PDA

View Full Version : Fargo Dome Expansion

Bison101
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I was reading some infomation about the Kibbie (sp) Dome expansion in Moscow for the U of Idaho. I couldn't help but think that if for some reason the basketball arena falls through, in 10 years, we would have enough capital to work with to expand the Dome by adding upper decks. I was not around Fargo when the Dome plans were being worked on but is the Dome expandable? I don't really see why it wouldn't be, but raising the roof to add two 5000 seat upper decks wouldn't be cheap. What is everyone's thoughts on this.

sambini
04-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Lets fill it up first for every game.

Bison101
04-12-2007, 01:46 AM
I was reading some infomation about the Kibbie (sp) Dome expansion in Moscow for the U of Idaho. I couldn't help but think that if for some reason the basketball arena falls through, in 10 years, we would have enough capital to work with to expand the Dome by adding upper decks. I was not around Fargo when the Dome plans were being worked on but is the Dome expandable? I don't really see why it wouldn't be, but raising the roof to add two 5000 seat upper decks wouldn't be cheap. What is everyone's thoughts on this.

Hammersmith
04-12-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm about 99% certain that there is no feasible way to add significant seating to the FD. I'm sure there are more reasons, but two jump out at me: soil and traffic. Red River Valley soil makes the construction of large buildings very difficult. I doubt the footings of the FD could handle the large amount of additional weight from the extra deck plus the people without massive reengineering. Massive reengineering = massive costs. The traffic I referred to is the movement of people to the theoretical upper deck. How would they get there? Most likely a second concourse would have to be added outside the walls of the current structure. I shudder to think what the costs would be and how long it would knock the FD out of commission during construction. I think a new 35,000 seat outdoor stadium would be far cheaper and give Fargo an additional venue without impacting the old one. Ask me again in 10-15 years.

kchats
04-12-2007, 03:14 AM
I think it would be a huge mistake to not build a new dome or at least stadium with a retractable roof when the FargoDome's useful life is finished. Attendence has increased because of the division I move but it has also increased due to the dome. Weather no longer prevents fans from going to games.

sambini
04-12-2007, 04:11 AM

If were going to the WAC . Then they would have to look at it. But in 10 years where do you see us being? I myself would like to see it where Bison football is the hotest ticket around. Waiting lists for season tickets etc. like Green Bay or Lincoln,Ne Husker football on every game day saturday people are going to one thing thee GAME BISON FOOTBALL.

Charger
04-13-2007, 05:03 PM
The could do something similar to the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne http://www.memorialcoliseum.com/construction_roof_raising_directory.asp.
Here's a before pic: http://www.memorialcoliseum.com/images/construction/roof%20construction/july_aug01/7_25.jpg
And after: http://www.memorialcoliseum.com/images/construction/roof%20construction/aug_02/constr18.jpg

Two new sides and a raised roof.

bisonaudit
04-13-2007, 06:24 PM
That place is silly. On their web site it looks there's an expo floor under the arena. Like an entire level of the building below the playing surface. Crazy.

My initial reaction to your picks was that it was ugly on the outside but some of the fully finished shots on the web site give it a totally different feel. The building looks pretty good.

I don't know if a lift like that is possible on the dome. Maybe, but the dome roof is considerably larger and I would suspect considerably heavier as it's covering a football field rather than an ice sheet.

Again, there are also soil conditions to consider which may or may not be an issue in Fort Wayne but are definately a big consideration in the RRV.

Things like this just remind you what's possible. They're building the two tallest building in the world in the UAE now, one is going to be a kilometer tall, nearly twice the height of the Empire State. Also they're considering a 60 story building on which each floor is capable of rotating 360 degrees independent of all other floors. Oh, and they're running horse races on artificial, plastic race tracks which early returns indicate reduce fatal injuries by 80%. The field at the new Twins stadium is going to be heated, but they're already doing that at Lambeau so it's nothing new anymore. Just saw those items in the paper today. On the football front, the Cowboys new stadium is going to have a video board that's 60 yards across. There are no crazy ideas, everything should be on the table, then pick what's the most feasible.

The answer to can we do it is almost always 'yes'. It's the next question 'how much is it going to cost?' that causes all the problems.

