PDA

View Full Version : NIT Elgibility...

WYOBISONMAN
02-23-2004, 08:09 PM
A question.....When will NDSU be elgible for the NIT based on current rules?

89rabbit
02-23-2004, 09:13 PM
According to Coach Nagy, all we (NDSU and SDSU) need for an NIT bid is a record that is above .500 and good crowd support. If we can demonstrate both we could get an invite next year.

mustangfan
02-23-2004, 10:05 PM
What's a good crowd? I think they'll want 8,000 or so won't they or at least a big name. That's what will hurt SDSU and NDSU for the NIT, no one will know who they are. We'll wait to see some of these low level D1 conferences and see if they get in the NIT if they don't make the NCAA. Eastern Washington is a great example. Have been in their conference tournament final the last two years and they finally made the NIT last year. Maybe they don't draw and that's why,but they didn't even get a road game.

They were 17-11 (11-5 Big Sky) his first year and 17-13 (10-4 Big Sky) his second year and DIDN'T make the NIT. Last year 17-13 in the regular season and finally got into the NIT. But you have to earn your way for a few years.

This is just my opinion, SDSU or NDSU in the NIT will take 10 years. Again, just my opinion

EWU is averaging 2,400 for the season but for their last game they had 3,200. SDSU averages 3,400. I don't think that is enough to get an NIT. Will 3,400 continue in D1? Will 8,000 crowds show up without USD or Augie or Northern State?

It will be interesting to see

89rabbit
02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't think we are talking about home crowd. *I think we are talking about how well your fans travel. *I doubt SDSU would host an NIT game next year.

As far as name recognition/drawing ability the pre-season NIT had UMKC, St. Fancis (NY), Davidson, Louisiana Lafayette, Hofstra, Marist. *A State University might look pretty good. *We are talking about 105 teams making post season play between the NCAA and NIT. It will not take SDSU 10 years to make the NIT, no way, just my opinion.

http://www.nit.org/

Go SDSU!

D
02-23-2004, 10:24 PM
The NIT isn't a gimmee by any means just because a team has a +.500 record and draws fairly well. They take care of the big conference teams first, the BCS leagues, MWC, CUSA, A10, and the WAC. Those teams will take up roughly half and at times more of the teams in the NIT. These schools host more often then not as well. There have been many cases over the years of teams not in the leagues listed above who have won 20 games and did not get into the NIT because there were major conference teams one or two games above .500. The buck means a lot to the NIT, meaning home games and TV exposure to the teams from the big conferences, and better opportunities to get into it for them as well.

89rabbit
02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Agreed but the subject line is "NIT Eligibility". *Go above .500 put butts in the seats and you can get an invite. *That is what I am saying.

D
02-23-2004, 10:29 PM
I don't think we are talking about home crowd. *I think we are talking about how well your fans travel. *I doubt SDSU would host an NIT game next year.

As far as name recognition/drawing ability the pre-season NIT had UMKC, St. Fancis (NY), Davidson, Louisiana Lafayette, Hofstra, Marist. *A State University might look pretty good. *We are talking about 105 teams making post season play between the NCAA and NIT.

http://www.nit.org/

Go SDSU!

The pre-season NIT means pretty much nothing, you don't have to be good, have tradition, have good fan base, fans that travel, any of that to be invited to be in it. They select about half the field from 10 conferences and the other half from the other 30ish. They set it up for TV purposes, so they almost pre-select the teams they think will be in the final 4 at MSG so it plays out well for the TV audience.

89rabbit
02-23-2004, 10:32 PM
A question.....When will NDSU be elgible for the NIT based on current rules?

The answear is. . .Next year.

89rabbit
02-23-2004, 10:49 PM
*Will 8,000 crowds show up without USD or Augie or Northern State?

We can still play USD, Augie, or Northern State. *They will just take the place of Si Tanka, and Presentation which drew just over 1,000. *My guess our avg. attendence will go up with our move to D-I.

JBB
02-24-2004, 01:53 AM
Im really glad D is here. He lacks the brackish bitterness that permeates the suesuckatsports.com site while trying to keep a lid on our unabashed enthusiasm. Its a good balancing act. He isnt a puckhead either.

Ive been a BISON fan for a long time. I cant remember more excitement and anticipation than now.

The Day NDSU plays in the NIT is the day I go to New York.

jackmd
02-24-2004, 01:54 AM
What do current D2 teams do when they don't make the post-season in BB?? I guess D and Mustangfan can answer that this year and probably for years to come. The rest of us will talk about the possibility of the NIT and eventually the NC2A. THE POINT BEING SDSU and NDSU will be eligible for the NIT. Question answered.

D
02-24-2004, 02:03 AM
What do current D2 teams do when they don't make the post-season in BB?? *I guess D and Mustangfan can answer that this year and probably for years to come. *The rest of us will talk about the possibility of the NIT and eventually the NC2A. *THE POINT BEING SDSU and NDSU will be eligible for the NIT. *Question answered.

D2 teams that don't make the post-season in basketball do the same thing that the SDSU football team has been doing for the past quarter century after the final regular season game. However, the difference between the examples is that the D2 basketball teams try to get better in the off-season, while the SDSU football team seems content to sit on their asses and remain mediocre for what seems like all of eternity.

jackmd
02-24-2004, 02:09 AM
I can't disagree. Thats why I have no problem leaving the NCC. I would just as soon finish in the middle of the pack at the DI-AA level for a few years while the move stimulates the institution to improve our football facilities and our chances to recruit some better talent. An added bonus will be the presence of Cal-Davis, UNC, Southern Utah and the other member of the new conference on our schedule. Oh yeah, the absence of Peru St., Upper Iowa, and the likes will be nice also.