PDA

View Full Version : NSIC Hoops

mustangfan
11-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Wow, Bemidji or UND, NOrthern over NDSU, Concordia over Augustana and Winona was up 9 with 5 minutes left over Omaha before blowing it!

Crookston women beat St. Cloud. The NSIC continues to get much, much better

89rabbit
11-16-2003, 07:15 AM
We will see how good the NSIC is next weekend in Mankato.

21st Minnesota-Duluth vs SDSU
22nd Southwest Minnesota State vs SDSU

Lets go Rabbits! 8)

mustangfan
11-16-2003, 02:25 PM
That will be tough. But that is just one team. SDSU is in another league it sounds like their so good.

I think the NSIC showed they can play a little basketball. But all you hear (from some idiot media people) that the NSIC is horrible. All I know, 5-10 years ago, those scores wouldn't happen or the NSIC winning two region title and NCC not having any in the last 6 years.

Fear the NSIC!

MN_BISONS
11-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Hey mustangfan, suffering from a little case of napoleon syndrome? I don't think anyone or at least most people on this board would suggest the NSIC is a poor basketball conference. They have been very competitive for years with the NCC teams. Basketball is a whole different animal when it comes to putting together a successful program. It's a numbers game really. A hoops team needs 5-7 good players but a football programs needs five times that. Northern, SW and even Moorhead back in the mid 90's have all had good basketball programs.

mustangfan
11-16-2003, 05:57 PM
your correct sorry. Just you hear more ripping at the NSIC than positive things. Your right about the players needed. I hope someday the NSIC will get more scholarship dollars. Can you imagine if that every happened? Two very good conference would be next door to each other

89rabbit
11-16-2003, 06:47 PM
I can see a day when many of the NSIC schools are in the NCC, or the two conf. become one.

NDSU_grad
11-17-2003, 02:39 PM
In NDSU's defense, I think Northern will be pretty good this year. I think the Bison will probably finish in the middle of the pack in the NCC, but with all the new faces they could come on strong at the end of the year.

D
11-17-2003, 08:02 PM
There is one glaring difference between the conferences from a basketball standpoint. NCC teams are larger in terms of height and weight across the board, which lends to more physical play. In the NSIC, the refs aren't as accepting (as both the Sioux and Bison can atest from Saturday as both lost big men and had more in foul trouble), and this leads to higher scoring in the NSIC. Their games there are much higher tempo, whereas the NCC is a half-court league. There is a trend in interconference games between the two that seems to have wins going to the home team, and I would attribute that to the way the games are called.

mustangfan
11-18-2003, 12:11 AM
D you may have a point. At Southwest Chad Koenen at 6'10 was always getting cheap fouls, etc.

But you should know, officials do both the NCC and NSIC. They almost all ref both leagues so that shouldn't be a factor

GFBisonFan
11-18-2003, 10:15 PM
I hope someday the NSIC will get more scholarship dollars. *Can you imagine if that every happened?

Actually what will happen is that the remainder of Division II will have their scholarships limited due to pressure from the influx of small schools into DII, thus evening the field. A big reason why NDSU is leaving, a general watering down of the field.

mustangfan
11-20-2003, 05:04 AM
Isn't that what NDSU is doing? Watering down D1 by moving up. You think anyone in D1 want's NDSU or even cares. I don't care if it waters down D2. It makes it exciting to watch the games when things are fair. I don't think and I hope they don't lower the 36 full rides in football or 10 in hoops. These lower D2's should try and get up to those numbers

dnk
11-20-2003, 05:17 AM
Did I hear that right,, Mary over the Sioux by 30!!.

BisonMav
11-20-2003, 12:43 PM
It was by 32... The schools that once were thought of as sure wins, are catching up to former Divison II powers. The Bison should learn from UND's experience, you can't take anyone for granted this year. You have to bring you best game every night.

JBB
11-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Im not exactly sure what mustangfan means when he says NDSU is watering down DI. It may be true that they arent waiting expectantly by the door for us, but we fully intend to comply with all the rules and not bring an influence that would change scholarship levels or otherwise limit competition.

BisonMav
11-20-2003, 01:41 PM
mustangfan
Isn't that what NDSU is doing? Watering down D1 by moving up. You think anyone in D1 want's NDSU or even cares. I don't care if it waters down D2. It makes it exciting to watch the games when things are fair. I don't think and I hope they don't lower the 36 full rides in football or 10 in hoops. These lower D2's should try and get up to those numbers

NDSU isn't going into Division I and asking everyone to reduce the number of scholarships. The trend in Division II has been to keep adding schools that have less funding than most NCC and even NSIC schools. They then vote for proposals that reduce scholarships, and benefit themselves, the small schools. Not too many years ago Division II had over 40 scholarships. The trend has been downward in recent years. If NDSU were to enter Division I and start pushing for a reduction in scholarships, then I would say NDSU is watering down Division I. That's the way I see it.

