PDA

View Full Version : Big Arena-low attendance

IowaBison
12-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I was very elated when learning that NDSU would be joining the Mid-Con.

I am very excited about construction of a new arena in North Fargo.

-I don't know how many folks are going to pay to see NDSU play all but a few Mid-Con opponents.

-There is nothing wrong with having a small arena, filling it, then jacking up the price on those who want to attend (obviously with seating set aside for students), and putting games on tv.

IMO much more than 8,000 seats is crazy.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Especially if they attach the arena to the FargoDome, which can be set up for basketball and seats as many people as we could possibly ever need to.

kchats
12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything stating a contract has been signed or that any money has actually even been raised, or that the FargoDome or Fargo City Council have even voted to allow them to begin planning for this arena. The only arena project that is currently ongoing in Fargo that I have heard of is the BSA renovation project. Am I wrong?

Gully
12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
I was very elated when learning that NDSU would be joining the Mid-Con.

I am very excited about construction of a new arena in North Fargo.

-I don't know how many folks are going to pay to see NDSU play all but a few Mid-Con opponents.

-There is nothing wrong with having a small arena, filling it, then jacking up the price on those who want to attend (obviously with seating set aside for students), and putting games on tv.

IMO much more than 8,000 seats is crazy.

I don't think anyone connected with it in an official way has said it would be much more than 8,000 seats. A few people on this board get carried away but you can't pay too much attention to that. The arena will happen and it will be in the 7,000 - 9,000 range.

roadwarrior
12-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything stating a contract has been signed or that any money has actually even been raised, or that the FargoDome or Fargo City Council have even voted to allow them to begin planning for this arena. *The only arena project that is currently ongoing in Fargo that I have heard of is the BSA renovation project. *Am I wrong?

Yes. The wheels are in motion for the Fargodome arena. You can't expect things to be voted on that quickly. I think the dome authority has formed a committee to get details worked out.

kchats
12-18-2006, 12:02 AM
The BSA renovation still breaks ground next spring correct? This will also include basketball practice courts and new locker rooms and coaches offices in addition to an exterior facelift?

2006gwfcchamps
12-18-2006, 12:21 AM
For some reason, KC is worried that money is going to be taken away from the BSA in order to fund the new arena.

Well, KC, if it comes to that, YES, that will happen. The new arena is more important than the BSA.

But the way some people are talking about new money being raised, perhaps it won't come to that.

kchats
12-18-2006, 03:44 AM
No, I'm trying to get you guys to understand the BSA renovation will occur first. The money has been raised and plans are being drawn. Ground breaks spring of 2007.

2006gwfcchamps
12-18-2006, 04:17 AM
If the new arena is to be completed by the 2008 basketball season, which is proposed, then the groundbreaking will have to be in 2007 at least.

So you're not even correct.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-18-2006, 04:29 AM
The way I have come to understand it, the money won't/can't be taken from the BSA renovation because that money is already commited, the wheels are in motion and the construction is going to start ASAP, presumably as soon as the baseball, softball and track teams are finished with their winter practices and are back outside.

kchats
12-18-2006, 04:38 AM
If the new arena is to be completed by the 2008 basketball season, which is proposed, then the groundbreaking will have to be in 2007 at least.

So you're not even correct.

Not going to happen. No way can they design a great arena worthy of all the money NDSU and Fargo wants to spend on it and get construction started in 2007 when they haven't even raised any money. If it has to go before the Board of Education like the BSA renovation did that sets it back even further. Only construction that will be happening for a basketball arena will be renovating the BSA.

TheBisonator
12-18-2006, 04:55 AM
From what I'm understanding here, it looks like if the financing for the new Dome arena goes through, then we will actually have construction on TWO different facilities starting this next spring (one a renovation and one a new building). If we can get another $10 million fundraising effort started up quickly for the new arena to complete the financing, with a couple mill coming from naming rights, there's no reason why we can't have renovations of the BSA AND a new arena completed by fall of 2008.

Think about this:

A kick-ass 19,000-seat indoor football stadium less than 15 years old with new football offices/locker rooms/facilities that has had other renovations done less than 5 years ago

An awesome 5,000-seat ballpark only 10 years old shared with a minor league baseball team

A brand-new 7,000-seat basketball arena connected to the side of the football stadium with full basketball locker/office/training facilities

A completely renovated multipurpose sport building with new athletic offices, new weight rooms, new training facilities,*new practice basketball courts, new swimming pool, new banked indoor track, etc.

