PDA

View Full Version : Suggetions on what NDSU and the Fargodome can do

sway1331
07-07-2006, 11:19 PM
to improve the atmosphere during gameday and the game. *I figure with 55 days until kickoff there is still time for some suggestions to be heard and implemented.

Live bands out in the west parking lot again
Less music played through the PA during the game but more announcements for the crowd to get loud, then over time people might realize they are at a football game and that they should be loud and rowdy. Live Bison mascot For the Gold Star Marching Band to take some pointers from more exciting marching bands (SDSU, UofM or some of the SWAC schools) and be a reason to get to the game early or stay in your seat during halftime Do away with the halftime hot tub toss. *Countless years and I've never seen a winner, enough is enough. Start getting fans to wear yellow to the games like the students have come to do

TransAmBison
07-08-2006, 12:09 AM
++

bisonmike
07-11-2006, 02:57 AM
I love the idea of a live mascot. It would be awesome to have him run across the field like Colorado has their mascot. That would pump up the crowd.

sambini
07-14-2006, 02:30 AM
+++++++++++++++++

semobison
07-15-2006, 01:34 PM
I agree 100% on Less Music. It takes away from the crowd noise. This is a football game not a Vegas Lounge act.

IowaBison
07-15-2006, 01:51 PM
As I've stated here repeatedly.

My music preference would be for 5-6 regular songs that are played throughout the season adding additional atmosphere.

The songs would be played between quarters, not during timeouts, etc..

roadwarrior
07-15-2006, 06:21 PM
If you have been to the Metrodome for a Twins game but have never been there for a Gopher football game, you will be surprised at how different the place looks for a football game. Maroon and gold everywhere with banners for all of the big ten schools, etc.

If the Fargodome had installed green seats like at Newman field we would be a long ways there, but I guess we need to find the bodies to cover those ugly blue seats to get rid of them. NDSU does a little with the color with the banners that they hang around the front of the seating sections, but we could probably do more things to make it look like our "home". The big tv screens help a great deal in putting the Bison touch on the building.

mikelsch
07-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Repaint all the NDSU-related stuff on the field! It's starting to look really worn again after seeing the prep-bowl highlights on TV yesterday.

Wyoherdman
07-16-2006, 10:33 PM
This is only wishful thinking, but its too bad they can't move the old Dakotah field south stands into the dome. Hearing our feet pound against the bleaches was GREAT! Hearing a few bottles break below the bleachers wasn't half bad either. Anything they can do to replicate that old atmosphere would be a step in the right direction.

Cost of ticket to Dakotah field - $10.00

Cost of new insulated coveralls and a bottle of Schnapps - $50.00

Watching Ed Schultz pound the kid who he thought threw a bottle through his broadcast window - PRICELESS! ;D ;D

sambini
07-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Very good+++++++++

MRBISON
07-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Two Words

SELL BEER! ;D

cadillac
07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
++++++++++++FOR SAMBINI++++++++++++++++++

roadwarrior
07-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm sure sambini would love to have some Bud Select's in the concesssion stands!

sambini
07-20-2006, 04:11 AM
Lots of it+++++++++++++

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Contract with the Northern for Parking Lot Lap dances---Proceeds to Teammakers ;D

sway1331
07-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Good luck on those lap dances, they made the makers of that Bison motorcycle essentially mute the exhaust note last year cause apparently the rumble of the normal exhaust note was apparently too loud for the people reading their books.

MN_BISONS
07-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Good luck on those lap dances, they made the makers of that Bison motorcycle essentially mute the exhaust note last year cause apparently the rumble of the normal exhaust note was apparently too loud for the people reading their books. *

That bike has bigger pipes on it now than it did a year ago. ;D

sambini
07-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Contract with the Northern for Parking Lot Lap dances---Proceeds to Teammakers ;D
We could for sure hit our goal of1.5 million.+++++++++++++

bisonmike
07-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Doesn't Tennesee always line up along a road and cheer on the team as they enter the staduim?

