PDA

View Full Version : BEER IN FARGODOME.. listen...

IH8daSioux
11-14-2005, 05:13 AM
I was at Games over the weekend.. HS< NDSU.. ... working... ha ha.

I was sitting with ROB *General Manager*.. and I had a beer or 2.. outside tailgating. and I say/....

ROB>. why cant we get beer at the NDSU FB games.. everyone parties anyways.. u can tailgate with it.

party at SAE... or ATO.. walk to DOME drunk...

Sit at BW3's, reebs or whatever and drink and walkover.

ROB LOOKS AT ME.... DR CHAPMAN just has to say "BEER IN DOME"

and its DONE.. PERIOD..

U of M has it at metrodome!!! LETS DO IT!!!!

JBB
11-14-2005, 12:30 PM
No. Its a bad idea. Keep it in the lots and out of the Fabulous Fargo Dome.

BisonBacker
11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
No. *Its a bad idea. *Keep it in the lots and out of the Fabulous Fargo Dome.
I don't know why its a bad idea. If your going to drink and do it to excess then it will likely be that you would end up at the dome already tuned up. It wouldn't affect anyone except those who are of legal age the opportunity to have a beer if they chose to. Who know's it may be just enough to loosen up some of those who otherwise just sit on their hands throughout the game. With all the staff at the dome if someone did get out of line then it wouldn't take them long to take care of any problem. I really see no problem with it at all.

bisonmike
11-14-2005, 02:57 PM
I agree with you bisonbacker. Some people on this board think that alcohol is the devil when it is drank during the football game but somehow think it's ok to get tore up before the game. I just pose this question. If all the games were on tv and you were watching the game at a bar or at home, would you just drink up until kick off and then cut your self off when the game started. No, of course not. So what's the problem with serving beer at the game? Of course you should enjoy in moderation but it would bring in some extra revenue.

Bisonfan1
11-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I may be wrong with this, but since the Dome is on NDSU property, doesnt that prohibit alcohol sales at the NDSU and other sporting events?

Herd_Mentality
11-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I'd like to see a TeamMakers lounge where you could go get a bump during halftime and converse with some of the TeamMakers that don't choose to tailgate before the game. Make it one of the perks of membership.

DG_Moore
11-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Allowing alcohol in part of the Tailgating section is pushing the law to its limit. Allowing alcohol in the Dome during an NDSU function is not going to happen and it should not.

Herd_Mentality
11-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Allowing alcohol in part of the Tailgating section is pushing the law to its limit. *Allowing alcohol in the Dome during an NDSU function is not going to happen and it should not. *

Please explain to me why it should not happen.

BisonBryce
11-14-2005, 05:38 PM
The west lot is on NDSU property as well. By law alcohol is prohibitted but the university and city were able to get an amendment to allow for the west lot to be an acceptable designated area for football games.

The sale of alcohol could be another more difficult amendment to be able to be passed. I don't have the legal knowledge but would assume this. Whether or not it would be Mr. Chapman's call or not on his own again I would be doubtful but certainly he has a huge say in the matter or the process involved.

I like the idea of having a teammaker designated area for drinking (like at the Ralph or the DECC in Duluth's blueline club). This tends to be able to get passed with less opposition compared to all out drinking in the stands and sale of beer at the concessions. This is a likely and good next step for this subject.

roadwarrior
11-14-2005, 07:25 PM
I think that because the City of Fargo leases the Fargodome property from NDSU, they are considered to be in control of the property. Beer is sold at other events inside the dome without apparent violation of the prohibition of drinking on campus property. Also beer is sold outside at events such as the Rib Fest, which needs a permit from the city to permit the sale and consumption in an outdoor area. The change that was made to allow tailgating was similar to the permit system, only making it into law.

NDSU chooses not to allow sale of alcohol at the games inside the Fargodome because of the problems college students have with binge drinking and all the publicity surrounding bad events resulting from excessive drinking.

BisonBryce
11-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the permit deal.

