PDA

View Full Version : BSA project

roadwarrior
02-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I got a look at the plans for the BSA last week. Let me start by saying most of the money going into this project is not for the basketball arena itself. So whether the Fargodome basketball arena becomes a reality or not, the BSA will still get the major upgrade. (The plans I saw are not the final set. They are still being worked on.)

First there will be two full size basketball practice courts and an all new weight room. These will be located in additions to the existing building. New space will be added on the west, south and possibly the east sides. In the areas behind the seating on the west side, it looks like a small bulldozer will go through there and rip out most if not all of the interior walls. Each sport will get a new locker room area and an adjacent office area on the first floor, and all administrative offices will be moved to the second floor.

Although I could not tell, I am thinking that the new spaces will be on par with what the football team has over at the Fargodome. The changes are pretty dramatic from what exists today. It is all meant to upgrade the home of the Bison student athletes and coaches. You would not believe that the renderings of what the interior spaces will look like are located in that building.

When the final plans are done in the next couple of months, they will most likely develop some kind of marketing for the expansion project with pictures and plans since not all of the money needed has been raised yet.

roadwarrior
02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
p.s.

If you have an extra million or two laying around, give Erv a call :)

2006gwfcchamps
02-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Upgrade locker rooms, coaches offices, training rooms, weight rooms, practice areas, and equipment rooms all you want.

Don't put a red cent into the arena. Don't waste the money. The new Fargodome arena will be the home of NDSU men's and women's basketball, as well as big time volleyball and wrestling matches. Smaller wrestling and volleyball as well as indoor track don't need more than the chairback seats on the west side. Get rid of the fold out benches. Don't need em for those sports and they look like a class B high school arena from the 1930s.

And is there any way we can upgrade the exterior? I mean, come on! *shivers thinking about it*

sambini
02-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the update Road. And give Erv a call if you need some tax write offs.

cabis
02-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Road, were the soccer and volleyball lockers and offices being moved as well? I had heard Volleyball was staying in the BBF but that could be changing with the new arena plans? Soccer is currently in the BBF but plays across campus so having locker rooms closer to the field would be nice.

NDSUFREAK10
02-06-2007, 02:15 AM
GET THAT DAMN LOW CEILING OUT OF THERE!!!!!

roadwarrior
02-06-2007, 02:30 AM
I think the soccer offices will be in the BSA, with volleyball staying at BBF.

kchats
02-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Since the new arena is still in question, are they still going forward with having something in the plans to renovate the basketball arena? If the new arena becomes a reality they could pull it but it would be a shame to not have the ability to renovate it and then have the new arena deal fall apart.

NDSUstudent
02-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Since the new arena is still in question, are they still going forward with having something in the plans to renovate the basketball arena? *If the new arena becomes a reality they could pull it but it would be a shame to not have the ability to renovate it and then have the new arena deal fall apart.

Lets not talk about the new arena deal falling apart, right now NDSU should be doing everything in its power on making it into a reality. Playing basketball in the BSA SHOULD ONLY BE A BACKUP PLAN and a 100% of the time a back-up plan is only used after your intended plan has failed. NDSU needs to take on the postition that a renovated BSA is not a viable solution and that a new arena is needed to ensure the long term success of its basketball program. The last thing the school needs to be doing is making the BSA into a viable alternative because it never will be one. I can see that as well most people who post on this board(or have been to the BSA) but there are people who will use anything to stop a new arena from getting built and the last thing the school needs to be giving them is more ammo.

2006gwfcchamps
02-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Since the new arena is still in question

Keep dreaming.

I know you want to pigeonhole the bball teams into playing in the BSA forever, I just don't know why.

kchats
02-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Until the money is raised and a contractor is hired this "new arena" is still just a dream. The BSA renovation is happening later this year. If they get it built, and roadwarrior said most of the money isn't for the arena, the team will get to play in a better arena while waiting for money to be raised for this "new arena". I haven't seen NDSU wandering around looking for a place to spend $30 million, have you? :o

I would rather they have a nicer arena to play in than the same one they do now. What happens if the "new arena" deal falls apart? If the basketball arena is neglected and the "new arena" doesn't happen then who looks like the fool? :o ::)

BisBison
02-07-2007, 03:19 AM
agreed KC, Gene is walking a tightrope. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now, football schedule, bball arena, conference uncertainty. But then I don't know who else I'd want at the helm right now but him.

2006gwfcchamps
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
What happens if the "new arena" deal falls apart?

What happens if we wake up tomorrow and the sun burned out?

The 2 have about the same probability.

cabis
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
What happens if the "new arena" deal falls apart?

What happens if we wake up tomorrow and the sun burned out?

The 2 have about the same probability.
The nice thing about the sun is nobody has to cut a 50 million dollar check to keep it running. ::)

2006gwfcchamps
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
15 million excess Dome tax, 15 million naming rights.

30 million for an arena.

Looks good to me.

Hammersmith
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
15 million excess Dome tax, 15 million naming rights.

30 million for an arena.

Looks good to me.
First, nobody knows whether there actually will be $15M in excess Dome Tax monies. Second, do you really think $15M is going to suddenly appear when they start asking around for naming rights? Think again. This is the part of the overall plan I have the most doubts about. This area has never been big for that kind of advertising. There are probably more, but I can only think of Newmann Outdoor Field and the Gate City Bank Theater at the Fargodome. I don't think either of those two naming rights was anywhere near the $10M+ that the Dome Authority is talking about.

