03-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Here is part of a story from Today's Sioux Falls Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Tuesdayfeature.shtml

SDSU women athletes poised to ascend
Chris Solari
csolari@argusleader.com

published: 3/23/2004

Jackrabbits' national success offers hope for Division I achievement

BROOKINGS - As the South Dakota State University women's basketball team tries this week to win its second straight national championship, it might be the last time for a while that any Jackrabbit athletes play for such a title.

While the women are focusing on the task before them, the ripple effect starting Wednesday night at that NCAA Division II tournament in Missouri could help the school in all sports as it moves next year to Division I.

SDSU will upgrade its entire athletic program to Division I, the highest classification the National Collegiate Athletic Association offers, and will not be eligible for the 64-team women's basketball tournament at that level until 2009. But the women's program is expected to help put the school on the Division I map long before that. . . .

"It's always been about doing the absolute best we can, and right now, the best is to be one of the best teams in Division II," Johnston said. "Next year at Division I, we might not compete in the postseason tournament, but that doesn't mean we're still not going to be the best team we can in Division I." . . .

Exhibition success

Having played well in four Division I exhibition games against regional opponents the past two seasons already has the Jackrabbits on the radar.

"I think playing some of those exhibition games and doing well against teams like Iowa, Colorado, Minnesota and Drake has helped us in Division II, and playing them will help us have some respect as we go to Division I," Johnston said.

Three of those - Minnesota, Iowa and Colorado - are in this year's NCAA Division I tournament. And though the Jackrabbits lost all of those games, they made some believers.

Iowa coach Lisa Bluder called the Jackrabbits an excellent basketball team. Minnesota's Pam Borton said, "We were very impressed" - and that was before the Jacks made their championship run a year ago. This year Colorado coach Ceal Berry said of the Jacks' prospects in Division I: "The way they played tonight, they could be a top 64 team." . . .

One of the biggest points against moving to Division I was talk that South Dakota athletes would have less chance to play for SDSU.

Not so, Johnston said. He talks of South Dakota players such as Lindsay Thomas, a graduate of Roosevelt High School in Sioux Falls, who chose to play Division I at Colorado State. Megan Mahoney, from Sturgis, went to Kansas State. He thinks Sieler, from Huron, is a Division I caliber player already, as is Clark native Shannon Schlagel and Vogel, who's from St. Peter, Minn.

"Part of why some of these local players chose Division II out of high school is that Division I just has no foothold here in South Dakota," Johnston said.

Most of the women on the SDSU roster have played with or against many top-level Division I players during high school and on traveling summer teams.

Plus, the Jackrabbits should benefit from five more scholarships, to a new limit of 15, by going to Division I. . . .

With a whirlwind last month of traveling for conference and regional tournaments, the Jackrabbits also have had to face speculation about the future.

One report mentioned Johnston as a possibility for moving to the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Another placed him as a prospect for the Minnesota State-Mankato coaching job to stay close to home and in Division II. Another had Vogel, a freshman this season, transferring to Mankato.

"I'm not looking at any Division II jobs at all," Johnston said. "I never applied for the Mankato job. I wouldn't apply for the Omaha job. I'm excited about being a Division I coach, to be honest with you. For me right now, looking at another Division II job would be a step backwards." . . .

While the NCAA title is out for a while, the 32-team Women's National Invitation Tournament is a possibility beginning in 2006. WNIT teams are selected by having winning records, being among the top 80 or 90 teams in Division I and showing proven attendance and support for women's basketball. Attendance is a factor, because WNIT games are on the campuses of participating colleges, unlike the NCAA tourney which designates host cities in major metropolitan areas. That means SDSU could host postseason games. . . .

Great Story! ;D

Go State!

tony
03-24-2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks, 89Rabbit, that's a really good story.