PDA

View Full Version : New Basketball Arena

Pages : [1] 2

BisonSig
12-12-2006, 02:25 AM
I ran into Irv Inniger today. Asked him if waliker's proposal for a new basketball arena adjacent to the FFD was a possibility. He said not just a possibility but pretty much a done deal. He said a lot of fund raising was already being done and was very excited about the project.

Anyone else have any thoughts, insights??

Hammersmith
12-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Wow, I can't believe how fast this has all happened. Very cool, though. I hope it's finished by the 2008-09 season. It's a long shot, but wouldn't it be a great way to send off the seniors?

Sort of off topic, but I wonder how the new arena would/will affect tailgating. If I was the city, I'd close off Albrecht and put in a new road about where the treeline is.

BisonSig
12-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Sort of off topic, but I wonder how the new arena would/will affect tailgating. If I was the city, I'd close off Albrecht and put in a new road about where the treeline is.

Thank god you said that... I thought I would be the only one concerned about losing the tailgating area!!! :D :D :D

Bisonguy
12-12-2006, 03:25 AM

Thank god you said that... I thought I would be the only one concerned about losing the tailgating area!!! *:D :D :D

They've already mentioned paving the area west of the shelterbelt on the west side for additional parking, tailgating, etc. , if the arena is built.

Either that, or they could give us the ENTIRE East side!!!

kchats
12-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Does that mean Irv isn't retiring? I mean the $8 million raised for the BSA will still go to the BSA so all new money for this arena.

Bisonguy
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Does that mean Irv isn't retiring? *I mean the $8 million raised for the BSA will still go to the BSA so all new money for this arena.

IIRC ~$2MM of the $8MM was for upgrading the basketball portion of the BSA.

imabison
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM

I have heard that the new arena is actually probably going South of the FFD, and be connected to the BSA by Skyway.

They will still need to do some additional parking to make up for what is lost.

99Bison
12-12-2006, 07:49 AM

I have heard that the new arena is actually probably going South of the FFD, and be connected to the BSA by Skyway.

That would be cool... Could create a nice atmosphere in that area if it's architected right... Along with not having to go outside between buildings, nice!

Gully
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM
I haven't heard anything new out of the city for quite some time. I wonder what is happening behind the scenes?

NDSUguy
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Where did you hear that? From everything that i've read the plans are for the arena to be to the west side of the FFD where the parking lot currently is.

IowaBisonToo
12-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Thank god you said that... I thought I would be the only one concerned about losing the tailgating area!!! *:D :D :D

They've already mentioned paving the area west of the shelterbelt on the west side for additional parking, tailgating, etc. , if the arena is built.

Either that, or they could give us the ENTIRE East side!!!
Would that even be possible? I guess it's been a bit since I've been back but, what about the tech park? How much land do they have reserved for that? I know RP2 and the new hotel are getting close to the tree line but, can there be a street between them? Something for a city engineer to answer.

I don't think they even necessarily need a street on the West side of the 'Dome. There are plenty of other streets around there people can navigate.

Bison_Dan
12-12-2006, 02:31 PM

That would be so COOL!

RedRiver
12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I haven't heard anything new out of the city for quite some time. *I wonder what is happening behind the scenes?

I don't believe that it is a done deal, and in fact emails of support for the project should be sent to the Fargo City Commissioners. Let them know that you support this project and that you would like to see a basketball only type arena that would compliment the FargoDome.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-12-2006, 03:44 PM

That would be so COOL!

I thought I'd heard that the arena was going to be on the West side of the arena to tie in with the mechanics of the Fargo Dome which would be most cost-efficient way to do that. Just what I heard, don't know how accurate it is. The idea of an arena on the South side of the FFD that would tie-in to the BSA by skyway is very intriguing and would be awesome. I think there would have to be fairly significant modifications made to the BSA for a skyway to be practical, but hey, if we are going to remodel the BSA anyway we could just work that into the dea.

NDSUguy
12-12-2006, 03:55 PM

That would be so COOL!

I thought I'd heard that the arena was going to be on the West side of the arena to tie in with the mechanics of the Fargo Dome which would be most cost-efficient way to do that. *Just what I heard, don't know how accurate it is. *The idea of an arena on the South side of the FFD that would tie-in to the BSA by skyway is very intriguing and would be awesome. *I think there would have to be fairly significant modifications made to the BSA for a skyway to be practical, but hey, if we are going to remodel the BSA anyway we could just work that into the dea.

I think that there are MANY problems with having a skyway from the BSA to the new arena. First off is that most people walk through the first floor of the BSA. Few go to the second floor (which is where a skyway would likely have to be connected). So instead of walking across the street we would walk upstairs just so that we can not be outside for 30 yards???????? Also, the BSA is not directly behind the FFD which is where the arena would have to be located. That means that the skyway would have to run diagonal across the street....

Also, with the people in Fargo always up in arms about parking I doubt that many would be happy to see several hundred parking spots disappear.

Hammersmith
12-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't buy a southside Fargodome arena with a BSA skyway; the geography doesn't fit. I think the skyway would end up being far too long. Here's a campus map to show the problems. BTW, the map shows a westside pair of parkinglots that are proposed but were never paved. I'd like to see a new street put in in the median between the current west lots and the future west lots next to the research buildings. You could then remove the current 19th Ave access and square-up the northwest lot.

http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/maps/2005.CampusMap.pdf

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9297/arenazu8.jpg

Red is just a guess for what the arena would be. I assume something like that.

Yellow is a guess for where parking could go.

You could have a road going where all those trees are. That might piss some people off.

Or you could have a road next to the hotel, and research buildings. But there's already 18th st. connecting 12th Av N and 19th Av N literally 1000 feet from where that road would be. Might not be necessary.

DIBISON
12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I haven't heard anything new out of the city for quite some time. *I wonder what is happening behind the scenes?

I don't believe that it is a done deal, and in fact emails of support for the project should be sent to the Fargo City Commissioners. *Let them know that you support this project and that you would like to see a basketball only type arena that would compliment the FargoDome.

Don't take it for granted, as you know there are alot of people who are opposed to using the tax for an arena, that are also talking to the commissioners. Let them know about your support!!

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
I can understand that UND alumni living in Fargo still support UND. That's fine with me.

What I don't understand is those same alumni trying to sabotage any and all efforts for NDSU to advance themselves using city money. Why would they do that?

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I mean the $8 million raised for the BSA will still go to the BSA so all new money for this arena.

Your information is incorrect.

It would be impossible to build this arena without using all 8 million of the BSA money as the extra half cent taxes is only around 15 million.

tony
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I mean the $8 million raised for the BSA will still go to the BSA so all new money for this arena.

It would be impossible to build this arena without using all 8 million of the BSA money as the extra half cent taxes is only around 15 million.

What is your source for saying that his information is incorrect? I could see the money earmarked for improving BB seating going to the new place but not the whole $8 million - the BSA needs repairs and maintenance.

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 06:03 PM
My source is math.

30 million (hopefully not more, but wouldn't be surprised) - 15 million (again, hopefully) = 15 million needed.

I'm not saying the BSA doesn't need repairs.

What I am saying is are the cost of those repairs worth it? Is it possible that the facilities to be repaired/upgraded at the BSA could be built at the new arena site cheaper?

Bison_Dan
12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't buy a southside Fargodome arena with a BSA skyway; the geography doesn't fit. I think the skyway would end up being far too long. Here's a campus map to show the problems. BTW, the map shows a westside pair of parkinglots that are proposed but were never paved. I'd like to see a new street put in in the median between the current west lots and the future west lots next to the research buildings. You could then remove the current 19th Ave access and square-up the northwest lot.

http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/maps/2005.CampusMap.pdf

Looks like it would fix okay on the south side. In fact it's probably the best place for it.

Bison_Dan
12-12-2006, 06:05 PM
My source is math.

30 million (hopefully not more, but wouldn't be surprised) - 15 million (again, hopefully) = 15 million needed.

It could be all new monies. ;D

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
It could be all new monies. ;D

That is possible. I'd be surprised that we hadn't heard of 15 million new dollars coming in from no where.

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Looks like it would fix okay on the south side. In fact it's probably the best place for it.

If you don't build it next to the Fargodome, sharing the Dome's mechanical equipment, the price for the arena goes up exponentially.

It will be west of the Dome. I think that much is guaranteed.

Hammersmith
12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
It could be all new monies. * ;D

That is possible. I'd be surprised that we hadn't heard of 15 million new dollars coming in from no where.

I do think it will be new monies. The reason we have not heard anything may be because of the speed at which all this has moved. This proposal from the city has probably started a new wave of fundraising; one that is still in its developmental stages. We may not find out more about it for several weeks or months. Remember that the Momentum drive was active for a year before it was announced publicly.

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Interesting.

If that were case, I'd have no problem keeping the money for the BSA that didn't involve the basketball program tied to the BSA.

I still think the basketball offices, meeting rooms, and lockers should be at the new arena like football at the Dome.

roadwarrior
12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Two things have to happen in city government for this project to happen: first, it needs to be approved by the Fargodome Authority, then by the Fargo City Commission. From what I have read, a majority of both groups are in favor of the proposal, but it sure wouldn't hurt to let them know of your support if you are a Fargo resident.

A committee was already set up by the dome authority to look into the project. That would probably include some preliminary talking to architects and/or engineers. I doubt any conclusions of which side of the dome this arena would be built have been made at this point. What people are hearing are ideas being thrown out for discussion.

That land west of the tree line and over to the Tech Park buildings is land leased to the Fargodome, so they are free to use that land as needed. With the completion of 18th st with the lights at 19th ave, the need for Albrecht Blvd to extend to 19th ave has been mostly eliminated. There is very little traffic on that portion of the street now. It could be used as dome parking lot access only if the basketball arena would be built west of the dome.

There could be a lot going on behind the scenes as mentioned above. There is not going to be too many public updates until they have something concrete to tell people. From the standpoint of the dome, having the additional arena would greatly help them attract different types of events to the dome, thereby making it more likely they can continue to operate in the black. From the standpoint of NDSU, a 50/50 partnership would result in the school being able to secure a new basketball arena which might not be possible if going alone.

NDSUFREAK10
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
As long as we get more than 3 consessions....i'll be alright. ;)
oh, and 8k seats.

mikelsch
12-13-2006, 04:02 PM

The $8 million raised for the BSA is going to the BSA -- some people still don't understand that the BSA MUST be renovated. It is needed as a training facility for all sports, office complex, and event venue for track/field, wrestling, etc.

Projected new arena costs will be roughly $45 million: $15 million from city, $15 million from NDSU via donors, $15 million from corporate sponsors (naming rights, etc).

Any details regarding the BSA and new arena won't be made public until most of the specifics are worked out.

