PDA

View Full Version : Wow!  The scores!

mustangfan
12-14-2003, 04:01 AM
I haven't written in a while, what a job again by the NSIC, Duluth, Northern and Moorhead all win in men's play over the NCC in one night! Wayne beat Omaha two nights ago

How about Concordia and Winona State sweeping SDSU!! Oh my!!

The NSIC continues to come on. The RMAC schools should just stay home and have an NCC and NSIC regional

JBB
12-15-2003, 12:10 PM
No doubt its all NSIC right now. I was watching Ganzaga and Missouri on Saturday. Missouri was #3 in the country until Ganzaga knocked them off. Ganzaga is in the Mid Con, a league NDSU would like to join. Its going to be a high hill to climb. I wonder if we could even win a game in that league right now? Anyway, it looks like the NSIC is in the drivers seat when it comes to BB.

mustangfan
12-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Gonzaga is acutally in the West Coast Conference. Not the Mid-Con.

Here is the Mid-Con men's basketball standings as of Dec. 13

Centenary 0-0 5-2
IUPUI 0-0 4-2
Oral Roberts 0-0 4-4
Oakland 0-0 4-5
UMKC 0-0 3-4
Southern Utah 0-0 2-4
Valparaiso 0-0 2-5
Chicago State 0-0 1-6
Western Illinois 0-0 0-8

I think NDSU going D1 is a good move, but darn, I look at these teams for hoops and go YUK!!! Are college fans around the country going to look at NDSU like these teams? If they do that's not good. Because the average fan thinks most of these teams are a joke

JBB
12-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Yes, your right! I feel a little better now 8). I had them confused with Valpo.

BisonMav
12-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Here is the Mid-Con men's basketball standings as of Dec. 13

Centenary 0-0 5-2
IUPUI 0-0 4-2
Oral Roberts 0-0 4-4
Oakland 0-0 4-5
UMKC 0-0 3-4
Southern Utah 0-0 2-4
Valparaiso 0-0 2-5
Chicago State 0-0 1-6
Western Illinois 0-0 0-8

I think NDSU going D1 is a good move, but darn, I look at these teams for hoops and go YUK!!! Are college fans around the country going to look at NDSU like these teams? If they do that's not good. Because the average fan thinks most of these teams are a joke
Centenary, ORU and Valpo have had some good years. There are a lot of people that live in the NCC area, that don't know anything about the NCC, but they have heard of Valpo. Even a lot of St Cloud grads only care about Hockey.

D
12-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Centenary, ORU and Valpo have had some good years. * There are a lot of people that live in the NCC area, that don't know anything about the NCC, but they have heard of Valpo. *Even a lot of St Cloud grads only care about Hockey. *

Centenary has been one of the WORST programs in the country for 25 years.

BisonMav
12-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Centenary has been one of the WORST programs in the country for 25 years.
I didn't say in the last 25 years.
Robert Parish, ever heard of him?

D
12-15-2003, 08:02 PM
I didn't say in the last 25 years.
Robert Parrish, ever heard of him?

Yeah, Army and Navy used to be two of the best football teams in the country, but you didn't hear people in Conference USA saying, "Yeah, we have Army."

somebison
12-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Yeah, Army and Navy used to be two of the best football teams in the country, but you didn't hear people in Conference USA saying, "Yeah, we have Army."

That is because Army is leaving C-USA

BisonMav
12-15-2003, 08:10 PM

Was Army good 27 years ago?

D
12-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Was Army good 27 years ago?

Not the point (& they went to 3 bowls in the 80's and 1 in the 90's). You don't justify a conferences strength by listing a team that was good a generation or two ago. Because the Seattle Supersonics were good in the late-70's doesn't make me think the NBA's Pacific Division is any better.

BisonMav
12-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Not the point (& they went to 3 bowls in the 80's and 1 in the 90's). *You don't justify a conferences strength by listing a team that was good a generation or two ago. *Because the Seattle Supersonics were good in the late-70's doesn't make me think the NBA's Pacific Division is any better.

I didn't say anything about conference strength. I said certain schools have had some good years. I did say Valo is a more recognizable name than the NCC to a majority of basketball fans in the most of the NCC area.

Bisonfan1234
12-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Our best bet for a basketball conference is the mid-con.

I look at the NSIC and go "YUK".

The mid-con is not that bad in bball, the scores reflect that. Oakland destroyed Texas A&M (the big one) by 30 points.

mustangfan
12-15-2003, 11:58 PM
In general the Mid-Con is not a good league. KNOW ONE in D1 talks about the Mid-Con. The average fan couldn't name 2 teams. If NDSU got in the Big Sky that would've been good, but Mid-Con? You can't justify to me that your excited about the Mid-Con and can say people care about that conference.

NSIC Yuk? I think NDSU would like to be in that league right now in basketball.

BisonMav
12-16-2003, 12:12 AM
In general the Mid-Con is not a good league. *KNOW ONE in D1 talks about the Mid-Con. *The average fan couldn't name 2 teams. *If NDSU got in the Big Sky that would've been good, but Mid-Con? *You can't justify to me that your excited about the Mid-Con and can say people care about that conference.

NSIC Yuk? *I think NDSU would like to be in that league right now in basketball. *
Don't kid yourself, NDSU would not want to be in the NSIC. The NSIC is a competitive league, but still Division II. Basketball will be the toughest sport to compete with Divison I level schools. Out of about 50 people I work with that know basketball, probably 5 would know anything about NSIC or NCC basketball. All have heard of Valpo. The Mid-Con may not be the first choice, but they are a conference. There is room for the conference to grow. You have to start somewhere.

D
12-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Our best bet for a basketball conference is the mid-con.

I look at the NSIC and go "YUK".

The mid-con is not that bad in bball, the scores reflect that. Oakland destroyed Texas A&M (the big one) by 30 points.

Once again, the Big Sky is rated higher than the Mid-Con year in and year out, and the Mid-Con got worse by adding Centenary, so to say the Mid-Con has better basketball than the Big Sky shows your knowledge. And it isn't too terribly amazing to beat A & M, it isn't football, and they and Baylor are the two worst basketball schools the last 5 years in the Big 12.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
12-16-2003, 12:36 AM
For the record, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi beat Texas A&M (the big one) a couple nights ago. Texas A&M isnt even a top 3 or 4 NCC team this year... Baylors no better.

mustangfan
12-16-2003, 01:12 AM
Yeah, ask Tom Billeter about A& M

JBB
12-16-2003, 12:34 PM
I agree 100% BisonMav. Its a place to start. The cities in the league would be fun to visit and Im sure it has all the competition we can handle. Im also positive that it gets a lot more coverage nationally than the NSIC or even the NCC.

Bisonfan1234
12-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Once again, the Big Sky is rated higher than the Mid-Con year in and year out, and the Mid-Con got worse by adding Centenary, so to say the Mid-Con has better basketball than the Big Sky shows your knowledge. *And it isn't too terribly amazing to beat A & M, it isn't football, and they and Baylor are the two worst basketball schools the last 5 years in the Big 12.

