seems like the only way they can have fun is if they are completely wasted and sadly these are the people that ruin it for everybody. For what some of these idiots do I agree that all of this is necessary, police need to protect them and innocent people from the damage they may cause and the Forum should be exposing the problem because there is definately a problem in this area with drinking. IMO people shouldn't be blaming the cops or the Forum they should be blaming the idiots who can't control themselves for this problem.

Also, I am pretty sure party patrol is dead and police only break up parties if they have a reason to do it. And Fargo is far from a war zone on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, if you want to have some fun you can as long as you are repsonible. Which would be staying inside the house or wherever your drinking, not driving your neighbors crazy, and not driving drunk.

broke_back_mnt
08-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I agree NDSUstudent. *Certainly, if your arrested, its not the fault of the police! *Personal accountability has gone by the wayside with the rise of trial lawyers and extended concepts on negligence.

A current forum topic "Who should be held responsible when rental property residents cause problems?" is a classic case of this type of confusion. Why not the residents? Why look for someone else to blame? This time its not law enforcement but the evil landlords that should be at fault but its the same confused thinking.

If your breaking the law, even participating in a long held right of passage like getting drunk at college events, its your fault not law enforcement.

NDSUguy
08-25-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree NDSUstudent. Certainly, if your arrested, its not the fault of the police! Personal accountability has gone by the wayside with the rise of trial lawyers and extended concepts on negligence.

A current forum topic "Who should be held responsible when rental property residents cause problems?" is a classic case of this type of confusion. Why not the residents? Why look for someone else to blame? This time its not law enforcement but the evil landlords that should be at fault but its the same confused thinking.

If your breaking the law, even participating in a long held right of passage like getting drunk at college events, its your fault not law enforcement.

I agree! I have ZERO sympathy for the students who were issued citations. They were stupid with their alcohol and the idea that laws should not be enforced because it makes NDSU look bad is rediculous. Personally, I could care less if a student doesn't choose NDSU because the perception is that they are tougher (which in reality they are not that tough) on underage drinking.

I feel that Lakes was upset by this because he has this hope that NDSU will always only have positive comments said about the school. It's not as if publishing reports on cops busting students is new and it certainly does not cause a blemish for the school. On the other side of the coin, what happened across the river a few years back will CERATINLY cause a blemish. IMO, I would rather have the FPD and NDSU look like they want to help students.

Herd_Mentality
08-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I think the problem is we have a whole new generation of students, ones that now have to put up with things like taking breathalyzers just to get into high school dances. Isn't what happened at this dance just moving towards that? I think that is totally wrong that as long as someone may smell of booze that they get read the riot act. People have been getting arrested for public intoxication, urination, minor in possession for years in Fargo. It's nothing new. However, it really bothers me that the FPD goes all out on something like this putting so many officers a couple blocks from campus (in plain clothes even). There are so many other issues going on in this town... At least now I know which night I should pick for my crime spree every year. The cops will all be busy giving breathalyzers on campus. The wrong message is being sent...we want you to come to our school, but don't think about testing any boundaries or parking just off campus...and don't even think about acting like a 18-21 year old.

NDSUguy
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I think the problem is we have a whole new generation of students, ones that now have to put up with things like taking breathalyzers just to get into high school dances. Isn't what happened at this dance just moving towards that? I think that is totally wrong that as long as someone may smell of booze that they get read the riot act. People have been getting arrested for public intoxication, urination, minor in possession for years in Fargo. It's nothing new. However, it really bothers me that the FPD goes all out on something like this putting so many officers a couple blocks from campus (in plain clothes even). There are so many other issues going on in this town... At least now I know which night I should pick for my crime spree every year. The cops will all be busy giving breathalyzers on campus. The wrong message is being sent...we want you to come to our school, but don't think about testing any boundaries or parking just off campus...and don't even think about acting like a 18-21 year old.

Since when did breaking the law become justified??? The problem is not with the FPD. The problem is that we live in a society where people tell 18-21 year olds that it's totally OK to braek the law and we write that off as "kids being kids" or "it's part of the college experience". How is what the FPD did any different than what the highway patrol or FPD does on the 4th of july or on New Years? It's not. The FPD wants kids (and more importantly innocent people) to be safe.

In regards to "smelling alcohol"... Do we really believe that police officers were stopping random people leaving the BSA? No. The police are looking for people who show signs of being drunk. If there is a group of people who get stopped by the police and the all smell like booze they should be cited (or at least given a breathilizer). The idea that the police set up security check points (a la TSA at the airport) not realistic and kind of silly.