2006gwfcchamps
12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Not saying the BSA doesn't need to be renovated.

I'd be very surprised that 15 million new dollars from donors just popped up when it took us NDSU this long to raise the first 8 million.

15 million for naming rights? Come on now.

As I already said, I don't mind the money going to the BSA.

But lets get the new arena done!

Come hook or crook.

Hammersmith
12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
This is something I've been wondering about:

When NDSU plans a building or renovation, it must have all the money in hand before construction can proceed. State law or something. I wonder if that's the case with the proposed arena. I'll bet that since the city is the entity doing the construction, the project can begin before NDSU has its full share raised. As long as NDSU has made acceptable progress towards a goal and has a plan for the rest, I bet the construction could begin before NDSU has raised the total $15M.

IowaBison
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
NDSU would need bonding permission from the state.

I don't know if they'd get an okay for $15 million, that's a pretty big chunk of cash.

I'd like to see Tharaldson show up with $15 million to be the third party..........

Hammersmith
12-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of $5M in hand, $5M promised by donors but not yet in hand, and another $5M left to raise over 3-5 years. I don't know, maybe that wouldn't work.

IowaBison
12-13-2006, 05:41 PM
as long as they can convince the legislature.....

Hammersmith
12-13-2006, 05:43 PM
as long as they can convince the legislature.....
What if it's all done between the city and the NDSU Development Foundation? Could that get around the legislature?

BisBison
12-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't think the legislators will have one thing to say about this except to say no state funds will be used(surprise surprise). This would be a city-owned property on NDSU land. The city and NDSU can come to whatever ageement they can without any help/interference from the state gov't. If they provide no funding they have no say in the final product.

imabison
12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't think the legislators will have one thing to say about this except to say no state funds will be used(surprise surprise). This would be a city-owned property on NDSU land. The city and NDSU can come to whatever ageement they can without any help/interference from the state gov't. If they provide no funding they have no say in the final product.

BUT all those state legislators from the school up north MAY try to find a way to disrupt the process, because it will effect future status of the Alerus , and the Ralph.

drewaely
12-13-2006, 07:01 PM

BUT all those state legislators from the school up north MAY try to find a way to disrupt the process, because it will effect future status of the Alerus , and the Ralph. *

I'm pretty sure that the legistlators won't care one way or another. It doesn't have any effect on the state so as long as NDSU and Fargo can get their ducks in a row things should be GOOD TO GO!

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Maybe some of the money for the BSA could be spent on the new arena, but I'd prefer not. BSA desperately, desperately needs renovation. Take care of that, plan with the city, and then knock out a new arena.

2006gwfcchamps
12-13-2006, 11:09 PM
No, no, NO!

Jeff, the BSA will get done.

I promise you.

After a new bball arena, what else is there?

All focus will be on the BSA.

Get the arena knocked out FIRST!

Basketball is quickly becoming one of the signature sports for NDSU. We need to give them priority over the non revenue sports for the moment. They've been waiting patiently for NDSU to do something about that pathetic white breadbox and now it's time to cash in.

2006gwfcchamps
12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
BUT all those state legislators from the school up north MAY try to find a way to disrupt the process, because it will effect future status of the Alerus , and the Ralph.

If the arena won't use any state money, I don't see what possible leg any argument they have could stand on.

This is business within the city of Fargo and that's that. Anyone on the outside is free to watch...from the outside.

The thing I'd be worried about is UND alumni who are on the inside.

kchats
12-14-2006, 03:37 AM
The BSA plans are currently being developed. The renovation has been approved by the state as required. I wouldn't be surprised if the basketball arena is included in the renovations either as a main arena or fall back arena. If it is true that only $2 million goes to the basketball arena why not still do that because it improves the whole arena and gives NDSU a place to play if the new arena (If it goes through) is occupied. Getting the BSA renovated helps with recruiting now since construction can start on it now and it also helps with the fans viewing comfort by providing an updated arena sooner while the new arena fund raising and construction happens.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Just sat down and thought this through, and while I think that remodeling the BSA should be the priority, maybe from a practical standpoint it would make sense to build the new arena first. That way we have additional gym space to use for practices while the BSA is remodeled, whereas if the BSA were started first the teams would all be shuffling around between various parts of the BSA and BBFH. So while I think the BSA should be a priority, it might make sense to knock out the arena first.

2006gwfcchamps
12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
The BSA plans are currently being developed. The renovation has been approved by the state as required. I wouldn't be surprised if the basketball arena is included in the renovations either as a main arena or fall back arena. If it is true that only $2 million goes to the basketball arena why not still do that because it improves the whole arena and gives NDSU a place to play if the new arena (If it goes through) is occupied. Getting the BSA renovated helps with recruiting now since construction can start on it now and it also helps with the fans viewing comfort by providing an updated arena sooner while the new arena fund raising and construction happens.

If you were right about everything, then I would say this makes sense.

But here's what you're wrong about:

- 2 million dollars will not do anything for the BSA bball arena. To make that thing a true DI arena you'd need to do so many things that you'd basically have to scrap the whole place and start over. That would cost a lot more than even 45 million.

- There is no such thing as if the arena is occupied. NDSU basketball gets scheduling priority over all other events. Would you expect the Fargodome to be hosting an event on a Saturday of an NDSU football home game? Of course not. But what you're saying is essentially the same thing as saying we should renovate Dacotah field in case the Fargodome is occupied.

- Putting 2 million into the BSA doesn't help recruiting in the slightest. The only thing that helps recruiting is getting recruits as far away from the BSA as humanly possible. If they could put a huge tarp over it when they come for their campus visits, that would be the best.

- If this arena is going to be completed for the 2008-09 school year, then construction will be starting in 2007. There is no way the BSA construction would happen any earlier than that.

2006gwfcchamps
12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
So while I think the BSA should be a priority, it might make sense to knock out the arena first.

That a boy!

I promise you the BSA will get some money. Let's just get this arena done! You never know when opportunities like this will come. They don't happen often!

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Also, if the BSA gets remodeled there is the possibility of the "well, the BSA got a facelift so do we really need a new arena?" mentality setting in amongst the administration. On the other hand, if they build a new arena it will still be obvious to all involved that the BSA needs some work. I am officially flip-flopping and advocating building the new arena first and then upgrading the BSA. By the way, when does construction start on the Wellness Center expansion? I haven't been up there for almost a year, so I'm totally out of the loop on that.

IowaBison
12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
?

they're almost finished.

2006gwfcchamps
12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the exterior is almost complete. No idea what the inside looks like.

insane_ponderer
12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Everything you need to know and more. And for the record, it is as huge in real life as it looks on paper.

http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/expansion/index.shtml

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-14-2006, 04:38 PM
They must have been under way the last couple times I was up there and I just spaced out or forgot about it. Once that is completed it should take some stress off of scheduling at the BSA, which will be nice for teams that have those wonderful 6am practices.

IowaBison
12-14-2006, 05:28 PM
the wellness center is for students, not student-athletes. i doubt they'll hold officially sanctioned practices there.

bisonpride2k
12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
The quicker we can get basketball into a new arena the better it will be for all sports. Now the big question will be practices and use of the facility. Obviously they will have scheduling priority but what sort of practice scheduling will take place in the new arena or are we reliant on the BSA for practices (which would not be good). For the sake of all the sports, including basketball, the current BSA floor needs to become exclusive for track, baseball, softball, soccer practices, etc... 1- because of the large space that we do have available it kills those sports practices to have the wooden floor in place and 2- because the basketball teams should be able to practice on wood at all times instead of running some things on the game wood floor and some things on the side tartan court next to it.

If we are smart, plan properly for EVERYONE, and do things right in this process instead of being narrow minded with the focus of whats going on we can be set with some fabulous facilities, game and practice for several years to come.

bisonpride2k
12-14-2006, 05:42 PM
the wellness center is for students, not student-athletes. *i doubt they'll hold officially sanctioned practices there.

He is not talking about holding practices there but being able to get the 2 hour+ open rec use of the BSA and intermerals into the new facility which would open up more, and better practice times for everyone.

roadwarrior
12-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Basketball practice floors are in the plans to be added to the BSA. In a new addition to the building.

SDbison
12-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Everything you need to know and more. *And for the record, it is as huge in real life as it looks on paper.

http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/expansion/index.shtml
Pictures of the work in progress on the Wellness Center expansion can be viewed at this website:
http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/expansion/update.shtml

2006gwfcchamps
12-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Basketball practice floors are in the plans to be added to the BSA. *In a new addition to the building.

Does it not make sense to build a practice facility as part of the new arena?

That way, both basketball teams could have their locker rooms for practice and games at the new arena as well as offices.

I want YOUR opinion.

Not what Gene Taylor and Joe Chapman told you at lunch today, Mr. Matter-of-Fact.

2006gwfcchamps
12-14-2006, 08:35 PM
For the sake of all the sports, including basketball, the current BSA floor needs to become exclusive for track, baseball, softball, soccer practices, etc... 1- because of the large space that we do have available it kills those sports practices to have the wooden floor in place and 2- because the basketball teams should be able to practice on wood at all times instead of running some things on the game wood floor and some things on the side tartan court next to it.

That's why I think the bball teams need their own practice facility at the new arena and the field teams (football, baseball, softball, and soccer) need a new indoor practice facility.

Then the BSA floor could be used for indoor track.

bisonpride2k
12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
For the sake of all the sports, including basketball, the current BSA floor needs to become exclusive for track, baseball, softball, soccer practices, etc... 1- because of the large space that we do have available it kills those sports practices to have the wooden floor in place and 2- because the basketball teams should be able to practice on wood at all times instead of running some things on the game wood floor and some things on the side tartan court next to it.

That's why I think the bball teams need their own practice facility at the new arena and the field teams (football, baseball, softball, and soccer) need a new indoor practice facility.

Then the BSA floor could be used for indoor track.

Idealy that would be nice but there is no funding to build an entirely new facility at this time besides a new basketball arena. If basketball is out of the BSA then track, baseball, softball, and soccer can definately use the space well together with out having hoops and scoreboards in the road like now.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
the wellness center is for students, not student-athletes. *i doubt they'll hold officially sanctioned practices there.

He is not talking about holding practices there but being able to get the 2 hour+ open rec use of the BSA and intermerals into the new facility which would open up more, and better practice times for everyone.

This is the point I was driving at, so sorry for any confusion. I agree that the likelihood of teams practicing at the Wellness center is pretty small, but the opening up of BSA space from open rec time will make scheduling practices a lot easier.

IowaBison
12-14-2006, 09:38 PM
so you think they are going to cancel open rec time at the BSA?

don't know if i see that, after all the students helped pay the building's construction.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Open rec will not be canceled. It will be at the Wellness center or at least reduced, so that for example when Amy Ruley can't manage a practice correctly, runs over and baseball starts practice an hour late, they won't get kicked out half way through practice by open rec.