The excess tax money must first be used for Dome maintenance. Right now, there is an architectural study going on to determine the long-term costs of maintaining the Dome over the next 15-20 years. Until that report comes back, no one knows for sure how much of the tax money must be set aside. On top of that, no one knows exactly how much money the tax will bring in. Since the tax doesn't expire until late 2008(end of the year?), we won't know until early 2009 what the real figure is. We also don't know whether NDSU can actually raise the $10M+ that it needs for its part of the plan. Remember how hard it was just to get the $8M for Phase 1 of the BSA project(over 3 years) - and don't start that crap again about using the BSA money for the Dome arena. The naming rights question is just one more layer on this pile of uncertainty.

I really want this arena to happen, but with so many things that can go wrong, I'd only put the odds at 50/50. I also wouldn't expect to see a 'yes' decision in 2007, though I could see a 'no' one. The arena is a good idea and would be good for the city and NDSU, but good ideas have failed before and will again. Anyone who sticks their head in the sand to avoid hearing the truth of the situation is just asking to have their ass kicked by the first person who comes along.

mikelsch
02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks for being a voice of reason, HammerSmith.

We all want top-notch facilities for Bison athletics, but there are many hurdles (mostly $$$$) to overcome before the BSA is renovated and a NEW BB arena is completed. We want them both, but will need lots of help from corporate and private donors, and cooperation from the city of Fargo to make it happen.

RedRiver
02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm more positive and believe that the project is going to get done, especially because it will not require a public vote. This concept just got announced a few months ago, there is no need to take a negative approach. Let the multipurpose arena committee present their findings first about costs and revenue sources.

But more importantly, email the Fargo commissioners and let them know of your support for a multipurpose arena.

2006gwfcchamps
02-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't think either of those two naming rights was anywhere near the $10M+ that the Dome Authority is talking about.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about naming for the whole complex, not just the arena.

That's easily worth 15 million.

kchats
02-08-2007, 03:38 AM
Write your check 2006! ;) ;) ;)

Money, money, money you think everybody has tons of money. NDSU hasn't even raised the full $16 million for the BSA and now they are going to get $30 million plus in less than one year.

Renovate the BSA and then begin raising the huge chunk of money that a new arena would take.

NDSUstudent
02-08-2007, 04:07 AM

Money, money, money you think everybody has tons of money. *NDSU hasn't even raised the full $16 million for the BSA and now they are going to get $30 million plus in less than one year.

Renovate the BSA and then begin raising the huge chunk of money that a new arena would take.

The new arena is going to cost 15 million not 30 unless the school plans on building a new arena by themselves. Also the BSA renovation is 8 million not 16(I think that is for a complete renovation) which isn't going to happen as long as the new arena next to the Dome is a possibility. Basketball deserves to have a real arena for once, getting a new arena built has to be the #1 priority for NDSU athletics(at least I hope it is).

2006gwfcchamps
02-08-2007, 02:50 PM
NDSU may not even need to pay a single cent to the new arena if things fall rights (excess tax and naming rights).

Renovate the BSA for everything except the arena.

Hammersmith
02-08-2007, 04:29 PM
We pay now or we pay later. If we contribute to the building fund, we get free use of the facility and scheduling priority. If the arena is built without us, we will pay for using it for the next 30+ years and have little control over it. I hope we'll contribute at least one-third of the cost. With that kind of contribution, NDSU might be able to demand some design concessions(like green seats?).

2006gwfcchamps
02-08-2007, 04:34 PM
We'll pay for use of the facility no matter how much we pay for it.

It will be owned by the city, not the university => we pay rent.

BisBison
02-08-2007, 05:14 PM
We'll pay for use of the facility no matter how much we pay for it.

It will be owned by the city, not the university => we pay rent.

maybe so, but not at the same rate. NDSU ownes the land and 1/3 of the facility itself = less rent and more control than not 1/3 ownership IMHO.

kchats
02-10-2007, 02:15 AM

Money, money, money you think everybody has tons of money. *NDSU hasn't even raised the full $16 million for the BSA and now they are going to get $30 million plus in less than one year.

The new arena is going to cost 15 million not 30 unless the school plans on building a new arena by themselves. Also the BSA renovation is 8 million not 16(I think that is for a complete renovation) which isn't going to happen as long as the new arena next to the Dome is a possibility. Basketball deserves to have a real arena for once, getting a new arena built has to be the #1 priority for NDSU athletics(at least I hope it is).

The figures I have been hearing are around $50 million for the new arena and NDSU is expected to fork over 2/3 of it or $30 million.

The BSA renovation has raised over $8 million and will have more done because of that. I'm not so sure the new arena will happen. Too much money to raise at this point in the transition.

NDSUFREAK10
02-10-2007, 02:25 AM
When are they expecting the renovations to be done?

kchats
02-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Last I heard they are supposed to start after the school year is over.

NDSUstudent
02-10-2007, 04:51 AM

The figures I have been hearing are around $50 million for the new arena and NDSU is expected to fork over 2/3 of it or $30 million.

The BSA renovation has raised over $8 million and will have more done because of that. *I'm not so sure the new arena will happen. *Too much money to raise at this point in the transition.

You heard this where? The highest number the Forum has reported is 45 million with 15 million each coming from NDSU, the city and private sources.

This is right from the Bison media Blog....