Mid-con had a better RPI than Big Sky the last 2 years.

D
12-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Mid-con had a better RPI than Big Sky the last 2 years.

1) Until a week or 2 ago, you had no clue what the RPI was until I told you,
2)How about the minimum 8 before that, and adding Centenary will hurt it big time.

huskies679
12-16-2003, 10:01 PM
MustangFan- the NSIC is improving, but the NCC is still dominating the NSIC. The NCC record for mens basketball against the NSIC so far is 24 wins 9 loses. Last year the NCC went 27-4.

Bisonfan1234
12-16-2003, 10:28 PM
1) Until a week or 2 ago, you had no clue what the RPI was until I told you,
2)How about the minimum 8 before that, and adding Centenary will hurt it big time.

1) So? I can still use the RPI in my arguments.
2) The past is the past. This is the present. Who knows what will happen. But based on the recent past, the Mid Con will have no problems.

mustangfan
12-17-2003, 03:12 AM
I did check the NCC web site, NSIC has ten wins agains the NCC. But that is an improvement over previous years. And again, the NCC should dominate. They have tons more scholarship money. I guess a big difference is the close games with NSIC and NCC games. Concordia, losing to SDSU and OMaha by one point. Wayne State losing to St. Cloud on a last second shot. Winona State up 9 with six minutes left and lost to Omaha. Then WSU and UMD both beat Metro State.

Yes, the NCC is better top to bottom. But getting better. Crookston does not help the league

89rabbit
12-17-2003, 05:40 AM
I did check the NCC web site, NSIC has ten wins agains the NCC. *But that is an improvement over previous years. *And again, the NCC should dominate. *They have tons more scholarship money. *I guess a big difference is the close games with NSIC and NCC games. *Concordia, losing to SDSU and OMaha by one point. *Wayne State losing to St. Cloud on a last second shot. *Winona State up 9 with six minutes left and lost to Omaha. *Then WSU and UMD both beat Metro State.

Yes, the NCC is better top to bottom. *But getting better. *Crookston does not help the league

Speaking for just the Jacks. Come now mustangfan, one off night by the Rabbits does not make the NSIC a new powerhouse Conf. (especially when on that off night we still won). We are 11-0, 5-0 against the NSIC. Our avg. margin of victory for those five games is 20.2 :o. That is Big Time. You guys are getting a lot better but you still are not at our (the NCC) level.

Go SDSU!

nsufan
12-17-2003, 03:38 PM
I agree rabbit. As of yesterday the NCC men have won 26 out of 38 vs. NSIC teams (68%). The NSIC women are doing a little better, but the NCC women have won 19 out of 35 (54%). The gap is narrowing a little more each year and will continue to do so especially with SDSU leaving next year.

It was probably hard for State to get up to play Concordia when they only had 1 win on the year.

With the team you have this year, I think you'll have plenty of 20 point wins even in your own league!

JACKGUY
12-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Jacks have one NSIC opponent left on the schedule and that is Winona which has already lost to NCC teams UNO,Mn State and USD. I think the Jacks last big test before conference play is Michigan Tech on the road.

mustangfan
12-18-2003, 01:54 AM
Of course, Concordia almost beating SDSU does not make the NSIC that much better towards the NCC, I"m looking at all the games and it is true the league is getting better and the facts prove it.

As for Winona State. They BEAT Minnesota State by about 25 points and they lost to UNO by a few points after being up 9 with six left. As for SDSU not being ready for Concordia? I suppose that is true. but Concordia was up 12 I think at UNO with about ten to go, so they really aren't that good or maybe UNO isn't that good.

Also, when you have the fact about the NCC women winning 54 percent of the games against the NSIC? Is that really amazing? Whould've of thought that 5 years ago? Heck, even 3? What the NSIC is doing with the money it has is simply outstanding in the best region in the country.

Again, the NCC is great. But you know who we should be ripping? It is the RMAC? They should be lucky to get more than one team in the regional in March. FOR SURE the women's side.

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2003, 05:54 PM
This BB season is giving me a headache.... ???

JACKGUY
12-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Sounds like the headache I had during the tough part of of our football schedule. Look at the bright side the conference season hasn't even started!

JACKGUY
12-19-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm looking forward to Winona State on December 28th at Frost to complete the NSIC sweep!

mustangfan
12-20-2003, 06:07 AM
SDSU at home, I'm sure they'll win. Good thing it's not at Winona. Just ask the Jack women. Or the last time SDSU men played at WSU

89rabbit
12-20-2003, 06:30 PM
SDSU at home, I'm sure they'll win. *Good thing it's not at Winona. *Just ask the Jack women. *Or the last time SDSU men played at WSU

Dude you are strating to sound like a tag along little brother. ::)

Go SDSU!

P.S. Jackrabbits 95 - Mustangs 63. :o

mustangfan
12-20-2003, 08:42 PM
The point I was making was the NSIC is getting better. Dude, SDSU beat Concordia, by one point!

SDSU is great, I'm not saying there not. THEY HAVE TO win a region title this year or the season is worthless. Since SDSU won the region in 1997, NSIC has won 2 and the NCC 0!

89rabbit
12-20-2003, 11:07 PM
I will go you one better, how many National Championships for the NSIC? *

mustangfan
12-21-2003, 05:35 AM
The NSIC has been D2 since 1996!! Come on!. Look at volleyball, Concordia was in the national championship match, not bad.

Anyways, SMSU 84, St. Cloud State 70 tonight in men's hoops. Solid win for the Mustangs. Played withouth their best player in Elijah Starzl, leading rebounder and second leading scorer and still earned the win. Carlson and Miller played 40 minutes each tonight. They are warriors for the Huskies

JBB
12-21-2003, 01:35 PM
NDSU Men Handled Concordia last night by about 10, The women put Crookston away.

mustangfan
12-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Crookston losing to NDSU by four. That is amazing to me the job the Crookston coach is doing. I think they've loss to UND and NDSU by like four and six points. I think they have about 3 full rides. He needs to get a better job someday.

Is that women's player from NDSU out for the year?

JBB
12-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Johnson gets an MRI Tom. but she could be lost for the season. The Fargo Forum acknowledges the growing strength of the NSIC. Its obvious unless the NCC is slipping, but they still have a ways to go.

89rabbit
12-21-2003, 05:27 PM
The NSIC has been D2 since 1996!! Come on!. *Look at volleyball, Concordia was in the national championship match, not bad.