Bison101
04-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Something like that would be ideal for NDSU's football future. It would also allow us to get rid of those 4 corner post and place seating in there. Basically just dreaming here, but For NDSU football, playing indoors is going to be key. We have a long way's to go though. However, at our currnent growth rate, I don't see any reason why something like this couldn't happen. By the way, perhaps we could even start our own Bowl game. The tundra bowl. It will host the 3rd place team in the Sunbelt and 5th place MAC team. Can you imagine the exicitement! ;) However, that bowl game over in Boise has likely played a big part in the success of their program in FBS, and having any kind of bowl game in Fargo would be great exposure for the city and our program, even the toilet errr, tundra bowl. Not to mention if the Bison go 6-6, we would be guranteed a bowl game!

MinotBison
04-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Something like that would be ideal for NDSU's football future. It would also allow us to get rid of those 4 corner post and place seating in there. Basically just dreaming here, but For NDSU football, playing indoors is going to be key. We have a long way's to go though. However, at our currnent growth rate, I don't see any reason why something like this couldn't happen. By the way, perhaps we could even start our own Bowl game. The tundra bowl. It will host the 3rd place team in the Sunbelt and 5th place MAC team. Can you imagine the exicitement! *;) However, that bowl game over in Boise has likely played a big part in the success of their program in FBS, and having any kind of bowl game in Fargo would be great exposure for the city and our program, even the toilet errr, tundra bowl. Not to mention if the Bison go 6-6, we would be guranteed a bowl game!

Dream on.

TheBisonator
04-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I think it would cost maybe as much to expand the Dome seating to 30,000 or so as it would to just build a new stadium. The issue here is that the Fargodome has become such an important, integral part of NDSU and the city, that it would seem foolish to just tear it down and replace it with something else. Besides, we just recently completed the new coaches offices/locker/training rooms. I'm all for coming up with ideas for a new football stadium for the Bison, but we have to be realistic and know that it won't happen for maybe 15-20 years.

sambini
04-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I think it would cost maybe as much to expand the Dome seating to 30,000 or so as it would to just build a new stadium. The issue here is that the Fargodome has become such an important, integral part of NDSU and the city, that it would seem foolish to just tear it down and replace it with something else. Besides, we just recently completed the new coaches offices/locker/training rooms. I'm all for coming up with ideas for a new football stadium for the Bison, but we have to be realistic and know that it won't happen for maybe 15-20 years.
WELL SAID+++ ONE STEP AT A TIME.

TheDoctor
04-15-2007, 05:45 AM
WELL SAID+++ ONE STEP AT A TIME.

++++++++ ;)

Bisonguy
06-02-2007, 06:12 AM
T.L. Stroh has been selected as the architect-

Task force picks dome architect (http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/167418)

sambini
06-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Good pick A NDSU ALUM AND TEAMMAKER ALSO.

Bisonguy
06-02-2007, 03:06 PM
And plenty of experience with NDSU projects.

SDbison
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Good move, but I hope the plans end up with seating closer to 8000. It is laughable they would even consider a 6000 capacity. The BSA can hold that many right now. At least if they propose a plan with 6750 capacity I hope the overall architecture would support the ability to easily add 1500 to 2000 more seats at a later date.

Greenie
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Highlights from the article...

"The architects will answer looming questions such as whether the addition should be a standalone building or attached to the dome and what types of facilities it should include besides basketball. Those facilities won’t include hockey, Wimmer said

Figures tossed around Friday were in the $30 million to $40 million range, and officials hope it will be closer to $30 million, he said.

The task force’s recommendation goes to the Dome Authority next week and, if it’s approved, to the City Commission on June 18.

The architects are expected to start their work around July 1 and have a proposal ready for the Dome Authority in three to four months, said Rob Sobolik, the dome’s general manager."

NDSUFREAK
06-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Sounds Like A Plan!

IowaBisonToo
06-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Put it up! Pack the place!:nod:

Greenie
06-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Highlights from the article...

"The architects will answer looming questions such as whether the addition should be a standalone building or attached to the dome and what types of facilities it should include besides basketball. Those facilities won’t include hockey, Wimmer said

Figures tossed around Friday were in the $30 million to $40 million range, and officials hope it will be closer to $30 million, he said.

The task force’s recommendation goes to the Dome Authority next week and, if it’s approved, to the City Commission on June 18.

The architects are expected to start their work around July 1 and have a proposal ready for the Dome Authority in three to four months, said Rob Sobolik, the dome’s general manager."

