PDA

View Full Version : Big Time Basketball - McFeely

BisonMav
10-15-2003, 12:23 PM
You can read between the lines on this one by McFeely. Yesterday he stated he didn't think the Bison move to Divison I was a good move. Today's article is reality, but as he says, do you want a chance at the NCAA's or a Division II championship. I would take a NCAA tournament appearance any day. Maybe someday the Bison will make a run like Valpo or Gonzaga. He did focus on the one program that would have the biggest challenge competing in Division I.
McFeely (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=42148)

Bison_Kent
10-15-2003, 01:29 PM
I agree completely. Just making it to the big dance would be gravy for me. Even a conference championship game would be better then the DII tournament as that would be seen in primetime on ESPN.

89rabbit
10-15-2003, 03:44 PM
It took the nay sayers a little while to regroup after your HUGE win over Montana, but they are back. The article ticked me off a little. He talks about tiny Gonzaga, at least everyone has heard of Gonzaga. Did you know that Newberry existed before this year? How about someone a little closer to home Upper Iowa? Lets talk about tiny schools, that is what D II is going to be full of (if not already) in a few years.

I am confident that SDSU and NDSU are making the right moves and will SHOCK them again with our Basketball programs. We will be competitive with the Mid-Majors coming out of the blocks (I have seen UMKC, and some of the rest of the Mid. Con. play) and will give some of the bigger programs a run for their money.

I like you agree that being in D-I with a chance to play on ESPN every now and then and a shot at the big dance is better then being the D II champ that nobody knows. Don't forget there are also the Pre, and Post-season tourney (Great Alaskan, Nit, etc.) that we can also play in as we move up. As I have said before, don't worry about NDSU & SDSU we will be just fine! ;D

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

sausage
10-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Isn't McFeely a UND grad? Maybe not.
Regardless of the outcome of the game, watching the Bison at Carver-Hawkeye arena beats the hell out of watching the Herd at the (we have only 10 rows on both sides) Augie gym.
McFeely is just afraid, scared, mad, jealous, and very "Ed Shultz"like.
The Forum should put out posters with McFeely's mug on it with the caption "Fear has a New Face".

Ya 89rabbit, that article ticked me off, too!

JBB
10-15-2003, 06:31 PM
McFeely can be entertaining, but he is a D2 chump if he thinks the D2 championships mean anything outside of your own town. *NDSU has 8 or 9 of them in football alone and look what they have done for us? *Got the rules changed to make it harder and harder for us to win? Can McFeely name all the other D2 championships NDSU has won. Does he know about them? *

There is nothing to be gained by staying in D2. *Its going to feel a bit like we are on the outside looking in for the first few years, but we will eventually get accepted into our new divisions and find regular competition that will be every bit as good as the NCC and the rest of them. *

I do agree with him that the transition is going to be tough. *I think everyone acknowledged that. *Its going to be tough in all sports, but in 10 years the payoff will be clearly evident.

Its also ironic that there was so much of a hue and cry about travel costs. *The NCC is trying to attract another member, one that will probably require as much travel as UNC. *The D2 regional changes have also resulted in a lot more travel, about the same as NDSU going to Ca.

The NCC is remaining in D2 because of hockey. *There is money to send the hockey teams anywhere in the country. Cutbacks in D2 scholarship levels will be supported if not encouraged by the NCC members to free up money for hockey. *

It will go something like this: *A 10 scholarship cut will be presented. *The NCC will come out against with a big whine saying scholarships shouldnt be cut at all, but, if they must be cut we recommend a compromise of say 7. *They will look like the saviours of D2 and pocket a whole lot of change for hockey.

JACKGUY
10-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Very well put. I agree that nobody outside of the immediate insitiutions and its followers knows or cares about DII Championships. I also agree that whether the NCC is willing to admit it or not that hockey is the driving influence of all the remaining schools with the exception of USD and Augustana. I think both SDSU and NDSU will be very competitive in the majority of sports sooner than people think. The wait to compete for National titles will be difficult, but 10-15 years from now will either SDSU or NDSU regret this decision? No way!

