PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating in Minneapolis

IowaBison
08-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Thought I'd let everyone know that I'm doing a little footwork to find 'The Place' to tailgate before the Gophers game.

Apparently, Rapid Park just north of the Target Center is where Vikings fans meet and is the frontrunner. It's not too close to the dome, but is a stone's through from the light rail.

My big concern is toilet facilities.

Of the 300 diehard Gophers fans only two of them tailgate, so it is hard getting good information out of them.

NDSUguy
08-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Being that i live, work and play in downtown minneapolis I can tell you that the best spot would have to be at the liquor depot on washington. The problem is that there is about 30 spots left and outside of that parking lot there isn't much left. I would say that the rapid park will be no more than half full. Besides the lots on washington there are many open air parking lots with in a few blocks of the dome. I think that the biggest is probably on the corner of Sixth Street and Portland.

lakesbison
08-17-2006, 02:44 PM
This will be my THIRD post about tailgating for the NDSU-GOPHER game.

Liqour Depot (which isn't there anymore by the way) there is a film processing company kiddy corner from there.

its an average gravel parking lot, and its where diehard Viking Fans tailgate (back in the day before the GAY opera house opened, it was THE place to be!)

There are portapotty's there, and its $20 probably a car. Bring your battlewagons, trucks there... I have many memories of stumbling to the Vikings games from that spot.

NDSU alumni has a tent on the South East corner of the Dome, but I will be at Liquor Depot area with a boatload of BISON & IOWA fans!

NDSUguy
08-17-2006, 03:00 PM

Liqour Depot (which isn't there anymore by the way) there is a film processing company kiddy corner from there.

its an average gravel parking lot, and its where diehard Viking Fans tailgate (back in the day before the GAY opera house opened, it was THE place to be!)

There are portapotty's there, and its $20 probably a car. Bring your battlewagons, trucks there... I have many memories of stumbling to the Vikings games from that spot.

NDSU alumni has a tent on the South East corner of the Dome, but I will be at Liquor Depot area with a boatload of BISON & IOWA fans!

Correct. It is a camera place... What opera house??? Are you talking about the Guthrie? It's anything but "gay". While we certainly lost tailgating options it is much more valuable to the city than a parking lot. Get your head out of your a$$. Comments like that make you look silly.

Besides, in a few years there won't be the need to tailgate on Washington because the Vikes will have a new stadium, the gophers will be on campus and the twins will be behind the target center.

IowaBison
08-17-2006, 03:04 PM

And your last post on tailgating was in the football section on the gopher ticket thread!

Maybe instead of hijacking a thread you should start a new one, that way you won't have to take one off subject and get your panties in a bunch when people haven't seen it!

IowaBison
08-17-2006, 03:11 PM

This might put a little wrench in your plans:

http://www.kare11.com/news/ts_article.aspx?storyid=121429

IowaBison
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
We are Tailgating at Rapid Park 2006

The most common question of the off-season for last year's diehard tailgaters: "Where do we go next season?" has formally been answered. We are tailgating at Rapid Park!

After discussing options with our long-time tailgating neighbors, Kansas Viking, Spiking viking, the Battlewagon Boys, OJ, Saueey, Stier's gang, the New wave Rollers, Stripper Skipper, and Brandon's Road Agents, it was a consensus that we would move. We hope to see all of our old friends, and meet many new friends this 2006 season.

http://vikingstailgate.blogspot.com/

roadwarrior
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Since the Rapid Park lot is to become the home of the new Twins stadium, where will anyone be able to tailgate then? Monticello? Albertville?

Bison49
08-17-2006, 05:02 PM
The Alumni Tent for NDSU will be in the West Plaza area (not the Southeast corner) area of the Metrodome. *The first 1000 people are getting a free gift. *

http://www.ndsualumni.com/coe/mnpregame/

lakesbison
08-17-2006, 05:10 PM
OK OK> .alumni in plaza tent.. my bad!!!

futhermore.... Im just PISSED because Vikings/gophers/Twins tailgating USED to be a PARTY on washington... now it was overrun by the guthrie.. and yes I think that's "GAY" .. sorry.. my opinion.. u got yours.

Bottom line is.

Tailgater's got HOSED all around for the Dome.

IowaBison
08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Since the Rapid Park lot is to become the home of the new Twins stadium, where will anyone be able to tailgate then? Monticello? Albertville?

ground breaking isn't until 2007

bisonaudit
08-17-2006, 07:11 PM

futhermore.... Im just PISSED because Vikings/gophers/Twins tailgating USED to be a PARTY on washington... now it was overrun by the guthrie.. and yes *I think that's "GAY" .. sorry.. my opinion.. u got yours.

Bottom line is.

Imagine how he felt when Circ de Sole (sp?) set their tent up in his tailgating lot for two months to put on their show.

Tailgating is so "HETERO"

NDSUguy
08-17-2006, 07:55 PM

futhermore.... Im just PISSED because Vikings/gophers/Twins tailgating USED to be a PARTY on washington... now it was overrun by the guthrie.. and yes I think that's "GAY" .. sorry.. my opinion.. u got yours.