City Commissioners voted 5-0 to approve this last night. Should see design and cost estimates by October. Let's get this thing done.

imabison
06-19-2007, 05:41 PM
City Commissioners voted 5-0 to approve this last night. Should see design and cost estimates by October. Let's get this thing done.
If they are not, and I suspect they are, NDSU officials need to start the fund raising for this project immediately.

imabison
06-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Not really official, but it sounds like the early designs are for the arena to be on the South Side of the Fargodome.

roadwarrior
06-20-2007, 03:17 AM
The big surprise is that Williams voted for the $50,000 !!

sambini
06-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Thats a miracle+++

Trim
06-20-2007, 03:59 AM
Thats a miracle+++

Whoa! +++++

TheBisonator
06-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Can someone fill me in here - Did the city commission vote 5-0 to greenlight the arena project alltogether, or will they also have to vote for numerous steps in the process in the future?? Is this the last vote the City Commission needs to take until construction starts?? I really hope that there doesn't need to be any more city commission votes, and that the design and budget process can go ahead smoothly.

Trim
06-20-2007, 04:19 AM
I think many more votes to come.

roadwarrior
06-20-2007, 05:01 AM
This vote only spends $50,000 for the architects to come up with preliminary plans and cost estimates. Thats why there wasnt a long drawn out discussion at this point.

Any actual construction would have to be first approved by the dome authority and then the city commission.

Hammersmith
06-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Can someone fill me in here - Did the city commission vote 5-0 to greenlight the arena project alltogether, or will they also have to vote for numerous steps in the process in the future?? Is this the last vote the City Commission needs to take until construction starts?? I really hope that there doesn't need to be any more city commission votes, and that the design and budget process can go ahead smoothly.
No, this vote was pretty limited in scope. The commission had previously voted to hire an architect, but they hadn't chosen who it would be. A task force was formed to look through the applicants, and they chose T.L. Stroh. This vote was to accept the task force's recommendation and hire them. The big fight will come around October when Stroh comes back with some more detailed plans and costs.

bisonaudit
06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
To the South? Really? I was under the impression that there were significant infrastructure reasons why the West made the most sense. Perhaps I was mistaken on that point.

Had there been much serious speculation about building South?

I wonder what that's going to look like? Stroh has done a nice job on may projects for the University and around town, I'm sure they'll do well with this too. I'm just a little supprised by building South, can't picture it in my head. But I suppose that the cross street on the South side of the Dome if they need to take it out is less of a loss than the one one the West.

NDSU_grad
06-20-2007, 03:09 PM
I always thought the south side made more sense. I think they could fit the arena there without infringing on 15th(?) Avenue, whereas they would obviously have to take out the street on the west side of the dome if they were to build there.

roadwarrior
06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I have always thought that an addition on the south side made more sense than one on the west side. A south arena could then be connected to the main ticket lobby on the east side with an inside walkway.

Two big considerations will be what is underground that might have to be moved and also what surface changes will have to be made. I would think that building on the west side would disrupt the existing roads and parking lots much more than on the south side. I have no clue what runs where underground.

NDSU is currently replacing the water and sewer lines on 17th avenue between the BSA and the Fargodome. The street will also be completely new by the time football season starts (if it stops raining). There is plenty of room on the south side for a basketball arena without taking out 17th ave.

I would think that the exterior of an addition would be brick to match the original building, but of course will not nearly be as high as the existing building.

Bison bison
06-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I think that the Arena should place on top of the FargoDome.

That way if continues to rain, I will have a place to hang out.

We could call it the Ark.

Hammersmith
06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I actually wouldn't mind a western expansion. If you look at the campus map, a new road could be put in between the current west lots and the land set aside for future parking lots. This arena would give them the excuse they need to pave them, and the removal of the current 14th(?) St would improve traffic flow. By putting a jog in the road, it would encourage people to use 18th St when entering campus from the north. Keeping as much traffic as possible off of Albrecht is a good thing. Besides, even if the arena is built on the south side, the construction traffic will destroy the westside road and it would need to be replaced anyway.

One last thing, I don't think there's any way to do this without a second ticket lobby. Seperate events could work fine with one, but simultaneous events would be a madhouse(a maaadhouuusssseee ;)).

imabison
06-20-2007, 06:46 PM
There are reasons to put it at both locations. Pat Simmers once said he would like it on the South side so it can be connected to the BSA by skywalk and that would allow for 3 connected buildings for conferences and shows.