2006gwfcchamps
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
so you think they are going to cancel open rec time at the BSA?

don't know if i see that, after all the students helped pay the building's construction.

Would a citizen of Fargo go to the dome authority and expect to be able to use the Fargodome for their child's birthday party just because the people of Fargo paid for the venue to be built?

Once the Wellness center is done, the BSA needs to be for athletes and athletes only.

2006gwfcchamps
12-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Idealy that would be nice but there is no funding to build an entirely new facility at this time besides a new basketball arena. If basketball is out of the BSA then track, baseball, softball, and soccer can definately use the space well together with out having hoops and scoreboards in the road like now.

Well I'm hoping that some money for the new arena will be earmarked for an adjacent bball practice facility.

Now would be the cheapest time to build it too, when the initial construction is ongoing. Not 5 years from now when everyone goes "gee, we should've build a bball practice facility next to the arena".

Hopefully in the next 10 years an indoor field facility can be built as well. It's a shame that the Dome itself can't be it, but as we all know it's a city facility that NDSU rents.

I'd love for them to put a shell over Dacotah field with new turf. Heck, even a bubble would do.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-15-2006, 01:02 AM
As nice as a bubble would be (Eden Prairie HS has one and boy is it nice) I think that we can wait on that. BSA and a new arena are definitely priorities and I think that once those are done we can look to other improvements. It would be real nice though, especially for football, baseball and softball.

Gully
12-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Lots of interesting discussion. I sure hope there's a lot going on behind the scenes and that this is close to a reality. An announcement like this along with the Gateway would be huge before recruiting season. Yes, I know this arena wouldn't impact football directly but it would just add to the positive buzz about NDSU.

IowaBison
12-15-2006, 03:07 AM
Once the Wellness center is done, the BSA needs to be for athletes and athletes only.

Why? Because you say so?

The students were basically run out of the BSA even though they paid for the lionshare of construction. I think the AD should right the students a check.

Hammersmith
12-15-2006, 03:32 AM

Why? *Because you say so?

The students were basically run out of the BSA even though they paid for the lionshare of construction. *I think the AD should right the students a check.
Please tell me how many current students paid even one dollar to build the BSA. Even better, tell me how many current students were even born when those dollars were collected. Save for the swimming pool, the new Wellness Center replaces everything the BSA did for the general student body and then some. Let the athletes make the most use out of the BSA and let the student body have the Wellness Center to themselves.

Also, why do the basketball practice courts need to be at the new arena? If they are in the BSA, they'll be in the same building as the strength training equipment and all the other support facilities. That would seem to be a more efficient setup. Personally, I say put them wherever is cheaper. It's not like 100 yards is going to make that much of a difference.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Bottom line: a remodeled BSA, a new basketball arena, the FargoDome, Newman Outdoor and the expanded Wellness Center would certainly give NDSU a world-class set of athletic facilities and facilities rivaled by few if any 1-AA schools.

IowaBison
12-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Please tell me how many current students paid even one dollar to build the BSA. Even better, tell me how many current students were even born when those dollars were collected. Save for the swimming pool, the new Wellness Center replaces everything the BSA did for the general student body and then some.

Well that's a hell ova standard, Hammersmith. Do you see NDSU taking over the Memorial Union and not allowing students to use it? I mean it was bought in paid for a number of times, but most students who have made use of it didn't pay dollar one.

(You're argument would make sense if the Athletic Department paid for the new Wellness Center. But that certainly isn't the case.)

Heck, I was a student who paid for the Wellness center and never used it as a student as it was a hole in the ground when I left. Now I pay $20/month to walk into that place. How is that fair?

kchats
12-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Last time I checked the money was raised to start the plans for renovating the BSA. Architects have been hired and they are currently drawing up plans for review. The State has approved the project and it should start sometime next spring or summer.

Where exactly are the plans for this new arena? What about the money for the new arena? Before you all throw the renovations for the BSA away on a new arena that is merely an idea you better be sure it is more concrete. The BSA will happen because the money is there and the plans are under way. The new arena is still an idea in its infant stages that is a long ways off. No way do they start construction on an additional arena this summer when they haven't even raised the money.

Hammersmith
12-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Please tell me how many current students paid even one dollar to build the BSA. Even better, tell me how many current students were even born when those dollars were collected. Save for the swimming pool, the new Wellness Center replaces everything the BSA did for the general student body and then some.

Well that's a hell ova standard, Hammersmith. *Do you see NDSU taking over the Memorial Union and not allowing students to use it? *I mean it was bought in paid for a number of times, but most students who have made use of it didn't pay dollar one.

(You're argument would make sense if the Athletic Department paid for the new Wellness Center. *But that certainly isn't the case.)

Heck, I was a student who paid for the Wellness center and never used it as a student as it was a hole in the ground when I left. *Now I pay $20/month to walk into that place. *How is that fair?

Unless the current students are paying for it, I don't see why they should have an absolute right to always use it, forever and ever. The student body, as a whole, has gotten their money's worth out of the BSA during the last three and a half decades. The university needs to have the ability to repurpose buildings to benefit the school. If there wasn't a replacement available, I could see your case, but with the expanded Wellness Center opening next year, I don't think your argument holds water.

NDSUstudent
12-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Last time I checked the money was raised to start the plans for renovating the BSA. *Architects have been hired and they are currently drawing up plans for review. *The State has approved the project and it should start sometime next spring or summer.

Where exactly are the plans for this new arena? *What about the money for the new arena? *Before you all throw the renovations for the BSA away on a new arena that is merely an idea you better be sure it is more concrete. *The BSA will happen because the money is there and the plans are under way. *The new arena is still an idea in its infant stages that is a long ways off. *No way do they start construction on an additional arena this summer when they haven't even raised the money.

I think this arena has become reality and whatever plans where made for BSA are more then likely going to need to be revised since all the bells and wistles for basketball won't be needed and shouldn't be included. I also think basketball was the issue pushing the BSA renovation since they were the team that had to call that dump home. The BSA will still need to be fixed or replaced but with the pressure off needing to give Tim and Amy a much needed facility boost the school could look at the best long term options. Maybe start a campaign that would raise 10-15 million and would provide NDSU with a top of the line facility that meet the schools needs for the long term.

In the meantime that 8 million can be put with the 15 million from the city and the school will be well on its way to raising the needed money, they could probably hire an architect now if they really wanted to get the ball rolling. With 23 million in the bank and some drawings of the arena I bet NDSU would raise the rest of the 7 million it needs in under a year. With all the interest in the basketball program right now a new arena is something you could sell to donars as being something that will continue the upward momentum of NDSU basketball and put it at a level where beating Top 25 teams will always be a yearly occasion. The time to build a new arena is now becuase the fire is hot, you wait around and who knows what could happen.

As progressive as the Administration has been I bet they see things the same way and probably put the new arena as the priority right now. But then again who knows maybe a bunch of donars have come forward and everything can get done quickly. I hope thats the case but for now in my opinion the basketball program has been long overdue for a home they can call their own and something that is a real DI basketball facility. Not some giant mutli-purpose big white box that is shared by other teams and students. Just look at the facilities that sports like baseball and football have to call their own at NDSU and I think its about time basketball gets something similar.

tony
12-15-2006, 05:33 AM
A little history of the BSA:

http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/archives/ndsubuildings/Bison/history.html

IowaBison
12-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Unless the current students are paying for it, I don't see why they should have an absolute right to always use it, forever and ever. The student body, as a whole, has gotten their money's worth out of the BSA during the last three and a half decades. The university needs to have the ability to repurpose buildings to benefit the school. If there wasn't a replacement available, I could see your case, but with the expanded Wellness Center opening next year, I don't think your argument holds water.

interesting.

so if you when you decide to move from your house that you lived in for 30 years (let's say you inherited it as well) to something new do you think it's ok for someone else to take it lock, stock, and barrel?

I mean you didn't pay for it. You've gotten good use out of it........

???

tony
12-15-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm not pretending to understand this ongoing side argument about the BSA usage but I can tell you one thing: The BSA was almost entirely paid for by state and federal funds - it was not a student activity fee deal. But it doesn't matter: Who the heck said anything about keeping students from using the BSA anyway? And what does the BSA offer that the Wellness Center doesn't have anyway?

Edit: now I look back and see who started this argument and am not surprised one bit.

bisonaudit
12-15-2006, 03:08 PM
The student body voted to build the wellness center because the shared space at the BSA was not working for the students, not because it wasn't working for the athletic department. It was too far away, didn't have the right equipment or spaces for the general student body, and as a result was under utilized any ill suited to the needs of the average student. I voted to pay for a facility I knew we'd never use because I felt it was the best thing to do for future students, to have one facility to address the specific needs of the students and another for the athletes.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Well said. The completion of the expanded wellness center will provide a facility that will serve student needs better than the BSA and serve the dual purpose of opening up the BSA for more athletics activity.

roper
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Exactly, once the wellness center is opened there isn't a student who is going to miss the BSA. State of the art, vs. tin shed.

As a side note, when I enrolled in college in the early 1990s NDSU or UND were nowhere near the top of my list of schools, and the primary reason is that there didn't seem to be any improvements going on at either compuses. You couldn't tell if it was 1990 or 1970 by looking at the facilities. Now, I'm excited to see what these schools will look like in 14 years, when my sons will be looking at colleges.

I know allumni at either school hate to admit it, but we are fortunate to have two world class universities in our great state. More and more kids will be sticking around, and that is GREAT!!

Kudos to both schools!!

Hammersmith
12-15-2006, 08:21 PM
The student body voted to build the wellness center because the shared space at the BSA was not working for the students, not because it wasn't working for the athletic department. *It was too far away, didn't have the right equipment or spaces for the general student body, and as a result was under utilized any ill suited to the needs of the average student. *I voted to pay for a facility I knew we'd never use because I felt it was the best thing to do for future students, to have one facility to address the specific needs of the students and another for the athletes.
Very well put.

To NDBison:
A well-used public building like the BSA has a 25-35 year lifespan before replacement or major renovations are required. The students at the time(I am also one of them) decided that a new facility was better than a renovation of the BSA. If the athletic department decides to spend the money to refurbish it, they can have it. I've paid my share to build the Wellness Center and I've never walked through the door of the place. If students 30 years from now decide to renovate the Wellness Center, they get first dibs on the building. If the future students decide to pay for a new facility, I will have absolutely no problems with the university taking over the old one and paying to renovate it for a new purpose.

IowaBison
12-15-2006, 09:12 PM
hammersmith, do you speak for all students (current or former) or just yourself?

My point is that students have a right to have access to that building, I think that's a pretty tough thing to argue against.

