somebison
03-08-2004, 04:04 AM
CSP 1
UND 2
NDSU 3
SDSU 4
UNK 5
USD 6

NDSU has a tough draw, it is likely they would have to play USD, UND then SDSU, Personally I would rather have had the fourth seed than the third as we have had some problems with our first round match-up USD

D
03-08-2004, 04:16 AM
Dammit am I pissed right now. *The brackets are a complete joke led by the team on top. *SDSU gets rewarded by losing in the conference tourney semis with a free ride to the regional title game. *If you ask me, it is a complete joke giving CSP the top seed. *They lose their conference championship to a Duluth team that, when I saw them in December in GF, looked like they have trouble with the Casselton handicap all-star team. *Now they lose their #2 scorer in the NSIC tourney, and still get to host in their gym which is new, seats 2000 max, but isn't as good as most ND Class A HS gyms. *I actually thought that with CSP losing today UND or NDSU would host, and I would have no problem if even NDSU hosted. *The NCAA is usually about the $$$, and I figured with the loss today coupled with the minimum 3X's larger attendence in GF or Fargo would make it an easy choice. *The UND-NDSU side of the bracket is a zillion times tougher then the other side. *This is the worst job of bracketing I can remember seeing. *

JACKGUY
03-08-2004, 04:22 AM
D, I'm heartbroken for you! Nice job with that #2 seed. I will take Concordia's gym and St Paul over Hyslop and Grand Forks anyday. You won't get past NDSU!

Bisonguy
03-08-2004, 04:33 AM
D,

You're getting NCAA DI and DII confused. DI is all about the $$$, DII is all about being "inclusive". ;) Remember, the regional format in DII is used so everyone has a chance to participate.

D
03-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Yeah, but wouldn't it seem obvious to those of us not involved that reason has to be coming into some of the people on the committee's heads?

D
03-08-2004, 04:44 AM
D, I'm heartbroken for you! Nice job with that #2 seed. I will take Concordia's gym and St Paul over Hyslop and Grand Forks anyday. You won't get past NDSU! *

If I were a SDSU fan I'd be piss-my-pants-happy too, not having to worry about going to round 1 or round 2 of the regional, no hotel expenses for those nights, only having to worry about getting to the Region Championship game on time.

filbert
03-08-2004, 04:48 AM
D?

Expecting reason out of a D-II selection committee?

Since when?

SDSU might have gotten a break because of last year's big trophy in the case in Frost Arena. If so, I'll take it.-

fight_on_sioux
03-08-2004, 04:49 AM
ALRIGHT!!!! UND and NDSU may play one more time to get the chance to end the others season!!! Who the hell is Fort Lewis??

Good luck all NCC teams, hopefully one of them makes it to the elite eight.

JACKGUY
03-08-2004, 04:51 AM
Fort Lewis is lovely Durango Colorado.

JBB
03-08-2004, 12:22 PM
who the hell is und?

You have to laugh. another und wanker celebrating a chance to play NDSU.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
~wouldnt you wanna play UND...all these teams are happy to be here, but at the same time they are all have a goal of moving on..in my case it doesnt matter what the draw is, because in order to move on you have to beat the winners anyways, if we win sweet, if not it just wasnt meant to be....Id love to see one last Bison-Sioux game, and evenmoreso, a win.......

fight_on_sioux
03-09-2004, 05:41 AM
who the hell is und? *

You have to laugh. *another und wanker celebrating a chance to play NDSU. *

Who the hell is NDSU?? Okay kidding, I'm not as dumb as you. Losing the nickel three consecutive years makes people forget I guess..... ::)

Tuk
03-09-2004, 07:25 AM
I am actually kind of excited to see another game. Talk about the game to end all games (literally).....a final game to end the rivalry for good, end the season for one team, and final bragging rights for the rest of the year for the other team.

Must I ask for predictions? ;D

D--I bet you are voting Bison :) Atta boy!!

D
03-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Actually, I am going to make a surprise prediction and....take the Sioux. You have to like the way they are playing right now after taking down 2 of the best teams in the country last weekend. The host, CSP, will go one and done, and there will be millions of problems with tickets, the arena, parking, etc at the worst site for a regional the NCAA has ever selected.