JBB
11-15-2005, 01:48 AM
I'd like to see a TeamMakers lounge where you could go get a bump during halftime and converse with some of the TeamMakers that don't choose to tailgate before the game. *Make it one of the perks of membership.

That is a good idea!

IH8daSioux
11-15-2005, 03:15 AM
DONT YOU LISTEN.... read my first POST..

ROB.. THE GM of the DOME.. has worked with me as a client for 7 years now... (not him personally as he has just been GM for 1 year, but he's been there since the beginning.....)

ROB SAID....

DR CHAPMAN CALLS ME AND SAY'S "ROB, I'd like to have BEER sold in 2006 at the DOME"

I WOULD SAY GREAT.. OK.. its' done.

ITS ABSOLUTELY DR CHAPMAN's DECISION...!!!!

PERIOD.

LETS ALL EMAIL HIM!!
joseph.chapman@ndsu.edu ???? does this work?

It says to email his secretaries:

Cathy Backer: Cathy.Backer@ndsu.edu
Barb Pederson: Barbara.Pederson@ndsu.edu

Those are his

mikelsch
11-15-2005, 03:55 PM
I would like to have a couple cold ones while watching the Bison, but it's not gonna happen. It would be a PR nightmare for NDSU at this time. Maybe after a few years of responsible tailgating is on the books, it could slowly be introduced.

IH8daSioux
11-15-2005, 06:30 PM
are you kidding me??

your the TYPICAL FARGO NORTH DAKOTAN.

OH NO!!! DRINKING!! thats the DEVIL!!

"1 kid got really drunk and walked into the river,,so lets LUMP every college student into that MOLD.. and put every VISIT to the MERITCARE DETOX on the front page of the FORUM!!"

FARGO is a division 1 CITY NOW> FOLKS>. this aint ELLENDALE or MILNOR NORTH DAKOTA!!!

email the president and get this going.. I GUARANTEE A SOLD OUT DOME EVERY GAME !!!

kchats
11-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Would they be there for the game or the expensive beer? ;)

WYOBISONMAN
11-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Iliked being able to drink at the UNC game in Greeley......they sell beer in the stadium there!

Then there is the stadium at Southern Utah......you can't even get a whiff of a beer within 100 miles!!!

MRBISON
11-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I agree....beer should be sold at the football games. I have been to many college sporting events where beer was sold, and I haven't seen mass chaos break out yet.

If people think it's going to be some big problem, then stop selling beer when the 3rd quarter starts or something.

mikelsch
11-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Read my original post again...I enjoy tailgating and would enjoy drinking at the game, but it is NOT going to happen anytime soon. *A dry event is not my vote, but get used to it, because NDSU is a dry campus. *And the Fargodome is on NDSU property. *Remember that tailgating only passed by ONE vote. *Maybe that committee could take up the issue and implement a similar policy as the Redhawks games.

Herd_Mentality
11-15-2005, 09:02 PM
For every Gene Taylor and Joe Chapman that would be receptive to the idea there are a Prakash Matthew and Nona Wood. If you went to SU in the last 15 years, you know what I'm talking about.

Gully
11-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Oh my god Nona Wood, now there is a totally unreasonable person.

I have a lot of respect for Prakash but he definetly takes a hard line on the drinking which is hard for me to understand.

I too have been to many college games with drinking and everything seemed just fine. I fail to see why this is such a big deal.

Herd_Mentality
11-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I should say that I'm not berating either Mathew or Wood, just that they really seem to be hardliners on this issue.

Bisonguy
11-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Yay! Another excuse for people to get out of their seat, socialize, and not watch the GAME! Sounds like a great way to create some more (lack of) atmosphere in the Fargodome. ::)

Herd_Mentality
11-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Yay! Another excuse for people to get out of their seat, socialize, and not watch the GAME! Sounds like a great way to create some more (lack of) atmosphere in the Fargodome. *::)

Now hold on, I'm just advocating some type of halftime club. Open only at halftime, or in one of the open corners of the seating.