The new arena movement probably gets a mild boost here, and by the way, I talked to Gene Taylor a couple days ago, and he says the proposals he's hearing are asking for closer to 15 million than 30, with NDSU and the City teaming up to get the remaining 15 figured out somehow.

kchats
02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Who do you think the City will expect to find the naming rights money? NDSU that makes $30 million for NDSU with the City throwing in $15 million if they can from the excess taxes. Sounds like NDSU needs to raise $30 million to me.

NDSUstudent
02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Who do you think the City will expect to find the naming rights money? *NDSU that makes $30 million for NDSU with the City throwing in $15 million if they can from the excess taxes. *Sounds like NDSU needs to raise $30 million to me.

So naming rights are going to be zero apparently, I agree they probably aren't going to get 15 million but I could see 5-10 million for naming rights. Also 45 million is on the high end of estimates of the proposed arena, the bottem end is 30 million(which would mean a UNI type arena and that would be perfectly fine with me).

2006gwfcchamps
02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
The figures I have been hearing are around $50 million for the new arena and NDSU is expected to fork over 2/3 of it or $30 million

Oh, that's what you 'heard'?

Well, since you only 'heard' it, I guess you comment is above suspicion.

I heard that the will cost 30 million and that NDSU will pay nothing for it.

I guess our dual comments cancel each other out, leaving only time to tell the true story.

2006gwfcchamps
02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Who do you think the City will expect to find the naming rights money? NDSU that makes $30 million for NDSU with the City throwing in $15 million if they can from the excess taxes. Sounds like NDSU needs to raise $30 million to me.

Nope.

15 million naming rights sounds about right.

kchats
02-10-2007, 07:00 PM
And who is going to find the company to put up $15 million for naming rights? I don't believe it will be the City of Fargo.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16667479.htm

A naming-rights agreement for a stadium can garner several million dollars a year. Sprint Nextel Corp. has pledged to pay $2.5 million a year for 25 years for the right to name Kansas City’s new downtown arena the Sprint Center.

That figure, however, depends on the arena landing an NBA or an NHL franchise. If that does not happen, Sprint expects to pay about one-third less for the naming rights.

Doesn't sound like even the Spring Center here in Kansas City got $15 million at once. $2.5 million a year for 25 years, less with no anchor tenant. :o

NDSUstudent
02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Who knows, Minnesota got 35 million from a bank in the Twin Cities, Fargo got over a million for Newman Field. I don't know about 15 million but I think the city could get at least 5 million and maybe at least 10 if they sold the rights for the the arena and the dome.

2006gwfcchamps
02-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Here's another way to look at the Minnesota naming rights deal:

they're getting 35 million based on what TCF expects will be hundreds of thousands of people seeing the TCF logo and branding every year. Last season, Minnesota had 313239 people come to 6 games.

NDSU had 81886 fans come to 5 games in the Fargodome last season (or roughly 98k for 6 games).

If you take the ratio 35 million/313239 = 15 million/X, X turns out to be around 134k.

IMO, X should be the number of people per year that should be expected to visit the venue.

Since the Fargodome complex wouldn't just be a football stadium open 6 times per year, we'd easily exceed 134k per year.

So, is asking for 15 million over whatever years too much to ask considering the U MN football stadium deal?

Hardly.

NDSUFREAK10
02-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Here's another way to look at the Minnesota naming rights deal:

they're getting 35 million based on what TCF expects will be hundreds of thousands of people seeing the TCF logo and branding every year. Last season, Minnesota had 313239 people come to 6 games.

NDSU had 81886 fans come to 5 games in the Fargodome last season (or roughly 98k for 6 games).

If you take the ratio 35 million/313239 = 15 million/X, X turns out to be around 134k.

IMO, X should be the number of people per year that should be expected to visit the venue.

Since the Fargodome complex wouldn't just be a football stadium open 6 times per year, we'd easily exceed 134k per year.

So, is asking for 15 million over whatever years too much to ask considering the U MN football stadium deal?

Hardly.

Did you ever get mathletes foot as a kid?? :-?

I"M JUST KEEEDINGGG!!!

bisonaudit
02-10-2007, 08:07 PM
TCF stadium for the UofM is going to get on national TV a time or two (something about Big 10 football and opponents like OSU, Michigan, MSU, Penn St. and Wisconsin) and the FargoDome won't. Factor those eyeballs into your equation and $15 million is a bit of a stretch.

NDSUFREAK10
02-10-2007, 08:28 PM
TCF stadium for the UofM is going to get on national TV a time or two (something about Big 10 football and opponents like OSU, Michigan, MSU, Penn St. and Wisconsin) and the FargoDome won't. *Factor those eyeballs into your equation and $15 million is a bit of a stretch.

I'm sure when we get the arena done we will have a game broadcasted on ESPN 2 like UNI had this year. That is still national coverage.

2006gwfcchamps
02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Are the Gophers vs. Michigan games ever higher than ESPN, anyway?

I'm sure once we start hosting playoff games, that will be on ESPN2.

Also, if we hosted the Mid Con tournament, the championship game could be on ESPN 2 or ESPN U.

Mr_Meanor
02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
TCF is getting alot of perks besides just naming rights. I believe the U of M has agreed to use only TCF ATM's on campus and will allow TCF to open several offices and banks on campus were US banks now exist. Comparing naming right for a facility like TCF Bank Stadium to a new NDSU facilities is nonsense. I would be happy if NDSU could get a 5 million naming right deal. Besides...what companies are in this area that would be willing to fork over money.

2006gwfcchamps
02-13-2007, 07:36 PM
It's not nonsense.

15 million is not too much to ask for naming rights to the whole facility.

