PDA

View Full Version : My Only Disappointment with the CSP Game

NanoBison
09-01-2006, 07:21 AM
The turf was looking really used, especially in the endzones. Why the heck don't they repaint it so it does't look 25 year old???? >:(

BisonBacker
09-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I would have to agree and I know it's been posted but in the past but why the heck did they have to put the stupid Fargodome logo on the turf, it doesn't belong there.

BisBison
09-02-2006, 03:15 AM
agreed: The turf looks second rate, the band isn't loud enough and the PA sucks both too loud and crap sound. But the important thing is the BISON look great. ;D ;D ;D

TheDoctor
09-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Did you notice at the spring game how bad the PA system was? They certainly didn't because they kept talking and didn't change anything. ;D

roadwarrior
09-03-2006, 02:04 AM
I thought that I read in the paper that the Fargodome will be putting in a complete new sound system, but I do not know the timeframe.

BisBison
09-03-2006, 02:45 AM
I thought that I read in the paper that the Fargodome will be putting in a complete new sound system, but I do not know the timeframe. *

Tuesday would be good. >:( >:(
We shouldn't pay the rent for Thursday night, what a joke.

markerman
09-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I would have to agree and I know it's been posted but in the past but why the heck did they have to put the stupid Fargodome logo on the turf, it doesn't belong there.

The Fargodome logo is not painted, it is actual white and gold threads in the turf, (along with the yard lines), so it ain't goin' anywhere (unfortunately). The endzones did look pretty bad. I don't see why they can't paint them new every season.

I was watching the game on All Access and had my computer hooked up to my tv, and a friend couldn't believe that we were still playing on AstroTurf. I realize the ramifications of FieldTurf (cost, it can't be moved once it's down), but at some point you'd think the FFD will have to go that route.

Herd_Mentality
09-05-2006, 06:38 PM
I was hoping for a repaint as well...however it looks like we're going to have to settle for the "every-other season painting".

Since everybody in Fargo seems to bitch that the only reason the Dome was built was for NDSU, let's just take the mofo over.

DomeGuy
09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
It is NDSU's responsibility to have the turf painted as they deem necessary. When it was repainted last year the company that did the job claimed the previous methods and paint used were why it was wearing out so quickly and that 'their' methods and paint would withstand the storage and use the turf gets every season. It does not appear that is the case and I would think those that work at NDSU would be seeking either reimbursement or have the turf redone.

A new sound system is going to be installed at the Fargodome. The hope is to have it in before November but there are no guarantees.

sambini
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks Domeguy for the info. Are there other improvements coming to the DOME in the near future?

Bisonguy
09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
A new sound system is going to be installed at the Fargodome. *The hope is to have it in before November but there are no guarantees.

Will it be substantially better?

Also, any new lighting in the works?

Tatanka
09-06-2006, 01:27 AM
A warmed over turd powered by a nine-volt battery would be a substantial improvement. Let's hope for something incorporating 20th-century digital technology... :P

kchats
09-06-2006, 03:38 AM
It is NDSU's responsibility to have the turf painted as they deem necessary. *When it was repainted last year the company that did the job claimed the previous methods and paint used were why it was wearing out so quickly and that 'their' methods and paint would withstand the storage and use the turf gets every season. *It does not appear that is the case and I would think those that work at NDSU would be seeking either reimbursement or have the turf redone.

A new sound system is going to be installed at the Fargodome. *The hope is to have it in before November but there are no guarantees.

How much life is left in the current AstroTurf?

BisonBacker
09-06-2006, 03:55 AM
It is NDSU's responsibility to have the turf painted as they deem necessary. *When it was repainted last year the company that did the job claimed the previous methods and paint used were why it was wearing out so quickly and that 'their' methods and paint would withstand the storage and use the turf gets every season. *It does not appear that is the case and I would think those that work at NDSU would be seeking either reimbursement or have the turf redone.

Hopefully not much, would be nice to see new turf W/O the Fargodome logo on it, that was a mistake.

DomeGuy
09-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks Domeguy for the info. Are there other improvements coming to the DOME in the near future?

Yes there is. With NDSU being accepted into the Mid-Con the Fargodome was said to be an ideal place to host basketball tournaments. There has been initial talk of adding a video screen above the south movable riser as well as additional lighting to light the floor. But with the current projects (escalators, locker room and new meeting rooms) still not finished, new projects probably won't be looked at until next year at the earliest.