Anyways, SMSU 84, St. Cloud State 70 tonight in men's hoops. *Solid win for the Mustangs. *Played withouth their best player in Elijah Starzl, leading rebounder and second leading scorer and still earned the win. *Carlson and Miller played 40 minutes each tonight. *They are warriors for the Huskies

Mustangfan,

I was talking about Men's Basketball. *You said that if SDSU (or the NCC) didn't win the Regionals then the season is "worthless". *With that logic in mind, lets take the argument *to it's natural conclusion and say that if you don't win the National Championship then the season is "worthless" *(not my opinion, but for the sake of your argument we will go with it). *So my question is how many "non-worthless" seasons has the NSIC had in Mens Basketball?

Again, I will give you guys your due and say that you are getting better. *Your member school's Alumni and friends need to step up to the plate and fully fund your programs. *However some close games and an improved winning % does not make you are our *equal.

You also need to give us (SDSU and the NCC) our due (and not in a backhanded kind of way. . . "Good thing it's not at Winona" yea right. *::)). *We are and have been the dominate D-II Conf. in the Upper Mid-West. *We are and have been one of the dominate D-II Conf. in the nation for some time. *SDSU is one game away from a sweep of the NSIC teams that we played (5-0 with and avg. margin of victory of 20.2) *

Go Jackrabbits!

SDSU 95 SMSU 63

mustangfan
12-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Never said equal. NEVER said that. Getting better is my point.

The NCC is one of the best in the country. Won't be for long with with SDSU, NDSU and UNC now leaving the league. It is one of the best leagues in the country, but it is also one of the most funded leagues in the country, so the NCC should be strong.

That isn't a knock, not at all, because the rest of the D2 leagues wishes they had that much money. I'm sorry if I my worthless comment was taken wrong. I meant, I believe SDSU is in a class by itself this year and it would be a huge disapointment (I think) if they didn't win the region

But enough of this, I 'll move onto something else. No more backhanded stuff...SDSU 99, SMSU 63 or whatever. Peace?

89rabbit
12-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Never said equal. *NEVER said that. *Getting better is my point. *

The NCC is one of the best in the country. *Won't be for long with with SDSU, NDSU and UNC now leaving the league. *It is one of the best leagues in the country, but it is also one of the most funded leagues in the country, so the NCC should be strong.

That isn't a knock, not at all, because the rest of the D2 leagues wishes they had that much money. *I'm sorry if I my worthless comment was taken wrong. *I meant, I believe SDSU is in a class by itself this year and it would be a huge disapointment *(I think) if they didn't win the region

But enough of this, I 'll move onto something else. *No more backhanded stuff...SDSU 99, SMSU 63 or whatever. *Peace?

Agreed! 8)

huskies679
12-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Mustangfan, I have never seen somebody so excited about almost, could, should, and barely. How can you rub NSIC victories in the faces of NCC fans.
Good job on your victory over a poor shooting, average SCSU. But SWS has beat us before. Yes, there is an improvement in the NSIC, and it is great you are excited about your league, thats cool.

I can't believe NDSU and UND is not playing in basketball next year. Whats going on?

IowaBison
12-22-2003, 04:50 AM
That choice, by Glas, Thomas, and Roebuck is completely ridiculus. I can understand the serious ramifications that playing us in football has, still not enough the rivalry to end in my opinion, but this makes no sense.

No matter what the parameters DII gives for playing a DI team there are simply too many games and opportunities for a good team to earn a berth in the playoffs.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 02:21 PM
If you listen to what the UND coaches are saying there seems to be a systematic ploy by the UND administration to take the upper hand and say hey they are the ones who made the move to DI. I think UND will come back begging to play NDSU. USD is doing the same thing. We will see what the new athletic director does once he gets situated. Both schools are trying to play the victim and win the poll of public opinion by accusing the other school of bringing the rivalary to an end when they know there will be no big advantage for a few years.

IowaBison
12-22-2003, 03:14 PM
I think it does nothing but make the schools look bad. The comments made by the UND basketball coaches makes them sound like whiny kids. I really have difficulty believing that USD and SDSU won't be playing, it's not like with us where the Sioux will be risking a chance at the playoffs each year.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 03:21 PM
I guess you could make the case USD would be risking something in Basketball if they continue the rivalary. The bottom line is UNO has continued to play in-state Creighton for years in Basketball and Mankato and Duluth usually play Univ of Minnesota in Basketball.

D
12-22-2003, 04:04 PM
I guess you could make the case USD would be risking something in Basketball if they continue the rivalary. The bottom line is UNO has continued to play in-state *Creighton for years in Basketball and Mankato and Duluth usually play Univ of Minnesota in Basketball.

Mankato and Dukuth don't play U of Minnesota except in exhibition.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 04:09 PM
So make it an exibition if UND is so concerned about it tainting their record which is ridiculous in basketball. I guess they want to continue to play the pre-conference cupcakes and enhance their chances of playing in the elite-eight at home in Grand Forks.

D
12-22-2003, 04:52 PM
So make it an exibition if UND is so concerned about it tainting their record which is ridiculous in basketball. I guess they want to continue to play the pre-conference cupcakes and enhance their chances of playing in the elite-eight at home in Grand Forks.

What pre-conference cupcakes? NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Augie, they all play 2-3 DAC-10 teams. Other than that, every NCC team has to play a lot of NSIC teams for regional reasons. And SDSU and USD dip into the great GNAC. It is a pretty level playing field as far as NCC nonconference scheduling goes in basketball. Most teams schedules are extremely similar.

89rabbit
12-22-2003, 04:58 PM
What pre-conference cupcakes? *NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Augie, they all play 2-3 DAC-10 teams. *Other than that, every NCC team has to play a lot of NSIC teams for regional reasons. *And SDSU and USD dip into the great GNAC. *It is a pretty level playing field as far as NCC nonconference scheduling goes in basketball. *Most teams schedules are extremely similar.

D,

you are right a Dac - 10 team is no cup cake for you.
University of Mary 86 UND 54. ;) :o ::)

D
12-22-2003, 05:08 PM
D,

you are right a Dac - 10 team is no cup cake for you.
University of Mary 86 UND 54. * ;) *:o *::)

Obviously not the point. Every NCC school schedules at least 3 games with the DAC10 or GNAC. So as far as cupcake scheduling goes, if UND is guilty than so is the rest of the league. And to make JACKGUY's statement about in-state games even more incorrect, Creighton hasn't played UNO in a regular season game in at least 7 years.

89rabbit
12-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Obviously not the point. *Every NCC school schedules at least 3 games with the DAC10 or GNAC. *So as far as cupcake scheduling goes, if UND is guilty than so is the rest of the league. *And to make JACKGUY's statement about in-state games even more incorrect, Creighton hasn't played UNO in a regular season game in at least 7 years.

Just having a little fun ;) I will say that SDSU has a pretty challenging pre-conf. schedule this year. Teams not in the Dac 10, GNAC, or NSIC include:

University of Philadelphia
Kennesaw State
Northern Kentucky
University of Tampa
Colorado Mines
Michigan Tech.

Many of these teams are D-II powerhouses and/or have been ranked in the top 25.

Go SDSU!

