PDA

View Full Version : New Recruit

Trainer
10-22-2003, 02:03 AM
6' 10 Tom Lunde from Ulen-Hitterdal High School, MN, has verbally committed to the Bison. Next in line.... Maybe his brother, Jon, who is 6' 6 sophomore on the Ulen-Hitterdal basketball team. Don't have any stats, but this kid received a few DI offers and a bunch of DII offers. And the best thing about Lunde is that his coach says he still is growing....

BisonFan
10-22-2003, 02:26 AM
I saw that on the news. Hopefully he can add a little meat to his frame and give the Bison a tough inside presence. In recent years, the Bison have lacked a true big man. Giacoletti (sp?) recruited that Greg Smith guy. That's the closest thing the Bison have had to a true big man in the last 7 years. As we all soon figured out, about the only thing Greg Smith could do well on the court was hit free throws better than the average big man.

BisonMav
10-22-2003, 04:44 AM
That's great news for the Bison! ;D

Trainer
10-26-2003, 12:57 PM
From the St. Paul Pioneer Press:
Point guard Ben Woodside, 5' 11", of Albert Lea, Minn., committed to North Dakota State, which moves up to NCAA Division I next season.

wfduck
10-26-2003, 06:24 PM
do we need more guards?

BisonWarrior
10-26-2003, 08:33 PM
I thought they were looking for more height.

tony
10-27-2003, 02:07 AM
From what I've read, Woodside is a DI-caliber player. Gotta get guys like that regardless of your short-term needs.

NDSU_grad
10-27-2003, 04:05 AM
We lost Nemmers, Cofield, and Witt this year so I think guards are definitely in order. And I agree with Tony; if you have a chance to get a good player go get him.

roadwarrior
10-27-2003, 04:32 AM
To clarify the above post, Nemmers, Cofield and Witt are seniors this year. So i agree, we need to add quality guards.

wfduck
10-27-2003, 07:05 PM
I wont argue about the need for backcourt help a couple years down the road. Just was hoping to hear about a signing of a big guy-

wfduck
10-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Last years roster had 2 red-shirt guards. So if they are still on the roster we are not hurting (numbers wise)in the backcourt.

BisonMav
10-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Nemmers has a stress fracture in his foot.

Sports forum: Bisons Nemmers breaks foot
Forum staff reports
The Forum - 10/29/2003

North Dakota State basketball guard Ben Nemmers, one of the teams best shooters and most experienced players, is sidelined indefinitely with a stress fracture in his foot.

Nemmers is sporting a walking cast and head coach Tim Miles said he was not sure when Nemmers will return.

It appears a return of 2-3 weeks is a best-case scenario.

The 5-foot-10 senior is a three-year starter. He averaged 12.6 points last year, including 52 percent from 3-point range, hitting 83 of 159 attempts.

He is also one of the team’s top free throw-shooters, making 34 of 39 last year for 87 percent.

NDSU_grad
10-29-2003, 02:35 PM
roadwarrior,
thanks for the clarification. I knew those guys were seniors this year. I should really read my posts first. I think the NCC is up for grabs this year. One of the suck's top recruits, Aaron Austin, left the team. I think they might be hurting this year.

Bisonguy
10-31-2003, 03:09 AM
From today's The Forum:

Fast-rising prep star picks Bison
By Jeff Kolpack
jkolpack@forumcomm.com
The Forum - 10/30/2003

Ben Woodside came into this summer a virtual unknown to most college basketball programs. By August, he was a hot prospect.

The 5-foot-11 senior guard from Albert Lea, Minn., verbally committed to North Dakota State. He said the fact NDSU is moving to Division I was a major reason for his decision.

“He’s got a lot to offer,” said Albert Lea High head coach Matt Addington. “Athletically and skill-wise, he’s ready to step right in and be a contributor right away.”

Woodside’s recruiting stock took a big jump over the summer when he played on an AAU team for the first time. He led the Minnesota Select team to the silver championship at the Kentucky Hoopfest and to a 4-1 record in the adidas Big Time Tournament in Las Vegas.

That caught the eye of North Carolina Wilmington, Wichita State, Illinois State, Missouri-Kansas City, Indiana State, Cal Poly and Minnesota, according to the College Basketball News.

“He came into this summer without a lot of hype and came out with a big exclamation point,” Addington said.

Woodside averaged 23.5 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists as a junior.

Bisonguy
11-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Three letters of intent announced today, Lunde, Woodside, and Michael Nelson from WI-Three Players Sign Letters of Intent to Play Basketball At North Dakota State (http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=781)

SDSUFAN
11-12-2003, 10:50 PM
roadwarrior,
thanks for the clarification. *I knew those guys were seniors this year. *I should really read my posts first. *I think the NCC is up for grabs this year. *One of the suck's top recruits, Aaron Austin, left the team. *I think they might be hurting this year.

First of all Congradulations to NDSU on their recruits so far. They look like the type needed to take the program to a higher level.

Whats with this Aaron Austin guy? *He was orginally recruited by Rasumessen out at UNC, and had a pretty good true freshman year. If I recall correctly he got pissed because UNC was not already D1 as Rasmussen allegdely promised. From Greely to Fergus Falls for a year of Juco and then on to UND where now quits again.
Whats with this guy? He has BB talent, but just does not want to be part of a team anywhere. *Thats my take.

I am not a UND LAKOTA FAN, but I have some respect for Rich Glas. I seen him sit Chad Mustard down at a game in Brookings where they had not beaten SDSU in the four years that Chad had been at UND. Chad's temper was about to go completely biserk and and good old Rich just put his arm around him and cooled him down. Apparently Glas was not able to handle the Austin Project. ;D

JACKGUY
11-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Does anyone know anything about Tom VerDouw from Bismarck who committed to Augie. Were either NDSU or UND interested in him? I've rarely seen a good North Dakota player leave the state for another NCC school. He is 6"8 and assume he has some talent.

wfduck
11-14-2003, 11:27 AM
He's a two time all-stater from Bismarck. Watched him play a couple of times. I would guess for personal reason he chose Auggie. Not convinced at this point he was a d1 player. More of a project for an NCC school.

BisonMav
12-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Fargo Forum
Minnesota Basketball News rankings listed Ben Woodside of Albert Lea as the state’s top-rated guard. This is promising news for North Dakota State, which signed the high school senior last month.

Woodside is getting a lot of praise in Minnesota.

EagleBison
03-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Back in the beginning. :)

First discussion on Woodside and the fab 5