While I won't be the person who tries to tell people what not to do, I certainly won't complain about the FPD doing their job and trying to care for the community as a whole. I believe that there were 37 people cited for violation and although I can't prove it, I imagine that each and every one of them showed drunken behavior (in some way shape or form).

Herd_Mentality
08-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I think the problem is we have a whole new generation of students, ones that now have to put up with things like taking breathalyzers just to get into high school dances. *Isn't what happened at this dance just moving towards that? *I think that is totally wrong that as long as someone may smell of booze that they get read the riot act. *People have been getting arrested for public intoxication, urination, minor in possession for years in Fargo. *It's nothing new. *However, it really bothers me that the FPD goes all out on something like this putting so many officers a couple blocks from campus (in plain clothes even). *There are so many other issues going on in this town... *At least now I know which night I should pick for my crime spree every year. *The cops will all be busy giving breathalyzers on campus. *The wrong message is being sent...we want you to come to our school, but don't think about testing any boundaries or parking just off campus...and don't even think about acting like a 18-21 year old.

Since when did breaking the law become justified??? *The problem is not with the FPD. *The problem is that we live in a society where people tell 18-21 year olds that it's totally OK to braek the law and we write that off as "kids being kids" or "it's part of the college experience". *How is what the FPD did any different than what the highway patrol or FPD does on the 4th of july or on New Years? *It's not. *The FPD wants kids (and more importantly innocent people) to be safe. *

In regards to "smelling alcohol"... *Do we really believe that police officers were stopping random people leaving the BSA? *No. *The police are looking for people who show signs of being drunk. *If there is a group of people who get stopped by the police and the all smell like booze they should be cited (or at least given a breathilizer). *The idea that the police set up security check points (a la TSA at the airport) not realistic and kind of silly. *

While I won't be the person who tries to tell people what not to do, I certainly won't complain about the FPD doing their job and trying to care for the community as a whole. *I believe that there were 37 people cited for violation and although I can't prove it, I imagine that each and every one of them showed drunken behavior (in some way shape or form).

Whoa cowboy. I never said it was ok to break the law. However, I don't think it's ok or efficient use of the FPD's time to crack down on a subset of the population like that. It's profiling, plain and simple. That's the mentality in this town...that college students are all guilty of something. "Bring your economic impact, but we don't want anything else to do with you"

TransAmBison
08-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I'll go on record saying it is okay to drink in college, even when said student is underage, even though that is against the law. You heard it here folks, TransAmBison has said it is okay to break the law. I really don't care for all the pc rhetoric that is cluttering the board where people morph underage drinking into a bigger topic of breaking the law in general. Anybody who stands on a pedestal talking about saying it isn't okay to break the law but drank underage themselves is being a hypocrite. Hey, if kids are being stupid and get caught, it is their own fault. We've just kinda got the wrong image of the FPD the last how many years with some of the police tactics, such as the party patrol. (maybe it still exists, maybe it doesn't)

NDSUguy
08-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I'll go on record saying it is okay to drink in college, even when said student is underage, even though that is against the law. You heard it here folks, TransAmBison has said it is okay to break the law. I really don't care for all the pc rhetoric that is cluttering the board where people morph underage drinking into a bigger topic of breaking the law in general. Anybody who stands on a pedestal talking about saying it isn't okay to break the law but drank underage themselves is being a hypocrite. Hey, if kids are being stupid and get caught, it is their own fault. We've just kinda got the wrong image of the FPD the last how many years with some of the police tactics, such as the party patrol. (maybe it still exists, maybe it doesn't)

When people who are not of age choose to drink they take their chances with the law every time they choose to drink. Making statements that condemn the FPD for doing their job and upholding a law (at local, state and national level) is silly.

The facts are this... The FPD was policing an event where there has historically caused problems in the past. People talk about profiling as if they are targeting college kids... This simply is not true. They are looking out for the best interest of the community when doing this. In my mind, having them hang around outside is no different than the cops who sit outside WE FEST after the shows are done. Does anyone complain of profiling then? No. People who choose to drink at that event have to abide by the law. If they don't they'll be ticketed.

Do you think that the FPD doing this is just happening in Fargo? No, this happening all over the USA. My first two years of college I went to the University of Colorado in Boulder. I decided to move home and graduate at NDSU for of various reasons. I can tell you however that the Boulder Police Department did the same kinds of things there. If you were caught underage and drinking in Boulder you would be cited. Plain and Simple.