2006gwfcchamps
12-15-2006, 10:22 PM
My point is that students have a right to have access to that building, I think that's a pretty tough thing to argue against.

I'll give it a shot.

Does any citizen of Fargo have the right to access and use the Fargodome as he sees fit? Hell, if I were a citizen of Fargo and this was true, I'd be lining up time for my child's birthday. What a treat that would be for them.

But obviously no, they don't have this right.

What's the difference?

2006gwfcchamps
12-15-2006, 10:23 PM
we are fortunate to have two world class universities in our great state. More and more kids will be sticking around, and that is GREAT!!

That and the Red River Valley Research Corridor!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... ++!

IowaBison
12-16-2006, 04:08 AM
I'll give it a shot.

Does any citizen of Fargo have the right to access and use the Fargodome as he sees fit? Hell, if I were a citizen of Fargo and this was true, I'd be lining up time for my child's birthday. What a treat that would be for them.

But obviously no, they don't have this right.

What's the difference?

What's the difference?

A whole hell of a lot.

I'll only give one reason though. At no time was your child or any other allowed to have his or her birthday party there. Students have and are given access to the BSA.

Analogy busted.

2006gwfcchamps
12-16-2006, 04:17 AM
Students have and are given access to the BSA.

Well, not anymore.

IowaBison
12-16-2006, 04:17 AM
as of when?

bisonpride2k
12-16-2006, 06:39 AM
First off why would anyone want to use the BSA when they could use the new track, new wood basketball floors instead of the old tartan, etc... in the new Wellness Center. Once that opens no one will be using the BSA as far as students. That isnt by force necesarily but by choice.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-16-2006, 02:58 PM
That surface in the BSA is absolutely brutal. *I was running in there once, got tripped up by a teammate and messed up my ankle, and the trainer's #1 concern wasn't my ankle, it was the halacious bloody floor burns I had all over my hands and knees. *I hope the remodel gets rid of that crap.

2006gwfcchamps
12-16-2006, 03:09 PM
It's probably good for track spikes and that's about it.

2006gwfcchamps
12-16-2006, 03:10 PM
NDB,

I understand students used to be able to go to the BSA. Fine.

You understand that things change, right? And that change is good sometimes?

I mean, you were ok with NDSU changing to division I, right?

What's that big deal? No student is going to hike all the way over to the BSA anyway when they can use the brand new Wellness Center facilities.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-16-2006, 10:55 PM
It's probably good for track spikes and that's about it.

The track surface itself is a little rougher than the rest of it so it probably is better for track spikes, but the problem is that the surface itself is hell on the athletes who have to train on it. *It causes shin splints like you wouldn't believe and if you are ever in the training room after track practice, it looks like an absolute MASH unit. *I seriously hope they tear that crap out when they re-do the place.

RedRiver
12-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Dome Authority may hire an architect to develop design and cost estimate for the multipurpose arena.

http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/149958

tony
12-19-2006, 04:49 PM

The $8 million raised for the BSA is going to the BSA -- some people still don't understand that the BSA MUST be renovated. *It is needed as a training facility for all sports, office complex, and event venue for track/field, wrestling, etc.

Projected new arena costs will be roughly $45 million: $15 million from city, $15 million from NDSU via donors, $15 million from corporate sponsors (naming rights, etc). *

Any details regarding the BSA and new arena won't be made public until most of the specifics are worked out.

I guess we know that when Greenie says something we should listen - he was spot on with this! Nice job and thanks for the early information.

DIBISON
12-20-2006, 11:52 PM
WDAY TV sports had a report tonight about the new basketball arena.

Gene Taylor stated that NDSU is not yet fully behind the project because nobody knows for sure the amount of funding that will be available from the excess city sales tax. If the City has $15 million available for the project there would be interest from NDSU, but if there is only $3 million available and NDSU has to raise the rest of the money, there won't be a project.

Also, Gene said that the door is still open for the Ace Brandt southside arena, but SU prefers to have a new arena on campus.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-21-2006, 12:26 AM
They need to keep the new arena on campus. Moving it off campus would kill attendance, especially from students.

NDSUFREAK10
12-21-2006, 02:16 AM
College sports belong on campus. It didn't and doesn't seem right to have the gophers play in the metrodome. The college atmosphere is what makes a game explode.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Couldn't agree more heartily.

DORMIE
12-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Bottom line is that a Multi-purpose facility used for Bison basketball located next to the Dome would enhance it, not compete with it as a facility like it would if it were to be put at the south end of Fargo. It would compliment the Dome on larger venues or could be used for smaller venues. We do not need the problem that they have in GF with the Ralph and the Alerus competing for everything just to survive.

2006gwfcchamps
12-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Would UND ever drop football?

There's no doubt that hockey will always be the most popular sport in Grand Forks and at UND. They have their Taj Mahal in the Engelstad complex. No one can compete with that. And it's on campus.

And basketball can certainly use that when they need and also the other smaller Engelstad arena.

The Alerus, on the other hand, is off campus, and it seems like fan support for football doesn't offset the cost of going DI. I mean 5000 for a playoff game?

IowaBison
12-22-2006, 05:30 PM
They have a great football program up there, one which should see success in the future.

If their program was horrible AND football was a winter sport, I could see it.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Despite the fact that most of us on this board believe the administration at UND is/was lacking somewhat in foresight, they would never be stupid enough to drop football. They are a very good D-II program that goes to the playoffs regularly and does/could make money, so I don't think they would ever drop it.

kchats
12-23-2006, 02:32 AM
WDAY TV sports had a report tonight about the new basketball arena. *

Gene Taylor stated that NDSU is not yet fully behind the project because nobody knows for sure the amount of funding that will be available from the excess city sales tax. *If the City has $15 million available for the project there would be interest from NDSU, but if there is only $3 million available and NDSU has to raise the rest of the money, there won't be a project. *

Also, Gene said that the door is still open for the Ace Brandt southside arena, but SU prefers to have a new arena on campus.

All the more reason to continue with the renovation of the BSA, including the basketball arena. If NDSU makes the mistake of not renovating with the thoughts of using the BSA for basketball the new arena will fall through and NDSU will be up the creek.

Gene is smart to let them know that NDSU will just do what they have the money for and play in the BSA. Make sure the Fargo Dome and the City put up their money before signing on.

2006gwfcchamps
12-23-2006, 05:43 AM
I say put the money into the BSA that isn't for the basketball part. Leave that the way it is.

Then if the arena falls through (which it won't) then renovate the BSA all the way.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Renovate in full including the basketball setup. We are fixing the place might as well upgrade the whole thing and go from there.

2006gwfcchamps
12-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Renovate in full including the basketball setup. We are fixing the place might as well upgrade the whole thing and go from there.

We'll see how the arena situation looks first.

If it doesn't look good, then do the whole thing.

If it does look good, don't waste that kind of money. Please.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-23-2006, 03:26 PM
I would argue that it isn't "wasting" the money, but I understand what you mean. Our basketball teams would end up playing in there for at least a couple years and I'm guessing that the basketball portion would not go completely unused. Plus, I'm not sure how it would work to remodel the entire place and not do anything to the basketball portion. I think when they do the remodel it makes sense to go ahead and do the whole thing so we don't look back on it in 5-10 years and wish we had.

kchats
12-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Especially since the money was raised to renovate the arena. All these Bison fans screaming for building the new arena may as well contact Irv Inniger with the donations so that new pot of money can start. Instead of telling them what you plan on giving go ahead and send the check stating for use in the new basketball arena, that way they can see what the true interest is for giving more money after raising $8 million plus for the renovation of the BSA. ;)

sambini
12-24-2006, 02:27 PM
The BSA needs to be renovated . And I believe the new arena will be built. Mayor Walaker is an avid Bison Basketball fan.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
The university will get a new arena done, and with the BSA renovated at least the team can play in a decent facility until the money can be raised, plans drawn up and the arena actually built.

kchats
12-24-2006, 03:54 PM
The newly renovated BSA basketball arena would end up being a great volleyball arena when the volleyball team grows into a larger arena due to success (2 or 3 years away). Fill up a 7000 seat arena for volleyball. Man that would be great.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-24-2006, 09:36 PM
That is true and I hadn't really even considered that. Also, after the BSA is renovated I'd almost guarantee that there aren't going to be many people who regret the decision to upgrade all the facilities, basketball included.

sambini
12-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Also upgrade the indoor track for my big brother Coach Larson. Who has been the most successful coach no one talks about. And also Coach Godfrey and the Bison women. Ido not see the day when we will sell 7k for volleyball. Volleyball at national champ Nebraska maybe if there arena was that big. Hawaii draws around 10k ? Right Wacker? Those are the top attendance schools for volleyball.

2006gwfcchamps
12-25-2006, 04:04 PM
No school in the contiguous states averages more than 5k for vball. For whatever reason (what do they put in the water?), Hawaii averages 7k. Whatever.

But I doubt NDSU vball will average more than 2k.

I think it would be fine to have vball in the BSA, where their lockers and coaches offices would be.

I think the current seating in there is good enough for that, indoor track, and wrestling. Heck you could take out all the wooden seats and the current chairbacks would be enough for those sports.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Upgrading the indoor track would not only be much appreciated by the track teams but also by the other teams that use it for practices and conditioning. That track seemingly was made with the goal of giving as many people shin-splints as possible. The sooner that surface gets replaced the better.

Ivy
12-26-2006, 04:13 PM
In the BSA, how about making the floor all the same (no different surface for the track) and getting one of those banked tracks for indoor track? *That might be easier to make it multi-purpose.

imabison
12-26-2006, 04:23 PM
In the BSA, how about making the floor all the same (no different surface for the track) and getting one of those banked tracks for indoor track? *That might be easier to make it multi-purpose.

Someone had mentioned a banked track. I wonder how you have a banked track, and still have seating for other events. Does the track just run under the seating?

sambini
12-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Unless you get a banked track like they have at Nebraska. It is hydralic . I think we are set with the type of track we have but with a new surface. Yes it does run under the stands.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-30-2006, 11:48 PM
A new surface is a necessity regardless of how they do it. As much as I know all the athletes hate running on that surface, I feel sorry for the track athletes because of how bad it is. I'm sure the engineers could draw up something to work with additional seating.

bisonranch
01-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Anyone catch the sports show on WDAY from 10-12 this morning? In McFeely's blog he mentioned there would be some discussion about the new arena.

TheDoctor
01-06-2007, 10:45 PM
No school in the contiguous states averages more than 5k for vball. For whatever reason (what do they put in the water?), Hawaii averages 7k. Whatever.

But I doubt NDSU vball will average more than 2k.

I think it would be fine to have vball in the BSA, where their lockers and coaches offices would be.