JBB
11-15-2005, 10:45 PM
You might recall that at the old Dacotah Field the Team Makers would open the BSA at half time and let people go up to the second floor concourse for coffee, snacks and a little warmth. *They didnt have drinks but it was fun to go up. * Bisonguy is partly right, a lot of times we wouldnt venture back out until the middle of the third qtr. *

I think the post game press conferences with drinks, every Team Maker gets tickets, is meant to act as a Team Makers game lounge?

BisonBacker
11-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Anytime someone mentions somthing that changes the status quo you always and I mean always have those who are going to fight it. I for the life of me have never understood why it's ok for a select group (usually the minority in numbers also) gets to tell the majority what's good/bad or otherwise. Now first of all I don't know what the final numbers would be on the drinking issue but I'm referring to public policy in any issue. It never seems to fail that those who squeal the loudest (even if they represent the minority) always seem to get their way. I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions but to automatically just say no or it will never happen becuase a few don't agree is wrong.

Bisonguy
11-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Now hold on, I'm just advocating some type of halftime club. *Open only at halftime, or in one of the open corners of the seating. *

I wouldn't oppose an "open five minutes before the half, closed (and everyone OUT!) five minutes before the start of the second half" type of club, but just think the logistics would be near impossible. I'm not necessarily opposed to serving beer at the games, I just think it would be a nightmare trying to make the necessary concessions to make most everyone happy with the setup.

A good example of what can happen with this sort of setup can be seen at UND at the REA. A lot of the hardcore hockey fans always complain that the "club" is nothing more than a social hour, where people go to not watch the game. :-/

JBB
11-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Tailgaters that pay should be able to come and go, maybe?

Maybe you could have a vehicle checking fee of say five dollars. *Pay the five you can check the vehicle then return? 8)

IH8daSioux
11-17-2005, 04:56 AM
You can take Bison Backers paragraph and use it for ANYTHING THAT IS "politically correct" these days.

or CINDY SHEEHAN.. or Patty Wetterling.. etc etc.

its just crazy... how the MINORITY (mainly liberal america) gets the media's panties in a bunch!!!!

ALCOHOL can be gained for 6 days.. 6 days!!! PEOPLE!!! that is SOO insignificant!! and it would make the BISON games.. THEY place to go party and create loudness!!

there are plenty of security and HAVE U BEEN TO A VIKINGS-PACKERS GAME AT THE DOME?!

its total blood alcohol average is .54 and yea there might be a skirmish here and there.. but NOTHING GETS CRAZY!!!

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 05:23 AM
For every Gene Taylor and Joe Chapman that would be receptive to the idea there are a Prakash Matthew and Nona Wood. *If you went to SU in the last 15 years, you know what I'm talking about.

Prakash was a dick when I was in school many years ago and he is still a prick....Too bad he is V.P for Student Affairs.....I wish he would go away.

bisonaudit
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Man, people really get worked up over their beer!

IH8daSioux is so upset he can't count and WYOBISON is taking shots at Prakash.

"Liberal America" isn't a minority, it may encompass large portions of minority populations, but for most of the last 60 years this country has been more or less liberal. Currently the VOCAL MINORITY (I can use caps, too) is running the show because they've succeeded at two things. They've made 'liberal' synonymous with 'evil' and they've convinced their supporters to vote in unprecidented numbers. Marketing geniuses, my hat is off.

In my experience Dr. Matthew was a civil and decent man with whom you could have a difference of opinion and not suffer disrespect.

That said, this liberal wishes he could have a beer at the ball game too.

IowaBison
11-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Well according to the 2005 Political Typology report just released by Pew, 17% of the population and 19% of registered voters are liberal, but if that's a majority in your opinion, Bisonaudit, you're entitled to it.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Iwas in Student Government a long time at NDSU and I stand by my statement.....Prakash is a dick.....Other than Gary Rienke at the Physical Plant, Prakash is the only administrative type I thought was useless at NDSU. *Most did a great job.