It sounds as if you folks on here think that the FPD has something against NDSU. The fact is that the FPD has been doing this for years and years and you're only pissed off because local news media decides to report this.

Oh, and by the way, the "party patrol" that everyone mentions was something that was conjured up by the media. In 1999-2000 that term was coined when police started getting aggressive in busting out of control parties. There was never a group of police officers who's only duty was to crack down on underage drinking.

Scooter
08-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Let's just drop the drinking age back down to 18. *Hell, if you are old enough to be charged as an adult, old enough to vote for president, and old enough to get into the military you can have a beer in my book. *Until that time (which will never happen) we are stuck with the law.

But, lagally drinking at 19 when I went to school in MN, was great! (remember Mick's South? What a wonderful meat market!)

Herd_Mentality
08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
The party patrol WAS NOT made up by the media... In fact, the party patrol was post 2000 at any rate.

I think it's profiling when you take a majority of your police force to a certain area like that when rioting isn't occuring. I can understand them dispatching a few officers to the area, which is normally done. I would love to see how many cops were on duty that night and how many of them were in spitting distance of campus.

Hammersmith
08-26-2006, 02:32 AM
The Party Patrol began in November of 1999. The following Forum article excerpt is the first instance in print.

Fargo 'party patrol' handles 70 juveniles over weekend
11/16/1999

More than 70 people were cited, arrested or referred to juvenile court by Fargo police officers working a "party patrol" over the weekend.

Five extra officers worked Friday or Saturday night to handle only underage drinking or loud-party complaints, Fargo Police Lt. Keith Ternes said Monday.

"I'm really pleased with how this went, and you can count on it for future weekends," Magnus said.

The media may have coined the term, but it was adopted, at least unofficially, by the FPD as the patrols became a regular occurrence.

Law enforcement, Party patrol ready to bust 'em
By Jeff Zent - 02/03/2001

Cass County and Fargo law enforcement officials say they are geared up to bust more underage party goers this weekend.

The party patrol, a joint effort between the Cass County Sheriff's Office and the Fargo Police Department, will hit Fargo streets this weekend, continuing their assault on underage drinking.

NanoBison
08-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Let's just drop the drinking age back down to 18. Hell, if you are old enough to be charged as an adult, old enough to vote for president, and old enough to get into the military you can have a beer in my book. Until that time (which will never happen) we are stuck with the law.

But, lagally drinking at 19 when I went to school in MN, was great! (remember Mick's South? What a wonderful meat market!)

How about we just get rid of the drinking age and smoking age all together? Let the parents bring thier children up responsibly. If you take away the attraction of "being able to finally drink/smoke" I seriously doubt many people would put so much emphasis on drinking, especially at social gatherings. Besides, Germany seems to do fine with this idea...

:D

02Bison
08-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I dont think its bull. *Its no different than setting up checkpoints on the highways. *Society has chosen to enforce it rules about alcohol. *It should be done. *To insist that people have the right to break the law, or that law enforcement should look the other way is wrong. *

++++++++++++++++++++

02Bison
08-26-2006, 03:13 PM

I still think it's all a bad sign for NDSU that this gets so much publicity, its like the forum and wday have nothing better to do but overblow this stuff.

So what a few kids got drunk, Do we need to hide out in alleys and walk the sidewalks listening for parties ???? *How is that right of privacy??

dont get me started on the checkpoints...

You don't have the freedom to act disorderly. The police are a good thing. I'm glad we have them. If people can't control themselves, the cops will maintain both law and order!

02Bison
08-26-2006, 03:21 PM
They were all underage, drunk in public. What do you want them to *do?

Give them a minor, make them appear in court, and make them serve community service or pay a fine. If they think they are old enough and deserve the freedom to drink, they should pay the consequences of the law when they don't follow the law. *There was a quote in the Forum from someone in the "Student Affairs" department of one of the local universities recently. I can't remember who it was but I'll paraphrase it...there is a culture in the uppermidwest that binge drinking is acceptable. This needs to change. *I couldn't agree more and am apalled that some on this board think that kids should be able to do whatever they want, piss in public, etc. *They are giving my Alma Mater a bad name and I don't like it. Thank you Fargo police for making every effort possible to control people who either can't or don't want to control themselves. We have laws and if someone feels they are above the law or don't have to follow it, then they deserve to be caught and pay the consequences. *If you don't like my opinion, then you are probably part of this group and would be better living with the Freemen in Montana. *

