PDA

View Full Version : Band Fundraising

mebison
09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm trying to think of ideas for band fundraising. Part of the problem is that most band kids are so sick of selling candy bars by the time they get through high school music programs that they are quite resistant to any more fundraising. But maybe there's something that could be done in conjunction with the game that would be less painful??

- A 'Tailgate-with-the-Band' Chili feed before games?
- Auction off the chance to take a baseball ball bat to the old drums?
- Throw a ball in the (old) tuba, 3 balls for a buck?
- Set 5-gallon buckets next to the band section in the dome with signs that say "Donate to help us buy new music".
- Refuse to stop playing the veggie-tales theme-song until at least $5,000 has been donated?

Come on Teammakers...you guys raise millions at the drop of a hat, you must have some ideas to spread around!

Bisonguy
09-22-2006, 06:43 PM
I'd donate $100 if I could take a can of yellow, green, or even white Krylon to those red drums. :) :D

In all seriousness, I would donate if I was approached to donate.

Maybe a table could be set up by the entrances, with some signage and band members explaining what donations would be used for. Maybe something at tailgating, as well.

Well, that or the tuba toss.

IowaBisonToo
09-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Do the Tuba guys dress up like a big cucumber? ;D ;D ;D

mebison
09-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Do the Tuba guys dress up like a big cucumber? ;D ;D ;D

No, but most of the band turns kind green when they hear it start ;)

Hammersmith
09-23-2006, 04:23 AM
As far as serious answers go, I like what UND did a few years back. When they were restarting their band, they worked with the Fighting Sioux Club(or possibly the Alumni Assoc) to raise funds for music, uniforms, transportation, etc. When the annual FSC report/request for funds was sent to donors, they included a section about the band and what they were doing. On the part that was to be sent back, there was a section that went something like:

Last year you donated $xxxxx.
How much would you like to donate this year $______?

Would you like to donate to the marching band fundraising drive? __yes __no amount: ________

If even 10% decided to contribute just 10% of their regular donation, that would amount to about $15k (Team Makers $1.5M goal). That's not peanuts for such a small amount of work. Add-on a couple of dollar-for-dollar matching donations from local companies like Great Plains/Microsoft, Bobcat/Ingersoll-Rand, Scheels All-Sports, Meritcare, etc. and you start talking about some real money. What it really takes is some imagination and perseverance on the part of the band leaders/music dept. Have there been any attempts to bring in corporate or TM money? I don't know. Olfert & Co. really need to talk to their counterparts at SDSU. Whatever they did to raise over $300k in the last couple of years had to be good.

Tatanka
09-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I would think that they could fundraise online (through PayPal or similar). Fees are small, and even if you have to pay 4% + $0.30 to get a $20 donation, you still clear $18.90 for very very little effort... For a non-profit organization (I assume GSMB qualifies), perhaps the fees can even be lessened or waived.

To me, this is an easy way to raise funds. Put a "donate here" link on GoBison.com (Teammakers can do this too!) and on sites such as this, and there you go.

I'm hoping the current lack of funding is due to more than a lack of fundraising effort. However, I can safely say I have never been directly presented with an opportunity to donate and support the band (and be sure that teh $$$ goes directly to the GSMB). Present me with one, and I'll donate. Maybe not a number with a comma in it, but you'll get a donation.