At least a million people will go in and out of that place every year once the basketball arena is added.

Bison13
02-14-2007, 03:13 AM
Scheels?

tophatfan
02-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Stop and Go

NDSUFREAK10
02-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Stop and Go

Heaven forbid

TriCollegeBison
02-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Ooh, I like this game... :D

5. Don's Carwash Stadium
4. Krolls Stadium
3. Country Furniture Stadium (nevermind, I think they went out of business)
2. Carpet World Stadium
1. Pizza Ranch Stadium

TransAmBison
02-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I could go for "House of Pizza Patrol"

NDSU_grad
02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I always thought Scheels would be a great sponsor for naming rights. Scheels Arena doesn't sound stupid, like some of the other stadiums/arenas who have sold naming rights do. We could let Scheels have exclusive rights to sell NDSU gear and the aparell of whoever we happened to be playing that night at the games. Some of the Mid-Con and Gateway markets would be perfect for a new Scheels store.

2006gwfcchamps
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Nice thinking!

See, it can be done. You just have to have an open mind.

mikelsch
02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
4. Cum Kum and Go Arena * * *ooops ;D
3. Loaf and Jug Stadium
2. Chubs Pub Place

1. Scheels Center

WYOBISONMAN
02-14-2007, 05:49 PM
4. Cum and Go Arena
3. Loaf and Jug Stadium
2. Chubs Pub Place

1. Scheels Center

;DLOL......Greenie........I hate to tell you this,but the store is called "Kum and Go".......not Cum.......LMAO. ;D ;D

But that was good!

tcbison
02-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I like Chub's Pub Place. That is classic!

westsidebison
02-15-2007, 02:16 AM
I know they're going through a lawsuit and all but what about the "ALIEN ARENA"

sambini
02-15-2007, 03:03 AM
HAPPY HARRYS ARENA AND WINE TASTING EXPO

IowaBison
02-15-2007, 03:28 AM
Tharaldson Budget Arena, Convention Center, and Hotel.

sambini
02-15-2007, 03:49 AM
MICROSOFT HIGH TECH CENTER

BigBison
02-15-2007, 11:07 PM
IR BOBCAT Arena???

2006gwfcchamps
02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
IR BOBCAT Arena???

There you go.

BigBison
02-15-2007, 11:47 PM
actually I know theres a Trucking Company call Bison Transport I think there base out of ND, Fargo maybe?
how about that Bison Transport Center then just shorten it up to Bison Center?? that works out nicely

sambini
02-16-2007, 12:37 AM
SPORTS BAR ARENA

56BISON73
02-16-2007, 03:51 AM
SPORTS BAR ARENA

Sambini---youre the man!!!!! So who has the best thin crust pizza in town now??? Is the Grainery still a great place to eat???? PL

sambini
02-16-2007, 04:40 AM
Duanes thin crust pizza. The Grainery closed is now Grizzlys in the mall.

56BISON73
02-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Duanes thin crust pizza. The Grainery closed is now Grizzlys in the mall.

Duanes House of Pizza is still there. Amazing. PL

sambini
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
LAKESHIRTS ARENA

TriCollegeBison
02-16-2007, 04:58 PM
actually I know theres a Trucking Company call Bison Transport I think there base out of ND, Fargo maybe? *
how about that Bison Transport Center then just shorten it up to Bison Center?? that works out nicely

I think they are based out of Winnipeg, Canada. *So if GF ever needs a stadium named, they can call it the Bison Center. * ;D

sambini
02-16-2007, 07:04 PM
They could rename the Alerus. hmm... THE BISON CENTER+++++

Bison_Dan
02-16-2007, 07:38 PM
They could rename the Alerus. hmm... THE BISON CENTER+++++

I don't want our name associated with a money loser! :D

sambini
02-16-2007, 08:10 PM
It could make money if they used it right. Potato or sugar beet storage What do you think?

sambini
02-16-2007, 08:10 PM
AMERICAN CRYSTAL SUGAR PALACE

mikelsch
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
The Bison BBall show last night had a segment on the updated BSA renovation plans. I was very impressed with the plans, and they make the current BSA almost unrecognizable from the outside and especially inside.

Some highlights include: an addition on the south/west side for 2 new practice BBall courts, an addition on the east side for throwing/batting for baseball/softball, a new expanded main entrance/lobby on the south side, a much improved look to the north side, a hall of fame area for all sports, a study area, new weight training area, new/expanded track surface, completely renovated offices, locker rooms, concessions, restrooms. These things look like they will be done regardless if a new arena happens or not.

Besides the renovation/addition, the drawings show other changes for the surrounding land. For example where the current decrepit Dacotah field is located, there are 2 new FB practice fields that run north-south. It didn't show what (if anything) was going to be done with the current practice fields.

Finalized plans and total cost is still unknown and depends on fundraising, and probably if a new fargodome arena is built. They said the project could also be done in phases depending on fundraising. Hoping to start the project in Fall 2007 and will probably cost $16-$20 million. Fundraising is going well, but did not say how much is still needed. I would also guess that the fate of a possible new arena should be known within the next few months.

Bison_Dan
02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
The Bison BBall show last night had a segment on the updated BSA renovation plans. *I was very impressed with the plans, and they make the current BSA almost unrecognizable from the outside and especially inside.