89rabbit
11-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Wow, Bemidji or UND, NOrthern over NDSU, Concordia over Augustana and Winona was up 9 with 5 minutes left over Omaha before blowing it! *

Crookston women beat St. Cloud. *The NSIC continues to get much, much better

SDSU 102
UMD 84

One down one to go at the Pepsi Tip-off. Bring on the Mustangs! 8)

Go Jackrabbits!

JACKGUY
11-22-2003, 03:29 AM
Amen. I agree the NSIC has gotten better and has some solid teams, howould I would be surprised if the Jacks lose to an NSIC foe.

89rabbit
11-22-2003, 07:09 AM
Minnesota State-Mankato 96
Southwest Minnesota State 86

SDSUFAN
11-22-2003, 02:21 PM
Isn't that what NDSU is doing? *Watering down D1 by moving up. *You think anyone in D1 want's NDSU or even cares. *I don't care if it waters down D2. *It makes it exciting to watch the games when things are fair. *I don't think and I hope they don't lower the 36 full rides in football or 10 in hoops. *These lower D2's should try and get up to those numbers

This observation is truly amusing and nothing else. *Judging by the scheduling done so far by NDSU and SDSU in all sports, there are apparently schools that do want to play both and will pay guarentees besides.
SDSU wrestlers lost a close dual to Princeton 24-18 and we are in a rebuilding stage in wrestling this year. *I believe SDSU and NDSU are going to improve D1. *In various sports both institutions have had D1 programs, but scholarship limits have been the big stopper in going to the next level and enhencing current programs. The move to D1, allows both NDSU UNC and SDSU room to grow in quality programs. *Its kind of like *a company outgrowing an office building.

Granted the NSIC is making strides in trying to catch up with the NCC. I rank Winona State's football team as one of the best I seen this fall, but will they be able to come to Brookings and kick a@@ with the loss of 19 out of 22 starters due to graduation.\

Since Tim Miles moved on to Fargo and NDSU and the Koenen brothers have graduated, I have seen much to cheer about in Marshall. I believe your current coach has a losing record. Again those spurts of quality need to be continuous over a period of time to gain respect and maybe that applies to the entire NSIC for all sports.

89rabbit
11-22-2003, 03:31 PM
What he said! Nice post SDSUFAN! :D

Go State!

JBB
11-22-2003, 05:33 PM
do you guys have another powerhouse? NDSU lost last night to Northern Mich. Im not sure we are at full strength yet, but the start isnt promising.

wfduck
11-22-2003, 08:30 PM
do you guys have another powerhouse? *NDSU lost last night to Northern Mich. *Im not sure we are at full strength yet, but the start isnt promising.

My gut feeling is this is going to be a long tough season for SU mens BB. The start has done nothing to change my mind. We were weak in the middle to begin with. And now with Nemmers/Dobmeier ailing our backcourt depth is depleted. *:-/

where have you gon Ty Terry? (i know he's at VCSU) sure wish you were still here

89rabbit
11-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Oh my, at the half SDSU 51 Southwest Minnesota State 28. :o ;D :o Everyone gets to play!

Go Jacks!

89rabbit
11-22-2003, 10:50 PM
*SDSU is in another league it sounds like their so good.

I think the NSIC showed they can play a little basketball. *But all you hear (from some idiot media people) that the NSIC is horrible. *All I know, 5-10 years ago, those scores wouldn't happen or the NSIC winning two region title and NCC not having any in the last 6 years.

Fear the NSIC!

I agree that SDSU is in another league (that is why NDSU and SDSU are moving to D-I), as for the rest . . . ???

Final Score:

SDSU 95

Southwest Minnesota St. 63

Fear the Jacks! 8)

mustangfan
11-23-2003, 03:27 AM
Wrong, under our new coach We were 21-8 and 17-11, far from losing record at SMSU.

From what I've heard and now seen. SDSU is in another league. They can compete for a national title. They've got it all. Inside and outside game. and good defense. The Jacks are legit and the real deal, etc.

I can't explain anything else. Hats off

89rabbit
11-23-2003, 04:08 AM
Props to mustangfan, you showed up right away and with a *classy post. *You can dish it and take it. *Good for you. *Good Luck to your Stangs the rest of the way.