---And by the way....I am a part of Liberal America....registered Democrat and a card carrying meber of the ACLU....(although I do have a concealed weapons permit too..... :o) Like the bumper sticker on my 1 ton pickup says....."Gun totin' Wyoming Democrat"

TheBisonator
11-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Iwas in Student Government a long time at NDSU and I stand by my statement.....Prakash is a dick.....Other than Gary Rienke at the Physical Plant, Prakash is the only administrative type I thought was useless at NDSU. Most did a great job.

---And by the way....I am a part of Liberal America....registered Democrat and a card carrying meber of the ACLU....(although I do have a concealed weapons permit too..... :o) Like the bumper sticker on my 1 ton pickup says....."Gun totin' Wyoming Democrat"

AMEN, WYO, AMEN!!! (Gun toting liberal part-time hunter here)

somebison
11-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I thought we weren't going to talk politics :P

JBB
11-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Well according to the 2005 Political Typology report just released by Pew, 17% of the population and 19% of registered voters are liberal, but if that's a majority in your opinion, Bisonaudit, you're entitled to it.

From my observation your talking about the radical "angry" left, most of the liberals I know are way too cool to claim affiliation. The code words I hear are stuff like vote for the person not the party, etc, etc. But I dont think its liberals that are keeping booze out of the FFD. Certainly you will find liberals among them, but its the law and the community standard. There has never been liquor at BISON games.

The tailgate lots were a big concession. I dont think alcohol induced rowdiness is needed beyond that. Anyway, you can drink all you want in the FFD if you have an ounce of discretion and an ounce of rum.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Anyway, you can drink all you want in the FFD if you have an ounce of discretion and an ounce of rum. *

Indeed.....I have always enjoyed a cocktail in the Bison games!! A very good point JBB!!

IowaBison
11-17-2005, 05:04 PM
From my observation your talking about the radical "angry" left, most of the liberals I know are way too cool to claim affiliation. *The code words I hear are stuff like vote for the person not the party, etc, etc. *But I dont think its liberals that are keeping booze out of the FFD. *Certainly you will find liberals among them, but its the law and the community standard. *There has never been liquor at BISON games. *

The tailgate lots were a big concession. *I dont think alcohol induced rowdiness is needed beyond that. *Anyway, you can drink all you want in the FFD if you have an ounce of discretion and an ounce of rum. *

That's quite true, in fact, I'd make the argument that it's social conservatives (Baptists, other evangelicals) who are most anti-booze, though in Fargo that would be the old-school Scandanavians.

I'd think that liberals would be for a 'free marijuana booth' for sufferers of glaucoma and hot dogs for people who can't afford the $2.50 asking price. (They'd also make the folks with seats at the 50 to change places with the folks in the end zone (after charging them an extra $10 a ticket to pay for the free hot dogs).

The best would be social progressives who would be for legalized prostitution in our little Dome.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 05:07 PM
....FYI.....The gun totin' lefty here has posted a couple of my elk hunt pictures over in the Bison Commons.....for those of you that like outdoor adventures go have a peek!

bisonaudit
11-17-2005, 06:32 PM
WYOBISON,

Nice photos, hope you had an enjoyable and successful hunt. Sorry, you didn't have the same experience w/ Dr. Matthew that I did.

JBB, your forgot to mention that the Pew study divides the population into 9 groups. The 17% number you sited is the largest in the study.

Of the 9 groups the three right most accounted for 29% of the total population, the 3 left most 31%. Self identified republicans 31%, democrats 34%, independents 35%.

Guess I'll back off my liberal majority claim if you'll back of the silently implied conservative majoirty, and we'll all agree we live in a pluralistic society held hostage by a 2 party political system.

Go Bison!

markerman
11-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Iwas in Student Government a long time at NDSU and I stand by my statement.....Prakash is a dick.....Other than Gary Rienke at the Physical Plant, Prakash is the only administrative type I thought was useless at NDSU. *Most did a great job.