I think the current seating in there is good enough for that, indoor track, and wrestling. Heck you could take out all the wooden seats and the current chairbacks would be enough for those sports.

Straight from Lynn's mouth, we are not getting rid of volleyball anytime soon. Softball practices will move up to the BSA, but volleyball is in BBFH for a LONG time to come. :-[

2006gwfcchamps
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, as soon as the new basketball practice facility is built (either at the BSA or at the new arena), there should be permanent paint for volleyball on the BBFH floor.

TheDoctor
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Well, as soon as the new basketball practice facility is built (either at the BSA or at the new arena), there should be permanent paint for *volleyball on the BBFH floor.

Neither basketball team practices here ever, so I don't see the relevance. And, I sure hope that is not the plan. Some people forget that is also my classroom. *:-?

2006gwfcchamps
01-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I believe the women's team practices at the BBFH occationally.

If the BBFH is going to be the home of Bison VB, then I want something like this on the floor:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/galleries/tully-gym-081104/TullyGym1-lg.jpg

mikelsch
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM

If the BBFH is going to be the home of Bison VB, then I want something like this on the floor:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/galleries/tully-gym-081104/TullyGym1-lg.jpg

I totally agree --> The BBF could be a lot better with just marking the court and installing retractable chair-back seats like seen at Florida State

IowaBison
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I find the logo on that court hostile and offensive. ::)

TheDoctor
01-10-2007, 05:29 PM

I have never seen them up there. The Men were supposed to come over one afternoon over break, but I don't think they ever showed up. I guess paiting the floor like that would look very nice, but I hope they move volleyball games up to the BSA and paint that floor. They can practice here on the nonpainted floor. I have badminton courts painted in up there, two volleyball courts running east-west and ofcourse the basketball court. While I am sure athletics probably doesn't care, these are necessary for me to teach my classes. :-/

TheDoctor
01-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I find the logo on that court hostile and offensive. * ::)

;D ;D ;D Me too! ;D ;D ;D

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
The BBFH could use a little work, to say the least. Nothing major, just a little sprucing up and the repainting of the floor would be a good start.

2006gwfcchamps
01-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I have never seen them up there. The Men were supposed to come over one afternoon over break, but I don't think they ever showed up. I guess paiting the floor like that would look very nice, but I hope they move volleyball games up to the BSA and paint that floor. They can practice here on the nonpainted floor. I have badminton courts painted in up there, two volleyball courts running east-west and ofcourse the basketball court. While I am sure athletics probably doesn't care, these are necessary for me to teach my classes.

Well I'm in favor of having vball practice up at the BSA too.

They could easily roll a sport court over the basketball floor and have a very nice looking surface with double the cushion.

That would look something like this:

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/venues/pics/volleyball.jpg

TheDoctor
01-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I have never seen them up there. *The Men were supposed to come over one afternoon over break, but I don't think they ever showed up. *I guess paiting the floor like that would look very nice, but I hope they move volleyball games up to the BSA and paint that floor. *They can practice here on the nonpainted floor. *I have badminton courts painted in up there, two volleyball courts running east-west and ofcourse the basketball court. *While I am sure athletics probably doesn't care, these are necessary for me to teach my classes. *

Well I'm in favor of having vball practice up at the BSA too.

They could easily roll a sport court over the basketball floor and have a very nice looking surface with double the cushion.

That would look something like this:

You certainly don't have to convince me! I am in. :)

NDSUstudent
01-16-2007, 06:36 AM
According WDAY news the city has hired an architect to figure out how much the new arena will cost and just what it will look like. Of course the 50k needed to make this happen came with a fight and even one commissioner(Williams) voted against the 50k.

NDSUstudent
01-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Fargo City Commissioner Mike Williams ignited a fiery debate Monday by suggesting excess Fargodome sales tax funds could be used for a “community stewardship fund” instead of a dome expansion.

Williams cast the lone vote against the Fargo Dome Authority’s request to spend up to $50,000 in sales tax funds to hire an architect to create a rough design and cost estimate for an expansion.

A task force is studying Mayor Dennis Walaker’s proposal to add a 7,000- to 8,000-seat multipurpose arena to the dome to host North Dakota State University basketball and other events to ensure the dome stays viable and doesn’t lose money.

But Williams said that’s just one way to use the sales tax funds, and the public hasn’t been asked for its ideas....

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=153133&section=news

tony
01-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Not sure what the debate is about - while they debate whether to build the arena, they sure can't use Dome money for any other purpose but Dome stuff - pretty sure that spending it on "community stewardship projects" would be illegal.

Trimmy
01-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm suprised it took Williams this long.

IowaBison
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Not sure what the debate is about - while they debate whether to build the arena, they sure can't use Dome money for any other purpose but Dome stuff - pretty sure that spending it on "community stewardship projects" would be illegal.

++++

you are right on the money, tony.

3-1509

Dedication of tax proceeds.--In accordance with Article 3P(4) of the Home Rule Charter of the city of Fargo, the revenues raised and collected pursuant to this article, less administrative expenses, are hereby dedicated to the construction, maintenance, and operation of a multi-purpose dome facility to be located on or adjacent to the campus of North Dakota State University to be used as a center for conventions and/or conferences, musical activities, sports activities and such other convention, cultural and sports functions as the dome authority, hereinafter created, may deem appropriate.

http://www.ci.fargo.nd.us/attachments/34e88f44-aa5d-4df2-a43f-9d790a7abe8f/03%20-%20Finances.pdf

shouldn't a city commissioner know this?

TheDoctor
01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm suprised it took Williams this long.

Ofcouse Williams has to be in opposition to the idea. >:( Wimmer proposed the great idea and it is no secret that Williams and Wimmer get along like oil and water. ;D

mikelsch
01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
When is Williams up for re-election?

Trimmy
01-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I thought he was just re-elected in last election, I could be totally wrong though.

2006gwfcchamps
01-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Lets get him out of there.

lakesbison
01-16-2007, 04:55 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does williams think (like most ignorant people) that this money could've been used as a blank check to help with other problems in fargo??

I DONT THINK SO.

If Im paying a tax for the Fargodome, event center, et al..... I want that money SPENT on Fargodome (expansion or not)

imabison
01-16-2007, 05:34 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does williams think (like most ignorant people) that this money could've been used as a blank check to help with other problems in fargo??

I DONT THINK SO.

If Im paying a tax for the Fargodome, event center, et al..... I want that money SPENT on Fargodome (expansion or not)

Consider the facts.

1. Yes it could be brought to a vote of the people such as they did a few years back for the street fund, however that would not apply to exisiting funds. The dome tax expires when? That would really cut down the effect of Mike Williams proposal considering it would be almost a year before it could be put on the ballot.

2. Maybe someone should propose that any and all wages directed to Mike Williams be redirected for his pet project, thats about as legal as his suggestion about the dome money.

TheDoctor
01-16-2007, 06:13 PM
I thought he was just re-elected in last election, I could be totally wrong though.

You are totally wrong. *;D *Just teasing. *Actually Mohoney who won his position last September in a special election and had to get reelected in June. *He beat Wimmer in September by the slimmest of margins. *Because in the June election Cosgriff decided to run for Mayor. there were two seats of which Mahoney and Wimmer won this time. *So making a long story longer, I do know that Williams was NOT just reelected. *BUT I don't know when his 4 year term is up.

RedRiver
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Those in support of the multipurpose arena need to continue to contact the Fargo City Commissioners and let them know that the project is needed and that the excessive sales tax should only be used for this project.

http://www.cityoffargo.com/CityInfo/CityCommission/Members/

Hammersmith
01-16-2007, 06:49 PM
City Commissioners are elected to four-year terms. Linda Coates' and Mike William's seats will be up in June 2008, while Tim Mahoney's and Brad Wimmers' will be up in June 2010. Mayor Walaker's office will also be up in June 2010.

Tatanka
01-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Those in support of the multipurpose arena need to continue to contact the Fargo City Commissioners and let them know that the project is needed and that the excessive sales tax should only be used for this project.

http://www.cityoffargo.com/CityInfo/CityCommission/Members/
Freudian slip? ;D ;D

Hoopster
01-16-2007, 07:48 PM

I'm confused about this whole thread. Wasn't this money intended to be used on your original fargo dome or whatever it is? Wouldn't it then be just as illegal to build another arena as to use it for different projects? Or simply having a walk-way between the two arenas is enough to get around that?

roadwarrior
01-16-2007, 08:04 PM
They have used money for projects already that have expanded the dome. The main entrance on the east side along with the meeting rooms above and the basement below were not part of the original building. Adding a 2nd arena for basketball in my opinion would not violate what was stated in the city charter quoted above.

TheDoctor
01-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Did anyone here the discussion on Angie & Darcy today? I guess they had Mike on talking about doing things like upgrading the zoo and then they let listeners call in for an hour or two expressing their opinions. Unfortunately I missed most of it. The few people I did hear call in had opinions, but knew no facts about the subject. IMAGINE THAT! ;D

TheDoctor
01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
City Commissioners are elected to four-year terms. Linda Coates' and Mike William's seats will be up in June 2008, while Tim Mahoney's and Brad Wimmers' will be up in June 2010. Mayor Walaker's office will also be up in June 2010.

I know your right Hammer, but can I ask where you found your info. *I'd like to know for curiosity purposes when my fellow Park Board memebers that didn't just get elected with me come up for reelection - Barb Johnson and Joel Vettel. Thanks! *:D

Bisonguy
01-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Looks like Williams is the new Cosgriff.

2006gwfcchamps
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM

I'm confused about this whole thread. Wasn't this money intended to be used on your original fargo dome or whatever it is? Wouldn't it then be just as illegal to build another arena as to use it for different projects? Or simply having a walk-way between the two arenas is enough to get around that?

The "new" arena would use all the same water and heating pipes of the Fargodome and would share a wall of the dome. Really, this is just an expansion of the Fargodome. It's going to be used mainly for concerts and conventions that need a smaller venue. NDSU bball will also get to use it.

mikelsch
01-16-2007, 11:01 PM

++++

3-1509

Dedication of tax proceeds.--In accordance with Article 3P(4) of the Home Rule Charter of the city of Fargo, the revenues raised and collected pursuant to this article, less administrative expenses, are hereby dedicated to the construction, maintenance, and operation of a multi-purpose dome facility to be located on or adjacent to the campus of North Dakota State University to be used as a center for conventions and/or conferences, musical activities, sports activities and such other convention, cultural and sports functions as the dome authority, hereinafter created, may deem appropriate.

http://www.ci.fargo.nd.us/attachments/34e88f44-aa5d-4df2-a43f-9d790a7abe8f/03%20-%20Finances.pdf

Looks like Mike Williams needs to do some reading. This money is for the FargoDome, not a frigging zoo or tiddlywinks park.