Bison_Dan
03-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of D2 - D. Do you think that its going to get any better? Remember D2 = fairness and it's not fair to have the best teams win all the time. You just wait. It won't be long and you'll be see the light.

D
03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I actually saw the light a long time ago, it is Upchuck Kupchella who needs to see the light. At the same time though, every system/division has glaring flaws. Some are just quicker to react and fix those flaws, which D2 seems to moving at a snails pace to do.

JACKGUY
03-09-2004, 09:39 PM
I just shared my opinion with the Head Coach at Concordia and part of the North Central Region Selection. I conveyed that they have every right to host the event based on their success however to not have availability for fans to buy advance tickets and to play the event in a 2200 person facility is depriving numerous fans from seeing the event or even attempting to see the event. He responded simply "we did have a good season". You can reach him at Fessler@csp.ed

D
03-09-2004, 10:02 PM
I just shared my opinion with the Head Coach at Concordia and part of the North Central Region Selection. I conveyed that they have every right to host the event based on their success however to not have availability for fans to buy advance tickets and to play the event in a 2200 person facility is depriving numerous fans from seeing the event or even attempting to see the event. He responded simply "we did have a good season". * You can reach him at Fessler@csp.ed

I took care of that on Sunday night, saying pretty much the exact same, and was told in a reply on Mon, and I am typing what the email says, "CSP has just as much if not more right to host then does UND or NDSU. *The level of our team's play has been proven on the court by beating region powers NDSU and SDSU. *And while the our venue may not hold the most, it is more then adequately sized to hold this tournament. *The 4500 we anticipate being able to seat should be more then enough to cover all comers from the region. *You said you have been to our facility, then you know that the biggest obstacle we need to work around is parking. *That concern is understandable. *We hope to see you this coming weekend." *Apparently we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Bison_Dan
03-09-2004, 10:07 PM
I hope that SDSU pumps them by 30! ;D

teamsioux
03-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Please, which ever NCC school faces CSP first...please thump them!! I would even have to cheer for the Bison in a CSP/NDSU title game. That makes me whince even thinking that! ;)

A question for Bison fans....What happened with that girl from Ohio St, Gibbs. I think I seen she played in a few games early. Injured, quit school?

Bisonguy
03-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Please, which ever NCC school faces CSP first...please thump them!! *I would even have to cheer for the Bison in a CSP/NDSU title game. *That makes me whince even thinking that! *;)

A question for Bison fans....What happened with that girl from Ohio St, Gibbs. * I think I seen she played in a few games early. *Injured, quit school?

I think she is injured. She only played in two games officially.

roadwarrior
03-10-2004, 06:11 AM
She was injured, and sat with the team on the bench during home games in street clothes.

jackmd
03-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I took care of that on Sunday night, saying pretty much the exact same, and was told in a reply on Mon, and I am typing what the email says, "CSP has just as much if not more right to host then does UND or NDSU. *The level of our team's play has been proven on the court by beating region powers NDSU and SDSU. *And while the our venue may not hold the most, it is more then adequately sized to hold this tournament. *The 4500 we anticipate being able to seat should be more then enough to cover all comers from the region. *You said you have been to our facility, then you know that the biggest obstacle we need to work around is parking. *That concern is understandable. *We hope to see you this coming weekend." *Apparently we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Where is he getting 4500 from? Here is the latest from the regional website:

Tickets

Tickets can be purchased at the gate. The ticket window for the games will open an hour before the first game each session. ALL SEATS ARE GENERAL ADMISSION - THERE WILL BE NO RESERVED SEATING - The Gangelhoff Center will hold 2,700 fans for the 2004 NCAA North Central Regional

http://www.csp.edu/athletics/root/wbsktbll/2004wbbregional.htm

Bison and Sue fans, please move your cars so we don't have to park in Hastings for the evening games Friday night. *With the UND and NDSU men absent from the region and SDSU's men out in Denver I suspect Concordia is in for a bit of an NCC suprise. *

Whoever can stick around Friday night should put on their UMD shirts under their blue and gold or green and give the Bulldogs the best road crowd they have ever had! *In fact, if the UMD faithful have some spare shirts they should supply them for us. *Disposing of Concordia Friday night will free up considerable parking spaces and seats for the real regional which starts on Saturday. *Maybe the regional organizers are counting on this? *Am I looking past UNK? *Sorry.