Go State!

mustangfan
11-23-2003, 04:59 AM
My thing, I think USD will be good, but how can the media (I believe on the NCC poll?) not pick SDSU to win it? I suppose no one knew how good these freshmen were

SDSUFAN
11-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Mustangfan:

Sorry about the coaches record. I should have check first, but without Koenens, there is something lacking.
At least Hulesbus, from White SD gets to play at Southwest State, I doubt he would have at SDSU only 23 miles away.

mustangfan
11-24-2003, 04:05 AM
Your right, about Hulsebus. He came to SMSU after playing at Dakota State for two years. He's a solid player at times. We have finished 3rd and 2nd in the NSIC the last two years. I think we'll be fine. A fairly young team right now.

purplemavfan
11-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Mustang Fan--I saw the MSU-SW State game Friday, and the Mustangs will be allright....that big # 42 is quite a player inside, and the team itself never gives up. My guess is they will be in the top four of the NSIC. I hope SWSU hires a new football coach that can get your football program going in the right direction again.

JACKGUY
11-24-2003, 04:42 PM
PurplemavFan- I came down and watched the Jacks play both afternoons. I did not see the Mavs play but predict they will be better than the so called experts are forcasting. How do you think the Mavs and Jacks will stack up against each other?

mustangfan
11-26-2003, 01:57 PM
PurpleMavGuy. Thanks for the note. I think SMSU will be alright and I pray we get a good football coach.

I see Winona took it to Mankato on Tuesday night. The NSIC is tough this year and should be a great race, much like the NCC.

The Bison will get it together

purplemavfan
11-29-2003, 01:42 AM
Jackguy and Mustang Fan----based on what I saw vs. SW State, and the win over UMD Saturday night, the Mavs should be somewhat better than 7th I think. My impression is that we may give the Jacks a good run at Mankato, but probably lose, and then lose soundly at Brookings. SDSU has so much depth and talent it is difficult to see anyone beating them this year in the league. I like the fact the Coach Margenthaler has added Austin Hanson to our staff, to go with Mr. Schott. I've admired Coach Nagy's philosophy for years, and this is what we need to turn things around at MSU. Mustang Fan, you are absolutely right in that we got beat soundly Tuesday at Winona; after being down only two at halftime. They will be tough in the NSIC. I foresee an eventual merger between the NSIC and the NCC, particularly if North Dakota leaves for division I.

BisonMav
11-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Mustangfan: Congrats on the win against UND last night.

mustangfan
11-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Thanks, it was a fun game. Great comeback. How about Winona beating Metro State last night! My gosh!

BisonMav
11-29-2003, 09:36 PM
If not for SDSU in hoops, it would be the year of the Northern Sun.

JACKGUY
12-02-2003, 07:30 PM
SDSU 3 NSIC 0. We have always tough Northern at Frost Arena on Sat night, Concordia St Paul next Tuesday and Winona over the Christmas Holiday in Brookings.

nsufan
12-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Hey Jackguy!

Good luck this weekend although I doubt your going to need it - you have an awesome team. With this team you are not going to have any problem stepping up to D1. Jones could play on just about any D1 team he wanted to and you have some great new freshman additions.

NSU has a decent team this year but I really feel the next 2 years are going to be their best years. Our biggest problem has been rebounding (SDSU's strength). We're not very big but we do have 6'9" & 7' redshirts this year.

It will be kind of sad seeing you leave though, the rivalry been a good one. Northern-SDSU in Aberdeen is always our highest attendance.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
12-03-2003, 03:15 PM
nsufan,
I think this "new" rivalry will continue for awhile, SDSU can schedule D2 teams in the early season, and I think that the NSU-SDSU game may become the big interstate rivalry game due to USD's decision not to continue to play STATE U. Your program is always quality.

JACKGUY
12-03-2003, 03:29 PM
I agree. NSU always has competitive teams and whether its in Aberdeen or Brookings its going to be a hard fought contest. I also think Northern will continue to be on our schedule although it will most likely always be in Brookings from here on out with our move up to DI and difficulty scheduling home games against DI foes.

BisonMav
12-03-2003, 03:39 PM
What do you know about Bemidji. The Bison play them on Friday night. They look like a different team this year(better). They also Beat UND earlier before losing to SDSU and USD.

nsufan
12-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Lot's of JUCO's, they run, full court press and they haven't seen a three point shot that they don't like.

BisonMav
12-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Lot's of JUCO's, they run, full court press and they haven't seen a three point shot that they don't like.
Sounds entertaining.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
12-03-2003, 06:22 PM
BSU runs and guns. I saw them play SDSU (they lost by 11 but it wasnt that close). I thought they were very good. they were 14/31 on 3 pt. shots. IMO they should be in the national top 25 all year. Overall, I would say they will be a tough opponent.