He's got about another 18 months remaining on his term ---> vote him out

sambini
01-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Mike Williams needs to get voted off the commission.

TheDoctor
01-17-2007, 04:35 AM
My wife and I went to Labbys for dinner before the game tonight. Talked to Erdman's dad who was wearing his U MARY sweatshirt. I said "A former Bison basketball player supporting the opposition?" :D He smiled and said its his son's night tonight, but he'll be back in green and gold next week. :D Anyway Mike was there sipping wine with another gentlemen at the bar wearing their NDSU apparel >:( and getting ready to go to the game. I SOOOOO wanted to walk up and ask him why he wasn't at the zoo tonight instead of the Bison game, but cooler heads prevailed. ;D

IowaBison
01-17-2007, 04:38 AM
You should have thrown him a banana.

TheDoctor
01-17-2007, 04:44 AM
You should have thrown him a banana.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D That would have been funny!

Hammersmith
01-17-2007, 12:03 PM

I know your right Hammer, but can I ask where you found your info. *I'd like to know for curiosity purposes when my fellow Park Board memebers that didn't just get elected with me come up for reelection - Barb Johnson and Joel Vettel. Thanks! *:D
I typically use the search functions on in-forum.com for local stuff like this. The $4.95/month for complete access to the Forum's archives is nice for a fact-hound like me.

The Fargo Park Board members will be up for reelection in June of:

2008 - Barb Johnson and Joel Vettel
2010 - You, Mary Johnson and Ronald Sorvaag

Barb Johnson is the longest serving member of the board; she was first elected in 2000.

TheDoctor
01-17-2007, 02:21 PM

I typically use the search functions on in-forum.com for local stuff like this. The $4.95/month for complete access to the Forum's archives is nice for a fact-hound like me.

Barb Johnson is the longest serving member of the board; she was first elected in 2000.

Hammer - Once again - your the man. *Thanks buddy! *;)

56BISON73
01-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Hammer do you know if the Forum archives have the pictures inclused with the articles from the sports page? If so can one get those pictures printed? PL

Hammersmith
01-17-2007, 04:56 PM

Hammer do you know if the Forum archives have the pictures inclused with the articles from the sports page? *If so can one get those pictures printed? PL

It looks like it. I grabbed a couple of random MBB articles from a year ago and the pictures were still there. Click the photo to enlarge it and then left-click > Save Picture As... You can then modify it or print it out. Regular copyright issues apply, of course.

56BISON73
01-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Hammer
Do you think they would have them from the early 70s???PL

Hammersmith
01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Hammer
Do you think they would have them from the early 70s???PL
Oh, you mean that far back. No, the in-forum.com website archive only contains articles back to 1995; pictures began to be added sometime around 2002. If you want pictures from before that, you will either have to find a library that has kept the Forum in its archives or contact the paper directly. Sorry.

RedRiver
01-19-2007, 01:19 PM

++++

3-1509

Looks like Mike Williams needs to do some reading. *This money is for the FargoDome, not a frigging zoo or tiddlywinks park.

He's got about another 18 months remaining on his term ---> vote him out

The Forum's editorial opinion yesterday was titled "Keep focus on dome expansion."

Their position was that the dome sales tax should not be used for every scheme that comes along, but rather be used for only Fargodome improvements or expansion.

Very supportive article for the project.

IowaBisonToo
01-31-2007, 02:06 PM
I know this has been beat to death in terms of what we would like to see for a new basketball arena but, did anybody catch the UNI vs Witchita St game on ESPN2 last night? That UNI arena is really nice. One thing I really noticed while watching last night was how much it echoed in there. Anybody else watching and notice that? That would sure make it a lot louder for visiting teams but wouldn't do much for concerts if this were something the Fargodome people would help NDSU build and use it for concerts, too.

Anyway, cool to see it on the tube again. Hope to see something soon for NDSU.

NDSUFREAK10
02-01-2007, 01:06 AM
I know this has been beat to death in terms of what we would like to see for a new basketball arena but, did anybody catch the UNI vs Witchita St game on ESPN2 last night? *That UNI arena is really nice. *One thing I really noticed while watching last night was how much it echoed in there. *Anybody else watching and notice that? *That would sure make it a lot louder for visiting teams but wouldn't do much for concerts if this were something the Fargodome people would help NDSU build and use it for concerts, too.

Anyway, cool to see it on the tube again. *Hope to see something soon for NDSU.

Yeah, I saw it in an earlier game and I hope dearly for NDSU to build an arena like that one. It is brilliant.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-05-2007, 06:06 PM
I hold out hope that NDSU will make the right moves and get a new arena done.

NDSUstudent
02-08-2007, 04:22 AM
WDAY reported tonight that the off campus arena is officially off the table and that NDSU will continue working with the city on getting a new arena built next to the dome and will continue to renovate the BSA as well.

2006gwfcchamps
02-08-2007, 02:51 PM
That was pretty much a given.

Go ahead and build the new offices, locker rooms, practice courts, weight room, etc.

Don't touch the arena!

Hammersmith
02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
The BSA arena will be touched eventually, I guarantee it. The question is whether it will be renovated for bb/wrest/track or wrest/track/vb(maybe). Either way, the 6-lane floor will be replaced with an 8-lane that has a better surface and it might also be banked. If the new arena is built, I would think that the banking might be permanant, but it would have to be hydraulic if the BSA continues to serve as a bb arena. The seating will also be upgraded, though the number of seats will depend on the configuration chosen.

Someone in the know(like road, dormie or greeney) can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd bet that the original plan was to renovate the arena first, and then use the expected increase in fan/donor support to fund the support facilities half of the project. The FD arena proposal upset that plan, and they decided to do the support side first while the Dome Authority makes their decision. That's my read on the situation, though I could be wrong.

I really, really, really want this FD arena to happen, but the decision won't be made in next few months and Taylor and Co. can't procede as if it's a sure thing. There's way too much at stake.

RedRiver
02-08-2007, 05:56 PM
It was my understanding that the facility support side of the BSA project was always going to be completed and the only priority on the arena side was new seating. The west side addition for coaches offices, practice courts, and weight room were to be completed in year one and then the arena improvements for seating and concourse in year two.

2006gwfcchamps
02-08-2007, 09:23 PM
There is such a thing as an indoor track that you can take apart and put together, piece by piece.

I have no idea if that would be something that the track team would be interested in.

RedRiver
02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Ed on News & Views actually made some positive comments today about the proposed FargoDome arena. He mentioned the great success of Bison basketball at the DI level and that they could make the Big Dance in a few years. He thought it was appropriate to build a new arena that could be used by Bison basketball.

sambini
02-24-2007, 12:48 AM
MY OH MY ++++

NDSUstudent
02-24-2007, 06:16 AM
“You parade a kid in there or here, where are they going to go?” Miles said. “If we want to take it to the next level, we need a new arena. Hopefully, something will be done.”

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/KSUNIdomefans.jpg

A model facility
Kevin Schnepf, The Forum

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – Seated among nearly 6,000 basketball fans in an arena so new it still had construction zones, Rick Hartzell savored what he saw and heard on this cold February night.

The athletic director at the University of Northern Iowa – seated in one of 137 courtside seats – could hear the pep band blaring the school song from the bleacher section at the other end of the court.

That’s where more than 1,000 students, dressed in purple

T-shirts, routinely jumped up and down taunting the opponent.

Hartzell glanced at the 3,200 fans on either side of the court, each one occupying a purple-colored, cushioned seat.

“Most of those are season-ticket holders,” Hartzell said before Northern Iowa’s men’s basketball game against in-state rival Drake University.

“We have people coming to games now who don’t know the difference between a basketball or a ping-pong ball. They just want to be a part of this. They want to be seen here.”

They are part of what many Northern Iowa boosters call the ideal college basketball scene – screaming fans close to the action, filling the bowl-shaped seating that engulfs the wooden court of the three-month-old McLeod Center.

It’s the type of arena some would like to see built at North Dakota State.

Like Northern Iowa, NDSU is considered a mid-major program in NCAA Division I basketball – where average attendance among top mid-majors exceeds 4,000.

The similarities continue.

Northern Iowa used to play basketball in the UNI-Dome, a 31-year-old multipurpose facility considered too cavernous to generate an exciting atmosphere.

NDSU plays in the 37-year-old Bison Sports Arena, a multipurpose facility considered by some outdated for Division I basketball.

Northern Iowa’s McLeod Center is attached to the UNI-Dome. Arena supporters in Fargo want to see a new facility attached to the Fargodome.

There is one big difference.

Northern Iowa paid for the

$26 million McLeod Center with private donations. Arena supporters in Fargo have suggested using some of the excess Fargodome revenue – if there is any – to help pay for a new facility.

“We would be very interested in a new basketball arena, no question about that,” said NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor. “How that will be accomplished … I guess that is the $100 million question.”...........

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=157578

NDSUstudent
02-24-2007, 06:26 AM
I give that article a 10 out 10, I have been pushing for a UNI type of Arena for NDSU since I saw the plans of what UNI was building. This article finally answered some questions that I had and I am glad the BSA renovation is flexible and cuts will be made if the new arena becomes a reality. Hopefully the funding falls into place, this would give Bison basketball the boost it needs for long term success.

sambini
02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
This is what we need. Nice article today by Kevin Schempf.

Bison_Dan
02-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Great article but we need to get the word out that it's not just a bb arena. Everyone seems to think that it's being built just for NDSU. The Dome wants it for smaller venues that they're missing out on and NDSU would be a major tenant. I have a feeling that the dome tax extra revenues aren't going to come in as high as hoped. This could be a big win win situation for both the Dome and NDSU if promoted right.

BisBison
02-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Cedar Falls and Waterloo Iowa have about 110,000 people in the metro area, just over half of Fargo Moorhead. UNI has about 14,000 students, about a 1,000 or so more than NDSU. They built a 7,200 arena connected to the UNIDome for $26MM. And all with private $$. I would think an arena of that size/price range would be doable for Fargo/NDSU with a combinatin of private and sales tax $$.

IowaBison
02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
The McLeod is nice, but I don't like it's openess.

I strongly prefer a separated concourse with tunnels to the arena-similar to the Dome.

kchats
02-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I think NDSU wants a nicer facility with more upgrades than the UNI Arena. That is why the NDSU arena has been mentioned as costing around twice as much. I will believe a new arena will happen when I see the money. I for one am glad that they have moved forward including the basketball arena renovations with the BSA renovations. I have seen far too many proposed arenas go down in flames in Fargo because NDSU was associated with them.

DIBISON
02-24-2007, 03:41 PM
The big day is next Friday when the capitol improvement plan is released for the FD. Hopefully there will be adequate sales tax surplus funds to pay at least a third of the costs for a new arena.

