PDA

View Full Version : Using extra dome tax for...

2006gwfcchamps
01-20-2007, 09:54 PM
... new turf in the dome?

Assuming it would cost around a million, I think it would be wise to invest in new turf for the dome.

NDSUFREAK10
01-20-2007, 10:35 PM
... new turf in the dome?

Assuming it would cost around a million, I think it would be wise to invest in new turf for the dome.

Yes indeed.

BigBison
01-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I also think that a new turf in the dome would really spruce things up a bit, especially if its that new type of turf that looks more like real grass, you know the kind of turf thats in the metrodome.

56BISON73
01-21-2007, 02:45 AM
I also think that a new turf in the dome would really spruce things up a bit, especially if its that new type of turf that looks more like real grass, you know the kind of turf thats in the metrodome.

Its called Field turf I believe. But is there something the matter with the present turf??? Are the players complaining about it? PL

NDSUFREAK10
01-21-2007, 02:47 AM

Its called Field turf I believe. *But is there something the matter with the present turf??? *Are the players complaining about it? *PL

Well it would make the FFD look even better than it does. If we can afford it then get it.

roadwarrior
01-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Only 1234 would suggest we get new turf at this point.......... ::)

cabis
01-21-2007, 06:34 AM

Its called Field turf I believe. *But is there something the matter with the present turf??? *Are the players complaining about it? *PL

Field turf is great stuff, some say better than real grass, but the problem with it is that it is a permanent installation. ie it can't be rolled up. That is a problem in a multi purpose facility like the FFD.

TriCollegeBison
01-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Agree. I've been on the Metrodome floor. Not only does it look better, but it is... I hate to use the word "softer," but I will for lack of something better at 2:30 in the morning.

Question: The Metrodome has monster truck shows and crap like that there. How does that work with the field turf if it can't be rolled up?

Bison_Kent
01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I actually did a column on the new turfs about three years ago now. At that time, many schools were changing out their old style AstroTurf to get this stuff. Even some schools like Montana replaced their natural grass fields with this stuff. FieldTurf is the most widely known but there are several other manufacturers of this "grass-like" turf.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=55571

Mr._Bill
01-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Can someone tell me exactly what our current turf is? It looks like first generation Astro Turf (burns and injuries included), but some say that it is beyond Astro Turf and somewhere in betweeen Astro Turf and the latest Field Turf.

I also feel that Field Turn should be in the budget as soon as possible and would provide another recruiting advantage.

Bisonguy
01-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Can someone tell me exactly what our current turf is? It looks like first generation Astro Turf (burns and injuries included), but some say that it is beyond Astro Turf and somewhere in betweeen Astro Turf and the latest Field Turf.

I also feel that Field Turn should be in the budget as soon as possible and would provide another recruiting advantage.

Astroturf Magic Carpet (http://www.astroturf.com/magic_carpet.htm)

It's a better surface than the old astroturf, and it's the fastest (read less expensive) surface to change over for multi-use facilties.

TheBisonator
01-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Basically, our turf is the last generation of the old-style "carpet" Astroturf. The kind of turf we currently have is the kind that was in the Rams, Colts, Saints, Falcons, etc. stadiums right before they switched to the new kind of fake grass. I think companies are phasing out the old-style "rug" now that the new "fake grass" turf is gaining popularity. The kind of turf we have is the first generation of turfs where colours and lines can be sewn into the turf, rather than having to be painted on.

2006gwfcchamps
01-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Something else to consider is what the Toronto Rogers Center has done.

They had the new style turf installed in hundreds of 12x12 (or something like that) trays. The trays are then laid on the ground and locked together to form the playing surface. When not needed the trays stack on each other out of the way.

Supposedly the entire baseball field for the Blue Jays can be set up in a couple hours using 2 forklifts.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Something else to consider is what the Toronto Rogers Center has done.

They had the new style turf installed in hundreds of 12x12 (or something like that) trays. The trays are then laid on the ground and locked together to form the playing surface. When not needed the trays stack on each other out of the way.

Supposedly the entire baseball field for the Blue Jays can be set up in a couple hours using 2 forklifts.

I'd rather have the turf we currently have then the crap in Toronto. If we go to field turf the only way to do it is lay it down as a solid surface that isn't made to come apart(your just asking for trouble there) and has a hard cover that protects whenever we aren't using it like the Metrodome uses.

2006gwfcchamps
01-21-2007, 05:06 PM
That's probably the cheaper way to do it.

What trouble have you heard about Toronto's turf?

Both the Blue Jays and Argonauts have been using it without problems I thought.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2007, 06:46 PM
That's probably the cheaper way to do it.

What trouble have you heard about Toronto's turf?

Both the Blue Jays and Argonauts have been using it without problems I thought.

The Twins TV crew wasn't very impressed with the turf Toronto had and it also didn't look that nice. I don't if they have had problems but when turf comes apart improper installation or just aging is a risk.

2006gwfcchamps
01-21-2007, 08:07 PM
The Twins TV crew wasn't very impressed with the turf Toronto had and it also didn't look that nice.

This looks ok to me:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Skydome_Rogers_Center_Toronto_Canada.jpg

*(the above picture is 5221x1601, 829 kB)*

when turf comes apart improper installation or just aging is a risk.

I suppose that's true.

Junior
01-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Only 1234 would suggest we get new turf at this point.......... ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D