SDbison
08-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I think the underage students who drink are more of a reflection of those who are over 21. A small percentage drink to excess, most have a few drinks to feel good, relax and enjoy a social outing, and some choose not to drink. What amazes me is how much focus society puts on penalizing young adults who have done nothing else but place a liquor bottle in hand. Those who act up and do juvenile things such as fighting, destroying property and driving intoxicated deserve their punishment. Coming down on students in one small area of town with swat team like organization to write tickets for underage consumption is misuse of taxpayer resources. The police should be focusing on catching real criminals like robbers, drug dealers, etc. Just because a realtively small portion of society has a problem with drinking doesn't justify the over emphasis on underage drinking. Many people on this board were college students at one time and I am sure most of them drank on occasion while they were underage. I have no problem with monitoring the students to keep things in check, but to outright screen most every one of them is abuse. Funny thing, all the focus on policing will do little to curb underage drinking. If there are going to be changes parental involvement at an earlier age to discuss drinking responsibly will make the biggest difference.

02Bison
08-27-2006, 05:08 PM
I think the underage students who drink are more of a reflection of those who are over 21. *A small percentage drink to excess, most have a few drinks to feel good, relax and enjoy a social outing, and some choose not to drink. *What amazes me is how much focus society puts on penalizing young adults who have done nothing else but place a liquor bottle in hand. *Those who act up and do juvenile things such as fighting, destroying property and driving intoxicated deserve their punishment. *Coming down on students in one small area of town with swat team like organization to write tickets for underage consumption is misuse of taxpayer resources. *The police should be focusing on catching real criminals like robbers, drug dealers, etc. *Just because a realtively small portion of society has a problem with drinking doesn't justify the over emphasis on underage drinking. *Many people on this board were college students at one time and I am sure most of them drank on occasion while they were underage. *I have no problem with monitoring the students to keep things in check, but to outright screen most every one of them is abuse. *Funny thing, all the focus on policing will do little to curb underage drinking. *If there are going to be changes parental involvement at an earlier age to discuss drinking responsibly will make the biggest difference.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to disagree with you. *The statistics on underage drinking and abuse are startling. *That's why it is a focus for Police. It prevents a public safety risk for all, and a health risk for the individuals involved. *Here are some statistics (http://www.focusas.com/Alcohol.html):

The average age when youth first try alcohol is 11 years for boys and 13 years for girls. *The average age at which Americans begin drinking regularly is 15.9 years old.

According to research by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, adolescents who begin drinking before age 15 are four times more likely to develop alcohol dependence than those who begin drinking at age 21.

An early age of drinking onset is also *associated with alcohol-related violence not only among persons under age 21 but among adults as well.

It has been estimated that over three million teenagers are out-and-out alcoholics. *Several million more have a serious drinking problem that they cannot manage on their own.

The three leading causes of death for 15- to 24-year-olds are automobile crashes, homicides and suicides -- alcohol is a leading factor in all three.

Binge drinking, often beginning around age 13, tends to increase during adolescence, peak in young adulthood (ages 18-22), then gradually decrease. *Individuals who increase their binge drinking from age 18 to 24 and those who consistently binge drink at least once a week during this period may have problems attaining the goals typical of the transition from adolescence to young adulthood (e.g., marriage, educational attainment, employment, and financial independence).

Dependence on alcohol and other drugs is also associated with several psychiatric problems, *such as:

depression

anxiety

oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)

antisocial personality disorder

And you think its not a serious issue that Police should focus time and resources on? I think you should rethink that stance SDBison because as the quote below states, your attitude is contributing to the the ongoing problem.

Peer drinking and peer acceptance of drinking have also been associated with adolescent drinking.

broke_back_mnt
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
"Funny thing, all the focus on policing will do little to curb underage drinking."

You know something: *All the policing society has done since civilization has started hasn't stopped crime. *I wonder why. *Was it all a waste?

02Bison
08-27-2006, 11:08 PM
"Funny thing, all the focus on policing will do little to curb underage drinking."

You know something: *All the policing society has done since civilization has started hasn't stopped crime. *I wonder why. *Was it all a waste?

No, it isn't all a waste. Just think of what it would be like if they made no effort to police it....can you say chaos? *

TransAmBison
08-27-2006, 11:38 PM
So, 02Bison, did you ever drink before you were 21?