JACKGUY
03-11-2004, 07:20 PM
The funny thing is I don't Concordia winning or losing will have much impact on the crowd as they don't have much of a following. Frankly, I would like the opportunity to play them and repay our earlier loss.

D
03-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Where is he getting 4500 from? *Here is the latest from the regional website:

Tickets

Tickets can be purchased at the gate. The ticket window for the games will open an hour before the first game each session. ALL SEATS ARE GENERAL ADMISSION - THERE WILL BE NO RESERVED SEATING - The Gangelhoff Center will hold 2,700 fans for the 2004 NCAA North Central Regional

http://www.csp.edu/athletics/root/wbsktbll/2004wbbregional.htm

Bison and Sue fans, please move your cars so we don't have to park in Hastings for the evening games Friday night. *With the UND and NDSU men absent from the region and SDSU's men out in Denver I suspect Concordia is in for a bit of an NCC suprise. *

Whoever can stick around Friday night should put on their UMD shirts under their blue and gold or green and give the Bulldogs the best road crowd they have ever had! *In fact, if the UMD faithful have some spare shirts they should supply them for us. *Disposing of Concordia Friday night will free up considerable parking spaces and seats for the real regional which starts on Saturday. *Maybe the regional organizers are counting on this? *Am I looking past UNK? *Sorry.

I was wondering the same thing about the 4500 number. Earlier in the week CSP had a press release stating that the Gangelhoff Center would hold 4500, and having been there I know that is impossible. They have released a couple numbers as far as capacity goes, their website states the arena holds 1200.

JBB
03-11-2004, 10:32 PM
another suck fan pining for a game with NDSU is a perfect picture of an idiot. I have never heard of und or the nickle. Penny for your thoughts, keep the change. ::)

roadwarrior
03-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Maybe they can seat 4500 in folding chairs on the floor if they raise that curtain behind the temp bleachers!

IowaBison
03-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Maybe if they move the milk cooler there will be enough room in their cafegymatorium.

NDSU_grad
03-12-2004, 02:48 AM
I remember in high school whenever we had a big game we'd set folding chairs up on the stage. Maybe they could do that.

Bisonguy
03-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Maybe if they move the milk cooler there will be enough room in their cafegymatorium.

Sacrilege!

Fridays are chocolate milk day!

89rabbit
03-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Sacrilege!

Fridays are chocolate milk day!

Both you and Iowa Bison make me laugh! That is funny! ;D

Tuk
03-12-2004, 09:20 AM
I think someone should call the fire marshal in St. Paul. You know there is a fire code violation in effect if they try to pack the gymnasium/cafeteria with 4500 people.

Then the NCAA would have no choice but to relocate.

Schemer
03-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Fire code...

I know all about Fire Code.

What seems to get the issue tuquey tuky? ;D

tony
03-12-2004, 01:44 PM
That is a very tough draw for NDSU. I definitely agree that a fourth-seed would have been better. Too bad the NCAA doesn't let you switch seeds with somebody lower. NCC teams can easily end up playing the same team three times in three weeks.

-----------

Fire Code Section 17.10.6: Thou shalt not stack people.

a. Stacking levels may exceed one (1) level deep if the the second level is comprised of children under forty (40) pounds.
b. Average people-stacking depth cannot exceed 1.25.

Bison7925
03-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Bison 70

Coyotes 63

Next up ???

BisonMav
03-12-2004, 11:44 PM
It was nice to have a local game today. Good game to win. Fricke made some good 3-ptrs. Bison also did a good job defending Koupal. She was getting frustrated. She worked hard for most of her points, but she still got 32. The team beat the individual. Didn't have to worry about the seating capacity, attendance 600. 3 of the 175 UND fans applauded the Bison after the victory.

roadwarrior
03-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Koupal had 10 very easy points in the first 3 minutes of the game. After that, the Bison played "keep away" defense and forced a lot of shots from the outside. Yeah, she got 32 but if she was on my team, I'd get her the ball all day too.