I couldn't DISAGREE with you more. I also was in SG for years, and know Prakash very, very well. Just because he takes a hard line on alcohol issues does not make him a dick. It's clear from your posts that you have a very personal vendetta against him, which is fine, but I don't feel that this is the forum in which to bring those feelings out.

The subject of this string is "BEER IN FARGODOME.. listen..." not "University Admistrators I Hate."

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I couldn't DISAGREE with you more. *I also was in SG for years, and know Prakash very, very well. *Just because he takes a hard line on alcohol issues does not make him a dick. *It's clear from your posts that you have a very personal vendetta against him, which is fine, but I don't feel that this is the forum in which to bring those feelings out.

The subject of this string is "BEER IN FARGODOME.. listen..." not "University Admistrators I Hate."

My contempt for Prakash is not rooted in the alcohol issue, although he is rather ignorant along those lines too, it is rooted in his lack of respect for students and the wishes of a majority of students regarding programing issues. *My opinion of Prakash was formed when he was in charge of residence life and his office was over at the Auxillary Enterprises building. *NDSU should have ditched him way back then instead of promoting him. *It is unfortunate he is following George Wallman as VP of Student Affairs. *No way is Prakash in the same league as George Wallman and Les Pavek. *He is far, far behind..... :-/

Rodentia
11-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Speaking of hot dogs, I was at the NDSU/SDSU game, and had the most Fargodome Dog (I'm sure it's called something else, I can't remember, it's the "top of the line", most expensive dog). Anyway, it was a really good hot dog.

At the Metrodome, there is the "Dome Dog", which is a very big hotdog, but it's not a good hotdog. It's large, but a crappy dog on a crappy bun. The regular hot dog at the Metrodome is OK.

But the hotdogs at old Metropolitan Stadium were good.

markerman
11-17-2005, 07:33 PM
My contempt for Prakash is not rooted in the alcohol issue, although he is rather ignorant along those lines too, it is rooted in his lack of respect for students and the wishes of a majority of students regarding programing issues. *My opinion of Prakash was formed when he was in charge of residence life and his office was over at the Auxillary Enterprises building. *NDSU should have ditched him way back then instead of promoting him. *It is unfortunate he is following George Wallman as VP of Student Affairs. *No way is Prakash in the same league as George Wallman and Les Pavek. *He is far, far behind..... :-/

Again, my complaint is not that you have a dislike of Prakash. My complaint is that this is not the place or germain to the discussion. Simply stating, "The policy will not change because [insert Administrative Officials name] takes a hard line on alcohol" would have worked, rather than ripping apart a man that I (and many others who have graduated in the past few years) feel is one of the shining stars in NDSU's adminstration.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 07:39 PM
I am glad you like the guy.....obviously, I do not.....nuff said.. ::)

roadwarrior
11-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Speaking of hot dogs.......

Nice try on getting the topic changed ;D

Bisonguy
11-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Speaking of hot dogs, I was at the NDSU/SDSU game, and had the most Fargodome Dog (I'm sure it's called something else, I can't remember, it's the "top of the line", most expensive dog). *Anyway, it was a really good hot dog.

At the Metrodome, there is the "Dome Dog", which is a very big hotdog, but it's not a good hotdog. *It's large, but a crappy dog on a crappy bun. *The regular hot dog at the Metrodome is OK.

But the hotdogs at old Metropolitan Stadium were good.

I believe that they are Cloverdale hot dogs. Cloverdale meats is a proud sponsor of Bison Athletics. Cloverdale Meats, The Label That Guarantees Quality ® .

sambini
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Support CLOVERDALE as they support NDSU athletics. ALSO THEY ARE MADE IN MANDAN,ND. GO BISON AND GO CLOVERDALE..

Rodentia
11-17-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure what kind of meat is in the Dome Dog at the Metrodome. Perhaps I don't want to know. But a hot dog at a ball game ishould be special, perhaps even sacred. ;D

Herd_Mentality
11-17-2005, 10:21 PM
The Dome Dog is a Hormel product.