A brand-new expansion on a wellness center only built in the last 5 years expanded to a total size of 120,000 square feet with new basketball courts, climbing wall, martial arts studio, etc.

A new olympic-sized, olympic-quality track at our track stadium

This could be all ours in less than two years.

We'll have und beat for years to come. ;D

2006gwfcchamps
12-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Not going to happen.

The mayor of Fargo says otherwise.

No way can they design a great arena worthy of all the money NDSU and Fargo wants to spend on it and get construction started in 2007 when they haven't even raised any money.

How do you know they haven't already raised the money?

How do you know how long it takes to design an arena that's worthy of your blessing?

If it has to go before the Board of Education like the BSA renovation did that sets it back even further.

It doesn't, no state money is being used.

Only construction that will be happening for a basketball arena will be renovating the BSA.

And the new arena will be going up at the same time.

Why don't you want this arena to happen?

What is your agenda? Pigeonholing the NDSU bball teams into the BSA? Why?

kchats
12-19-2006, 03:32 AM
I am a structural engineer and I design things all the time. It takes time to design an arena and it takes time to come up with the concept. Designing a bridge generally takes at least one year to get it to construction because of plan reviews, permits and bid advertising. There is also the task of selecting an architect/engineer to do the design. All of this takes time along with raising the money.

2006gwfcchamps
12-19-2006, 03:45 AM
What bridge?

The arena will share the Fargodome's western wall and mechanical (heat water electrical) systems.

Absolutely no reason why the concept should take a ton of time to build when it's this simple.

And again, how do you know that the money isn't already in place? I know where they can get at least 8 million dollars. That's a good start!

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-19-2006, 03:48 AM
While it may be possible to get construction under way (questionable at best), do we really want to rush this process? No, ultimately the important thing is to make the new arena, when it happens, to be one of the cornerstones of our athletic future and not something that we look back on and wish we would have done better at the time. A new arena will materialize at some point and in due time will be a great addition, but let's not rush it too much.

kchats
12-19-2006, 03:53 AM
The money raised for the BSA renovation is going to be used for the BSA renovation, get that through your thick head. Better to renovate the BSA as planned and do a great job, planning and designing this new basketball arena so construction goes well and the arena is something NDSU and Fargo can be proud of for a very long time. With the BSA renovation starting in the spring NDSU will have a nice home for basketball until a quality arena is designed and constructed.

2006gwfcchamps
12-19-2006, 04:18 AM
While it may be possible to get construction under way (questionable at best), do we really want to rush this process? No, ultimately the important thing is to make the new arena, when it happens, to be one of the cornerstones of our athletic future and not something that we look back on and wish we would have done better at the time. A new arena will materialize at some point and in due time will be a great addition, but let's not rush it too much.

I guess it depends on what would actually be a rush or not.

If we can get this reasonably done for the 2008 bball season, I think those seniors will have damn well deserved it!

2006gwfcchamps
12-19-2006, 04:21 AM
The money raised for the BSA renovation is going to be used for the BSA renovation, get that through your thick head. Better to renovate the BSA as planned and do a great job, planning and designing this new basketball arena so construction goes well and the arena is something NDSU and Fargo can be proud of for a very long time. With the BSA renovation starting in the spring NDSU will have a nice home for basketball until a quality arena is designed and constructed.

Get this through your head (whatever thickness it may be): 2 million is not going to do much for the the basketball section of that sad white box.

And I don't want another bball related cent to go to that ... thing.

bisonpride2k
12-19-2006, 06:04 AM
The money raised for the BSA renovation is going to be used for the BSA renovation, get that through your thick head. *Better to renovate the BSA as planned and do a great job, planning and designing this new basketball arena so construction goes well and the arena is something NDSU and Fargo can be proud of for a very long time. *With the BSA renovation starting in the spring NDSU will have a nice home for basketball until a quality arena is designed and constructed.

Get this through your head (whatever thickness it may be): 2 million is not going to do much for the the basketball section of that sad white box.

And I don't want another bball related cent to go to that ... thing.