Some highlights include: an addition on the south/west side for 2 new practice BBall courts, an addition on the east side for throwing/batting for baseball/softball, a new expanded main entrance/lobby on the south side, a much improved look to the north side, a hall of fame area for all sports, a study area, new weight training area, new/expanded track surface, completely renovated offices, locker rooms, concessions, restrooms. *These things look like they will be done regardless if a new arena happens or not. *

Besides the renovation/addition, the drawings show other changes for the surrounding land. *For example where the current decrepit Dacotah field is located, there are 2 new FB practice fields that run north-south. *It didn't show what (if anything) was going to be done with the current practice fields. *

Finalized plans and total cost is still unknown and depends on fundraising, and probably if a new fargodome arena is built. *They said the project could also be done in phases depending on fundraising. *Hoping to start the project in Fall 2007 and will probably cost $16-$20 million. *Fundraising is going well, but did not say how much is still needed. *I would also guess that the fate of a possible new arena should be known within the next few months.

Sounds Great - Now if we can get some fat cats to pony up!
;D

2006gwfcchamps
02-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Sounds damn nice.

BSA = future NDSU practice facility.

New Dome area = future NDSU gameday facility. (except for indoor track, of course)

NDSUFREAK10
02-19-2007, 11:43 PM
How about removing or putting that damn ceiling a little bit higher so you can see the scoreboard from the top row.

sambini
02-20-2007, 04:23 AM
The Bison BBall show last night had a segment on the updated BSA renovation plans. *I was very impressed with the plans, and they make the current BSA almost unrecognizable from the outside and especially inside.

Some highlights include: an addition on the south/west side for 2 new practice BBall courts, an addition on the east side for throwing/batting for baseball/softball, a new expanded main entrance/lobby on the south side, a much improved look to the north side, a hall of fame area for all sports, a study area, new weight training area, new/expanded track surface, completely renovated offices, locker rooms, concessions, restrooms. *These things look like they will be done regardless if a new arena happens or not. *
Greenie
Besides the renovation/addition, the drawings show other changes for the surrounding land. *For example where the current decrepit Dacotah field is located, there are 2 new FB practice fields that run north-south. *It didn't show what (if anything) was going to be done with the current practice fields. *

Finalized plans and total cost is still unknown and depends on fundraising, and probably if a new fargodome arena is built. *They said the project could also be done in phases depending on fundraising. *Hoping to start the project in Fall 2007 and will probably cost $16-$20 million. *Fundraising is going well, but did not say how much is still needed. *I would also guess that the fate of a possible new arena should be known within the next few months. Greenie, I was also very impressed. This will be one nice
place.++++

IowaBisonToo
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Git 'er done!!!! ;)

99Bison
02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Dated last december, but I know the bsa fund has been full (8M) for quite some time already.

http://www.ndsufoundation.com/campaign/goals/charts.htm

IowaBison
02-20-2007, 09:16 PM
nice link to the bsa and cob sketches as well.

TheBisonator
02-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Can someone possibly post the new plans here?? I haven't seen them yet...

roadwarrior
02-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Those BSA plans are the OLD ones. You can throw them out the window. The new plans are much much different.

NDSUFREAK10
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Those BSA plans are the OLD ones. *You can throw them out the window. *The new plans are much much different.

The sketches are old? If so, then is the inside going to be like that or something different?

GET THE DAMN LOW CEILING OUT OF THERE!!!

Hammersmith
03-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Some new info:

BSA project progresses (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=158584&section=sports)

Pictures:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/full_photo.cfm?id=187771
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/full_photo.cfm?id=187772
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/full_photo.cfm?id=187773

tony
03-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Ah, I finally see how they were planning on putting in luxury boxes for basketball - a new addition on the east side.

I really like the two soccer practice fields moving - and looks like Dacotah becomes football's new practice field - makes sense because it's closer to the new locker room complex.

BisBison
03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
I give the whole plan a +++++++++ Now all we need is for Innegar to find another $17MM :o :o :o

BisBison
03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I give the whole plan a +++++++++ Now all we need is for Innegar to find another $17MM :o :o :o

Oh and I forgot, and another $15MM for NDSU's share of the Dome arena expansion. :o :o :o :o

roadwarrior
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I had not seen the new soccer field along University, but I know the existing field which is inside the track is smaller than most soccer fields, although still legal.

Ivy
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Now all we need is for Innegar to find another $17MM :o :o :o

Do you think it can be done before he retires? By the way, I haven't heard of any canidates for Erv's job. That's going to be a hard one to fill. He's done an awesome job with the big donors!

kchats
03-06-2007, 02:11 AM
I sure hope they have more than the $8 million that was reported in the paper today. Seems to me that the $8 million was raised a long time ago. Plans look very nice. I was a bit surprised to read that they are removing the swimming pool. I guess that means swimming won't be added at NDSU anytime soon.

ACES1180
03-06-2007, 02:17 AM
I sure hope they have more than the $8 million that was reported in the paper today. *Seems to me that the $8 million was raised a long time ago. *Plans look very nice. *I was a bit surprised to read that they are removing the swimming pool. *I guess that means swimming won't be added at NDSU anytime soon.

I could be wrong, but are they adding a pool to the addition on the Wellness Center?

kchats
03-06-2007, 02:20 AM
If so would it be a pool that meets NCAA competition guidelines?

roadwarrior
03-06-2007, 02:23 AM
No pool in the wellness center.

NDSUFREAK10
03-06-2007, 03:06 AM

Chuck Norris will take care of that....for free. Then he'll instead swim through the land as his warm up before testing the water.......

ACES1180
03-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Ok...Thanks for the clarification.

2006gwfcchamps
03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Putting an actual full size pool in the wellness center (or anywhere for that matter) is a huge waste of money if we don't have a swim team.