Will it be substantially better?
Also, any new lighting in the works?

The sound system is said to be substantially better...of course that are the claims from the contractors. The sound system will have directional speakers that can be directed per section. There should be better coverage and overall a better experience.

Lighting, there has been discussion regarding lighting, seeing as right now the lighting at field level is around 50-70 fc. Ideally it should be a consistent 100 fc. But no definate plans have been made. Some options would be to add more HID lights and to allow for 'instant-on' capabilities add shutters to all the HID lights.

The turf is in excellent shape. I would suspect barring any disaster the turf should and could easily outlast the older stuff which did last almost 10 years.

Hopefully not much, would be nice to see new turf W/O the Fargodome logo on it, that was a mistake.

I'm confused as to why having the Fargodome logo on the turf is so bad. I have yet to see a venue that does not have their name displayed on the playing surface to some degree... but then again, this town has rallied around bashing the Fargodome of late. So because the Fargodome subsidized the purchase of the turf, maintains it, stores it and in the end is responsible for it's care it shouldn't have any recognition displayed on it...sounds about right for this region's mentality. I'm sure no one would have a problem with the Alerus logo painted on it.

Hammersmith
09-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm confused as to why having the Fargodome logo on the turf is so bad. *I have yet to see a venue that does not have their name displayed on the playing surface to some degree... but then again, this town has rallied around bashing the Fargodome of late. *So because the Fargodome subsidized the purchase of the turf, maintains it, stores it and in the end is responsible for it's care it shouldn't have any recognition displayed on it...sounds about right for this region's mentality. *I'm sure no one would have a problem with the Alerus logo painted on it.
It's not that we don't want the logo on the field, it's the size and placement of the logo that most have a problem with. Most here have talked about two, half sized logos placed on the respective left 25 or 30 yard lines(from the audience viewpoint). Midfield would be empty, have a conference logo, or (preferred around here) a Bison logo. I wouldn't mind a large Bison logo surrounded by smaller logos of all the other regular teams that play in the Dome(Bruins, Spartens, Packers, etc.). Again, it's the size/placement of the Dome logo that's the problem, not its existence.

IowaBisonToo
09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
This is a little off topic but, can I ask why the hell the high schools still play in the dome? Didn't the school district drop a lot of jing 5 or so years back to construct stadiums on the school premises of both North and South? Why not play on these fields? Who cares if it's North vs South or W Fargo? It just makes the home field look fuller and offers a true home field advantage if you play on your own field not to mention the natural turf is easier on the body of a high schooler than the hard artificial stuff. Not very wise use of public funds. :-?

Hammersmith
09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Looks like I was too hasty adding W Fargo to that list. It seems that the North/South game is the only regular HS game in the dome. Maybe they do it for neutral site reasons or maybe the regular attendace far excedes their regular capacity. I don't have an answer, but I thought the thought of putting some small HS logos on the field might appease some naysayers.

mikelsch
09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I have no problem with the FargoDome logo. I just wish the NDSU logos were repainted before every season.

DomeGuy
09-06-2006, 04:00 PM
It's not that we don't want the logo on the field, it's the size and placement of the logo that most have a problem with. Most here have talked about two, half sized logos placed on the respective left 25 or 30 yard lines(from the audience viewpoint). Midfield would be empty, have a conference logo, or (preferred around here) a Bison logo. I wouldn't mind a large Bison logo surrounded by smaller logos of all the other regular teams that play in the Dome(Bruins, Spartens, Packers, etc.). Again, it's the size/placement of the Dome logo that's the problem, not its existence.

I'm not 100% certain, but I do believe the Fargodome paid for the turf with the understanding that since NDSU is the primary tenant they would be allowed to paint the turf at their expense. That is why the Fargodome logo is as prominent as it is and was implanted when the turf was purchased...not painted. NDSU has since paid to have the turf painted when and how they have wanted too.

If NDSU would buy their own turf they could have their logos displayed as they wish.

Why do high schools play at the Dome? Easy answer: because it's cold outside.

IowaBisonToo
09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Why do high schools play at the Dome? Easy answer: because it's cold outside.