The Bison finally get a win in that gym, after losing the first two games of the season there.

jackmd
03-13-2004, 05:12 AM
Koupal had 10 very easy points in the first 3 minutes of the game. *After that, the Bison played "keep away" defense and forced a lot of shots from the outside. *Yeah, she got 32 but if she was on my team, I'd get her the ball all day too.

The Bison finally get a win in that gym, after losing the first two games of the season there.

I'm not sure SDSU wins the National Championship if Koupal stays. This is up for debate.

"Gym" is the proper description for that sorry excuse for a regional host. No way 2,700 fit in there. Attendance tonight was listed at 900 and the place was at least half full. Nice 2nd half by the Jacks women, but we need to play a full 40 minutes if we want to beat Concordia in that band box. (8:00 p.m. - #1 Concordia-St. Paul 73, #8 Minnesota-Duluth 54)

Good luck against UND, not impressed by their performance today. I hope they can fit all the fans in that gym tomorrow night. I'll be there.

Tuk
03-13-2004, 05:36 AM
Bison win and the Siouxage win, so who is ready to fill the lunch room at C-St. Paul? Bison/Sioux III is on, and may the best team (Bison) win!!!

D---you still going with UNS (Upstate Normal School)....err...I mean UND?? Come out from the darkness of UND and back into the beacon of light that is NDSU.... ;D

Tuk
03-13-2004, 05:36 AM
D--I got to tease a little....no offense :)

D
03-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Bison win and the Siouxage win, so who is ready to fill the lunch room at C-St. Paul? *Bison/Sioux III is on, and may the best team (Bison) win!!!

D---you still going with UNS (Upstate Normal School)....err...I mean UND?? *Come out from the darkness of UND and back into the beacon of light that is NDSU.... ;D

This is how the rivalry should end, it is almost perfect, only way it could be better is if it was the region championship game, but for all intensive purposes it already is. I'm glad the Sioux got the crap out of their pants today, it won't fly playing like that tommorrow. Good luck all and may the best team (Fighting Sioux) win :).

wfduck
03-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Sue suck...hope they get crushed

BisonMav
03-14-2004, 02:43 AM
Tough loss, but great game. *Coming back from 17 points down at the half, only to lose with a UND basket with 4.4 seconds left. *The despiration 3-pt by UND at the half was big toward the final score. *Cold shooting in the first half, and UND shot better. *The Bison women showed a lot of heart in the second half. *Great game Lady Bison.

silkamilkamonico
03-14-2004, 03:14 AM
~yeah it was a great game....heartbreaking loss for the girls.....I feel so bad for them.....

.....its finally over....and I wont be afraid to say it...but I hope we never play the Sioux again in basketball or football...sick of losing to them.....its been fun but good riddance.... ;)

89rabbit
03-14-2004, 04:26 AM
Its a final: SDSU 74 - CSP 39. Sorry we won't be playing you on Monday. We will do our best to end the Sioux's season.

Go State!

jackmd
03-14-2004, 04:26 AM
SDSU women blow out some NSIC school that never should have hosted the regional. Good thing for us!! We have a hell of a lot better chance against the Sue in St. Paul. I look forward to the rematch. We remain the defending champions of the region and the nation. SDSU men lead 49-34 over NSU at the half. Metro waits in the wings.

fight_on_sioux
03-14-2004, 04:50 AM
I hope we never play the Sioux again in basketball or football...sick of losing to them.....its been fun but good riddance.... ;)

I knew, NDSU would get tired of losing to UND at some point. JK

My little brother (an NDSU student, who plays in the bb pep band) and I were watching the UND hockey game tonight listening and waiting for updates on the game. I had the advantage early with the big lead at half, but as the bison got closer I heard more and more crap. I guess I have bragging rights until UND goes DI. Sounded like a great game from both schools, and it was decided at the end like all the other games were.

PS: Its good there is a day off for UND because SDSU would probably beat the $hit out of UND if the game was on Sunday.... :-[

jackmd
03-14-2004, 05:06 AM
Not that most of you care but the Jacks lead 86-61 over some team from the NSIC. *I still can't believe they are a DII conference. *I think some of their teams will be in the NCC next year, I hope I'm mistaken.

I think the team our women played in some high school gym also hosted a DII national tournament. *I wonder when they will be a NCC school? *It could happen.