Tatanka
07-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Live Mascot
No canned music when the band is able to play
The live video of the "tunnel walk" is awesome. Precede it with video (and sounds) of live bison stampeding.
Remove teh noise nazis at the dome.
Have coach Bohl on screen remind the living dead that they're not in the library nor are they in church, so make some noise.
Steal the "Dome Field Advantage" slogan. Use it to get the crowd loud.
And finally, Live Mascot.

Mr._Bill
07-22-2006, 04:39 PM
No artificial noise makers please for any sports. Woops I guess I posted this on the wrong board!

sambini
07-23-2006, 04:03 AM
AT NEBRASKA THEY LINE UP AS THE PLAYERS GO INTO MEMORIAL STADIUM.

mebison
07-23-2006, 02:30 PM
You know, a couple years ago a small contingent of the band would go over and play for the team as they walked from Dakota Field over to the FargoDome. That didn't last long because we hated it...it was an extra thing to deal with on an already busy day, the football players generally looked annoyed at our presence, and there weren't too many fans around that would be disappointed if we didn't show up. I can't remember if we did that a whole year or not.

SDbison
07-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Here is my wish list to get the dome rockin:
1. *Longer tailgating hours before and after the game. *ADDITIONAL TIME FOR BEER, FOOD & FRIENDS. *NEED I SAY MORE.
2. *More tailgating events, both for those that like to party and families. *MAKE IT "THE PLACE TO BE" ON SEASON OPENER AND GAME SATURDAYS.
3. *More vocal fans at the game. *This is not a church, Library or Theater. *SCREAM YOUR F'ING HEAD OFF. *
4. *Sell out every home game. *Message to students, lakes people, shoppers and hunters: *There are only 5 home games this year. *GET YOUR A$$ TO THE GAME. *NO EXCUSES.
5. *More help from the announcer to get fans going. *A well placed I can't hear yooooooouuuu, or wheres that Bison spirit fans, can do wonders. *EVEN THE LIVING DEAD CAN BE COAXED INTO MAKING SOME NOISE.
6. *Cut the audio commercials. *Use messages on the video boards instead. *The audio system is for announcing the game and getting fans involved. *AND PLEASE, NO MORE CHEERING FOR THE CHEESY BREAD. *IT SUCKS WHEN THE NOISIEST TIME OF THE GAME IS WHEN PEOPLE WANT FREE BREAD.
7. *Lets put some money into the Marching Band budget. *The goal should be to double the bands size in the next 5 years. *How about some good songs and better looking uniforms too. *MOST IMPORTANT, NEED MORE DRUMS! *CUSTOM ORDER THEM IN GREEN AND YELLOW. *
8. *Of course, watching a Bison team that is undefeated would be cool. *After wins on the road against the likes of Ball State, Minnesota, UC Davis, Georgia Southern, Stephen F. Austin and Southern Utah the Bison would be greeted with such enthusiam, THE DOME WOULD TRULY BE ROCKIN.

IowaBison
07-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Idea I had while attending a conference in Lansing.

Notre Dame games are weekend events. There is a Friday night pep rally, then everyone goes downtown for the rest of the evening. Saturday is tailgating, football, more tailgating, more festivities.

NDB's Fargo Version:

(1) Football related pep rally on campus about 7 or 8 pm and lasting an hour.

(2) Segueing into a street party, street fair thing downtown.

(3) Use your tickets as discount cards: ie happy hour prices if you show your tickets at sponsoring ale houses, discounts on motel/hotel rooms, discounts at merchants, restaurants,....... of course these would all be Team Makers members

(4) broadening tailgating. music, family (carnival) games, longer hours

basically you are morphing a 3 hour game into a weekend. for the Fargo metropolitan area you are changing a 1/2 million dollar event (12,500 fans x $40 spent each) into a multi-million dollar one (18k fans *$100 each, X thousand non-fans x $40 each).

The community loves rib fest, the rrv fair, the street fair, bison football and the like. Let's give 'em 6 big time weekends of fun and football.