TransAmBison
08-27-2006, 11:42 PM
I'll go on record saying it is okay to drink in college, even when said student is underage, even though that is against the law. *You heard it here folks, TransAmBison has said it is okay to break the law. *I really don't care for all the pc rhetoric that is cluttering the board where people morph underage drinking into a bigger topic of breaking the law in general. *Anybody who stands on a pedestal talking about saying it isn't okay to break the law but drank underage themselves is being a hypocrite. Hey, if kids are being stupid and get caught, it is their own fault. *We've just kinda got the wrong image of the FPD the last how many years with some of the police tactics, such as the party patrol. *(maybe it still exists, maybe it doesn't)

When people who are not of age choose to drink they take their chances with the law every time they choose to drink. *Making statements that condemn the FPD for doing their job and upholding a law (at local, state and national level) is silly. *

The facts are this... *The FPD was policing an event where there has historically caused problems in the past. *People talk about profiling as if they are targeting college kids... *This simply is not true. *They are looking out for the best interest of the community when doing this. *In my mind, having them hang around outside is no different than the cops who sit outside WE FEST after the shows are done. *Does anyone complain of profiling then? No. *People who choose to drink at that event have to abide by the law. *If they don't they'll be ticketed. *

Do you think that the FPD doing this is just happening in Fargo? *No, this happening all over the USA. *My first two years of college I went to the University of Colorado in Boulder. *I decided to move home and graduate at NDSU for of various reasons. *I can tell you however that the Boulder Police Department did the same kinds of things there. *If you were caught underage and drinking in Boulder you would be cited. *Plain and Simple.

It sounds as if you folks on here think that the FPD has something against NDSU. *The fact is that the FPD has been doing this for years and years and you're only pissed off because local news media decides to report this. *

Oh, and by the way, the "party patrol" that everyone mentions was something that was conjured up by the media. *In 1999-2000 that term was coined when police started getting aggressive in busting out of control parties. *There was never a group of police officers who's only duty was to crack down on underage drinking. *

Hey buddy...your last statement...get your facts straight before you make such an absolute. There WAS a group of police that formed a party patrol. I personally saw them on several occasions walking door to door listening at porches. I am not lying or exagerating. Face it, it happened. Besides, it was public knowledge in the paper how the FPD received federal dollars to fund this.

Bisongold
08-28-2006, 02:44 AM
The years at college until you are 21 are the worst!! The statistics quoted are for the US and I would be interested to know what they are in a country where drinking is legal at a younger age. Until you are 21, you have to sneak around and go to parties discreetly. If you go to the country and drink, you better drink it all because you certainly don't want to be caught with anything in your car!! If you are at a party where alcohol is present, you should run like hell if it is busted because the party patrol will nail you if they catch you. After you are 21, things get easier. Just go to Chubs, etc. and party, then take a taxi home. Never serve alcohol to a minor, and never, never drive after drinking!
S

02Bison
08-28-2006, 11:23 PM

Only a wine cooler at family holiday gatherings or wine at Church communion. What point are you getting at? The point I'm getting at is that alcohol isn't a necessary ingredient for fun, but in looking at the culture in this area, too many people see it as the "ticket" to fun. I had no problems with the party patrol and anyone who didn't break the law shouldn't have problems with it either. The party patrol busted people breaking laws. If you think that was wrong, then you are not looking very closely in your mirror. Its about personal responsibility and its obvious some of you here don't want to take any.

02Bison
08-28-2006, 11:36 PM
I'll go on record saying it is okay to drink in college, even when said student is underage, even though that is against the law. *You heard it here folks, TransAmBison has said it is okay to break the law. *I really don't care for all the pc rhetoric that is cluttering the board where people morph underage drinking into a bigger topic of breaking the law in general. *Anybody who stands on a pedestal talking about saying it isn't okay to break the law but drank underage themselves is being a hypocrite. Hey, if kids are being stupid and get caught, it is their own fault. *We've just kinda got the wrong image of the FPD the last how many years with some of the police tactics, such as the party patrol. *(maybe it still exists, maybe it doesn't)

When people who are not of age choose to drink they take their chances with the law every time they choose to drink. *Making statements that condemn the FPD for doing their job and upholding a law (at local, state and national level) is silly. *

The facts are this... *The FPD was policing an event where there has historically caused problems in the past. *People talk about profiling as if they are targeting college kids... *This simply is not true. *They are looking out for the best interest of the community when doing this. *In my mind, having them hang around outside is no different than the cops who sit outside WE FEST after the shows are done. *Does anyone complain of profiling then? No. *People who choose to drink at that event have to abide by the law. *If they don't they'll be ticketed. *

Do you think that the FPD doing this is just happening in Fargo? *No, this happening all over the USA. *My first two years of college I went to the University of Colorado in Boulder. *I decided to move home and graduate at NDSU for of various reasons. *I can tell you however that the Boulder Police Department did the same kinds of things there. *If you were caught underage and drinking in Boulder you would be cited. *Plain and Simple.