TheBisonator
06-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm starting to think a southside expansion will work better, because if you attached the arena to the west side, you could only be able to further expand the football stadium seating on the east side grandstand by building a second deck by tearing out the east side ceiling slope (read about this on one of my posts on AGS - it is completely feasible), making the capacity at a max of 24,000. If you freed up the west side, you could do the same to the west side (adding another deck) to make the capacity 29,000. With a few touches here and there, you could make the football stadium portion seat about 30,000. Perfect for a potential FBS move.

Not only that, but the whole Fargodome complex would look symmetrical if you bisected it north/south. The design could end up looking really good with added decks on the east and west sides and a new arena attached to the south.

lakesbison
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
amen to that.

P.S_ WHY IS NDSU WASTING THEIR MONEY RENOVATING THE BSA!!!!

maybe ill start a new thread.

But cmon, NO WAY NDSU should spend $8-15 million on the BSA, when we can spend $1-2 Million on BSA to just do minor touchups, and spend the rest on the FARGODOME PROJECT!!!

SDbison
06-20-2007, 09:58 PM
amen to that.

P.S_ WHY IS NDSU WASTING THEIR MONEY RENOVATING THE BSA!!!!

maybe ill start a new thread.

But cmon, NO WAY NDSU should spend $8-15 million on the BSA, when we can spend $1-2 Million on BSA to just do minor touchups, and spend the rest on the FARGODOME PROJECT!!!

Lakes you forget, the BSA still needs to be updated for coaches offices, the weight room, bathrooms and concessions to support wrestling, indoor track improvements, etc. So that 8 million already raised woud probably get used for that. The BSA would also be the practice facility for basketball.
NOTE: I like the south side dome addition idea since it would be closer for the basketball players to access for occasional practices that would give it more of a home court feel.

lakesbison
06-20-2007, 10:01 PM
i dont care, its a freakin office, not an $8 million office!!!

WYOBISONMAN
06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Take the politics elsewhere. This discussion has NOTHING to do with the 10 commandments issue. Political Posts are DELETED! This is a legit thread, so I am leaving it open, but the political posts have been removed.

TheDoctor
06-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Hog tie the culprets WyomingBison! ;)

Hammersmith
06-27-2007, 05:43 AM
More info:
Architects begin gathering input on dome addition (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=170112&section=news)

WYOBISONMAN
06-27-2007, 02:11 PM

I may just do that!!;)

SDbison
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM

Come and get me............

NDSUstudent
06-28-2007, 03:54 AM
Hopefully, they build a 7,000 seat arena with the seats as close as you can get them to the floor. Keep the suites and club seats away from the floor, that is really my only major request(besides green and gold seats).

WYOBISONMAN
06-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Come and get me............

I just might, especially if I can fish some walleyes!!

bisonaudit
06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Sounds like they're moving away from suites in favor of a club level type concept. I agree with the prior post on location. Put the kids as close a possible to the floor, give the VIPs their amenities but put them farther back. With 7,500 seats they'll still be plenty close to the action and you'll be able to squeeze more money out of otherwise non-premium geography.

Example: National's new ball park. There's club seating in center field, full season package only. $40/game for the first 10 rows, $60/game behind that, but the seats in the back are wider w/ more leg room and have a bar rail in front for your food, drink, scorebook, magazine, business proposal, etc. Without the club and amenities these would be $20 seats.

SDbison
06-28-2007, 03:00 PM
The dome wants seating for at least 7500 for smaller concerts so I don't see them building the addition for less than 7500 to 8000 capacity. Remember even with floor seating one end of the new arena will be lost for seating since it will be behind the stage. The question is how stripped down will it have to be to stay under 40 million?

buffalobilljr
07-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Remember this will be an events center so I hope we do it right: size, seating, amenities, flexibilty to name a few features. The Fargo Civic Center never reached to the level it should have.

sambini
07-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Remember this will be an events center so I hope we do it right: size, seating, amenities, flexibilty to name a few features. The Fargo Civic Center never reached to the level it should have.
WELL SAID BILLY JR+++++

Tatanka
07-03-2007, 09:58 PM
I just hope they remember the group that should be #1 in mind for any college sporting event -- the STUDENTS. Put them in prime seating, let them STAND and CHEER for their classmates, preferably without obstructing anyone's view.