NDSUstudent
02-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I think NDSU wants a nicer facility with more upgrades than the UNI Arena. *That is why the NDSU arena has been mentioned as costing around twice as much. *I will believe a new arena will happen when I see the money. *I for one am glad that they have moved forward including the basketball arena renovations with the BSA renovations. *I have seen far too many proposed arenas go down in flames in Fargo because NDSU was associated with them.

NDSU may want nicer but if all that can be afforded is a UNI type of arena the school would be foolish to pass it up, an arena of that type is 100 times nicer then the BSA. Every ESPN announcer that has gone through that facility left raving about it.

kchats
02-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I emailed Gene Taylor and asked him about the UNI Arena when they were first building it and he said it was a bare bones arena and that NDSU wanted to build an arena with more amenities. I would have to agree with him on this. Spend a bit more money to do it right the first time. It would be a shame to rush to build an arena that falls short of what the coaches and administration want just to have a new arena. The Bison have played in the BSA for nearly 40 years and they will probably do the same with any new arena. If you spend more the maintenance should be easier to do and it should be better for the fans. Do it right so you aren't stuck with something you aren't happy with. With the BSA renovations nearly beginning it isn't like NDSU doesn't have a viable backup plan to a new arena. If it is shown that there isn't enough money in the excess sales tax and NDSU's share is too large, renovate the BSA basketball arena included and then in a year or two kick of another fund raising drive to fund a new arena. The BSA renovation sounds like it will be very nice with suites and everything else. I would much rather see NDSU build an arena they can be proud of then rush into a cheaper facility.

Bison13
02-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I emailed Gene Taylor and asked him about the UNI Arena when they were first building it and he said it was a bare bones arena and that NDSU wanted to build an arena with more amenities. *I would have to agree with him on this. *Spend a bit more money to do it right the first time. *It would be a shame to rush to build an arena that falls short of what the coaches and administration want just to have a new arena. *The Bison have played in the BSA for nearly 40 years and they will probably do the same with any new arena. *If you spend more the maintenance should be easier to do and it should be better for the fans. *Do it right so you aren't stuck with something you aren't happy with. *With the BSA renovations nearly beginning it isn't like NDSU doesn't have a viable backup plan to a new arena. *If it is shown that there isn't enough money in the excess sales tax and NDSU's share is too large, renovate the BSA basketball arena included and then in a year or two kick of another fund raising drive to fund a new arena. *The BSA renovation sounds like it will be very nice with suites and everything else. *I would much rather see NDSU build an arena they can be proud of then rush into a cheaper facility.

NDSU spills excellence out the door. KC_Hats is right, if NDSU is going to it, they are going to do it right. NDSU is too proud to just throw something together and hope it works

NDSUstudent
02-24-2007, 05:05 PM
NDSU spills excellence out the door. KC_Hats is right, if NDSU is going to it, they are going to do it right. NDSU is too proud to just throw something together and hope it works

I think he is wrong to quote what Gene said a few years ago, that UNI arena spills excellence. The ESPN crew doing one of the games said it was a Big East caliber arena, plus the arena is loud and the seats are right on top of the action. The only thing it lacks is suites and I suppose that is something NDSU will want to expand on if they go the route of building a UNI type of arena.

kchats
02-24-2007, 05:26 PM
NDSU's arena will have suites. Heck if you read the article on the BSA renovation it said they are planning on adding suites to the BSA with the renovation.

NDSUstudent
02-24-2007, 06:00 PM
NDSU's arena will have suites. *Heck if you read the article on the BSA renovation it said they are planning on adding suites to the BSA with the renovation.

I know that, that is why I said if NDSU went the UNI route the would want to *expand on the amount of suites. Their arena has suites but there are only a couple, I am sure NDSU would like to have an arena with 6-12 suites.

kchats
02-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that is why NDSU says UNI's Arena is bare bones. That could also add up to the additional $20 million. The bad thing about that article is now people in Fargo will wonder why NDSU's new arena needs to cost $45 million if the $26 million arena is so great for UNI.

Hammersmith
02-24-2007, 07:32 PM
The materials and labor involved in a Fargodome arena will also raise the price over the McLeod Center. The MC was built using large steel panels over a steel cage frame. Quick and easy to assemble. A FD arena will likely have a brick facade over a steel frame to match the existing architecture. Brick is more expensive and far more labor intensive to construct. How much this will drive up the cost, I don't know. But it won't be a small amount.

NDSUstudent
02-24-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that is why NDSU says UNI's Arena is bare bones. *That could also add up to the additional $20 million. *The bad thing about that article is now people in Fargo will wonder why NDSU's new arena needs to cost $45 million if the $26 million arena is so great for UNI.

Well the article never said it would cost 45 million, it just said UNI was building a model facility. The price of the new facility will be 30-45 million according to Mayor Walaker so no number has been set in stone. As for the UNI arena, there are many things I like but I agree more suites are needed but that isn't going to run 20 million(the new hockey arena has 40 suites and the entire facilty only costs 34 million). I do really like how the interior is laid out though, 7k seats around the court and right on top of the action. If NDSU went with the UNI type of arena it would probably take an extra 5-10 million to get the perfect facilitiy.

WePharm
02-26-2007, 05:42 PM
If it needs a vote I doubt the citizens of Fargo will vote for it. They are feeling the pain of high property taxes. Anything that smells of a tax even if it's not a property tax would probably be defeated.

May have to just go with the BSA renovation. Not ideal, but may have to make the best of it. Would like to see more BSA plans if anyone has any.

Mr_Meanor
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't know how this whole thing works....but I am wondering how much say the people over at the fargodome have on this. With the new hockey arena being built I could see the people over at the dome being a little leary of adding the basketball arena. I know the dome was hoping the arena could be used for smaller concerts and such and with the hockey arena being built they could potentially take some of those smaller concerts aways from the dome and into the hockey arena. Just wondering if anyone had more information about this?

NDSUstudent
02-26-2007, 07:16 PM
If it needs a vote I doubt the citizens of Fargo will vote for it. They are feeling the pain of high property taxes. Anything that smells of a tax even if it's not a property tax would probably be defeated.

May have to just go with the BSA renovation. Not ideal, but may have to make the best of it. Would like to see more BSA plans if anyone has any.

Well if it comes to a vote it doesn't stand a chance but if the dome has enough excess tax money 10-15 million there would be no need for a vote. If I remember right from the Forum article there is meeting on Friday that will give more information regarding the excess tax money.

As for the urban plains arena, I don't see it being a problem since it will be filled with hockey related events for most of the year.

mikelsch
02-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I can't wait until Friday when the architect reveals the long-term maintenance plan for the FargoDome. It will be interesting to see what they have planned for the Dome and how much money it will cost. Then, it will be very interesting to see how much is remaining for a potential add-on arena.

I agree, the voters of Fargo won't authorize a new tax for this potential arena. But, I think there's enough votes on the FargoDome Authority and City Commission to authorize spending excess dollars that are above-and-beyond what's needed for long-term maintenance. Then it will be a matter of NDSU and the corporate community to raise the remaining $.

NDSUFREAK10
02-26-2007, 11:06 PM
There is a sales tax until the summer going on right now and Commish Wimmer said that they are getting a great deal of money with that.

westsidebison
02-26-2007, 11:18 PM
I can't wait until Friday when the architect reveals the long-term maintenance plan for the FargoDome. *It will be interesting to see what they have planned for the Dome and how much money it will cost. *Then, it will be very interesting to see how much is remaining for a potential add-on arena. *

I agree, the voters of Fargo won't authorize a new tax for this potential arena. *But, I think there's enough votes on the FargoDome Authority and City Commission to authorize spending excess dollars that are above-and-beyond what's needed for long-term maintenance. *Then it will be a matter of NDSU and the corporate community to raise the remaining $.
I can't wait to see it either! I really hope this becomes a reality!!
Question: When will we know what the surplus will be?
Question#2: I heard some of you talk about seeing the updated plans for the BSA on the basketball show a while back. Is there any way someone could find those on-line??

NDSUFREAK10
02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
I can't wait until Friday when the architect reveals the long-term maintenance plan for the FargoDome. *It will be interesting to see what they have planned for the Dome and how much money it will cost. *Then, it will be very interesting to see how much is remaining for a potential add-on arena. *

I agree, the voters of Fargo won't authorize a new tax for this potential arena. *But, I think there's enough votes on the FargoDome Authority and City Commission to authorize spending excess dollars that are above-and-beyond what's needed for long-term maintenance. *Then it will be a matter of NDSU and the corporate community to raise the remaining $.
I can't *wait to see it either! I really hope this becomes a reality!!
Question#2: I heard some of you talk about seeing the updated plans for the BSA on the basketball show a while back. Is there any way someone could find those on-line??

After the meeting and when they figure out the money left after the house keeping costs like heating and electricity.

Hammersmith
02-26-2007, 11:46 PM

After the meeting and when they figure out the money left after the house keeping costs like heating and electricity.
Actually, I don't think they'll completely know until sometime in early 2009. Since the tax continues through most or all of 2008, any numbers released before then will be projections. Of course the closer we get to 2008, the more accurate the projections become.

kchats
02-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Long time to wait when you have the BSA starting its renovations later this year. Hopefully they will know enough so a decision can be made.

Bison13
02-28-2007, 04:27 AM

If you have all access to Gobison.com there is usually all the bison basketball shows archived. But for some reason they have not posted the show with the BSA plans on it. I wrote them an email and I will post when its up

DORMIE
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
If somehow our city is able to pull off the BSA renovation, the addition to the Dome and the Urban Plains complex we would really rock for total facilities. I hope that Mike Williams gets his head out of his ass and gets on board with all of this.

IowaBison
02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Williams is a dope. How a council person cannot comprehend that a tax for a designated purpose cannot be used on other ones is beyond me.

sambini
02-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Dormie you are so right. ++++++

mikelsch
02-28-2007, 06:21 PM
If somehow our city is able to pull off the BSA renovation, the addition to the Dome and the Urban Plains complex we would really rock for total facilities. *I hope that Mike Williams gets his head out of his ass and gets on board with all of this.

Fargo and NDSU need top notch facilities, maybe even more so than most other areas across the country. It's hard to sell potential entertainers, businesses, recruits, sports programs, etc on our climate, location, and population. This area would be set for quite awhile with the FargoDome, Newman Outdoor Field, Urban Plains complex, new arena next to the FargoDome, renovated/expanded BSA and Ellig Sports Complex.