For the few students that want to swim for fitness, I think the demand could be handled with a couple of these:

http://www.seniorjournal.com/Photos/EndlessPoolInside-4-11-5.jpg

IowaBisonToo
03-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Putting an actual full size pool in the wellness center (or anywhere for that matter) is a huge waste of money if we don't have a swim team.

For the few students that want to swim for fitness, I think the demand could be handled with a couple of these:

http://www.seniorjournal.com/Photos/EndlessPoolInside-4-11-5.jpg
Regulation-sized pool a waste of money - maybe. However, a couple of flumes isn't gonna cut it. Personally, I think it's a damn shame there won't be a pool on campus anymore.

I was a swimmer in high school and a little in college. However, the pool was used for so much more than that. Where are the P.E. majors going to learn how to teach swimming in the high schools? Where are the water aerobics classes going to be held? Where are the water safety instructor classes and lifeguard training classes going to be held? Weren't there scuba classes offered in the pool? Where are kids going to go if they want to swim to keep fit (yeah, a flume could solve this problem easily)? Is NDSU still going to offer those classes? If so, do they trek over to Fargo North and rent their pool? Are there coaches that use the pool for training?

At the very least, there should be some sort of pool that can accomodate the classes and people that currently use it.

2006gwfcchamps
03-06-2007, 01:52 PM
I think the new BSA training rooms are going to get new hydrotherapy equipment, maybe something like this:

http://www.swimex.com/sportsrehab/collegegallery.html

Those classes probably won't be offered anymore.

IowaBisonToo
03-06-2007, 01:56 PM
So if the classes aren't offered anymore, how does a PE graduate sell themselves to a larger school district as a teacher, knowing full well they don't have the ability to teach swimming to the kids? Does NDSU say, "To bad. So sad. Go somewhere else and learn how to teach swimming." That, IMHO, would be pretty crappy. >:(

2006gwfcchamps
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
How many districts in the state of ND expect their PE teachers to teach swimming?

IowaBisonToo
03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
How many districts in the state of ND expect their PE teachers to teach swimming?
Who said anything about limiting the job prospectives of the PE grads to the state of ND? No, there aren't a lot in ND but, start counting the schools in MN that have pools or access to one lest yea forget where a number of NDSU students come from. Hell, our little town of 6000 here in Iowa doesn't have a swim team in the high school but, they teach swimming to the kids starting in grade school using the city's indoor pool. Can't do that without some experience, can you?

2006gwfcchamps
03-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Who said anything about limiting the job prospectives of the PE grads to the state of ND?

The mission of a state public university is to teach high school students in that state for careers in that state.

If students come from out of state or leave state after graduation, that's up to them.

cadillac
03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Good point Iowa, I beleave it's the same in MN

IowaBisonToo
03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Who said anything about limiting the job prospectives of the PE grads to the state of ND?

The mission of a state public university is to teach high school students in that state for careers in that state.

If students come from out of state or leave state after graduation, that's up to them.

That's all fine a good but, if you're going to grow your university, then you better damn well cater to people from out of state - especially when your home state only has 650,000 people in it. *Yes, the mission of a university is to teach students for careers in the state in which it is located but, now days, universities are more about big business and not necessarily about following the mission to a T. That means catering to kids from other states and realizing these kids are going to leave ND when they're finished with school. *Unfortunate, yet realistic.

BisonSig
03-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I agree for NDSU not to have a pool is very short sighted. Back in the day we used it to work on our form for pole vaulting. Brace the pole under the diving board, lay a garden hose/rope along the top of the water and hoist our bodies as if we were vaulting. Helped get the body used to the positioning used in the vault.

And I do think we should look at adding swimming, at least women's, in the future. The MidCon has it as a sponsored sport.

Bison101
03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Wasn't the old pool undersized in same shape or fashion that made it less than desirable for DI competition? If so, perhaps there are plans for an "aquatic" center or something down the line. There is more to this then we know.

2006gwfcchamps
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
perhaps there are plans for an "aquatic" center or something down the line.

That would be the correct thing to do if we were going to add swimming as a sport.

insane_ponderer
03-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Another thing that i noticed with the BSA plans was the soccer fields, one is supposedly a practice field and the other is a competition field.

Does anyone have any idea what they are going to do with the space where the old soccer fields were ?

mikelsch
03-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Another thing that i noticed with the BSA plans was the soccer fields, one is supposedly a practice field and the other is a competition field.

Does anyone have any idea what they are going to do with the space where the old soccer fields were ?

The current soccer field (inside the track) will stay as is ---> for field events
Don't know about the current soccer practice field behind the bleachers

2006gwfcchamps
03-06-2007, 09:58 PM
My guess is the space west of the current track stadium will be used for the new softball stadium.

The 4 current softball fields will be rec use for the school and city.

DIBISON
03-18-2007, 04:51 AM
The ND State Board of Higher Education gave approval for NDSU to spend $25.5 million on the renovation of the Bison Sports Arena. NDSU will not begin the project until all of the private funding has been raised.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=159692

Mr._Bill
03-18-2007, 02:35 PM
While some have said that ground will break this fall on the BSA renovation, that is not the way it looks based on this article with $22.5MM needed and 8.5 in hand. This is not good.

Bottom line, NDSU basketball needs this project and/or the FFD project to move forward. Languishing in the current BSA is going to hurt recruiting and will not help the program grow, even playing in the mid-con.