I agree that they better not remodel the seating and other structural things in the BSA to improve watching a game. Why would you waste millions of dollars on something to have it for just 1 or 2 years. That makes no sense at all and is a total waste of money that could be happily used elsewhere by other programs and for other remodeling projets. I believe the BSA will begin its remodeling in every phase with the exception of for games because a plan will already be in place very soon for the new arena. There are more then enough big wheels behind this plan including the mayor that will get this ball rolling very very quickly and done right.

NDSUguy
12-19-2006, 01:21 PM
While it may be possible to get construction under way (questionable at best), do we really want to rush this process? *No, ultimately the important thing is to make the new arena, when it happens, to be one of the cornerstones of our athletic future and not something that we look back on and wish we would have done better at the time. *A new arena will materialize at some point and in due time will be a great addition, but let's not rush it too much.

If we can get this reasonably done for the 2008 bball season, I think those seniors will have damn well deserved it!

Also being an engineer I would have to agree with KC_Hats. Outside of the fundraising efforts there will NOT be an arena by the 2008-2009 season. If they started construction today it would probably take them til the summer of 2008 to finish. Since the city hasn't officially given the goahead yet (and couple that with the fact that the money is likey not all in place) to have this by the 2008-2009 season just won't happen.

I would love to have it for Woody et al when they are seniors but it's just not going to happen that way.

imabison
12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
While it may be possible to get construction under way (questionable at best), do we really want to rush this process? *No, ultimately the important thing is to make the new arena, when it happens, to be one of the cornerstones of our athletic future and not something that we look back on and wish we would have done better at the time. *A new arena will materialize at some point and in due time will be a great addition, but let's not rush it too much.

Also being an engineer I would have to agree with KC_Hats. *Outside of the fundraising efforts there will NOT be an arena by the 2008-2009 season. *If they started construction today it would probably take them til the summer of 2008 to finish. *Since the city hasn't officially given the goahead yet (and couple that with the fact that the money is likey not all in place) to have this by the 2008-2009 season just won't happen.

I would love to have it for Woody et al when they are seniors but it's just not going to happen that way.

However I still think we could refer to the new facility at he house that the FAB 5 built.

IowaBison
12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Also being an engineer I would have to agree with KC_Hats. Outside of the fundraising efforts there will NOT be an arena by the 2008-2009 season. If they started construction today it would probably take them til the summer of 2008 to finish. Since the city hasn't officially given the goahead yet (and couple that with the fact that the money is likey not all in place) to have this by the 2008-2009 season just won't happen.

You and KC_Hats with your negative, poo-poo attitude.

You two can nay say all you want. Contract or not, tomorrow I'm throwing a spade in the back seat of my car and getting to work.

Paulie
12-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Also being an engineer I would have to agree with KC_Hats. *Outside of the fundraising efforts there will NOT be an arena by the 2008-2009 season. *If they started construction today it would probably take them til the summer of 2008 to finish. *Since the city hasn't officially given the goahead yet (and couple that with the fact that the money is likey not all in place) to have this by the 2008-2009 season just won't happen.

You two can nay say all you want. *Contract or not, tomorrow I'm throwing a spade in the back seat of my car and getting to work. *

Hey dude, no reason to get racial.

2006gwfcchamps
12-19-2006, 05:32 PM

I have to respect the opinions of engineers.

At the same time, you said yourself that if construction starts tomorrow we're talking summer of 2008.

Well, LET'S GET IT DONE SOON!

Junior
12-19-2006, 05:59 PM
I have to respect the opinions of engineers.

Sounds good to me. Now tell that to my boss..... :D :D :D

Junior
12-19-2006, 05:59 PM

You two can nay say all you want. *Contract or not, tomorrow I'm throwing a spade in the back seat of my car and getting to work. *

Hey dude, no reason to get racial.

Not funny

NDSUstudent
12-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Didn't Stanford build a 50,000+ seat football stadium in 8 months? Why couldn't NDSU build a 8,000 seat arena in 1 year?

Junior
12-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Didn't Stanford build a 50,000+ seat football stadium in 8 months? Why couldn't NDSU build a 8,000 seat arena in a 1 year?

The University of Iowa completely rebuilt the West side of Kinnick in the off season including press boxes, suites, etc, etc. (very nice inside. Thanks Bison Kent) If I remember correctly, they imploded the old about a week after the last home game.

NDSUstudent
12-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I did some research and found out that Stanford did rebuild their stadium in 10 months....