Jacks win 99-80. That NSIC is one tough conference!!

DIBISON
03-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Congrats to the Jacks in both tournaments!

Yes I do too don't like losing to the sioux, but in sports it happens.

Maybe the sioux women are like their football team, where they have been getting all the breaks! The sioux women could have very easily lost both their Friday & Saturday game. Both were last shot games yet the sioux are still playing. Humm!

I won't miss the sioux because we lost a couple of games to them during the last few years, but I won't miss the luck they seem to possess in their major sports. Now being the Bison are gone, their luck will probably be gone too!

wsuwarrior
03-14-2004, 10:12 AM
That NSIC is one tough conference!!

Yea, because the Jacks did a great job again WSU in football... http://www.winona.edu/athletics/football/statistics/2003%20results/03SDSWSU.HTM

And they must have defeated WSU in Women's basketball... http://www.winona.edu/athletics/wbasketball/Boxscores/03-04%20Boxscores/09SDSWSU.HTM

Well, how about Men's basketball... http://www.winona.edu/athletics/mbasketball/2003-04boxscores/10WSUSDS.HTM

Hey, 1 out of the 3 isn't too bad! *Yes, the NSIC isn't to the level of the NCC. *But I can't see what the future of the NCC or NSIC has to do with the Jackrabbits, since SDSU is going to D-I.

JBB
03-14-2004, 02:38 PM
I think the NSIC is a typical D2 conference. Is that good or Bad?

I guess for NDSU that was the end of D2. It was a great run. Next season will be a lot different for the new DI schools and the new NCC.

silkamilkamonico
03-14-2004, 07:08 PM
I knew, NDSU would get tired of losing to UND at some point. *JK

My little brother (an NDSU student, who plays in the bb pep band) and I were watching the UND hockey game tonight listening and waiting for updates on the game. *I had the advantage early with the big lead at half, but as the bison got closer I heard more and more crap. *I guess I have bragging rights until UND goes DI. *Sounded like a great game from both schools, and it was decided at the end like all the other games were.

PS: *Its good there is a day off for UND because SDSU would probably beat the $hit out of UND if the game was on Sunday.... :-[

~l~ Ill say it....everytime I watch a Bison/Sioux game that means something a little more than a conference win the Bison lose.....the last game I remember seeing was a Bison win in football in the playoffs like 7 years ago with Lamar Gordon.......I am sick and tired of it..... :(

.....oh well...would rather the Sioux win the other team outside the NCC....but I guess for now I have to go for SDSU.....

mustangfan
03-15-2004, 01:32 PM
You know, CSP was without their best player. CSP was a good team but when you lose your best player to injury, your team changes. CSP beat SDSU earlier this year and if their best player is on the court, who knows what happens.

But she wasn't there and SDSU won. Good luck SDSU

Any truth to the rumor that AJ is going to Mankato?

JACKGUY
03-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Your trying to insunate there second leading scorer was going to change the outcome? I was at the game and CSP did not even giving a hint of being able to compete with the Jacks that night. It was total domination from start to finnish. That would be like saying Matt Jones our best player who did not play in our 40 point loss to Metro last night could have altered the course of the game. The CSP coach said it best when asked the difference between winning against the jacks in December and now. He stated there is a big difference between a game in December and playing the defending Regional Champs and Natl Champs in the semi-finals game of the regionals. "They were relentless". Maybe you want to come up with excuses MustangFan but the CSP coach did not.

D
03-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Wasn't CSP's best player, who wasn't playing, 6-8 and averaging 40 points a game. *That is why they lost by so much, put her 40 points back in the lineup and CSP wins.........Please.

mustangfan
03-16-2004, 12:55 AM
I wasn't making excuse, but when everyone rips CSP for being the #1 team and that they shouldn't be there and the score against SDSU proves that is a joke! Concordia is a good team.

I also believe if Jones plays for SDSU it would've been a better game.