Things do not seem very positive at the present time. If I knew that we would be playing in a renovated BSA in 2009 or a New FFD addition in 2010, it would be much more hopeful. Right now there is no guarantee when either of the projects will happen.

2006gwfcchamps
03-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Basically, we need the FD expansion to happen.

It does look like it's going to happen.

Then we can cut the basketball facilities off of the proposed BSA expansion and that might well bring the price down to 8 million.

BisBison
03-18-2007, 04:46 PM
And we will start the renovation of the BSA even without all the money in hand. They have stated it can be done in stages as the money comes in. You can do a lot with $8MM.
It's not going to happen overnight, but it'll happen. SU has it's hand out everywhere now, new business building, new architecture building, proposed new library, etc... The State of ND is always good at giving us permission to do things, but not so good at funding them. So we move forward without them. I feel good about being affiliated with a place that is chasing its dreams and goals rather than just waiting around for the state to give us what we need.

sambini
03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
And we will start the renovation of the BSA even without all the money in hand. They have stated it can be done in stages as the money comes in. You can do a lot with $8MM.
It's not going to happen overnight, but it'll happen. SU has it's hand out everywhere now, new business building, new architecture building, proposed new library, etc... The State of ND is always good at giving us permission to do things, but not so good at funding them. So we move forward without them. I feel good about being affiliated with a place that is chasing its dreams and goals rather than just waiting around for the state to give us what we need.
Very well said BisBison ++++

2006gwfcchamps
03-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Good point about redoing the BSA in stages.

I think we should go ahead and do the stages that don't have anything to do with basketball with the 8 million we have. New offices, new locker rooms, take the pool out, new weight room, new baseball/softball facilities, new football practice fields.

Then we can go one of 2 ways:

- build the new Bison basketball center next to the FD

- raise funds for the complete BSA build out.

BisBison
03-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Good point about redoing the BSA in stages.

I think we should go ahead and do the stages that don't have anything to do with basketball with the 8 million we have. New offices, new locker rooms, take the pool out, new weight room, new baseball/softball facilities, new football practice fields.

Then we can go one of 2 ways:

- build the new Bison basketball center next to the FD

- raise funds for the complete BSA build out.

I think that is what the plan is with the inclusion of the bball practice courts in the initial construction phase.

2006gwfcchamps
03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
No, that shouldn't be/I don't think it is the plan.

Like I said, anything having to do with basketball, put it on hold for now.

The ideal plan is to have all basketball facilities (practice courts, locker rooms, etc.) at the new Dome arena.

BisBison
03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
No, that shouldn't be/I don't think it is the plan.

Like I said, anything having to do with basketball, put it on hold for now.

The ideal plan is to have all basketball facilities (practice courts, locker rooms, etc.) at the new Dome arena.

Not gonna happen. We need to leverage all the city/private $$$ for a proposed Dome arena into the arena itself. That's the only way a first class arena will be built. The city simply won't put up any more money than the existing tax can support. If this has to go to a vote there's no was the city of Fargo gets a 60% yes vote in today's environment. People feel they are taxed to death and wouldn't vote yes to buy a lifeboat in a flood if it cost them a 1/2% sales tax for three years.

2006gwfcchamps
03-19-2007, 02:53 PM
At most it means NDSU's share would go up 5 million. Probably not that much.

All that we'd be doing is building the proposed practice courts, locker rooms, and whatever else what would've been built at the BSA at the Dome instead.

We're going to have to build them one way or another, and the it's going to cost the same either way. So why save the bball players time and give them the convenience of one connected bball facility instead of making them walk in the cold of winter from the dome to the BSA.

roadwarrior
03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
The basketball practice courts and offices will be built in the addition to the BSA. I am almost certain that this will not change. The coaches do not want their offices or practice facility at the dome.

Ivy
03-19-2007, 07:24 PM
The basketball practice courts and offices will be built in the addition to the BSA. *I am almost certain that this will not change. *The coaches do not want their offices or practice facility at the dome.

I think they would want their offices there if they were a nice as the football office complex. *I'm sure the remodel of the BSA offices will be nice, but the way football is done is very impressive.

DORMIE
03-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I agree with Road. The practice facilities and offices do not belong at the Dome addition. The facility will have multi uses, not just BB. I have been to the McLeod Center at UNI. It's a basketball facility. I'd love to see one exactly like that one in Fargo.

2006gwfcchamps
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Why is it correct for football but not for basketball?

This is just the same nonsense pigeonholing that KChats is trying to do. Long live the BSA? Please.

kchats
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Footballs locker rooms were under the old stadium bleachers at Dakota Field. Basketball has always had their offices and locker rooms in the BSA. Why spend the money to build locker rooms and practice courts at the dome when NDSU would end up having to pay rent for them when they can build them at a facility they own and use them without renting them?

Until I see an agreement with the Fargo Dome Authority and NDSU and the money raised for a new arena I am expecting the basketball arena to be renovated for the teams to use.

2006gwfcchamps
03-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Why spend the money to build locker rooms and practice courts at the dome when NDSU would end up having to pay rent for them

Why build locker rooms and football offices at the Fargodome when NDSU would end up having to pay rent for them?

Obviously something was worked out and it was the correct thing to be done.

So of course it's the correct thing to do for basketball.

Until I see an agreement with the Fargo Dome Authority and NDSU and the money raised for a new arena I am expecting the basketball arena to be renovated for the teams to use.

I'd plan on expecting for a long time.