SDbison
07-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Thats a good idea NorthDakotaBison. Since the Valparaiso game I have been somewhat disappointed with the effort to make each Bison game an event. Is there some sort of team that could be formed of various community group leaders, key NDSU staff, teammakers, etc. that could organize events in conjunction with the game? Some ideas:
Contest for best Bison theme make up / dress for a game in October.
Battle of local bands in the tailgate area during September.
Carnival on site for the opener game.
Chili cook off for one of the games in November.
A taste of Fargo with food booths from local establishments.
TeamMaker fundraising day with games, contests, etc. (if legal)
Scheels tent sale with bargins on NDSU apparel and other sporting gear.
Mud wrestling and Wet t-shirt contest (OK, I know this wouldn't happen, but I came up with all the other ideas in about 10 minutes). I am sure you can think of more.......
One assumption, the tailgate area would need to be open for much longer than the current 4 or 5 hours.

BisonMav
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Iowa has an on campus pep rally a couple hours prior to the game. You can go watch the basketball team play in pickup games at the Carver-Hawkeye too.

Minnesota has a pre-season pep rally in downtown St Paul, free pizza and pop to all that attend. A street is roped off for a couple hours. The Band and Cheerleaders perform and the Coach and AD speak, with players on hand to meet and greet the fans.

bisonreader
07-27-2006, 04:21 AM
i would really love to here more of the explosions during the football game cause that really gets me fired up!!!!!

imabison
07-27-2006, 12:05 PM
i would really love to here more of the explosions during the football game cause that really gets me fired up!!!!!

My source on the bangs says that Gene Taylor thinks they are to loud as they are. He was said to be the reason they quit firing the cannon at Navy games.

I would not look for more bangs. The shot size used is the same shot they use at the Metrodome.

I also like the bangs. More points, more bangs.

Go Bison

SDbison
07-27-2006, 06:20 PM

My source on the bangs says that Gene Taylor thinks they are to loud as they are. *He was said to be the reason they quit firing the cannon at Navy games. *

I would not look for more bangs. *The shot size used is the same shot they use at the Metrodome.

I also like the bangs. *More points, more bangs.

Go Bison
In other words "more bang for your buck" ;D ;D ;D
Light up the scoreboard and the fireworks Bison!

sambini
07-28-2006, 01:36 AM
I like your ideas SD BISON++++++++++++

Bison13
07-28-2006, 05:16 AM
I think it would be sweet if they had NDSU flags lining 19th ave. on the light posts on the way to the fargodome before a football game. How sweet would that look driving in your car seeing green and gold flags (like the old dakota field flags) on the way to a game! I know it would get me pumped up.

pmp6nl
08-01-2006, 05:15 AM
I think it would be sweet if they had NDSU flags lining 19th ave. on the light posts on the way to the fargodome before a football game. How sweet would that look driving in your car seeing green and gold flags (like the old dakota field flags) on the way to a game! I know it would get me pumped up.

I say the whole city, everyday!

sambini
08-01-2006, 12:33 PM
++++++++++++++

Herd_Mentality
08-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Quit giving "Fan of the Game" to somebody's stupid little kid all the time.

ndsubison
09-10-2006, 05:13 PM
How about some yellow "Terrible Towels" ala Pittsburgh Steelers? I think a sea of waving yellow would look fantastic in the Dome.

Bisonguy
09-10-2006, 05:16 PM
How about some yellow "Terrible Towels" ala Pittsburgh Steelers? *I think a sea of waving yellow would look fantastic in the Dome.

They already tried that. Didn't go over too well.

02Bison
09-10-2006, 10:32 PM
I think the first thing that needs to be done is the whole NDSU community needs to get behind the Gold Star Band financially and in spirit. *Its been desperately lacking the support needed to become a 1st class Division I Marching Band. *They do well with what they have to work with, but need everyone's support to take it to the premier level. *Bands really set the tone for a great game day atmosphere. *Every big time game day environment has a big time band in it. *Coincidence? I think not! *

sambini
09-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Like the band at SDSU? They need to see how they do it in Brookings? Thats one top band. I will see two great bands and football teams this saturday in South Bend. I'll give you a report.

tony
09-11-2006, 11:12 AM
How about some yellow "Terrible Towels" ala Pittsburgh Steelers? *I think a sea of waving yellow would look fantastic in the Dome.

They already tried that. Didn't go over too well.