One question, how did Metro State lose to both Duluth and Winona this year? I hope the Metro State coach leaves so that program can come back down to earth

mustangfan
03-16-2004, 01:00 AM
One other thing, I'll have to look. I heard last night again SDSU was talking about how "old" Metro State was, etc with age. Did I hear right that no one on the team is older than 23? I'm not saying that is correct, but if it is, who can SDSU be saying that if it isn't true

DIBISON
03-16-2004, 03:43 AM
Congrats to SDSU for giving the sioux a taste of their own medicine by winning the regional women's basketball championship! The sioux women got the breaks in their first two regional games and almost pulled the championship game out of their shorts. But breaks don't last forever, ask the sioux football team!

And others say that the NCC will still be the same next year. Defintely not in women's hoops, as NDSU is the conference champion and SDSU is the regional (and maybe national) champion.

Good job lady Bison & Jacks!

filbert
03-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Just idle talk at this point, but who's going to challenge UND for the NCC title next year? USD is losing Koupal and will probably fall back to the pack. Augie is always decent. Who else in the conference is even close to the level that UND, NDSU, and SDSU have been at the past few years? Right now I'm thinking UND will win the conference pretty easily with NDSU and SDSU out of the way.

Jackrabbit
03-16-2004, 10:54 AM
UND will go through the conference undefeated and will win the regional. There isn't another school in the region that can match up with them.

JBB
03-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Congratulations to SDSU!! Nice win for the elite 8 and a shot at the crown.

Bison_Dan
03-16-2004, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't hand the NCC to und to soon - they won't have such a great team next year. They lose their best players and I don't see the bench as their stength this year. The NCC will suck next year in quality and quantity in every sport.

jackmd
03-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Just idle talk at this point, but who's going to challenge UND for the NCC title next year? *USD is losing Koupal and will probably fall back to the pack. *Augie is always decent. *Who else in the conference is even close to the level that UND, NDSU, and SDSU have been at the past few years? *Right now I'm thinking UND will win the conference pretty easily with NDSU and SDSU out of the way.

I think Upper Iowa has a good shot. ::)

JBB
03-16-2004, 05:53 PM
The NCC will always be competitive among its own members, it has never been that great in BB, give or take one team or two now and again.

D
03-16-2004, 06:13 PM
The NCC will always be competitive among its own members, it has never been that great in BB, give or take one team or two now and again.

The NCC has never been great in women's basketball?

JACKGUY
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
JBB, I totally disagree with that statement. The NCC has always been one of ther premier DII Basketball conferences in both Men and Womens. I don't think NC is a complete measuring stick. If it was then Women certainly have dominated. That is why I think SDSU and NDSU womens Basketball programs will have the easiest transition to DI sports than any other sport.

JBB
03-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Excuse me D, but I was talking about the men, sorry to mislead you. *Im not sure what measure you would use other than National titles. *Except for the Jacks, its been hit and miss for everyone else and there are no national titles to show for it. *Football has a lot of NCs, or used too anyway before the top teams moved up. Its the real measure.

Anybody who doesnt think the Mid con is a step up might not have their eyes all the way open. *It is more than enough for both NDSU and SDSU. *I think there are 2 Mid Con teams in the NCAA.

NDSU_grad
03-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Valpo is the only Mid-Con team in the "Big Dance". I'm pretty sure they don't have any teams in the NIT.

89rabbit
03-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Not sure why you are talking about the Men's D-I Bracket under Women's BB bracket, but ok I will play. The Mid-Con did only get one team in the Big Dance and none in the NIT. Last year IUPUI got in the NCAA, and Valpo was in the NIT. There is a nice story in the Des Moines Register about getting into the dance and what it means to the Schools and Conf.

http://desmoinesregister.com/sports/stories/c6902885/23821596.html

UNI's tournament berth money in bank for league
By TOM WITOSKY
Register Staff Writer
03/17/2004
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
Northern Iowa's berth in the NCAA men's basketball tournament will provide the Missouri Valley Conference with more than $550,000 over the next six years, the conference's top official said.

"You can't put a price on what having Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois in the tournament means for us in terms of visibility and prestige," said Doug Elgin, commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference, which usually has only one NCAA Tournament team. "The additional cash is going to be pretty nice, too."

NCAA Division I basketball conferences will receive $105.3 million from the NCAA's basketball fund this year. The money is distributed from the 11-year television contract with CBS Sports, which provides an average of $595 million per year to the NCAA over the length of the contract.

