PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Mavs NCC Tournament Champs

maverick
03-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Congrats to coach Mckenna and the UNO MEN NCC tournament Champs

Maverick

SDSUFAN
03-07-2004, 04:48 PM
I will add my Congradulations and after sitting for one half about 20 feet from the UNO bench, UNO has a very good program that is winning at home. How will they play in Peoria, opps Denver?

Whether Nagy is a better coach than McKenna its hard to tell. I will say they are both among the best in D2. Also Maverick mentions Topp Kropp at UNK, yes another fine coach, who after beating SDSU in the Regional Semifinals said that they would not have won if it had been in Brookings.

If UNO wants to further prove their ability as a good team they got to win in Denver and Bakersfield.

feminine_heroine
03-08-2004, 01:22 AM
I am a huge maverick fan and the chances of us coming out of denver are slim and none. Miracles can happen but just can't see us winning against metro on their home court. But then I thought UNO would finish 4th in the NCC. Actually I think it has been about 15 years since an ncc team has even won a game at the Elite 8.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2004, 09:06 PM
~how is the NCC men compared to with the rest of the nation anyways? considering NDSU has never been really successfull in the NCC, I wonder if thats a telling sign of how we will do in D1, I really like Myles, but how does he compare with coaching in D1..I know he was very successful at Southwest Minnesota State.....

maverick
03-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Great basketball website for you ndsu and sdsu fans at theinsidershoops.com follow along the left side to recruits and look up your school at commit list and also go to recruit search and go to search criteria and scroll down to your school and hit search on far right side and gives you a list of potential recruits and who you are competing against.

Maverick
GoGO UNO

P.S. give me some feedback

BisonMav
03-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Maverick,

We have been following this site, look under the BB Recruiting topic.

maverick
03-09-2004, 08:54 AM
SDSU and NCC fans,

I fear for our basketball teams in Denver. Kevin Mckenna was on his weekly show and said that he talked to Tom Kropp the head coach of Nebraska-Kearney . Coach Kropp told Mckenna that they lost to Metro by 30 points and what's scary is that Coach Kropp said that his team might have played one of their best games of the year in the loss. UNK has a solid team that I have seen play in person. If someone from the NCC comes out of Denver with a championship this weekend I will be shocked.

Maverick

Jackrabbit
03-09-2004, 11:24 AM
I fully agree that if anyone beats Metro, especially on their court, it will be a giant upset. They have it rolling right now. It's just too bad they play in front of so few people. That's the way it is in Division II. Have you ever been to a Division II national tournament? I've been to both the men's and women's national tournaments and very few people, outside the fans from participating teams, attend these games. Very few people care about Division II except for the teams playing. It was quite an eye opening for me.

Herd_Mentality
03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Is it just me or is it kinda g@y when an "outsider" runs around posting "Congrats" messages about their team on another team's messageboard? I mean, cool if somebody here did it...but starting a thread like this is sort of a pathetic thing to do. ::)

JACKGUY
03-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Everyone wants to hand the Regional Trophy to Metro State based on their gawdy record. Their undefeated conference record is impressive however I would submit that the RMAC is very mediocre at best. Metro lost two early non-conference games to average NSIC teams. They lost to Winona 74-69 and to Duluth 74-63. The Jacks played just one RMAC team this year and won 102-82 that wasn't nearly that close. Don't get me wrong Metro is a good team and they have some of the same key components that beat the Jacks by a basket in Brookings at the Regional Championship game 2 years ago namely Kendall and Mutombo. I just think the NCC has 3 teams in the Regional that all can beat Metro
on a good night.

89rabbit
03-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Everyone wants to hand the Regional Trophy to Metro State based on their gawdy record. Their undefeated conference record is impressive however I would submit that the RMAC is very mediocre at best. Metro lost two early non-conference games to average NSIC teams. They lost to Winona 74-69 and to Duluth 74-63. The Jacks played just one RMAC team this year and won 102-82 that wasn't nearly that close. Don't get me wrong Metro is a good team and they have some of the same key components that beat the Jacks by a basket in Brookings at the Regional Championship game 2 years ago namely Kendall and Mutombo. I just think the NCC has 3 teams in the Regional that all can beat Metro
on a good night.

Agreed.

feminine_heroine
03-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Jackrabbit, I went to the Elite 8 a few years ago in Evansville and you are 100 percent right that other than the team's fans there are only a few hardcore bb junkies there. What you fail to mention is that it will be the same for ndsu/sdsu in the sinkhole of D1. Sure everybody gets interested for the Big Dance but if you put the 6 Great WEst teams and had a bb tournament absolutely nobody would come to that either. Takes a lot to get people out of their house these days.
Agree with 89 jackrabbit about the rmac. Think Metro can be beaten bc they play a weak schedule. My big concern is that UNK beat UNO at home and without a lot of struggle. Then Metro has beaten UNK 3 times including once at UNK. I can't remember the last time uno won at UNK. We have won a handful of games at sdsu but winning at unk is a monumental task. Says something about Metro. I would love to see uno, usd and even sdsu make the elite 8 before metro.
Anybody who thinks all of d2 is dead only needs to go to a bb game at Kentucky WEsleyan or Univ of Southern Indiana. D2 is not dead at all.