Bottom line is.

Lakes, you seriouly need to consider your use of words. When we post to this board our opinions represent NDSU (whether we want to admit it or not). By using the word "Gay" in a negative way represents us and our school poorly. I am sure that the University of Minnesota or the Vikings would consider the loss of tailgating space as "Gay". Neither should you. This is not an opinion and should not be taken as such.

TransAmBison
08-17-2006, 08:48 PM

futhermore.... Im just PISSED because Vikings/gophers/Twins tailgating USED to be a PARTY on washington... now it was overrun by the guthrie.. and yes *I think that's "GAY" .. sorry.. my opinion.. u got yours.

Bottom line is.

Lakes, you seriouly need to consider your use of words. *When we post to this board our opinions represent NDSU (whether we want to admit it or not). *By using the word "Gay" in a negative way represents us and our school poorly. *I am sure that the University of Minnesota or the Vikings would consider the loss of tailgating space as "Gay". *Neither should you. *This is not an opinion and should not be taken as such.

You know how I know you're gay?...

Sorry, I just had to...we've been talking about THE FORTY YEAR OLD VIRGIN at work all day, and this last message just fell into place. *Besides, I worked downtown Minneapolis for a while, and it is gay. *Just ask them, they will tell you the same! :)

NDSUguy
08-17-2006, 09:26 PM

Bottom line is.

Lakes, you seriouly need to consider your use of words. When we post to this board our opinions represent NDSU (whether we want to admit it or not). By using the word "Gay" in a negative way represents us and our school poorly. I am sure that the University of Minnesota or the Vikings would consider the loss of tailgating space as "Gay". Neither should you. This is not an opinion and should not be taken as such.

You know how I know you're gay?...

Sorry, I just had to...we've been talking about THE FORTY YEAR OLD VIRGIN at work all day, and this last message just fell into place. Besides, I worked downtown Minneapolis for a while, and it is gay. Just ask them, they will tell you the same! :)

For the record, i'm not - not that there's anything wrong with being Gay! Which is exactly my point. When people post objectionable material on our site it makes us look bad and more importantly our school. I still do work downtown (only three blocks from the dome) and I can tell you that it is not that big of a deal. The only people who really care are over-zealous Vikings/Gophers rubes. We all know those guys... They are the ones who are the guys wearing the purple zubas, sporting uneven face paint and are commonly passing out at the games..... Moronic at best and unfortunatly much like Lakes.

WYOBISONMAN
08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree......the "Gay" reference is totally out of line........

mebison
08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
They are the ones who are the guys wearing the purple zubas, sporting uneven face paint and are commonly passing out at the games..... *Moronic at best and unfortunatly much like Lakes.

I think we should start a thread for NDSUguy and Lakes to fight in. Just them, no holds barred, knock-down, drag-out, winner gets...well, nothing...fight to the end.

:D ;D ---> :P :-/ ---> >:( :( ---> :P :'( ---> :-* :-*

BisonBryce
08-18-2006, 03:50 AM
so getting back to the subject....if we are all tailgating at the target center...that means no one will show up for the metrodome west lot pregame?

lakesbison
08-18-2006, 03:14 PM
ME and my GREEN ZUBA"Z will be by Liqour Depot... in front of the Elton Johnesque Guthrie!!!

I will be having Mikes Hard Lemonade On tap.

Oh this message board is fun!!!!!

SDbison
08-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Would have been nice if someone had listed all the alternatives (size of lot, cost, location, distance to dome, transportation to dome available, etc.) in one place under this topic and then maybe a bunch of the tailgaters could have congregated in one or two places. Now it sounds like everybody is doing their own thing. From what you guys describe tailgating for Vikings games at the Metrodome sucks. Small lots, high cost, significant distance to the dome. Is there one place that most people will be and maybe another with a good size gathering? Do you pay $20 for the lot and another $5 to get on the light rail system? The Alumni gathering at the dome is starting to sound good as long as beer is allowed.

BisonBryce
08-18-2006, 11:21 PM
while the alumni thing possibly sounds good but i highly doubt i can just drive the battlewagon into that area (of course unless someone knows the right strings...hehe)

sambini
08-19-2006, 05:21 AM
The Alumni social sounds like the answer. Dakota will be there?

wsuwarrior
08-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Hey gang, thought I'd check in. I'm a Winona State fan at D-II, but at D-I I'm a Gopher (and NDSU, unless it impacts that Gophers).

Yes, the tailgating situation around the metrodome is bad and getting worse. By 2007, it'll just be easier to tailgate on campus. The lots by Target would be my thought, or the one by the photo place that was mentioned.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it up to the game, but if I do, I'll be sure to let it known.

wsuwarrior
09-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok, so I have confirmed that I'll be at the Minnesota versus NDSU game on the 21st.

I'll keep my eyes on the board, I'd love to meet some of you guys, as I really respect the Bison (and Jacks) for jumping into D-I.