D
12-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Just having a little fun *;) *I will say that SDSU has a pretty challenging pre-conf. schedule this year. *Teams not in the Dac 10, GNAC, or NSIC include:

University of Philadelphia
Kennesaw State
Northern Kentucky
University of Tampa
Colorado Mines
Michigan Tech.

Many of these teams are D-II powerhouses and/or have been ranked in the top 25.

Go SDSU!

That's what you get for being good last year and being projected to be good this year, you get invited to that classic in Florida where it is alomost nothing but top notch teams. That tourney does nothing but good for a team and program.

NDSU_grad
12-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Even NDSU's non-conference mens' bball schedule has been pretty tough. We Cal-Poly Pomona (#5 at the time) plus Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech. Northern Michigan was picked to win the GLIAC and Michigan Tech always fields a great team.

somebison
12-22-2003, 05:33 PM
What pre-conference cupcakes? *NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Augie, they all play 2-3 DAC-10 teams. *Other than that, every NCC team has to play a lot of NSIC teams for regional reasons. *And SDSU and USD dip into the great GNAC. *It is a pretty level playing field as far as NCC nonconference scheduling goes in basketball. *Most teams schedules are extremely similar.

The only difference I could see (if any) in the precon schedules is that UND hasn't scheduled any games against teams that are ranked/have been ranked

NDSU played Cal-Poly Pomona -preseason #5, Michigan Tech currently #12

SDSU is also playing Michigan Tech and some other good schools.

Every NCC team plays cupcakes, the only difference is the scheduling of a few "powerhouses" each year

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 06:07 PM
The bottom line is UNO plays Creighton whether its an exhibition or not its an opportunity to see a game that everybody in Omaha wants to see similiar to UND and NDSU. The game is one in which Creighton is expected to win however it doesn't stop UNO from playing them and they almost pulled off an upset this year. The stand UND is taking in Basketball purely political. If I were NDSU I would not take the game even when UND gets there sense about them and wants to schedule it. As for a comparision between the Jacks and UND pre-conf schedule there is none as we have always scheduled tough games outside the region and we have earned the right to go to tournaments such as the Disney Classic not because we have done well last year and are expected to do well this year. We have been a power in the region for many years and have earned the respect over a long perioed of time based on our quality of program, record and loyal following. Und will have an opportunity to participate in a well run and attended event in Brookings over the Holidays that I doubt they could duplicate on their own.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Taking another look at UNd's non-conference schedule I'm floored to see a home and home with NSIC opponent Bemidgi State in the same year? Also playing Dac 10 schools on the road does not say much for UND's program. If UND refuses to play NDSU next year I'm sure there not going to want to come to Brookings and play the Rabbits and take a loss when they can schedule an easier opponent twice. What did they do after they lost in Bemidgi "say hey how about two of three"?

D
12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
The bottom line is UNO plays Creighton whether its an exhibition or not its an opportunity to see a game that everybody in Omaha wants to see similiar to UND and NDSU. The game is one in which Creighton is expected to win however it doesn't stop UNO from playing them and they almost pulled off an upset this year. The stand UND is taking in Basketball purely political. If I were NDSU I would not take the game even when UND gets there sense about them and wants to schedule it. As for a comparision between the Jacks and UND pre-conf schedule there is none as we have always scheduled tough games outside the region and we have earned the right to go to tournaments such as the Disney Classic not because we have done well last year and are expected to do well this year. We have been a power in the region for many years and have earned the respect over *a long perioed of time based on our quality of program, record and loyal following. *Und will have an opportunity to participate in a well run and attended event in Brookings over the Holidays that I doubt they could duplicate on their own.

I guess you must have some alterior definition for the word exhibition. It means that the game means nothing, doesn't count for anything, and is of no use to a rivalry. It doesn't give any bragging rights to anyone. I'm sure UND will not want to come to Frost for any other games after this year after the incident with the AD there last year with your AD losing his cool because Coach Glas was talking to Matt Jones after the game. It was a pretty sad and unwarranted display. I'm sure your Xmas tourney is the greatest thing on earth, too, an event that no one could ever duplicate. Most of my best times on the planet have occurred in Valley City, uhh I mean Brookings.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 07:18 PM
I don't think a game whether its won or loss means anything less because its called an exhibition. I believe the game is still 40 minutes and its full-court not half-court. The Jack women play Iowa and Colorado this year and I believe even though they lost both games it was meaningful to learn where this team was at and what they need to improve on. I was making a suggestion for how UND could play NDSU and still keep their beloved record intact so they might finally be able to compete for conference and regional record with SDSU no longer standing in their way. I guess you decided to drop the non-conference schedule when you realized how poor your administration does at scheduling. In terms of Oien yelling at Glas this is the first I have heard of it. If you want to talk about poor sportsmanship take a look at Beasley who even while getting beat at Frost would flip off the crowd and act like a jerk. Take a look at your own failed Junior College Recruiting program and ask yourself who has more class. Valley City? Did you guys play them too?

D
12-22-2003, 07:45 PM
I don't think a game whether its won or loss means anything less because its called an exhibition. I believe the game is still 40 minutes and its full-court not half-court. The Jack women play Iowa and Colorado this year and I believe even though they lost both games it was meaningful to learn where this team was at and what they need to improve on. I was making a suggestion for how UND could play NDSU and still keep their beloved record intact so they might finally be able to compete for conference and regional record with SDSU no longer standing in their way. I guess you decided to drop the non-conference schedule when you realized how poor your administration does at scheduling. In terms of Oien yelling at Glas this is the first I have heard of it. If you want to talk about poor sportsmanship take a look at Beasley who even while getting beat at Frost would flip off the crowd and act like a jerk. Take a look at your own failed Junior College Recruiting program and ask yourself who has more class. Valley City? Did you guys play them too? * *

Apparently you've never been involved in athletics if you think an exhibition means as much as a normal game. Do you learn things from them, yes. Do they help you get into the playoffs or are they used as game film by opposing teams in scouting, no. It is hard to believe someone on a sports message board would make such a stupid argument that exhibition games have the same worth as regular season games. As for you off-the-handle AD, he freaked out on Rich for chatting with Matt Jones after the game. Jones was unhappy with his situation at SDSU and Rich was just talking to him, when the AD started yelling at him about how Jones wasn't going anywhere, with a few explitives in there. Jones almost signed with UND, and aparently your AD thought Rich was recruiting him while they were talking, as everyone knew of Jones' unhappiness. Not even comparable to something Beasley did during the game. To say that UND's juco experiment has been a failure isn't accurate. Beasley is in the NBA. The Myron Allen situation was an unavoidable situation, SDSU offerred and recruited him hard as well. SDSU had an offer out to Robert Lollar, who UND signed but he left last year. Porter was a sound player, and the guys this year have been hurt. Where's the failure? Developing one into an NBA player puts your argument to shame by itself. There isn't anything wrong with travelling to Minot and Bismarck once in a while to play those teams. A lot of alumni in those areas, keeps them real happy, but the loss is disappointing to say the least.