BisonMav
12-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Looking at their roster, they have very few local kids.
The Bison could use a win, and this would be a quality win.

JACKGUY
12-03-2003, 07:18 PM
I too saw them play in Brookings and they pose a lot of problems. NDSU will need a great effort to win as they don't quit.

mustangfan
12-05-2003, 12:24 AM
Bemidji is a dangerous team. They are a streaky team but if NDSU plays their game, they'll win. They are at home. If the game was at BSU then a toss up. Anytime on the road is a real test.

I'm looking forward to this weekend for SMSU fans. Winona, USD and Augie men coming in for classic. SMSU, Augie, USD and Duluth in the women.

Great classic!

89rabbit
12-07-2003, 03:41 AM
Final Score SDSU 96 Northern State 57! Oh my! :o

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

somebison
12-07-2003, 03:59 AM
looks like the jack's are pretty tough.. at least we beat bemidji last night.

BisonMav
12-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Good Game against Bemidji. Nice rotations at guard and Center. The Green brothers are small, but can jump, and play like 6'8" instead of 6'3". May has a nice shooting touch down low. Cofield is a stud. The whole team works real hard. Bemidji got close a couple of times, but the Bison made the important shots. They won't be as bad as their O-5 start once the NCC starts.

NDSU_grad
12-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Can we defer against SDSU? Thank God we beat them in football.

wfduck
12-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Good Game against Bemidji. *Nice rotations at guard and Center. *The Green brothers are small, but can jump, and play like 6'8" instead of 6'3". *May has a nice shooting touch down low. *Cofield is a stud. *The whole team works real hard. *Bemidji got close a couple of times, but the Bison made the important shots. *They won't be as bad as their O-5 start once the NCC starts.

i know i'm pretty presimistic....but Bemidji ain't no SDSU or USD. but it does give us a glimmer of hope

BisonMav
12-08-2003, 12:40 PM
i know i'm pretty presimistic....but Bemidji ain't no SDSU or USD. but it does give us a glimmer of hope

SDSU is in another league.

Bemidji didn't get blown out by SDSU and USD.
USD 88 BSU 79
SDSU 96 BSU 85
UND 85 BSU 87
NDSU 81 BSU 68

JBB
12-08-2003, 03:40 PM
The win over Bemidji was certainly a step in the right direction. I think the SDSU win over NSU was also impressive. SDSU is really rolling. NDSU is hopeing to get their game on track before the conference starts. I think the BISON have shown us a few things. The close loss against Cal Poly was a good sign too.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
12-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Bison Fans,
I know the Bison havent gotten off to the best start, but I have a feeling that once the conference starts all will be fine. and when SDSU comes to town it will be a war-It always is, NDSU and UND for that matter always step up, despite the records, and compete and often get a win. The ND road trip is always one I dread. This years Jacks team is "freaky" good but IMO we will have to play a very good game(s) to get wins in North Dakota this year.

D
12-08-2003, 06:46 PM
As far as Bemidji goes, they are tough. The only thing with them is that they live and die by the three which is always dangerous, but still a good win for the Bison. And the road trip through ND just got a bit wasier as it looks that UND's best player, Keith Parks, is out for the year with a knee injury. He's a great player who SDSU and everyone elde was after. Tough year ahead.

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2003, 09:04 PM
I don't know, but from what I have read it seems that both the Bison and the Sioux are in the BB hurt bag. We have a lot of work to do before we care competative in a D1A BB conference. I know we can get to that level, but I think today it is a ways off.

IowaBison
12-08-2003, 09:25 PM
We can if we want to, it's going to take a serious financial commitment from the teammakers to (1) develop the team (2) develop/get the coach (3) remodel/redo the arena (4) build a real tradition.

BisonMav
12-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Next up on the NSIC tour is Crookston.
Crookston is having trouble winning also.
Hope that is good news for the Bison.

somebison
12-11-2003, 03:37 AM
Bison men beat UM-Crookston 87-80 thats 2 in a row!!

JACKGUY
12-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Jacks complete the sweep of the NSIC with 102-65 win over Winona State. Jacks Best player Matt Jones did not play due to illness. OH MY! Bring on the conference games!

somebison
12-31-2003, 03:22 AM
Bison down Northern by 18... bison shot over 70% in the first half and one of the greens (i can't tell them apart) was 8/8 with 17 pts in the first half... with a win over mayville tomorrow we will even up the record at 6-6