It sounds as if you folks on here think that the FPD has something against NDSU. *The fact is that the FPD has been doing this for years and years and you're only pissed off because local news media decides to report this. *

Oh, and by the way, the "party patrol" that everyone mentions was something that was conjured up by the media. *In 1999-2000 that term was coined when police started getting aggressive in busting out of control parties. *There was never a group of police officers who's only duty was to crack down on underage drinking. *

Hey buddy...your last statement...get your facts straight before you make such an absolute. *There WAS a group of police that formed a party patrol. *I personally saw them on several occasions walking door to door listening at porches. *I am not lying or exagerating. *Face it, it happened. *Besides, it was public knowledge in the paper how the FPD received federal dollars to fund this.

They were on a foot patrol, and if they heard something rowdy, they scouted it out. They did nothing wrong. They simply enforced the laws and maintained the peace. You don't have a right to disturb the peace or break the law to party, but you do have the right to peacefully party. The cops did not bust people peacefully gathering socially. They busted out of hand parties or groups of people being loud. Accept responsibility. If you did, the cops wouldn't have to enforce responsibility for you.

TransAmBison
08-29-2006, 02:06 AM

Only a wine cooler at family holiday gatherings or wine at Church communion. What point are you getting at? *The point I'm getting at is that alcohol isn't a necessary ingredient for fun, but in looking at the culture in this area, *too many people see it as the "ticket" to fun. *I had no problems with the party patrol and anyone who didn't break the law shouldn't have problems with it either. *The party patrol busted people breaking laws. *If you think that was wrong, then you are not looking very closely in your mirror. Its about personal responsibility and its obvious some of you here don't want to take any.

Hehehe, wine cooler...that's funny...just kidding. Hey, if you didn't drink before you were legal, go ahead and cast stones, I won't step in your way.

TransAmBison
08-29-2006, 02:09 AM

Hey buddy...your last statement...get your facts straight before you make such an absolute. *There WAS a group of police that formed a party patrol. *I personally saw them on several occasions walking door to door listening at porches. *I am not lying or exagerating. *Face it, it happened. *Besides, it was public knowledge in the paper how the FPD received federal dollars to fund this.

They were on a foot patrol, and if they heard something rowdy, they scouted it out. *They did nothing wrong. *They simply enforced the laws and maintained the peace. * You don't have a right to disturb the peace or break the law to party, but you do have the right to peacefully party. The cops did not bust people peacefully gathering socially. They busted out of hand parties or groups of people being loud. *Accept responsibility. If you did, the cops wouldn't have to enforce responsibility for you. *

Like I said before, there was a "PARTY PATROL" not a "foot patrol" like you are now stating. I SAW it. If I wasn't there I wouldn't be so adament about it. Face it, they do bust parties that are a problem, but they also have gone out of their way to bust parties they had no business being at in the first place in the past. I have stories that I cannot forward on this board...could air dirty laundry about people on this board that they don't want aired.

NanoBison
08-29-2006, 02:55 AM
I think you guys are blowing the "militia"-like police topic way out of control.
I think you'll find, if you search the http://www.in-forum.com/collections/index.cfm?collection=crimewatch"]Police ("[url) Logs[/URL], you'll find pretty much every party that gets busted has a call related to it. That's right, some other citizen called them in. I could give a rats ass if there is underage drinking, but if the first thing you do when you all get back to the residence is crank up the speaker and being loud a-holes while other residents/neighbors are trying to enjoy a quite evening, of course you're going to get your ass busted. DUH. Every party I went to that was first thing they did. Crank the stereo ALL the way up. Dumbasses.

::)

jzillmer
08-29-2006, 03:37 AM
[/quote]
Like I said before, there was a "PARTY PATROL" not a "foot patrol" like you are now stating. *I SAW it. *If I wasn't there I wouldn't be so adament about it. *Face it, they do bust parties that are a problem, but they also have gone out of their way to bust parties they had no business being at in the first place in the past. *I have stories that I cannot forward on this board...could air dirty laundry about people on this board that they don't want aired.[/quote]

I'm going to have to side at least partially with Transam on this one. I know I've been to many a parties in my day and done a lot of stuff that probably should have been busted, or gotten me in trouble that didn't, but at the same time I have been a 1st hand witness to the Fargo PD completly over reacting to situations.