89rabbit
12-22-2003, 08:04 PM
I was going to stay out of this, but I have ask. What are you talking about with Jones ??? I have NEVER heard that he was unhappy at SDSU. He was sick with Mono last year and didn't play, but I am not sure how that equates to unhappy with the program.

D
12-22-2003, 08:08 PM
I was going to stay out of this, but I have ask. *What are you talking about with Jones ??? *I have NEVER heard that he was unhappy at SDSU. *He was sick with Mono last year and didn't play, but I am not sure how that equates to unhappy with the program.

He was very unhappy with the situation at SDSU, almost to the point of wanting to leave. *This is first hand from the UND staff, and is only backed up by the AD's fit, as Jones and Glas have a very good relationship and the AD didn't want him getting involved. *It suprises me that you were unaware of that. *I don't know why he was unhappy, I was never told nor did I ask. * *

89rabbit
12-22-2003, 08:15 PM
I don't know what to tell you, the fact that JACKGUY and I know nothing of the"fit" or the unhappiness of which you speak, and the fact that Matt was not playing for medical reasons (if you recall last season for SDSU, if he could have played we would have loved to have him with all the injuries we fought through), leads me to ask. Are you sure we are talking about the right school and kid *??? *(Not smack, really wondering)

Same Matt Jones who was the NCC Freshman of the year at SDSU before he caught mono, and received a medical red shirt for his Sophomore year?

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 08:17 PM
I'm condident my athletic background allows me to speak freely and with some credibility, but that is beside the point. I never said that an exhibition game is the same as a regular season game. My point was that its an opportunity to play someone that you might not otherwise. Do you think the UND players had any less drive when they played Kansas a few years ago. If your that intimidated by the NDSU program than by all means don't embarrass yourself in either a regular game or exhibition game. I won't even ask you why game film on a exhibition game is less valuable for a game that counts. I've been to and played in these games and the players don't play with any less passion nor do the coaches coach like its doesn't matter. Your either an idiot or worse if you don't understand that human nature is too compete regardless whether its on the playground or in a championship. If defining your program is based on how many pro players develop than I guess you could say SDSU has a comparable football program. Yes, Beasley was a good player but would have never played for Nagy as he was selfish and cared more about his personal stats. SDSU beats UND and goes further in post-season because of the team approach and not because of one player like Beasley who's style did nothing to take UND to a chmpionship. I question what Glas and his staff really did to help Beasley to the next level as they were never really able to get him to play a team goal. Thank God you did whatever you had to do to get Lollar who possessed talent and nothing else. Nagy has taken some Junior College talent but only if their willing to play are style of a team game. The vast majority of our players are high school recruits who play four years at SDSU and that has proven successful rather than the quick fix that Glas seems to adapted and failed with.
Jones from what I understand and his family have had some reservations about the D1 move. If anything I think he could have played at at a D1 school from the begginning. He has an opportunity this year to play for a team that can win the National Championship this year. I don't think UND has that in their sights. Who knows maybe he will decide to transfer to UND next year?

89rabbit
12-22-2003, 08:28 PM
as Jones and Glas have a very good relationship

To bad that Glas and UND don't have a good relationship anymore. ;)

D
12-22-2003, 08:30 PM
I don't know what to tell you, the fact that JACKGUY and I know nothing of the"fit" or the unhappiness of which you speak, and the fact that Matt was not playing for medical reasons (if you recall last season for SDSU, if he could have played we would have loved to have him with all the injuries we fought through), leads me to ask. * Are you sure we are talking about the right school and kid *??? *(Not smack, really wondering)

Same Matt Jones who was the NCC Freshman of the year at SDSU before he caught mono, and received a medical red shirt for his Sophomore year?

I am 100% positive who we are talking about. I am a huge basketball fan, I know very well who he is. I was right there when the whole incident happened about a half hour or so after the game. The AD started saying things to the effect of leave him alone and he isn't going anywhere, just not that kindly. Rich didn't know what was going on. As the team was leaving the AD sontinued doing the same. Jones was very close to coming to UND out of high school, as I'm sure you guys know, and it seemed like he and Glas are fairly close in that athlete/recruit sense. I don't know what Jones was unhappy with, and from what I understand those feelings are in the past now. He isn't transfering. I'm really surprised that you guys didn't know of this. His genuine unhappiness was told to me first hand from the UND staff, and I respect Rich as much as anyone in the world. I don't mean to give him a bad name or cast some kind of ill feeling to you towards him.

89rabbit
12-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Fair enough.

D
12-22-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm condident my athletic background allows me to speak freely and with some credibility, but that is beside the point. I never said that an exhibition game is the same as a regular season game. My point was that its an opportunity to play someone that you might not otherwise. Do you think the UND players had any less drive when they played Kansas a few years ago. If your that intimidated by the NDSU program than by all means don't embarrass yourself in either a regular game or exhibition game. I won't even ask you why game film on a exhibition game is less valuable for a game that counts. I've been to and played in these games and the players don't play with any less passion nor do the *coaches coach like its doesn't matter. Your either an idiot or worse if you don't understand that human nature is too compete regardless whether its on the playground or in a championship. If defining your program is based on how many pro players develop than I guess you could say SDSU has a comparable football program. Yes, Beasley was a good player but would have never played for Nagy as he was selfish and cared more about his personal stats. SDSU beats UND and goes further in post-season because of the team approach and not because of one player like Beasley who's style did nothing to take UND to a chmpionship. I question what Glas and his staff really did to help Beasley to the next level as they were never really able to get him to play a team goal. Thank God you did whatever you had to do to get Lollar who possessed talent and nothing else. Nagy has taken some Junior College talent but only if their willing to play are style of a team game. The vast majority of our players are high school recruits who play four years at SDSU and that has proven successful rather than the quick fix that Glas seems to adapted and failed with.
Jones from what I understand and his family have had some reservations about the D1 move. If anything I think he could have played at at a D1 school from the begginning. He has an opportunity this year to play for a team that can win the National Championship this year. I don't think UND has that in their sights. Who knows maybe he will decide to transfer to UND next year? * *

For what it is woth, I couldn't disagree anymore about Beasley not being a team player. Look at the team he had. It was amazing they went as far as they did. Now, if you said Jeff Brandt wasn't a team player you'd get total agreement out of me. But Jerome Had a team with a vastly below average PF (Johnson), a defensive role playing SF (Walker), a one-dimensional no defense shooting guard who was cold more than hot, and a SF forced to play the PG with Myron Allen gone in Mario Porter. Beasley lead the league in ppg, rebs, was right up there in fg% & 3%, and didn't stray from the offense ala Brandt, and was a true class act and role model (what player doesn't get into it with fans). He was the definition of the world team player in my mind. The team's shortcomings weren't any of his doings.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Let's look at what matters and that is the team accomplishments during the Beasley era: 2001-2003
Jacks win 3 out of 5 contests.
SDSU
2001-2002- SDSU 24-6 NCC Champions,North Central Regional Runner-up
2002-2003-SDSU 24-7 North Central Regional Runner-up
(Jacks lose 4 starters to injury)
UND
2001-2002 19-10
2002-2003 20-9 Lose in the first round of North Central Regional.

