PDA

View Full Version : Post-season speculation

jackmd
02-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Here are the up to date men's NCC standings. Tuk mentioned the importance of each and every game from here on out with regards to post-season births (all this talk about babies) and seeding position. The Jacks are in with only a question of seeding and possibly hosting. How do you guys see the other teams stacking up?

I think the Bison, UNO and USD, based on their most recent play, control their own fate. Win out and your in. It will be tougher for SCSU (after being swept this weekend) and MSU (some big losses at home). Although, if any of these teams go 4-0 to end the year they are probably it. UND's only chance is to win the tourney, obviously. How exciting will this stretch run be?

Mens Basketball Standings
NCC Overall

North Dakota State 7 3 14 9
South Dakota State 7 3 23 3
Nebraska-Omaha 6 4 16 7
Minnesota State 5 5 17 7
St. Cloud State 5 5 15 8
South Dakota 5 5 15 7
North Dakota 4 6 14 10
Augustana 1 9 5 18

nsufan
02-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Update to last weeks region ratings.

1. Metro State (19-2) now (21-2)
2. Nebraska-Kearney (19-2) now (21-2)
3. SDSU (21-3) now (23-3)
4. Colorado Christian (17-4) now (17-6) may drop 1
5. Northern State (17-5) now (19-5) may rise 1
6. NDSU (13-8) now (14-9) drop
7. Nebraska-Omaha (15-6) now (16-7)
8. St. Cloud State (15-6) now (15-8) drop
9. Fort Lewis (15-6) now (16-6) rise
10. Bemidji State (15-7) now (16-8)

You will probably see USD (15-7), Colorado State-Pueblo(16-7) enter the poll or possibly Fort Hays State (15-8) or Mesa State (14-8).

If looks as if SDSU may determine a few teams post season chances. UNO has 4 home games left but 1 is with SDSU. MSU has 4 road games left with 1 game at SDSU. St Cloud has 4 road games left with 1 game at SDSU. USD has 4 home games left and their final game is against SDSU. NDSU can't afford another loss and they have to go to a hot USD team and UNO.

I think Metro or Nebraska-Kearney will probably hold on the top spot but they do have to play each other in their final game of the year. I do hope they both screw up and SDSU ends up hosting because it is always a good time at Frost and not as far to travel (that is if we make it to the tourney!)

BisonMav
02-15-2004, 09:38 PM
The Bison are 11-4 in the region, better than any other NCC team except SDSU. They have 2 less losses than the next best team. The Bison need to win just to make sure.

nsufan
02-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Not that it really matters, but the bison are actually 11-5 in the region. 2 losses to the NSIC and 3 losses in the NCC.

Personally, I would like to see the Bison qualify. They have really turned things around after their rough start and hopefully can finish strong.

BisonMav
02-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Not that it really matters, but the bison are actually 11-5 in the region. *2 losses to the NSIC and 3 losses in the NCC.

Personally, I would like to see the Bison qualify. *They have really turned things around after their rough start and hopefully can finish strong.

I am subliminally trying to forget about the UND game I guess.

jackmd
02-16-2004, 03:46 PM
I am being optimistic but I think 4 teams from the NCC could be selected for the regional, with the minimum being 3.

The NSIC really only deserves 2 spots at best and if there is an upset in their tourney then NSU or Bemidji are out.

My feelings are the same about the RMAC, however, Metro and UNK are in regardless. So, if there is an upset in the RMAC tourney (as there is every year) then 3 RMAC teams are in and a NCC team is left out. The final tally being 3 RMAC, 2 NSIC and 3 NCC.

I believe the selection committee recognizes the quality of the NCC from top to near bottom (excluding Augie and probably UND). The other 6 teams are as good or better than the top 2 teams in the NSIC and much better than the RMAC teams excluding UNK and Metro.

My point, I think the NCC has a great shot at sending 3 teams and maybe 4 to the regional. Finally, you never know what will happen in the NCC tourney. Location will have a lot to do with it. Makes for an exciting end to our last season in the NCC.

somebison
02-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Rankings updated

http://www.ncaa.org/polls/m_w_basketball.html

NORTH CENTRAL men
1. Metropolitan State 21-2
2. Nebraska-Kearney 21-2
3. South Dakota State 23-3
4. Northern State 19-5
5. Colorado Christian 17-6
6. Fort Lewis 16-6
7. North Dakota State 14-9
8. Nebraska-Omaha 16-7
9. South Dakota 16-7
10. Bemidji State 16-8

Women

North Central Region
1. Concordia-St. Paul 21-2
2. North Dakota State 19-4
3. North Dakota 19-4
4. South Dakota State 18-5
5. South Dakota 21-5
6. St. Cloud State 17-6
7. Nebraska-Kearney 18-5
8. Fort Lewis 18-5
9. Winona State 15-9
10. Minnesota Duluth 14-9

jackmd
02-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Ft. Lewis takes advantage of the tough NCC schedule and moves up 3 spots to #6. Christian has lost 5 of 6 but holds on at #5. These two examples expose major flaws with the regional/SSI rankings. They do not take into consideration the relative "toughness" of each conference. A win in the RMAC' western div. (Ft. Lewis leads) or against a team other than UNK or Metro in the East should get equal points as a win against Augie in the NCC.

No way the RMAC deserves 3 of the top 5 spots. Both NDSU and UNO should be considered ahead of them for regional bids right now. USD deserves equal consideration with Ft. Lewis. Christian is an afterthought, no chance.

I only hope the selection committee is wise enough to recognize the descrepencies between conferences. I trust they are.

mustangfan
02-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Your right, the RMAC is a joke, for sure the West Division. Ft. Lewis for example and every RMAC school, plays 19 conference games. The min. for D2 schools to play D2 games is 22. So Ft. Lewis only plays 3 other D2 games in non conference. They played four D2 non conference games, and they lost one of them and the other 3 weren't good.

The NCC and NSIC on the other hand play each other for non-conference games which can help or hurt. More often than not it hurts our two leagues because there are some upsets and the level of play is so good.

Look at Ft. Lewis, then get drilled EVERY time in the regional

I think only one NSIC gets in and thats Northern State. The only other way is if there is an upset in the tournament. Bemidji State is on the outside right now, but they have to play at Southwest on Friday and at Wayne State on Saturday before hosting Duluth on the final weekend.