Ivy
03-01-2007, 11:22 PM
I think the FargoDome people need to get on the ball with this whole BB arena/smaller sized attached venue thing. *The new complex on the South side says they won't do smaller scale concerts and whatnot, but if there isn't any competition for them out there, what’s going to stop them?

westsidebison
03-03-2007, 01:32 AM

If you have all access to Gobison.com there is usually all the bison basketball shows archived. But for some reason they have not posted the show with the BSA plans on it. I wrote them an email and I will post when its up
Thanks dude!

Bison13
03-03-2007, 04:53 PM
On gobison.com the bison basketball show is posted that includes plans for the BSA. It was posted a few days ago but I have been kinda busy! The show is dated Feb. 18th. Things are looking up with or without the new Bball arena! PS: Miles should do his own show, he is much more interesting than the other guy

NDSUFREAK10
03-03-2007, 05:19 PM
On gobison.com the bison basketball show is posted that includes plans for the BSA. It was posted a few days ago but I have been kinda busy! The show is dated Feb. 18th. Things are looking up with or without the new Bball arena! PS: Miles should do his own show, he is much more interesting than the other guy

Is there any pictures of it besides the ones that are on the NDSU foundation site?

roadwarrior
03-03-2007, 06:23 PM
The pictures on the NDSU foundation site are from plans a couple of years ago. The new plans are much different.

NDSUFREAK10
03-03-2007, 08:28 PM
The pictures on the NDSU foundation site are from plans a couple of years ago. *The new plans are much different.

Any pictures of the new plans?

roadwarrior
03-04-2007, 07:29 AM
The new plans are not online yet.

DORMIE
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I attended the wrestling regionals on Saturday at the McLoud center at UNI. It is unbelievable. I should have taken a camera. 19 rows all the way around. The student section is on one end with benches. I was told it seats 7.000. I would say that it is perfect.

Bison_Dan
03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
The big day is next Friday when the capitol improvement plan is released for the FD. *Hopefully there will be adequate sales tax surplus funds to pay at least a third of the costs for a new arena. *

I must have missed it. I didn't hear a thing about what the out come is for the capitol improvement plan. Did they have the meeting on the 2nd or not?

roadwarrior
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I think the meeting got changed to this week.

Bison_Dan
03-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I think the meeting got changed to this week.

Thanks.

NDSUstudent
03-20-2007, 01:49 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10051007/2

That meant fulfilling a three-for-one deal to go to North Dakota State on Dec. 9. The Bison had just beaten Marquette and their high-schoolish gym bared fangs that night. In perhaps the most hostile environment of the season, K-State won by two.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Build It!!!!!

RedRiver
03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Nonprofits want a piece of the FD surplus....

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=160125&section=news

2006gwfcchamps
03-20-2007, 01:41 PM
They can make whatever push they want.

The money will stay with the dome and that's final.

And Williams should be voted out next election.

IowaBison
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Those involved with the nonprofits deserve a quick blow to the head.

2nd Rule of Politics: Never explicitly say that you're taking anything from anyone.

bisonaudit
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Williams floated out the 'It'll lower property taxes.' dog and pony show. He'll have people beating down his door begging for a chance to vote for this non-profit deal before you can say 'fiasco'.

sambini
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

BisBison
03-20-2007, 11:45 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

westsidebison
03-21-2007, 01:26 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Funny we didn't hear about Mr. compassion's plan until after the push for the dome extension started.

sambini
03-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Any way he can make a name for himself.

NDSUstudent
03-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Williams blog on the arena debate.....

http://www.areavoices.com/our%20rights/?blog=7266

DIBISON
03-22-2007, 03:00 AM
Not good, we need to keep contacting the Fargo City Commissioners to let them know that there is support for a multi-purpose arena attached to the FargoDome.

sambini
03-22-2007, 03:52 AM
I'll let them know+++

TheBisonator
03-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Looks like they're moving forward with preliminary arena specs:

http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/160331

NDSUstudent
03-22-2007, 06:18 AM
The city commission meeting is on the 26th, getting approval there will be the next big step.

RedRiver
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
The city commission meeting is on the 26th, getting approval there will be the next big step.

The city commissioners need to hear from people that support the project. Email them.

2006gwfcchamps
03-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Williams is a lone man against this.

None of the other commissioners are going to risk their jobs over this.

RedRiver
03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Forum Editorial on FargoDome surplus.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=160177

sambini
03-25-2007, 04:13 AM
Well said +++

NDSUstudent
03-27-2007, 05:55 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/160889

Well the city moved forward with the Dome plans and will now look for an architect to further look into it. There seems to be plenty of question marks though, Walaker didn't exactly sound confident about it in the article. I guess we just need to keep on voicing our support to the comission and hopefully the numbers work out in the end.

sambini
03-27-2007, 05:58 AM
It was a long city commission meeting. But they are working at it. Williams is still trying to stir the pot.

imabison
03-28-2007, 02:40 AM
It was a long city commission meeting. But they are working at it. Williams is still trying to stir the pot.
I think it was a long city council meeting because of the mostly the other issues.

One point that that Jerk Williams did make, did the cost estimates for Maintenance include the existing building only, or both that and the new arena.

kchats
03-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Like I have been saying all along that is alot of money. NDSU is still raising money for the renovations of the BSA. They need money to get all programs fully funded. I still say I will believe there will be a new arena when the contract is signed and the money is raised.

sambini
03-30-2007, 05:13 AM
And when the dirt is being moved.

NDSUstudent
03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Jeremy Cahill, Fargo letter: Look at all options for future of dome
The Forum - 03/27/2007

First, thanks to City Commissioner Mike Williams for a great common-sense column in Thursday’s (March 22) op-ed section about the proposed basketball addition to the Fargodome. Mayor Dennis Walaker is now fast-tracking the addition as a “multi-use” facility. (I’m tempted to call it the “baby elephant”). Let’s call a duck a duck. It will be North Dakota State University’s Division I basketball arena. They’ll get their usual perks: free use, practice times, lockers and coaches’ space, and preferential scheduling for games.

The commissioners have several choices:

The original plan: NDSU can follow up on its boast to be able to fulfill its Division I needs with its own fundraising efforts and complete its plan for the renovation of the Bison Sports Arena. Cost to the taxpayers and the dome fund ... zero.

Second option: NDSU can take up Ace Brandt’s offer of a basketball arena in south Fargo. Cost to the taxpayers and the dome fund ... zero.

Third option: The City Commission/NDSU “coffee club” can approve funding for the architect’s $50,000 study of a “multi-use” addition to the Fargo dome. Final cost to the taxpayer and the dome fund ... $30 million.

Letting the voters make the decision about the use of the dome sales tax “surplus” above and beyond future maintenance of the dome ... priceless.

http://www.areavoices.com/our%20rights/

Looks like the why should we help NDSU in anyway speaks again, as usual this person stretches the facts to make NDSU look like the bad guy.

kchats
03-31-2007, 03:50 AM
Not surprising to me. The arena votes have been ugly. It's beginning to look more and more like a renovated BSA for Bison Basketball.

Bisonguy
03-31-2007, 03:56 AM
Not surprising to me. *The arena votes have been ugly. *It's beginning to look more and more like a renovated BSA for Bison Basketball.

Hopefully the BSA would be able to host concerts again!!!

kchats
03-31-2007, 04:13 AM
I remember the concerts at the BSA in the late 80s. 8-)

sambini
04-01-2007, 01:58 AM
I worked security for April Wine and Eddie Money.

99Bison
04-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Bison Basketball aside, why does the city not want a good sized arena for concerts, etc, etc, etc, etc. That doesn't make any sense... How much money is a new library or other non venue of choice going to make (or cost) you?

Even more than the original Fargodome naysayers, this is even more rediculous to have large of opposition. Then again no one really knows how much opposition or supporters there really are ath this point.

bisonaudit
04-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Then again no one really knows how much opposition or supporters there really are ath this point.

I don't think it's about popular support. The only people who need to support this are a majority of the Dome Authority, the Mayor, A Majority of the City Council and President Chapman.

If the money is there you only need about 10 people to raise their hand in favor not 50,000. The money, however, is going to be a big issue.

99Bison
04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Then again no one really knows how much opposition or supporters there really are ath this point.

I don't think it's about popular support. The only people who need to support this are a majority of the Dome Authority, the Mayor, A Majority of the City Council and President Chapman.

If the money is there you only need about 10 people to raise their hand in favor not 50,000. The money, however, is going to be a big issue.

Sure technially speaking, however it is also easier for "the 10 people" to raise their hand in support of it when they feel that they have support from behind, because ultimately their job is on the line with it.

Not to mention it is much easier to raise money with more general support of course...

WePharm
04-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I would be satisfied with a renovated BSA for several reasons.
1) Money. I think the amount to fully renovate the BSA (aprox 20M) is doable. Some bucks could be
raised with naming rights for the arena or court itself.
2)I think building another arena, even if it is attached to the FFD, will not sit well with a majority of
the citizens of Fargo & the surrounding area. Even though it may be a good idea, I think it would
create a lot of ill feeling toward NDSU. Public relations is important, if people feel you are getting
preferential treatment at the public trough, they will resent it. Also there are plenty of und fans in
Fargo that would gladly spank that horse.
3) Upgraded practice and training facilities will enhance recruiting. No it won't be a palace, but as
pointed out in a previous post it will have the facilities to allow our athletes to be successful in D1
4)I think the students & fans will like it. I will be much more comfortable with the stadium seats,
better concessions, suites, fan store, etc etc.
5) It will be loud. We already have that!

TheBisonator
04-03-2007, 02:09 AM
I think that if they spend enough money (25-30 mil or so) and get rid of all the wooden bleachers, redo the interior, get rid of the white paneling, add cool new facilities, new seating (maybe raise the cap. to 7,500 or so with end seating?), luxury suites up top, maybe a new camera deck, new weight room, new track, the whole nine yards, etc., then I think the BSA could be a good place for all athletics. But it will take at least 25-30 million dollars, IMO. And that would all have to be raised by us (the students and alumni).

The good thing is that it would be broken down into 3 phases or so. The place could be re-built to look similar to the new Wellness Center. It would then become a good middle-of-the-pack mid-major facility.

99Bison
04-03-2007, 04:25 AM
2)I think building another arena, even if it is attached to the FFD, will not sit well with a majority of
* the citizens of Fargo & the surrounding area. Even though it may be a good idea, I think it would * *
* create a lot of ill feeling toward NDSU. Public relations is important, if people feel you are getting
*preferential treatment at the public trough, they will resent it. Also there are plenty of und fans in
*Fargo that would gladly spank that horse.

Yep, just like the fargodome... Some will have ill feelings, but as soon as they attend two or three events related to the bison or not and realize cool it is, they will have a selective, short memory... How many dis the fargodomes creation now?

IMO, the only better part of a BSA renovation is the ability for ndsu to do exactly what they want with it. Green/gold seats, logo's everywhere, etc.