D
12-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Let's look at what matters and that is the team accomplishments during the Beasley era: 2001-2003
Jacks win 3 out of 5 contests.
SDSU
2001-2002- SDSU 24-6 NCC Champions,North Central Regional Runner-up
2002-2003-SDSU 24-7 North Central Regional Runner-up
(Jacks lose 4 starters to injury)
UND
2001-2002 19-10
2002-2003 20-9 Lose in the first round of North Central Regional.

That in no way proves to me that Beasley wasn't a team player. All you showed me was that SDSU was a better team in his 2 years. The point was never disputed that SDSU had the better team during the Beasley era.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Alright I give up. I'm glad to meet other fans who have a passion for Basketball in this area. I hope UND comes to it's senses and joins us wherever we end up. I will miss the NCC and the ability to drive to many of the conference games. I will be up for the conf game in Grand Forks. Will you be going to Brookings to see the Sioux play in the Holiday Tournament?

D
12-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Alright I give up. I'm glad to meet other fans who have a passion for Basketball in this area. I hope UND comes to it's senses and joins us wherever we end up. I will miss the NCC and the ability to drive to many of the conference games. I will be up for the conf game in Grand Forks. Will you be going to Brookings to see the Sioux play in the Holiday Tournament? *

No, I'm going to be out of town for the tourny, but am planning on making the trek to Brookings for the regular season matchup. The Sioux are a lot better than their first 5 games now, with all their best talent injured. The silver lining is that it looks like Aaron Austin will be returning to the team for the 2nd semester. He averaged 15 a game for UNC as a redshirt FR and transfered out because of the move. He's a great shooter and excellent athlete. He was counted on to be the leading scorer before the season. The NCC is weird this year as there is the big 2, and then everybody elso right in the middle. I wouldn't be too suprised to see Mankato and UND emerge as the 3,4 teams in the league and be 2-3 games over .500 in the league.

JACKGUY
12-22-2003, 10:06 PM
I agree I think Mankato is an improved club and I think they are the darkhorse. I'm anxious to see St. Cloud as they seem to not be the force they have been the past few years. Your club seems to be playing better even with the injuries. Speaking of Matt Jones he has a hyperextended Knee and is day to day.

mustangfan
12-22-2003, 10:13 PM
huskies679, I don't think I ever rubbed an NSIC victory to the NCC fans. My point is the NSIC has been drilled buy the NCC for years and finally it's getting competitive.

Cold shooting Huskies? Pretty good defense by the Mustangs. Don't forget Starzl didn't play for SMSU.

Not the point. Back to my point. UND and NDSU should play in hoops if they can. At least exhibition.

Gone for a while. Good holidays to everyone. Fun talking D2 sports. At least for a few months longer on this site

89rabbit
12-22-2003, 10:16 PM
huskies679, I don't think I ever rubbed an NSIC victory to the NCC fans. *My point is the NSIC has been drilled buy the NCC for years and finally it's getting competitive.

Cold shooting Huskies? *Pretty good defense by the Mustangs. *Don't forget Starzl didn't play for SMSU.

Not the point. *Back to my point. *UND and NDSU should play in hoops if they can. *At least exhibition.

Gone for a while. *Good holidays to everyone. *Fun talking D2 sports. *At least for a few months longer on this site

Happy Holidays Mustangfan, I do like and respect your passion for the NSIC. Always good to chat with a true fan!

Go SDSU!

SDSUFAN
12-24-2003, 02:58 AM
I guess you must have some alterior definition for the word exhibition. *It means that the game means nothing, doesn't count for anything, and is of no use to a rivalry. *It doesn't give any bragging rights to anyone. *I'm sure UND will not want to come to Frost for any other games after this year after the incident with the AD there last year with your AD losing his cool because Coach Glas was talking to Matt Jones after the game. *It was a pretty sad and unwarranted display. *I'm sure your Xmas tourney is the greatest thing on earth, too, an event that no one could ever duplicate. *Most of my best times on the planet have occurred in Valley City, uhh I mean Brookings.

I dont know who initiated the alleged conversation that D is talking about, but if Rich Glas started conversation with Jones and started asking about his status at SDSU, this would be a violation of NCAA rules in that Glas is recruiting. Fred Oien is a strong believer in following the rules. If Rich in his charm appeared to over-step his bounds, I think Fred did the right thing in reminding Glas of this, some people cant take a hint so you have to blow up at them.

Of course since SDSU has left the NCC, we have no appeal in the NCC Office in Sioux Falls with Marcil, but Glas sounds to me to be in the wrong in engaging a conversation with Jones.

How many times did you see Nagy talking to Beasley and Lollar? Probably never because its a form of recruiting that is illegal. Glas is a big ass as far as I am concerned. I love to see him get his ass handed to him by the Jacks. Glas has lost a bunch of recruting battles to Nagy and this really gets his goat. Next year we will not have to worry about pretty boy Glas.

Bisonguy
12-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Glas has a history of recruiting violations, or should we call them "eligibility issues".

D
12-24-2003, 03:19 AM
I dont know who initiated the alleged conversation that D is talking about, but if Rich Glas started conversation with Jones and started asking about his status at SDSU, this would be a violation of NCAA rules in that Glas is recruiting. *Fred Oien is a strong believer in following the rules. If Rich in his charm appeared to over-step his bounds, I think Fred did the right thing in reminding Glas of this, some people cant take a hint so you have to blow up at them.

Of course since SDSU has left the NCC, we have no appeal in the NCC Office in Sioux Falls with Marcil, but Glas sounds to me to be in the wrong in engaging a conversation with Jones.

How many times did you see Nagy talking to Beasley and Lollar? Probably never because its a form of recruiting that is illegal. *Glas is a big ass as far as I am concerned. I love to see him get his ass handed to him by the Jacks. *Glas has lost a bunch of recruting battles to Nagy and this really gets his goat. *Next year we will not have to worry about pretty boy Glas.

Appartently you have not the slightest clue as to the situation or what you are talking about. There were no recruiting violations or come to UND please talk (although what coach doesn't wish they had a Matt Jones), just how are you doing, hope you get better, what exactly is the problem kind of talk. If you consider it recruiting to engage in a casual conversation with someone you obviously share a mutual respect with, so be it. If this was the case, there would be minimum 2 infractions after every game and no team would have a coach.