NDSU_grad
10-15-2003, 06:55 PM
I think McFeely is actually a Moorhead St. grad of all things.

Tatanka
10-16-2003, 02:44 AM
And there you have it.

89rabbit
10-16-2003, 03:17 AM
LOL ;D

dnk
10-16-2003, 04:21 AM
Just curious. Has any NCC school made any big waves
on the nat'l scene in basketball, say in the last ten
years?.

89rabbit
10-16-2003, 05:17 AM
The Jackrabbit men have held the # 1 spot in the nation (preseason # 5 this year), and the SDSU Women are the Defending National Champions. *Is that what you are talking about?

Street & Smith NCAA Division II Preseason Top 10 *
1. Humboldt State *
2. Cal Poly Pomona *
3. Southern Indiana *
4. Tarleton State *
5. South Dakota State * ;D *
6. Rollins *
7. Cal State San Bernardino *
8. South Dakota * :P *
9. Kentucky Wesleyan *
10. Findlay *

Go SDSU!

wfduck
10-16-2003, 11:39 AM
I think McFeely is actually a Moorhead St. grad of all things.

i think we need to bombard the Forum wanting a D1 caliber columnist not a low tier D2 chump

dnk
10-16-2003, 03:25 PM
89r, I guess I was talking mens basketball..The NCC
is a competitive league but what is their record in
post season play? How many regional championships
etc. in the last ten years? I guess I could research it
but I thought if someone followed it more closely they would know. Thanks

89rabbit
10-16-2003, 08:33 PM
I was talking about mens basketball for the most part. *SDSU has been ranked # 1 in the nation on a couple of occasions in the last few years. *Last year rising as high as #2 before all the injuries hit us. *We are again ranked # 5 pre-season for this upcoming basketball season. *To me this is making "big waves" nationally, with 280 + schools playing basketball at the D II level. *

SDSU has:

1 National Championship
1 Runner-UP
23 NCAA Tournament Appearances (4th most all time).
20 NCC Championships

Very comprable to a D-I program not far from where I live now, the University of Kansas with ONLY 2 NCAA championships, but still considered a National power.

Since Coach Nagy took over SDSU's playoffs have gone this way:

'95-'96 North Central Regional Finals (loss to eventual National Champion Fort Hays St. 99-90)

'96-'97 Elite 8 (Beating #1 ranked and undeafeated, defending National Champion Ft. Hays St. Tigers for the North Central Regional Championship 86-74)

'97-'98 North Central Regional Finals (Loss by 6 points)

'99-'00 North Cental Regionals

'00-'01 North Central Regionals (Loss to eventual National Champion Metropolitan St. by 7 points)

'01-'02 North Central Regionals (Loss to eventual National Champion Metropolitan St. by 1 point)

'02-'03 North Central Regionals (Loss to evential North Central Regional Champion Nebraska-Kearney by 1 point). *

We have done ok, had some heart breakers to very good teams. * USD has also been strong these past 10 years (that is as close as I can come to saying somthing nice about the Coyotes) but one of thier fans will have to bring you up to speed. *NDSU and UND have also made the North Central Regionals. *I also seem to recall that Morningside made the Elite 8 before they dropped out of the NCC, but I am not sure how long ago that was. *Hope that helps. * :) *

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/VarsitySports/MensBasketball/History/Index.cfm

Go SDSU!

mustangfan
11-15-2003, 04:11 AM
Your wrong about 00-01. Southwest Minnesot State won the region and not Metro State. An NCC team hasn't won a region title since 1997. 1998 was Northern, 1999 and 2002 was Metro, Southwest in 2001, Metro in 2002 and Kearney in 2003. Two NSIC schools have won it since the last NCC team did

89rabbit
11-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Mustangfan,

I stand corrected. *See you next week in Mankato, I am sure you will get to see some Big Time Basketball then! *;) * :o * ;D *

Go Jackrabbits!

P.S. SDSU has:

1 National Championship
1 Runner-UP
23 NCAA Tournament Appearances (4th most all time).
20 NCC Championships

What you got?? :-*