Elgin said each game played by a school in this year's tournament will be worth $152,652. In addition to that money brought in by Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois, the MVC will receive credit for the total number of games played by the two schools this year over the next five years.

NCAA officials allocate money from their basketball fund on the basis of each conference's performance in the tournament over a six-year period. As a result, Elgin estimated that Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois' bids in this year's tournament will generate a combined $1.12 million over the next six years - even if they are eliminated after one game. . . .

. . . .Northern Iowa's appearance this year will be the first time the school has generated basketball fund money for the conference. In 1990, money from Northern Iowa's two NCAA Tournament games was paid to the Mid-Continent Conference.

Hartzell said the conference's distribution policy will provide the school with $50,000 to help pay for expenses of this week's trip to Milwaukee, where the 14th-seeded Panthers will meet No. 3 seed Georgia Tech.

If the Panthers would advance beyond this weekend, the school would receive another $50,000.

Go State!

D
03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Valpo is the only Mid-Con team in the "Big Dance". *I'm pretty sure they don't have any teams in the NIT.

Yep, Valpo is the only Mid-Con team in NCAA tourney and no Mid-Con teams in the NIT.

Some interesting postseason team facts, of the teams in the Big Dance and NIT, 43/65 NCAA tourney teams and 27/40 NIT teams are from the same 10 conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, CUSA, WAC, Mountain West, Pac-10, SEC, Atlantic 10, and Big East). So 70/105 teams are from the same 10 conferences, and there are 31 D1 conferences. That leaves 35 spots for 21 mid and low-major conferences (which was made larger by 2 teas turning down the NIT). The Missouri Valley sent 4, MAC sent 3, then leaving 28 spots for 19 conferences. I find the number breakdown interesting every year.

NDSU_grad
03-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Not sure why you are talking about the Men's D-I Bracket under Women's BB bracket, but ok I will play. *The Mid-Con did only get one team in the Big Dance and none in the NIT. *Last year IUPUI got in the NCAA, and Valpo was in the NIT. *There is a nice story in the Des Moines Register about getting into the dance and what it means to the Schools and Conf.

http://desmoinesregister.com/sports/stories/c6902885/23821596.html

UNI's tournament berth money in bank for league
By TOM WITOSKY
Register Staff Writer
03/17/2004
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
Northern Iowa's berth in the NCAA men's basketball tournament will provide the Missouri Valley Conference with more than $550,000 over the next six years, the conference's top official said.

"You can't put a price on what having Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois in the tournament means for us in terms of visibility and prestige," said Doug Elgin, commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference, which usually has only one NCAA Tournament team. "The additional cash is going to be pretty nice, too."

NCAA Division I basketball conferences will receive $105.3 million from the NCAA's basketball fund this year. The money is distributed from the 11-year television contract with CBS Sports, which provides an average of $595 million per year to the NCAA over the length of the contract.

Elgin said each game played by a school in this year's tournament will be worth $152,652. In addition to that money brought in by Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois, the MVC will receive credit for the total number of games played by the two schools this year over the next five years.

NCAA officials allocate money from their basketball fund on the basis of each conference's performance in the tournament over a six-year period. As a result, Elgin estimated that Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois' bids in this year's tournament will generate a combined $1.12 million over the next six years - even if they are eliminated after one game. . . .

. . . .Northern Iowa's appearance this year will be the first time the school has generated basketball fund money for the conference. In 1990, money from Northern Iowa's two NCAA Tournament games was paid to the Mid-Continent Conference.

Hartzell said the conference's distribution policy will provide the school with $50,000 to help pay for expenses of this week's trip to Milwaukee, where the 14th-seeded Panthers will meet No. 3 seed Georgia Tech.

If the Panthers would advance beyond this weekend, the school would receive another $50,000. *
Go State!

Let me see if I got this right. *Let's say both UNI and SIU make it to the elite eight, so that will be a total of 8 games. *That's ~1.2 million dollars. *But the schools will only get 400,000 (50,000 X 8 )? *Does the remaining 800,000 go into a "general" fund for the conference? *Also, if UNI and SIU play eight games this year, does that mean that for the next five years the MVC will get eight games worth of revenue even if they go one and done? *

I've always wondered how the money broke down from the big TV contract, it's pretty interesting.