SDSUFAN
12-24-2003, 04:50 AM
Once a student athlete signs a letter of intent, its a binding contract, and I cant site the reference in the operations manual. Once that letter has been signed, *other coaches who have had contact with an athlete are to refrain from any subsequent contact with that athlete, even if its just Howdy do. If a coach has some class, which Rich does not have, you dont do those sort of things. *This conversation apparently had an appearence of recruiting otherwise Fred would not have gotten involved. I know Fred Oien and yes I do have clue.

Glas is a sore loser and does not stop recruiting even after a letter of intent has been signed.

*Where was that goof ball Roger Thomas when this was happening? *Now here is someone who has no clue and you D are probably his son.

somebison
12-24-2003, 05:01 AM
a little info on letters of intent

http://www.national-letter.org/

If Glas just said hey how are you.. hope you're doing well etc.. not a big deal.. if he said something to the effect of hey heard you are having some problems... if things don't work out give me a call.. i think he would be in the wrong

SDSUFAN
12-24-2003, 05:41 AM
Somebison:

Thanks for posting that and I would agree with your comments, but that being said, I do know Fred Oien pretty good and he does not over react unless he sees something that he feels is very wrong. Especially if its NCAA rules, and as an AD he had every right to tell Glas to stop talking to Jones, no matter what the deal was.
Confronting Glas publicly would have been more honest than filing a complaint to the NCAA. Fred could have done that too.

Coaches should not be doing this visiting especially if there is knowledge that an athlete is unhappy about his NLI.
Fred sensed what was going on and reacted appropriately as far I am concerned. Sounds like it was another Myron Allen deal in the making, by none other than Richard Glas.

D
12-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Somebison:

Thanks for posting that and I would agree with your comments, but that being said, I do know Fred Oien pretty good and he does not over react unless he sees something that he feels is very wrong. Especially if its NCAA rules, and as an AD he had every right to tell Glas to stop talking to Jones, no matter what the deal was.
Confronting Glas publicly would have been more honest than filing a complaint to the NCAA. *Fred could have done that too.

Coaches should not be doing this visiting especially if there is knowledge that an athlete is unhappy about his NLI.
Fred sensed what was going on and reacted appropriately as far I am concerned. Sounds like it was another Myron Allen deal in the making, by none other than Richard Glas.

You're a piece of work. The situation was explained. Hey, how are you doing. Tough break with the mono. You guys are real tough and look to be very strong in the future. Then the AD blew a gasket, some fairly naughty words. A harmless situation from a coaches end, much like most coaches have after games if they see a stud from an opposing team still sitting in the arena. This is just as much of a recruiting violation as your ultra successful football (program) coach talking to our QB Bowencamp after UND beat you this year. He apparently paid Bowencamp some compilments about his poise and great comback he administered, but according to sdsufan, any contact is a violation. Every coach does it, watch the end of every single basketball game on ESPN. 89rabbit and JACKGUY seemed to get it, evidently not you, though. I hope your husband Fred takes care of you and the blood between your legs tonight, because apparently you reading and posting while you're on your period isn't a very good combination.

D
12-24-2003, 07:07 AM
Glas is a big ass as far as I am concerned. I love to see him get his ass handed to him by the Jacks. *Glas has lost a bunch of recruting battles to Nagy and this really gets his goat. *Next year we will not have to worry about pretty boy Glas.

And if you think Glas is an ass you'd probably be the first person to say that about him, recent comments aside, or don't know much about basketball. He runs a classy ship, disciplines his kids, and is respectful on the bench (only 3-4 T's in all of his years of coaching basketball) He is probably the most respected coach in the NCC. That isn't a knock on Nagy, it's just that Rich has been around for 15+ years now and has had pretty good success in most every year. He is an absolute classy guy, much like Tim Miles who I hold in very high regard as well. The only NCC hoops coaches I would call asses are Boots and the UNO coach. Boots because his teams inevitably choke every your, he doesn't actually even coach them, and every single year he has the easiest schedule in the league. I lost all respect for the UNO coach last year when he told our fans during the game to F off.

WYOBISONMAN
12-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Glas was an asshole in how the Bison/Sioux BB game was handled so he is probably an asshole in other ways too. Actually, the entire UND administration is rife with assholes.....the behind the back kind that are not up front.........

89rabbit
01-05-2004, 05:44 AM
Hey Mustangfan,

Back from the Holidays just wanted to drop you a line and let you know SDSU completed the NSIC sweep. ;) ;D You know I love you. ;)

D
01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Interesting score out of Bisonfan1234's blowup doll, the Mid-Con last night. Chicago St, the WORST DI program in the country beat Oakland in OT. Oakland was his big-ticket insitution for the conference, and now they are under .500 with a loss to the worst program in the country. That doesn't display league balance, but instead overall league ability. Another reason the Mid-Con isn't anything to look forward to or hope for over any other conference.

JBB
01-09-2004, 06:46 PM
The fun of conference play! You just never know. The Mid con would be just fine. what does the NCC have again thats better? Do you suppose they see the NCC scores?

Interesting sidelight. If your team is over .500 the NIT puts the most weight on attendance! that could favor NDSU and especially SDSU for an NIT spot. No waiting.

NDSU_grad
01-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Interesting score out of Bisonfan1234's blowup doll, the Mid-Con last night. *Chicago St, the WORST DI program in the country beat Oakland in OT. *Oakland was his big-ticket insitution for the conference, and now they are under .500 with a loss to the worst program in the country. *That doesn't display league balance, but instead overall league ability. *Another reason the Mid-Con isn't anything to look forward to or hope for over any other conference.
Wow, ignorance really is bliss. Chicago St. is far from the worst program in the country. There's about 60 programs that are worse. I am not a huge proponent of the Mid-Con but it's RPI right now is 18th out of 31 conferences, just below the Horizon, which got two bids to the Big Dance last year. Uninformed posts like yours belong in the Smack section and not in this thread.

D
01-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Wow, ignorance really is bliss. *Chicago St. is far from the worst program in the country. *There's about 60 programs that are worse. *I am not a huge proponent of the Mid-Con but it's RPI right now is 18th out of 31 conferences, just below the Horizon, which got two bids to the Big Dance last year. *Uninformed posts like yours belong in the Smack section and not in this thread.

Uninformed??? *Let's look at Chicago St. *Since 1988-89, they've had 2 seasons with double digit wins (one in 99-00 with 10 of 'em). *The win last night snapped a 30+ game conferene losing streak in one of the 9 worst conferences in the country. *Their combined record the past 5 years is a whopping 23-117. *The past 11 seasons they've put up solid RPI's of (in descending order from 02-03 down) 315,318,257,277,296,303,279,298,253,291,and 284. *Right now there are 326 non=provisional DI teams, and since 1990 about 30 of those teams are new. *So, in all but one of the past 11 years they have been amongst the worst 18% or so teams in the country *6 times they have been lower then 290, and 3 below 300, those 2 numbers qualifying them amongst the worst 10-15 teams in the country. *Average RPI over the past 11 years of 288. *Please find me 60 programs with worse RPI's over that stretch. *Can't be done. *I'll be impressed if anyone can present me with 2. *That is not misinformation.