Starting November 2005, the following milestone events are projected to take place*:

November 19: The Big Game (Stanford vs Cal) - kickoff at 4:00pm. This will be the final Big Game competition between the Cardinal and Bears in the 84-year-old stadium before the New Stanford Stadium opens in Fall 2006.

November 23: Stanford Stadium closes to the public.

November 26: Stanford Football's 2005 season closer against Notre Dame - kickoff at 5:00pm. Stadium Tribute will take place during halftime. Stadium decommission will begin immediately following the Notre Dame game.

November 28: Excavation of existing Stanford Stadium. Construction is scheduled to take place six days a week (two, 8-hour shifts/day).

December 2005: Lower Bowl and new tunnel construction begins

January 2006: Reseating and new seating criteria announced. Public informational meetings begin

February 2006: Upper Bowl and Skybox construction begins

March 2006: Construction of Skybox steel framework

April 2006: Upper Bowl seat installation begins

July 2006: Field installation begins

September 2006: Final inspections

September 16, 2006: Grand Opening

2006gwfcchamps
12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I know there are differences between building new and remodeling.

I also know Iowa and Stanford have more money to throw at contractors to get it done fast.

But I can't see how building this arena should take more than 15 months. That gives us some time still to get it done financially and start breaking ground.

Junior
12-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I would think it would be easier to start from scratch. :-?

kchats
12-20-2006, 04:03 AM
The construction may have taken 10 months but there were alot of other things that took place prior to the construction starting. Selecting an architect/engineer takes time, proposals are submitted and reviewed, teams (architects/engineers) are short-listed for interview, interviews happen, selection committee selects the team to negotiate a contract with, scoping meeting is set up to sit down with the team and owners and determine what the team will be doing with its contract, team prepares its contract proposal including manhour justification and fees, owner reviews contract and usually lowers the fees and ups the scope, team works on preliminary designs for owners, after owners approve preliminary plans a public meeting is held to let the public have their say, owners and team review public comments and adjust designs to include desirable items brought up by public, permit applications are prepared, final design begins, additional public meetings are held to allow the public to have input, changes to final design due to public comment are incorporated, final designs are completed, bid packages and specifications are completed for final owner review, final changes following the final review are incorporated into plans, bid package and specifications, the project is advertised for bid allowing contractors to pick up plans and prepare their bids (usually 2 or 3 week process), prebid meeting is held to address contractor questions, bids are submitted to the owner, bid opening occurs, owner reviews bids and determines bid winner (usually lowest bid), contractor prepares necessary insurance, bonds and other legal items in addition to signing the contract, owner issues a notice to proceed. Yeah this will happen very very quickly. ;)

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-20-2006, 01:28 PM
But hey, we could do all of this by spring and open it in the '08-09 season. It would be easy. We could just have the members of this board take care of all of that for us. I think that a best case scenario for opening the arena would be '09-10 season. Any thoughts?

2006gwfcchamps
12-20-2006, 02:07 PM
It still makes no sense to renovate the arena section of the BSA.

None at all.

Not when we'll have a brand new arena no later than 3 years from now.

And I'm still with the Mayor on the timing issue. If he says we can get it done by 08, then we can get it done!

Junior
12-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Hey, UNI moved to DI twenty some years ago. How big is their basketball following and arena? Granted they have Iowa down the road. Might be a nice comaprison.

2006gwfcchamps
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
It's actually probably the best comparison we have regionally.

Roughly same market size. We both have Big 10 schools not terribly far away.

And as far as success goes, at least for the next 10 years, UNI should be a model for us to follow (made it to the I-AA national championship game and go to the Big Dance almost every year).

Junior
12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Had one of our coaches too.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, I would agree that the idea of re-doing the basketball set-up in the BSA wouldn't necessarily make much sense, but then again we all aren't privy to the future plans of the athletic department, so I'll reserve judgement on that angle. Either way, I'm excited that it sounds like work is going to get under way here pretty soon.

Hammerhead
01-03-2007, 02:49 AM
It should be noted that the 50,000 seat stadium was built on the site of a 70,000+ seat stadium. That being said, are there plans to build a new arena where Dacotah field is/was?

Didn't Stanford build a 50,000+ seat football stadium in 8 months? Why couldn't NDSU build a 8,000 seat arena in 1 year?