Heck, I like ndsubison's idea because it's something that people can do on their own. I'm not a big fan of sitting around thinking of things for the media, NDSU, and the FargoDome to do for me. Here's what I think the groups mentioned here should be doing:

Media: Report the news about NDSU football.
NDSU: Run a first-rate football program.
FargoDome: Provide a field for the football team.

If you act like the media, NDSU, and the FargoDome are your parents, then you shouldn't be surprised when they treat you like children :)

Now with the band, direction has to come from within NDSU's faculty and student body because it's their show. Until they set some goals, the community really doesn't have a place (unless they want to check into forming an auxiliary).

For my part, I'm not sure that treating the band well accomplishes anything. By their nature, band members are masochists thriving on degradation and pain. In that respect, the best thing to do might be to bring in my Mom, hand her a stick, a megaphone, and a thermos full of "cough syrup" and set her loose on them. Those that survive will be dancing around like trained monkeys in no time. :)

mebison
09-11-2006, 07:36 PM
For my part, I'm not sure that treating the band well accomplishes anything. By their nature, band members are masochists thriving on degradation and pain. In that respect, the best thing to do might be to bring in my Mom, hand her a stick, a megaphone, and a thermos full of "cough syrup" and set her loose on them. Those that survive will be dancing around like trained monkeys in no time. :)

There is probably truth to that....

Bison2248
09-12-2006, 01:53 AM
I just think no matter what we do the band will stay how it is.

SDbison
09-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Like the band at SDSU? They need to see how they do it in Brookings? Thats one top band. I will see two great bands and football teams this saturday in South Bend. I'll give you a report.
What is up Sambini, not going to the Bison game this week?
Please tell me you are not one of those Notra Dam nuts.

SDbison
09-12-2006, 03:02 AM
I just think no matter what we do the band will stay how it is.
That is probably true. *Maybe someone should put Joe Chapman on the task to improve NDSU's band. *It definately is DIII level not DI. *Many high school bands in SD and MN would make the GSMB look pathetic. *Everybody needs to get a dose of reality here, the GSMB may be the pride of North Dakota, but they only have to beat out about six other bands, high school included, to do so. *I do think it is a shame nothing is being done to improve the situation. *If NDSU has 6 million to install showers, training and media rooms for the football team they can spend $500,000 to make the Marching Band better. *

Flintstone
09-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Hey Sambini you are one lucky SOB. I went to the Notre Dame/Syracuse game last year. That is an experience I will never forget. One thing - tell me when you get back if Mo Crum is a better MLB than Joe Mays. I think Joe would be pushing for the starting spot on that team this year (Their linebackers are considered the weak link in their D).

02Bison
09-12-2006, 03:42 AM

Yes, support the band like Brookings does. Both Bands are fine musically (NDSU may even be technically better), but just the sheer force and power that comes with the numbers of the SDSU band is what DI Marching/Pep bands are all about. It takes monetary support and fan support to get that.

sambini
09-12-2006, 04:27 AM
02 I THINK YOU SHOULD START A FUND RAISER FOR THE BAND? I DO IT EVERY YEAR WITH TEAMMAKERS. I DONATE SOME DOUGH TO GET IT STARTED. WHATS IT GONNA TAKE?

Bisonguy
09-12-2006, 07:57 PM
02 I THINK YOU SHOULD START A FUND RAISER FOR THE BAND? I DO IT EVERY YEAR WITH TEAMMAKERS. I DONATE SOME DOUGH TO GET IT STARTED. WHATS IT GONNA TAKE?

I believe Bisonfan1 could comment on obstacles to a band fundraiser. :-X

SDbison
09-13-2006, 03:40 AM

I believe Bisonfan1 could comment on obstacles to a band fundraiser. *:-X

Should I know this or do I need to talk Bisonfan1?

Bisonguy
09-13-2006, 03:48 AM
All I remember is that the Fargodome does not allow soliciting, and, don't quote me on this portion of it, but I thought the music department stated they didn't want any help. *

We were going to try to have a 'Band-Aid' during tailgating, and I was working on the flyers. Then the whole idea go shot down.

I'm pretty sure it was Bisonfan1 that was the point man. Maybe it was one of the BisonInsider guys?? :-?