Two I can think of off the top of my head are sitting in an apartment on 10th street with 4 other guys all 21+ playing poker no music, but the guy that was knocked out was watching tv and we had the window open. Wouldn't you know it 7 officers show up and tell everyone that they have to either call a cab or walk home because they could hear the tv outside and they could see that there was alcohol in the apartment even though nobody there was loud, obniouxious, or had more that 2 beers. The other was the first Friday of school about 2 years ago I was stopped and carded 3 times by officers on foot, saw about 8 squad cars, and had a 4th officer on foot threaten me with an open container even though I carrying an unopened case *while walking from the corner of university and 11th ave to 12th ave and 14th st.

After being there up until this past May, and reading all of these threads about the college drinking in Fargo I think what this all boils down to a couple of things. One is that most of us are somewhere in the middle on this, have been there, realize that the parties are going to happen, and that there has to be a limit to it. The second is that '02 and lakes believe very strongly in the extreme opposite opinions but really don't fully agree with anyone else on the topic, and we should probably just put them in a room together and see which one comes out so that we can all move on. The last is that the kids in Fargo are going to drink and party no matter what, and for the most part the Fargo PD does a good job of getting to the parties/people that are out of hand, and pretty much leaving everyone else alone. That being said there are also about 3-4 times a year (1st weekend each new semester, Johnny Holmes concert, Homecoming) when anything from 10th-22nd st. and 4th-19ht ave get put on total lockdown, but even those weekends you can still get away with having a hell of a good time if you're smart about it.

TransAmBison
08-29-2006, 11:29 AM

Like I said before, there was a "PARTY PATROL" not a "foot patrol" like you are now stating. *I SAW it. *If I wasn't there I wouldn't be so adament about it. *Face it, they do bust parties that are a problem, but they also have gone out of their way to bust parties they had no business being at in the first place in the past. *I have stories that I cannot forward on this board...could air dirty laundry about people on this board that they don't want aired.

I'm going to have to side at least partially with Transam on this one. I know I've been to many a parties in my day and done a lot of stuff that probably should have been busted, or gotten me in trouble that didn't, but at the same time I have been a 1st hand witness to the Fargo PD completly over reacting to situations.

Two I can think of off the top of my head are sitting in an apartment on 10th street with 4 other guys all 21+ playing poker no music, but the guy that was knocked out was watching tv and we had the window open. Wouldn't you know it 7 officers show up and tell everyone that they have to either call a cab or walk home because they could hear the tv outside and they could see that there was alcohol in the apartment even though nobody there was loud, obniouxious, or had more that 2 beers. The other was the first Friday of school about 2 years ago I was stopped and carded 3 times by officers on foot, saw about 8 squad cars, and had a 4th officer on foot threaten me with an open container even though I carrying an unopened case *while walking from the corner of university and 11th ave to 12th ave and 14th st.

After being there up until this past May, and reading all of these threads about the college drinking in Fargo I think what this all boils down to a couple of things. One is that most of us are somewhere in the middle on this, have been there, realize that the parties are going to happen, and that there has to be a limit to it. The second is that '02 and lakes believe very strongly in the extreme opposite opinions but really don't fully agree with anyone else on the topic, and we should probably just put them in a room together and see which one comes out so that we can all move on. The last is that the kids in Fargo are going to drink and party no matter what, and for the most part the Fargo PD does a good job of getting to the parties/people that are out of hand, and pretty much leaving everyone else alone. That being said there are also about 3-4 times a year (1st weekend each new semester, Johnny Holmes concert, Homecoming) when anything from 10th-22nd st. and 4th-19ht ave get put on total lockdown, but even those weekends you can still get away with having a hell of a good time if you're smart about it.

Cheers to you++++

02Bison
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I think you guys are blowing the "militia"-like police topic way out of control.
I think you'll find, if you search the http://www.in-forum.com/collections/index.cfm?collection=crimewatch"]Police ("[url) Logs[/URL], you'll find pretty much every party that gets busted has a call related to it. That's right, some other citizen called them in. I could give a rats ass if there is underage drinking, but if the first thing you do when you all get back to the residence is crank up the speaker and being loud a-holes while other residents/neighbors are trying to enjoy a quite evening, of course you're going to get your ass busted. DUH. Every party I went to that was first thing they did. Crank the stereo ALL the way up. Dumbasses.

::)

+++ Couldn't have put it better.