The BSA upgrade will be done in stages with the basketball facilities coming last. We won't have the money for those for years. Enough time, at least, to get the Dome arena done.

kchats
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Where else could the football locker rooms have been put? They were beneath the old dumpy bleachers and were pretty run down. The BSA locker rooms are all full they didn't have a choice. Glad to hear you want the basketball teams to play in the old BSA basketball arena for the next 4 years or so. >:(

2006gwfcchamps
03-19-2007, 11:32 PM
If that sacrifice means NDSU will play in a new 8k arena will all the bells and whistles, damn right.

roadwarrior
03-19-2007, 11:51 PM
The new basketball practice faciltity, coaches offices, and other amenities being planned for the Bison Sports Arena will do as much or more for recruiting of players and coaches as the arena itself will.

2006gwfcchamps
03-20-2007, 12:18 AM
First of all, practice facilities and coaches offices are just as important in recruiting players and coaches as a new arena.

This much we agree on.

The mind boggling part of this whole thing to me is why you guys are so desperate to get the basketball facilities at the BSA upgraded.

The BSA has never been and never will be, regardless of how much money you pump into it, worth saving.

Losing Dacotah field, now that was a tragedy.

Why are you pretending that basketball leaving the BSA is even close to the same magnitude?

I champion the move and it can't come soon enough.

NDSU is going to have to spend a set amount of money on new basketball practice facilities.

There is no way of getting around that.

We can put these new facilities anywhere on campus that we want.

They can be next to the union, next to the high rises, out in the corn fields. The location won't significantly increase or decrease cost.

Thus, doesn't it make the most sense to place the facilities in the location that maximizes utility for the players and coaches?

Obviously.

And that location is, without a doubt, connected to the new FD arena.

I can't put it cleaner than that. Just can't.

Accept it and move on.

kchats
03-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Where is the weight room? What about the administrative offices?

If you can't read maybe we can spell it out NDSU is renovating the BSA and the basketball practice courts and locker rooms are a part of that. Read the articles in the newspaper. >:(

2006gwfcchamps
03-20-2007, 01:08 AM
NDSU is renovating the BSA and the basketball practice courts and locker rooms are a part of that.

The key concept you're lacking is called "construction stages".

This is not an all or nothing deal.

You wish.

The most important parts, the new offices, new weight room, etc., will be done first with a keen eye fixed on the new FD arena plans.

roadwarrior
03-20-2007, 02:43 AM
We can put these new facilities anywhere on campus that we want.

They can be next to the union, next to the high rises, out in the corn fields. The location won't significantly increase or decrease cost.

Accept it and move on.

There is only one problem with your logic, 2006, and that is that the people in charge have already determined that the basketball practice courts will be in the new addition to the BSA.

Accept it and move on. ::)

kchats
03-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Amen Roadwarrior. But you know 2006 everything just whistles right on through his head. ;)

TheBisonator
03-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Here's what I think they need to do right now:

NDSU has about $8.5 million raised for the BSA renovation. So why not take that master plan for the BSA, and chop it up into three stages (or two at least) with the first $8.5 mill stage being built AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It will not be the finished master BSA, but it will take care of the things that can be taken care of now. Once we have spent the 8.5 million, it will become a lot easier to figure out how much more money we need to complete any BSA renovations, and our chip-in share of the new FFD arena. I think the problem right now is that we have 8.5 million, and we have no idea how to use it. I say use it right now for its intended purpose, and worry about additional money after we've spent what we've got.

BisBison
03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Here's what I think they need to do right now:

NDSU has about $8.5 million raised for the BSA renovation. So why not take that master plan for the BSA, and chop it up into three stages (or two at least) with the first $8.5 mill stage being built AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It will not be the finished master BSA, but it will take care of the things that can be taken care of now. Once we have spent the 8.5 million, it will become a lot easier to figure out how much more money we need to complete any BSA renovations, and our chip-in share of the new FFD arena. I think the problem right now is that we have 8.5 million, and we have no idea how to use it. I say use it right now for its intended purpose, and worry about additional money after we've spent what we've got.

I think that is exactly what is being done. I also take issue wit the statement that we have no idea how to use the money already raised. I think Joe and Gene know EXACTLY what they want to do with it, it's just most people on this board have their own ideas as to what to do. They'll get it done. They have already said the work will start before all the money is raised AND they will do the things not directly related to the bball arena seating and such until the Fargo Dome addition is cleared up. After that they'll know where the next step will go. I'm guessing there are major unannounced $$ just waiting for a green light so they know where to dedicate them for a new arena.

2006gwfcchamps
03-20-2007, 01:37 PM
the people in charge have already determined that the basketball practice courts will be in the new addition to the BSA.

Just because an article was in the Forum?

So what?

That don't mean crap.

The plans can easily change to accommodate new developments.

No need at all to limit ourselves to anything at this point.

IowaBison
03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
That's preposterous, BisBison.

Taylor and Chapman are fools. If it wasn't for them following my suggestions on this board the University, nay the entire Universe, would come crashing down on us.

:P

BisBison
03-21-2007, 11:10 PM

Taylor and Chapman are fools. *If it wasn't for them following my suggestions on this board the University, nay the entire Universe, would come crashing down on us.

?????????????????

Go_Herd
03-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Taylor and Chapman are fools. *If it wasn't for them following my suggestions on this board the University, nay the entire Universe, would come crashing down on us.

?????????????????

uhh Sarcasm right. Is your detector turned off.

IowaBison
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
heck, i even stuck my tongue out.

it's my tone and use of the Queen's English that did it.