PDA

View Full Version : Bison Men's Basketball Recruits

BisonMav
03-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Scott Theis 6'6", had a good season at Shakopee. Averaged over 18 points and 7 rebounds per game. Season highs of 34 points and 12 rebounds. He had 31 points and 10 rebounds against a very good Red Wing team.

NDSU_grad
03-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Have you heard of any other recruits, high schoolers or juco's? I would guess we don't have many scholarships since I think Tenbroek was the only senior.

BisonMav
03-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Have not heard of any other recruits. *With Tenbroek being the only Senior, you are probably right about scholarships. The D-I waiting period could also be reason.

Today Fargo Forum: "What we're finding is that our recruiting philosophy for forwards and centers won't change drastically. Big guys are big guys," Miles said. "What's going to be interesting are the guards. The guys who play guard and wing in Division I are very athletic. That will be a challenge." Not as challenging, perhaps, as overcoming the NCAA's 104-year waiting period shackled to basketball teams moving up to Division I. OK, it's not that long. It's only 13 years before a team is eligible to win a conference's automatic bid into the NCAA tournament.

BisonMav
04-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Has anyone heard if the Bison are looking at Franklyn Ferguson of Lake Region State College, Devils Lake. He is a 6'6" power forward, 23.6 ppg 9.0 rpg. Kentucky Wesleyan is supposedly looking at him. According to his bio, he would like to major in International Business or Industrial Engineering.

JACKGUY
04-11-2003, 05:48 PM
The Jacks have gotten verbal committments from two first team allstate high school players out of Iowa. Ben Beran 6'7 forward and Jake Wenig 6'5 Forward. Has anyone heard of additional players they are looking at as we aproaching signing day next week?

tony
04-11-2003, 06:33 PM
First of all, BisonMav, that is the a very cool icon you've got there. Damn, if it's public domain, I'm stealing it...

As for the Jackrabbit recruiting, all I can say is hats off to you guys for getting quality high schoolers to come in. I haven't heard anything on basketball recruiting this year though.

Charger
04-12-2003, 06:12 PM
I know we (SDSU) loose Austin Hansen, Sonny Walker, Stoebner, and Adam Robinson, but what about Cerveny and Schantz? *Are they filing for medical redshirt because of their injuries? *Does anyone know who else is filing for medical redshirt?

SDSUFAN
04-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Cervney and Schantz have filed for redshirts. I do not know if they have offically been approved. Jones playing as a true freshman does not need to apply for a medical, but just declared the 2002-3 season as being a redshirt one. There is one incident that is hanging out and that is the allegation of drug possession and parephanelia against Andy Moeller and Calvin Malaney. The last I heard there was another court continuence. *If these guys come away from a jury trial *with a conviction, I dont know if they will be back. I would hope SDSU would give them a second chance, especially since this incident apparently has issues. *Issues that would make their attorney to file for a jury trial.

I think we got a good recruiter in Troy Larson. He had a big part in recruiting at Morningside and knows his way around Iowa pretty good.
I don't think SDSU will come up short in terms of BB recruits.
I wish our football program was in the same competitive position as the Mens basketball.

purplemavfan
04-14-2003, 03:23 AM
SDSU Fan And Charger: I heard last winter that Matt Jones might not be back for the Jacks in 03-04; is there any basis to this to your knowledge?

SDSUFAN
04-14-2003, 04:23 AM
SDSU Fan And Charger: I heard last winter that Matt Jones might not be back for the Jacks in 03-04; is there any basis to this to your knowledge?

I dont know if this is an old rumor or a new rumor. I do know he was able to dress for the regional and was practicing towards the end of the season. Apparently he finally is getting back to full health. Other than that I know nothing about a transfer or not playing next year.

BisonMav
04-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Posted by: tony Posted on: Apr 11th, 2003, 12:33pm
First of all, BisonMav, that is the a very cool icon you've got there. Damn, if it's public domain, I'm stealing it...

It is not public domain, but the owner said I could use it. It is from a Ted Nugent "Great White Buffalo" site.

On the UND site they said Ferguson had visited NDSU.