Herd_Mentality
08-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Hmmmm....good NanoBison be a mispelling of?
:o

TransAmBison
08-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Hmmmm....good NanoBison be a mispelling of ?
hahahaha...very funny, but I don't think NanoBison has the capacity for that degree of evil. I mean, one would have to get a doctorate from evil school to be that evil.

NanoBison
08-31-2006, 06:17 AM
HM, I demand you apologize (...or pay me 100 cajillion dollars) ;D

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5351/drevilaq7.jpg

If you don't, I'll place you in an overly elaborate, yet easily escapable death sequence. :o

TransAmBison
08-31-2006, 12:13 PM
HM, I demand you apologize (...or pay me 100 cajillion dollars) * ;D

If you don't, I'll place you in an overly elaborate, yet easily escapable death sequence. *:o
NanoBison, I used to think you were crazy, but now I can see your nuts...

mebison
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM

If you don't, I'll place you in an overly elaborate, yet easily escapable death sequence. *:o

Might want to change that to "now I can see you're nuts".... ;)

TransAmBison
08-31-2006, 02:57 PM

Might want to change that to *"now I can see you're nuts".... ;)

It was intentional...Nano and I have that special kind of bond...

NanoBison
08-31-2006, 03:12 PM
HM, I demand you apologize (...or pay me 100 cajillion dollars) ;D

If you don't, I'll place you in an overly elaborate, yet easily escapable death sequence. :o

Might want to change that to "now I can see you're nuts".... ;)

It was intentional...Nano and I have that special kind of bond...

"There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking, really ... I suggest you try it" ;)

lakesbison
08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Watch for COPS on 12th avenue bridge.

(explain how this is freakin legal)

They have a officer with a radar gun standing at top of steps in middle of 12th avenue bridge.... then on the bottom of the bridge they pull you over on motorcycles..

How can they do this?!?!

its BULL!! I think

insane_ponderer
08-31-2006, 07:22 PM
yeah...its pretty common to have that speed trap there. they used to park cars in the yamaha lot and then on the other side of the bridge in that loading station lot. They also used motorcycle cops and would park one in that little inlet on the east side of the fine arts center.

sambini
09-01-2006, 04:11 AM
The motto on speed is nine your fine and ten your mine.

NanoBison
09-01-2006, 07:18 AM
I've never heard of allowing people going 9 over to get off with a warning. Especially on city streets. I always follow the rule of don't go above 5 mph over the limit. Then you're pretty safe.

To those bitching about the speed traps. Is there a reason you have to go above 40 mph over the 12th Ave bridge, especially with the amount of traffic on it with 19th being closed?
:-?

NanoBison
09-01-2006, 07:20 AM
lakes, is there ANYTHING you appreciate about the police? or are they all pigs to you? :-?

broke_back_mnt
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM

They have a officer with a radar gun standing at top of steps in middle of 12th avenue bridge.... *then on the bottom of the bridge they pull you over on motorcycles..

How can they do this?!?!

its BULL!! * I think

Its called law enforcement.

mebison
09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Pretty sure the illegal part is going 40 mph across that bridge. :-?

WYOBISONMAN
09-01-2006, 08:02 PM
After the theft of the Bottlewagon at the game last night I am almost ready to recant my thoughts that the Fargo cops are too tough..... :-?

sambini
09-02-2006, 02:56 AM
I've never heard of allowing people going 9 over to get off with a warning. Especially on city streets. I always follow the rule of don't go above 5 mph over the limit. Then you're pretty safe.

To those bitching about the speed traps. Is there a reason you have to go above 40 mph over the 12th Ave bridge, especially with the amount of traffic on it with 19th being closed?
:-?
AW THATS WHAT THEY SAY IN OKLAHOMA STATE PATROL. AND FARGO PD ARE VERY GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO. CHIEF TERNES IS ON OUR TEAMMAKER FUNDDRIVE . ALSO OFFICER JOEL VETTEL IS A FORMER BISON ALL AMERICAN WRESTLER.

02Bison
09-03-2006, 04:55 PM

They have a officer with a radar gun standing at top of steps in middle of 12th avenue bridge.... *then on the bottom of the bridge they pull you over on motorcycles..

How can they do this?!?!

its BULL!! * I think

Its 100% legal and 100% the right thing to do. *If you speed, you deserve to be pulled over. If you don't speed, you can continue to drive right on by. *Lakes, cops enforcing the laws are a necessary thing. *Try following the laws and respecting the cops doing their job and maybe you wouldn't have such a problem with them.