89rabbit
03-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Jackrabbit, *I went to the Elite 8 a few years ago in Evansville and you are 100 percent right *that other than the team's fans there are only a few hardcore bb junkies there. *What you fail to mention is that it will be the same for ndsu/sdsu in the sinkhole of D1. *Sure everybody gets interested for the Big Dance but if you put the 6 Great WEst teams and had a bb tournament absolutely nobody would come to that *either. *Takes a lot to get people out of their house these days.
Agree with 89 jackrabbit about the rmac. *Think Metro can be beaten bc they play a weak schedule. *My big concern is that UNK beat UNO at home and without a lot of struggle. *Then Metro has beaten UNK 3 times including once at UNK. *I can't remember the last time uno won at UNK. *We have won a handful of games at sdsu but winning at unk is a monumental task. *Says something about Metro. *I would love to see uno, usd and even sdsu make the elite 8 before metro.
Anybody who thinks all of d2 is dead only needs to go to a bb game at Kentucky WEsleyan or Univ of Southern Indiana. *D2 is not dead at all.

Not a bad post, but I will have to disagree with you. Who will show up if the Great West Schools played a basketball tourney, you asked. SDSU would. We have lead the Nation in attendence 5 of the last 8 years. We still hold the NCAA D-II Playoff Attendence record for our Win over Cal-State Hayward in 1985 (9,339). Not taking anything away from Kentucky Wesleyan but have you been to Frost Arena? There has been no better place for D-II basketball then Frost Arena. As I have been saying all along, the NCC as a whole is a D-I Conf. but not every school sees it that way. So be it. I am sure UNO, UND, USD and the rest made the right choice for their schools. As I am also sure that SDSU, NDSU, and UNC made the right choice for theirs. Peace be with you and good luck in the future.

Go State!

JACKGUY
03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
I will take that sinkhole of DI over the Regional and DII National Championships sites anyday. SDSU and NDSU will find a suitable conference in the near future and while we will miss our relationships in the NCC we are looking forward to a new era in our respective schools in DI. If UNO was smart they would have moved up with SDSU and NDSU. The city of Omaha might take more of interest in the school if they did!

JBB
03-09-2004, 11:28 PM
I think JackGuy is right about the interest level in Omaha with UNO DI. It is also true that we will miss our relationships in the NCC, at least for a little while. Its too bad so many of the NCC schools have copped such an attitude about this. Continued non-conference competition with some of the better schools would be exciting for regional fans. Maybe there will be more of that in BB next season? Many D2 football schools continue to schedule into DI-AA so Im hopeful that we might even get an NCC noncon game in the future too. If not, too bad for them.

maverick
03-10-2004, 04:29 AM
Some of the MIAA Football also has a D1 feel to it. I have been to UNO games at both Northwest Missouri and Pittsburgh St. and those are great atmosphere's. Northwest Missouri has just made renovations to their stadium and I hear it looks nice. I agree D2 is not dead.

Maverick

IowaBison
03-10-2004, 04:54 AM
that stadium in maryville is amazing good fans too,

maybe not worth my shit u will move up to D1 soon?

JACKGUY
03-10-2004, 02:32 PM
The NCC and a few other schools are on an island by themselves. They are the exception rather than the rule in DII. Take a look at what exists outside of the NCC in DII the vast majority of those schools look nothing like the NCC. I think if the other schools in the NCC had not been so shortsided we could have created a top notch DIAA Football conference and eventualy a good midwest
DI conference for everything else. Oh well time to move on with the excitement of what lies ahead.

JBB
03-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Its possible that D2 is going to have problems. *Several of the top MIAA schools have upgraded stadiums now find themselves in the same position that NDSU was in. *They need home games for the revenue and they are hard to find, even with the guarantee.

With the small schools dictating the agenda, the SSI discouraging competition and the regional realignments increasing travel costs, it all adds up to a lot more operating expense and no real increase in revenues, at least for the more progressive programs. *

Because of this the NCC is certainly limiting its options. *I think we know that the Ferris states of the world arent going to pay the bills. *Whats the point of having a DI-AA expense ledger and D2 competion? *

tony
03-10-2004, 06:06 PM
If the proposed changes go through and the DI BB wait is knocked down to five years if you join an established conference, we'd be kicking ourselves for being part of a DI NCC. Not only would our wait be 8 years longer for a BB autobid, but the hockey schools would want to cap football scholarships at some number below 63 (even if they have the money, they still would have serious Title IX situations).

jackmd
03-13-2004, 08:58 PM
UNO must have been satisfied with the NCC titles. Now they are done. USD 82 - 71 over the MAVS. This still goes down as one of the best years in UNO BB history. What does that tell you?

maverick
03-14-2004, 04:27 AM
Coach Mckenna and tha Maverick B-Ball team

Thanks for the ride. I knew it had to come to an end, but I enjoyed it all the way. The future holds bright. We have one best young coaches around and he says he is completely happy here. No one can take away our regular and tournament championships. Mavericks rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maverick