BisonMav
04-17-2003, 12:29 PM
More basketball recruits. 8)

They signed 6-foot-6, 225-pound center David Erbes from the North Dakota State College of Science and 6-7, 240-pound forward Andrew Brown from Dickinson (N.D.) High School to letters of intent.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/cache/?id=31737

BisonMav
04-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Word out of Litchfield is John Carlson, 6'6", Litchfield, wanted to play basketball at St Cloud St where his brother plays. His dad, the Litchfield coach, told him stick to his committment to Notre Dame for football. There was a newspaper article that stated he would be able to try out for Notre Dame's Basketball team. I hope he does well at Notre Dame. It is good to see local players perform on the national level. If things don't work out, I am sure St Cloud will be waiting. NDSU will be out the NCC by then.

BisonMav
04-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Today's Fargo Forum:
North Dakota State University basketball signed Aaron Green, a junior college player out of Lake Land College in Mattoon, Ill., to a letter of intent Monday.

We are delighted to add Aaron to the Bison basketball program, said Bison head coach Tim Miles. He is a great fit and will fill an immediate need at the wing.

Green (6-foot-5, 210 pounds) averaged 17.8 points and eight rebounds per game as a sophomore, and 15 points and eight rebounds as a freshman.

That make four recruits so far.

Aaron Green 6-5, 210, 17.8 ppg, 8 rpg, Lake Land College, Mattoon, IL
Scott Theis 6-6, 18 ppg, 7 rpg, Shakopee, MN HS
David Erbes 6-6, 225, 21.2 ppg, 13.9 rpg, ND State College of Science
Andrew Brown 6-7, 230, Dickinson, ND HS

SDSUFAN
04-29-2003, 11:36 PM
I am a big Tim Miles fan and it looks like he will soon have his own team of his recruits. I look for the Bison to move up again next year in the standings. Miles did wonders at Southwest State and I think he is on is way of doing the same thing at NDSU. So good things will soon be happening with NDSU Men's basketball.

Charger
05-14-2003, 08:39 AM
I think we got a good recruiter in Troy Larson. He had a big part in recruiting at Morningside and knows his way around Iowa pretty good.
I don't think SDSU will come up short in terms of BB recruits.

SDSU has done has done great at recruiting Iowa this year. I was looking at IowaPreps.com and saw that all of SDSU's recruits were being recruited by DI schools like Drake, UNI, and Creighton. One kid was even recruited by Iowa State and some Ivy league schools. All four of the SDSU recruits were in the top 25 players of Iowa's class of 2003. Hopefully we can continue to beat out the Iowa DI schools for recruits in the future.

Schemer
05-15-2003, 03:13 AM
I don't know if I'd use the phrase "beat them out"

I would be willing to bet these kids were not offered a full ride to Iowa State....or Creighton. It was probably a partial scholarship or an opportunity to walk-on. SDSU would then seem very, very attractive. You can't honestly think that SDSU recruiting would beat out Iowa or Creighton night in and night out. Do you?

Charger
05-15-2003, 05:31 AM
Obviously I don't think they beat out Iowa State or Creighton. *I was thinking about Drake and UNI. *These are the programs the Jacks will be competing with in the future, not the major schools. I guess "beat out" was not the best choice of words. How about the Jacks are competing for recruits with Drake and UNI.

SDSUFAN
05-15-2003, 05:38 AM
Schemer:
I cannot speak for charger, but my answer to your question is NO.

I suspect what you provided as an explanation is more than likely accurate. I still think we got a good addition to the coaching staff in Troy Larson. Scott Nagy and Morgenthaler now at MSU-Mankato go back a long time and back to Champaign Ill where Nagy grew up. Morgenthaler recruited most of the guys like Cervney, Moeller Schantz, all from eastern Iowa. We lost not only a good assistant coach, when Morgenthaler went to Mankato, but a skilled recruiter. Troy Larson has filled that void and is totally supportive of what Nagy does. They work good together and Larson has found some good recruits, but no I dont think we beat out Iowa State, Drake and Creighton. Maybe in 10 years we might be able to do that, but not now.

BisonMav
05-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Humphries won't play at Duke
BY MIKE WELLS
Pioneer Press

Kris Humphries will not play basketball at Duke. The Blue Devils granted the Hopkins High School star a release from his letter of intent Monday.

"Kris wants the opportunity to play closer to home," Humphries' father, William, said.

With Humphries wanting to play in front of friends and family, it is possible he could end up at Minnesota. The Gophers, who have three scholarships available, are expected to pursue Humphries. Indiana and Iowa State also are believed to be in the running. Humphries chose Duke over the Gophers and Kansas last May.

