PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs in 2009???????

Bisonguy
10-23-2003, 12:40 AM
The WDAY 6 O'clock news reported that the proposed legislation to reduce the playoff ineligiblity has passed the vote by the championship committee. If it passes the next vote by whoever, it will become a new rule change that the playoff ineligibility will only be five years for basketball, instead of thirteen.

It is expected that we should find out by the end of next week. This would be HUGE news for the BB teams.

Note: I might be off on what committee that already voted and I don't remember who the vote goes to next. Listen to the newscast if you want to know.

FargoFrank
11-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Interesting note I saw in the Salt Lake City paper (regarding new Div I Utah Valley State College):

" UVSC's biggest victory could come in January, when an NCAA legislative body is expected to modify a rule that says new Division I teams cannot participate in the NCAA Tournament in their first six years. At the request of Division I newcomer UC-Davis, which has joined the Big West, the panel may waive the waiting period for teams that are admitted to a conference.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Nov/11182003/sports/112072.asp

Keep our fingers crossed. I think conferences (Big Sky, Mid-Con...) will show a lot more interest if this indeed goes through.

somebison
11-18-2003, 06:24 PM
According the article, utah valley state is going from competing at the junior college level directly to division I, sounds a bit more difficult than our transition

Bison_Kent
11-18-2003, 06:29 PM
One thing that I notices was Utah Valley State is playing in a provisional tournament at the end of their season. I wonder who all will be in this. With UC-Davis, SDSU, this Utah Valley State, Northern Colorado, and NDSU all moving up or have moved up, I think that kind of tournament will be a good way to end the basketball season. There might be a few more DI upgrades as well that could be part of the tourny.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Gene Taylor talked about a transition tourney for BB last night. He talked about some of the provisionals and some schools from Florida that are in transition as possible participants. There's a good chance this might happen for other sports, as well.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Does anyone have any info. on Utah Valley State? They were a juco last year? Obviously they have become a four year institution. Did they upgrade their athletic programs to promote, and give some legitimacy to the new academic structure?

somebison
11-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have any info. on Utah Valley State? They were a juco last year? Obviously they have become a four year institution. Did they upgrade their athletic programs to promote, and give some legitimacy to the new academic structure?

I don't know when they became a four-year school, but they did compete in JUCO last year for athletics, and they had an article about how they were the first school to go straight from JUCO to D1. Also the school is pretty big, according to their website they have about 24,000 students.

tony
11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
I can't find out much about their athletics. They do have wrestling and they did jump straight from JUCO to DI.

They list their enrollment at over 20k with 16,000 full timers.

Bisonfan1234
11-22-2003, 05:26 AM
What the heck were they doing playing JUCO? They sound like a D1AA school to me.