NDSU_grad
01-10-2004, 03:16 AM
Right now their RPI is 267. There are 326 DI b-ball teams, so there's about 60 worse than them. I didn't take into account which of those below them are provisional. My main point is that the Mid-Con is not as bad as people make it out to be. If they had schools in the conference with names like State and U of they wouldn't get the bad rap that they do. Also, there is a MVC team (Evansville) with a worse RPI than any Mid-Con team.

D
01-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Chicago St and Army are the 2 worst programs in DI college basketball. That is something that cannot be really even be argued. To say that one program is better because their RPI is up a few more points that normal is simply not correct, a program's success is based on recent (10 or so years) success and or past success, not a singular season's success. If this were the case, UCLA and North Carolina aren't very good programs because both had RPI's in the mid to high 100's last year, and to say that would obviously be anything but the truth. Once again, please find 60, or even 5 programs with a lower average RPI then Chicago St the past 10 years and I will not call them the WORST program in the country.

NDSU_grad
01-10-2004, 04:04 AM
I can't dispute Chicago St. being a really bad program. But you can't base this year's Chicago St. team based on past performance either, because then this year's UNC team would be pretty bad. You were bashing the MCC because of the Oakland score and I just don't understand the logic of that post. If Baylor somehow miraculously beats Kansas this year does that make the Big XII a bad conference as well?

IowaBison
01-10-2004, 05:27 AM
Yes, it would.

D
01-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Yes, it would.

I second that, yes it would. I wasn't bashing the Mid-Con, I was bashing Bisonfan1234 and his theory that the Mid-Con is the best fit for the Bison and they are a good conference, because they aren't the former or the latter.

D
01-18-2004, 04:20 AM
Unbelievable start to the NCC. The SD schools a combined 1-7 in the NCC, the Bison leading the conference. Not sure what Tim Miles is doing, but he is certainly getting a team that is out-talented and out-sized almost nightly to win. The SD schools are the very opposite of that and I can only imagine some of the thoughts that are running through their heads right now. UNO is running 11 guys on to the floor and maintaining a good balance. Who woulda thunk'd it.

Bisonfan1234
01-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Obviously NDSU has the best talent in the conference , genius. More than we can say for UND.

D
01-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Obviously NDSU has the best talent in the conference , genius. More than we can say for UND.

Kind of funny that you took offense to something that wasn't offensive what-so-ever. *I'd have to think that there aren't too many Bison fans out there who will disagree with the fact that the Bison are being out-talented almost every time out on the floor. *They are winning as a TEAM, like the New England Patriots. *If you think that the Bison have the best talent in the league you are both extremely uninformed and horribly mistaken, and there is nothing wrong with saying that because the basketball team itself has said that a few times this year. *Dobmeier is amongst the least talented SF's in the NCC, the guy is an average sized point guard at 6-0 feet tall. *Kelchen is unequivically the least talented starting C in the league. *Green is terribly undersized and outmatched physically at PF. *Nemmers is an undersized, outquicked SG at best who makes up for it by being a dead-eye behind the arc. *Coefield is the exception in the starting-lineup. *The sum of their parts have equaled success, which speaks volumes about Tim Miles, his system, and his great people skills.

NDSU_grad
01-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Don't worry D, less than a month ago Bisonfan1234 was calling for Miles' head. I think the Bison are winning because they are playing as a team and are outcoaching the opponent every game.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2004, 07:09 PM
~the only talent the Bison have over all the other NCC teams is in coaching with Myles...the guy has won wherever he has been and now he's doing with with NDSU....

mustangfan
01-18-2004, 07:19 PM
It is Miles, not Myles

Bisonfan1234
01-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Kind of funny that you took offense to something that wasn't offensive what-so-ever. *I'd have to think that there aren't too many Bison fans out there who will disagree with the fact that the Bison are being out-talented almost every time out on the floor. *They are winning as a TEAM, like the New England Patriots. *If you think that the Bison have the best talent in the league you are both extremely uninformed and horribly mistaken, and there is nothing wrong with saying that because the basketball team itself has said that a few times this year. *Dobmeier is amongst the least talented SF's in the NCC, the guy is an average sized point guard at 6-0 feet tall. *Kelchen is unequivically the least talented starting C in the league. *Green is terribly undersized and outmatched physically at PF. *Nemmers is an undersized, outquicked SG at best who makes up for it by being a dead-eye behind the arc. *Coefield is the exception in the starting-lineup. *The sum of their parts have equaled success, which speaks volumes about Tim Miles, his system, and his great people skills.

I'll be damned, all this time i thought the winning teams won because they were better.

So i guess NDSU did have the best talent on the football field this year, UND won by dumb luck.

Thanks for clarifying.

D
01-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Say what you will, nobody said the Bison men weren't a better team, simply overmatched talent-wise.

BisonMav
01-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Say what you will, nobody said the Bison men weren't a better team, simply overmatched talent-wise.

I don't think the Bison would have a 9 game winning streak with Mayville States players. There is more talent on this team than people think. Maybe the starting five doesn't matchup with other teams player per player. When you bring May, Erbes, Green, and Witt off the bench, the talent drops off little. Eight of the nine regulars have started games this season.

D
01-18-2004, 08:33 PM
The bench is just like the starting 5. May is a pretty talented guy, but guys like Erbes, Witt, the other Green, they are all lunch-pail and hardhat type of guys. They come onto the floor and get it done, they beat people up playing physical defense. Erbes is a great example. Can he dunk? He gets his work done with positioning, uses his butt well on the boards, and uses his pivot foot and jump hook well to score. No jaw-dropping moves, great cross-over dribbles, just sound solid basketball that you don't say wow about until the game is over and the Bison have beat another team that on paper they probably shouldn't by 10 points. That is the sign of a good team, something I and probably everyone else didn't expect to see.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2004, 08:43 PM
The bench is just like the starting 5. *May is a pretty talented guy, but guys like Erbes, Witt, the other Green, they are all lunch-pail and hardhat type of guys. *They come onto the floor and get it done, they beat people up playing physical defense. *Erbes is a great example. *Can he dunk? *He gets his work done with positioning, uses his butt well on the boards, and uses his pivot foot and jump hook well to score. *No jaw-dropping moves, great cross-over dribbles, just sound solid basketball that you don't say wow about until the game is over and the Bison have beat another team that on paper they probably shouldn't by 10 points. *That is the sign of a good team, something I and probably everyone else didn't expect to see.

~I agree...the Bison dont have a Denver Tenbroek type player that will get them out of trouble if they go through periods of not scoring...Coco is the only player that can get his own shot off but I wouldnt call him a topp notchh NCC player.....they play together so well as a team and thats the reason why I think they will go far this year......Ive been to every game and there is always a different player stepping up...I didnt even know how good the Green brothers were until they stood out last night...great all around balence and team play is this teams formula for success...