"The University of Minnesota is a possibility," said William Humphries, a former Gophers football player. "We've chosen to allow Kris to decide what he wants to do. We'll be beside him no matter where he chooses to go. It's a tough decision."

William Humphries said there are plans to announce where Kris will attend school within the next week. Humphries, a McDonald's All-American and two-time Minnesota Associated Press player of the year, averaged 25 points and 12 rebounds a game and led Hopkins to a third-place finish in the Class AAAA state tournament this season.

Under national letter of intent rules, Humphries will lose one year of eligibility when he attends a different school. He can appeal to the NCAA to get that year back.

"He wants to be close to home, but he also wants the chance to play and get some touches," William Humphries said.

If Humphries, 6 feet 9, were declared eligible to play in the 2003-04 season, immediate playing time in the frontcourt likely would be available for him with the Gophers. Minnesota needs to make up for the loss of center Jerry Holman to graduation and forward Rick Rickert, who passed up his final two years of eligibility to enter the NBA draft. Michael Bauer and Jeff Hagen are the Gophers' only experienced returning frontcourt players.

Landing Humphries could help the Gophers make up for not getting two junior college forwards they sought during the spring signing period. Under NCAA rules, Gophers coach Dan Monson is not allowed to comment on recruits.

"I'm sure he's going to be weighing his options before he makes a decision," said Ken Novak, Humphries' coach at Hopkins. "I would love to see him in a Gopher uniform."

Had Humphries stayed at Duke, he would have been competing with four returning lettermen, including two former McDonald's All-Americans, for playing time in the frontcourt next season. One of the four is Nick Horvath of Shoreview. The Blue Devils also signed 6-8 forward Luol Deng, another McDonald's All-American, who with Humphries' withdrawal becomes Duke's only freshman recruit.

Humphries had considered declaring himself eligible for the NBA draft, but the deadline for doing so has passed. He has worked with former NBA players Trent Tucker and Chris Carr to improve his game.

It would be nice if the Bison even had a chance. Humphries will only be playing college ball one or two seasons. So you would think he would play at a top notch Division I school. If he has to sit out a year, would he even think of DII, just to keep playing. I am sure we will hear UND is being considered.

JBB
05-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Those were my thoughts exactly. *If he has to sit out a year he may prefer to move into D2. *But, since NDSU is in it's provisional year Im wondering if we would still be considered a D2 school?

Sid Hartman was saying his father has *a lot of influence and he would like to see him in a Gopher uniform. *Sid thinks its a lock for the Gophers, both in his transfer and getting the year sit out revoked.

Charger
05-20-2003, 07:02 PM
That would be great if NDSU or SDSU signed this kid, but I don't think he'll consider a DII school. Does he just loose a year of elgibility at the end of his college career, or does he have to sit out the first year? If he doesn't have to sit out the first year he can go to a Big Ten school, become a starter, and make an impact right away. Going to a DI school would help his draft status a lot more when he decides to move up. Look at how much more Beasley has had to prove since he came from a DII school. With Rickert gone I expect Humphries to choose Minnesota.

NDSBISON04
06-21-2003, 10:04 PM
IN 2002, Who was the Bison looking for??
guards?? forwards??
and who specifically who were they looking at for guards and other players?? Did Dobmeier have strong ties to a recruiter??

Bisonguy
06-27-2003, 05:05 AM
Myron Green, 6'4" 200lbs. PG, signed with the Bison today. I have no idea whether he has two or three years of eligibility left. He is the brother of Aaron Green, who also signed with the Bison this year. They are both from the same JUCO in Illinois, Lake Land College. This excerpt from their website:

This past season provided many highlights. The Lakers finished with a 15-17 record. Sophomore Aaron Green led the team is scoring with a 17.3 point average. Sophomore Myron Green was second with a 15.0 point average. Aaron Green also led the team in rebounds with an 8.0 average. Aaron Green was 49th in the nation in scoring. Aaron was also 49th in rebounding. James Johnson was 32nd in 3-point percentage, Myron Green was 49th. Michael Featherling was 11th in free-throw percentage.

NDSBISON04
07-01-2003, 09:58 PM
So looking at next year they got Nemmers running the point and Coco Cofield also in the backcourt. Aaron could probably help out at the small forward slot. Myron is probably a combination guard. I didn't think he was a point, I could see him playing a lot of 2 guard, but maybe he will be the point guard. Will Myron be getting a lot of minutes next year?? Which players in the backcourt should be regulars??