It's cold in Moorhead and Bemidji and Duluth and Grand Rapids and . . . , too. All I can say is -- *ussies! :D

DomeGuy
09-06-2006, 04:32 PM
It isn't just high schools that are moving their games to the Fargodome late in the season but also local colleges. Valley City State and Jamestown each had a playoff game inside the Fargodome the past couple of years. I think it is very affordable for these schools (both local colleges and high schools) to play inside the dome if the turf hasn't been taken out and they don't have to pay for it to be pulled out.

The turf is still out from last weeks game and will remain out until after the North-South game...so the high schools don't have to pay for any additional labor to get the field ready...so it is affordable for them to have the game inside.

roadwarrior
09-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I have no problem with the FargoDome logo. *I just wish the NDSU logos were repainted before every season.

I dont think the Fargodome logo is a big deal either. I do wish though that the Bison logos and names were not just painted on, but the same quality that the Fargodome logo and name appears.

DomeGuy
09-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I dont think the Fargodome logo is a big deal either. I do wish though that the Bison logos and names were not just painted on, but the same quality that the Fargodome logo and name appears.

The Fargodome logo and the yard lines (5, 10, 15, etc) are more visible and color will likely stay very bright because the actual fibers of the turf are that color, not painted at all. The only way to remove the Fargodome logo (and line marks) is to actually cut that portion of turf out and replace it.

SDbison
09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
So with a very nice facility like the Fargodome, great seating, easy to move about, nice concessions and football displays, not to mention the outstanding locker rooms and coaches offices when will Field Turf be installed? *The revenues from the Minnesota games and the Ball state game would pretty much pay for it. *I can't believe a top notch program like NDSU football will stay with old school carpet like what is currently installed for more than a couple more years.
Does Field Turf really have to be permenently installed? **That would mean some sort of platform cover would need to be built and installed (the platform must allow for the south stands to roll over it for the smaller concert configurations). *Also, would this mean they could no longer have the ice configuration? *I am sure the Fargdome will want to be able to host a hockey game now and then, let alone Disney on ice, etc. *Is there an equivalent to Field Turf that can be rolled up?

DomeGuy
09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
So with a very nice facility like the Fargodome, great seating, easy to move about, nice concessions and football displays, not to mention the outstanding locker rooms and coaches offices when will Field Turf be installed? The revenues from the Minnesota games and the Ball state game would pretty much pay for it. I can't believe a top notch program like NDSU football will stay with old school carpet like what is currently installed for more than a couple more years.
Does Field Turf really have to be permenently installed? That would mean some sort of platform cover would need to be built and installed (the platform must allow for the south stands to roll over it for the smaller concert configurations). Also, would this mean they could no longer have the ice configuration? I am sure the Fargdome will want to be able to host a hockey game now and then, let alone Disney on ice, etc. Is there an equivalent to Field Turf that can be rolled up?

It is field turf that is installed right now. It has been mistakenly called astro-turf in these forums.

The turf is 1,000 times better than the old astro-turf....

SDbison
09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, what is the name for the stuff that every pro team and most every DI team has installed that looks more like grass and is much better for preventing injuries? Even Sioux Falls has the new stuff installed for a couple years now at Howard Wood Field (used by local high schools and Augustana College). Compared to an area where football is not a big deal (Sioux Falls) how long can NDSU continue to use an outdated surface?

DomeGuy
09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Well, what is the name for the stuff that every pro team and most every DI team has installed that looks more like grass and is much better for preventing injuries? Even Sioux Falls has the new stuff installed for a couple years now at Howard Wood Field (used by local high schools and Augustana College). Compared to an area where football is not a big deal (Sioux Falls) how long can NDSU continue to use an outdated surface?

The Fargodome has field turf and that is the surface you are describing as well. Long fibers that resemble grass, 3 inches or so. There are several variations of field turf, but all are substantially better than the old astro turf.

The Fargodome's surface is about 5 years old... not that out dated, imo.

Flintstone
09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
The stuff SDBison is talking about is similar to Sprinturf which is the stuff Montana has in their stadium. *It is longer and has ground up tires in it to add a springy feel. *There are quite a few different manufacturers. *The Griz put it on their field in 2001 and the cost was roughly $1,000,000.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/facilities/wgs.htm#about