PDA

View Full Version : Jim Harrick Jr's exam at UGA

Sac_State
03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/quiz?event_id=600

And the SEC is known for its academics? Unbelievable!

JBB
03-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Some of those are kind of tricky, especially the math ones. But, if you read carefully some of those questions contain the answer, so that was nice. Were the students expected to be able to read or did someone read the exam for them? I was able to read through it myself.

GiantBison12
03-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Wow, I only got 6 out of 20, thank god I went to und and got drafted by the Miami Heat.

Sincerely,

Jerome Beasly

GCWaters
03-08-2004, 04:35 PM
As a UGA alum, I am pretty disgusted by the whole mess. I put the blame solely on the president, though--Harrick, Sr., had problems elsewhere and the AD (Vince Dooley) didn't want to interview him. The pres insisted and then hired him...sad choice!

Bisonguy
03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
I wonder what level of class this is? I don't remember losing any sleep over my Billiards and Bowling exams at NDSU. :-/ If it's a 100 series HPER class, I don't see much of a problem with it.

JBB
03-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Actually, I dont see any problem at all. Athletes, if they so chose, should be able to major in their sport. Thats where they spend their time and thats what they learn.

GCWaters
03-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I think the main problem is that its indicative of greater problems in the basketball program...Herrick apparantly violated several university and NCAA rules and put the program in jeopardy, leading to Dooley withdrawing the Dawgs from both the SEC and the NCAA tournies last year. Coming after the academic/athletic problems they had in the '80's, that cost them a president and a VP, they didn't need this. I have no problem with athletes majoring in their sport either, but there should be some rigor to it. A test on the history of the game, for example, would be great, but this was a test for third graders at best....

On a side note, this is an area where SU does pretty well--overall, athletic gpa's are pretty good, and the department keeps pretty close tabs on the athletes...

JBB
03-08-2004, 07:19 PM
It was funny on the Sid Hartman show yesterday moring. In order for a caller to ask Sid a question they had to CORRECTLY answer a question from the exam.