Bisonguy
11-17-2005, 10:30 PM
The Dome Dog is a Hormel product.

As is Spam. :o

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Topic is changed...... ;D

TransAmBison
11-17-2005, 10:52 PM
*My complaint is that this is not the place or germain to the discussion. *

The god darn Germans got nothin' to do with it!!!!

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
I agree....I am a Norskie.....

sambini
11-18-2005, 01:35 AM
We need beer in the dome. They do it at UNC and I believe the baseball team makes some profit off it. We could fund something off it after the dome gets there share.

roadwarrior
12-02-2005, 04:13 AM
Beer was sold at UW-Green Bay's basketball game, although you might have to take out a second mortgage on your house if you want to have more than one ;D

sambini
12-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Road about 6.50 a 16oz. plastic bottle?

Gully
12-03-2005, 01:22 PM
I really like those 16 oz. plastic bottles at games.

Ah..........beer.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Homer Simpson

Bisonguy
12-03-2005, 04:25 PM
I really like those 16 oz. plastic bottles at games.

Ah..........beer.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" *Homer Simpson

Errr.... Benjamin Franklin might be a little pissed that Homer is getting credit for his quote. ;) ;D

lakesbison
09-27-2006, 02:56 AM
REMEMBER THIS THREAD!!

LETS GET BEER IN THAT DOME!

ITS DEADSVILLE ONCE U GET IN!!

Chapman can say "yes!" and its done!

sambini
09-27-2006, 04:07 AM
This Buds for you Lakes+++++++++++++

mebison
09-27-2006, 05:22 AM
This was probably covered earlier in this thread, but do other college venues sell beer? Same level (Montana, UNI, etc?), down a level (Alerus?), or up (Metrodome does I assume?, how about Nebraska or Wisconsin...actually, Wisconsin probably has micro-brews in the stadium).

sambini
09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I've been to Arizona State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Notre Dame. None sell beer but they do tailgate.

roadwarrior
09-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Gophers have beer at the Metrodome, but WILL NOT have it in their new stadium.

Flanders
09-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Alerus has beer. And premium mixed drinks. Camp Randall in Madison doesn't have alcohol sales.

IowaBison
09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Not for people getting drunk during the game.

Allow alcohol at very high prices:

$6 for a 16 oz. plastic bottle of beer

same for 24 oz. tap

Alternatively, have the Team Makers initiate an additional perk:

any member of the captain's club or above can bring themselves plus 1 or 2 others into a alcohol allowed area AND then still gouge them for the booze!

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2006, 06:08 PM
If I can't bring it in.........I'll sneak it in. I think I still posess that skill from my college days.........

IowaBison
09-27-2006, 06:13 PM
obviously some of us are more mature than others ;)

[note: my standard practice is to be 'primed' at kickoff time, ie i sneak it in with my gut.]

Hammerhead
10-27-2006, 02:03 AM
I used to volunteer at the concession stands in the Fargodome's early years to help raise money for Shanley High school. Our cut was much larger when we had a beer-only stand compared to non-alcoholic fare. Just think how much more we could have made if I sold beer to my 9th grade students who might come by to say "Hi." ;D

STC_TFA
10-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Sell me a Michelob Golden Draft Light.........

bisonmike
10-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I saw no problem with how the metrodome handled the sale of beer at the gopher/bison game. *I think if we could handle it the same way it would be a huge financial boost the the athletic department. *It also might get some of those people off of their a$$ and make some noise.

STC_TFA
10-28-2006, 01:26 AM
At 6.00 a bottle that will make you some extra money for the budget.

mikelsch
10-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Sure liked having a beer at the metrodome --- should have similar policy at fargodome --- but people around here would through a hissy fit and try to make NDSU look like the devil for such a proposition

MN_BISONS
10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Sure liked having a beer at the metrodome --- should add similar policy add fargodome --- but people around here would through a hissy fit and try to make NDSU look like the devil for such a proposition

http://www.interstate80.info/grounded/facepainter4.jpg