PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Hoops Poll

somebison
11-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Preseason poll is out.. men picked fourth

South Dakota Picked as Favorite in Men’s Basketball Media Poll
11/13/03 9:18
South Dakota edged South Dakota State by one point as the favored team to win the North Central Conference men’s basketball championship in a preseason poll of the media.

The Coyotes posted a 2002-03 record of 19-9 overall and 8-8 in the NCC before advancing to the Wells Fargo Finals.

South Dakota State, second in the media voting totals, finished second in the league race and reached the semifinals of the Wells Fargo Finals and the NCAA North Central Region tournament. SDSU has already posted a 3-0 record this season after sweeping through the Disney Tip-Off Classic.

Nineteen media members responded to the 28th annual poll. South Dakota was chosen as the champions by six of the poll participants, finished second on 12 ballots and fourth on one ballot. South Dakota State garnered 12 first-place votes and St. Cloud State was picked tops on one ballot.

Non-conference action continues November 15. Conference play opens Friday, January 9th.

Here are the selections with quotes from the responding media (with each pollster’s first and second place picks in parenthesis):

Jeff Fylling, KIKN, Sioux Falls (SDSU, USD) - “This was easy.”

Mick Hatten, St. Cloud Times (SDSU, USD) - “If the Jacks are healthy, they could contend for a national title. They will be the NCC’s deepest team.”

Kevin Culhane, Coyote Sports Network (USD, SDSU) - “Even though they are no longer rivals -- USD/SDSU will battle for the league title. Parity is the key word in the NCC this season!”

Rob White, Omaha World-Herald (SDSU, USD) - “SDSU and USD are loaded. UNO could finish in the top half if juco transfers are as good as expected.”

Tigh Lessman, Brookings Register (SDSU, USD) - “It looks to be a tough conference race again in the NCC.”

Joe VanGoor, Coyote Sports Network (SDSU, USD) - “Might as well make SDSU the favorite with the Big Move coming next year!”

Steve Carlson, Dakota News Network (USD, SDSU) - “The Coyotes and Jacks look the best of what should be a balanced league.”

Hod Nielsen, Yankton Press & Dakotan (USD, SCSU) - “There will be a lot of new faces but some fine teams.”

Bob “Duke” Deslauries, KCCR, Pierre (SDSU, USD) - “SDSU - Makes their last season a memorable one. USD - Right on their heels.”

John Berstrom, WDAZ-TV, Grand Forks (USD, SDSU) - “Boots has another strong team.”

Jeff Kolpack, Forum (SDSU, NDSU) - “The Rabbits are overloaded.”

Lane Grindle, Coyote Sports Network (USD, SDSU) - “Tough to not pick the Coyotes considering the amount of talent they have returning.”

Steve Imming, WNAX, Yankton (SDSU, USD) - “A healthy SDSU could be DI to beat unless a veteran-driven Coyote crew signals a u-turn.”

Scott Miller, WDAY-AM, Fargo (SDSU, USD) - “SDSU and USD are both loaded with talent this season, but I give the Jacks a slight edge. Once healthy, the much bigger Bison should also contend.”

Jay Caldwell, WJON, St. Cloud (SDSU, USD) - “SDSU looks tough and USD has a lot of people back.”

2003-2004 North Central Conference
Men’s Basketball Preseason Media Poll

Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Total
South Dakota 6 12 0 0 1 0 0 0 136
South Dakota State 12 4 0 1 1 0 1 0 135
St. Cloud State 1 2 8 5 3 0 0 0 107
North Dakota State 0 1 5 6 3 1 2 0 86
North Dakota 0 0 4 4 3 5 3 1 78
Nebraska-Omaha 0 0 2 1 7 8 1 0 71
Minnesota State 0 0 0 1 1 2 8 7 38
Augustana 0 0 0 1 0 3 4 11 33

Note: Points were awarded 8 for 1st, 7 for 2nd, etc.
-NCC-

D
11-13-2003, 10:41 PM
The media poll is pretty much completely wrong outside of the top 2. SDSU is the class of the league, they are huge, and the general consensus is that USD is pretty overrated, as they have two players and not much else. And one of them, Mueller, can play them into and out of games. The teams picked 6th and 7th will be more like 2nd-5th, as Omaha (Levy Jones) and Mankato (Kiekow and Staten) gained on everyone through their transfers. The media is vastly underrating them. Augie will be tough because Billiter can recruit the hell out of the JUCOs. The Broom kid they got to run the point was pretty sought after. St. Cloud will be way down. It may actually turn out that Augie. St. Cloud, UND, & NDSU are in a fight for 5th and lower. The Bison have size issues with every team in the league and the Sioux will struggle big time early with all the new players, chemistry, and not having Aaron Austin as expected. It will be interesting again, though, but an SDSU national championship isn't out of the question.

JACKGUY
11-13-2003, 11:24 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. While I think SDSU is clearly the class of the NCC and legitimately has a shot to win the whole thing (National Championship). We manhandled three pretty good teams in Orlando last week. I too am perplexed in why USD is being given so much adoration with what they have. Their backcourt is strong, but they have no inside game to speak of. I also think UNO is going to surprise some people as they led Creighton by 15 points in the second half and than ran out of gas and lost in overtime. Familiar with Levy Jones as I live in the Cities and think he will help them. I also think McKenna is one of the best coaches in the league. Mankato is another darkhorse and Margenthaler (former SDSU assistant is a great recruiter and I think with the transfers he has they will compete and surprise. Biliter will turn Augie around, but I think it won't happen this year. I don't know about NDSU this year being withnout Denver for the first time in a long while, they do look thin with big men. Some of last years transfers will need to step up. I also think St. Cloud and UND will struggle compared to where they have been at in the last few years and this will be a bit of a rebuilding year. It's a bid sad for this Jack fan that this will be our last year and I'm hopeful we will leave on top.