PDA

View Full Version : D-I basketball schedule

met1990
09-25-2003, 01:05 AM
I heard a rumor today that the SU men's basketball team has a game with Gonzaga lined up after the move to D-I. Possibly in the 05-06 season. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Also, what do you think the odds are that the Gary Barta connection will help in scheduling with Wyoming?

BisonBizzo
10-15-2003, 03:41 AM
This is old news and probably rumors also, but I thought I read in the forum months back that Gene was talking to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and Gonzaga about signing contracts (1 game home and 2 games away)

BisonMav
12-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Pioneer Press - Shooter:
The Western Illinois men's basketball team the Gophers play Saturday afternoon is 0-6 under coach Derek Thomas, a Gophers assistant under Dan Monson. Western Illinois will receive about $40,000 for coming to Williams Arena.

WIU is getting a good payday to play the Gophers.

IowaBison
12-05-2003, 04:46 PM
I can't see why the Bison wouldn't get the same or more, except that we might not be anywhere near the caliber of team that the Leathernecks are and that they want at least a little challenge.

We'd actually bring an audience.

D
12-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Bison basketball will most likely have a tougher time scheduling in year 1 & 2 than the football team. I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but D1 basketball teams are better off scheduling D2, D3, and NAIA teams than provisional D1 schools. A little quirk in the RPI, as I understand it. It's unlikely many big conference schools will be willing for a couple of years. I actually read an interesting article earlier this year where Rick Majerus talks about how stupid this is, and how he takes advantage of it by taking his team to his home state of Wisconsin and they play 1 or 2 NAIA schools there in January or Dec (can't remember which) and it is better for their RPI. The NCAA as a whole has some real strength of schedule issues.

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2003, 09:06 PM
I am sure that to play Wyoming the Bison would probably have to travel to Laramie. *Barta will probably still be looking out for the Wyoming interests, eventhough he is a NDSU alumnus.

Wyoming may be tough in BB this year. *On Saturday they just spanked the Washington Huskies in a solid effort.

BisonMav
01-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Pioneer Press stated that Wofford received $45,000 for their basketball game with the Minnesota Gophers this weekend. Not a bad payday.

GoAgs
01-10-2004, 09:15 PM
You guys won't have a hard time playing D1 basketball teams. Davis played @ Stanford, Oklahoma State, Nevada, and Pacific (w/ the Candyman) in the last few years of D2.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2004, 09:24 PM
~has anyone heard any kind of schedule so far for the mens team for next year...I have heard of a few womens games they have scheduled, but nothing from the men...doe we even have anybody on the schedule as of yet?

roadwarrior
03-09-2004, 12:18 AM
southwest state is on the schedule

filbert
03-09-2004, 12:29 AM
The trick is finding games in January and February when everyone else will be playing in conference.

SDSU and NDSU can only play each other so many times before we'll start really getting on each other's nerves....

somebison
03-09-2004, 01:32 AM
The trick is finding games in January and February when everyone else will be playing in conference.

SDSU and NDSU can only play each other so many times before we'll start really getting on each other's nerves....

thats what Northern Colorado is for ::)

filbert
03-09-2004, 01:51 AM
I just offered this up over on the Jackrabbit board. Not real happy about it but it might get us through a year or two...

OK, we've only got a couple of weeks of D-II basketball left. Time to start thinking seriously about the future.

It sure ain't the GWFC, but we could be looking at a de-facto Leftovers Conference for Basketball for 2004-05 made up of this year's independents plus the newbies from D-II:

South Dakota State Jackrabbits, Brookings, SD.(26-6)
Utah Valley State College Wolverines, Orem, UT (23-5)
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders, Corpus Christi, TX (15-11)
North Dakota State Bison, Fargo, ND (16-13)
Texas Pan American Broncs, Edinburg, TX (14-14)
Northern Colorado Bears, Greeley, CO (6-22)
Longwood University Lancers, Farmville, VA (5-22)
Savannah State Tigers, Savannah, GA (4-24)
IPFW Mastadons, Fort Wayne, IN (3-25)

Not much of a conference, but think about making the Texas trip some time in January or February...can anyone say Padre Island?

Plus, that's sixteen D-I games to help fill up January and February when everyone else is in conference, and a nice 9-team tournament to finish up the year. Let's face it, we've got a few years of wandering in the wilderness in front of us before "real" D-I conferences take us seriously. Might as well have a temporary conference to call home while we do our penance in Reclassification Purgatory.

Oh, and I can't seem to come up with a better name than the Leftovers Conference...anyone care to take a shot at it?

somebison
03-09-2004, 02:35 AM
The "Great Big Conference"

filbert
03-09-2004, 02:53 AM
The "Great Big Conference"
Hm, not bad, not bad...but shouldn't there be a "sun" in it somewhere?

The Great Big Sun Conference.

Nah, not quite right...need a number. The number doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the number of teams in the conference...this is Division I after all...

The Great Big Sun Twelve Conference.

Now we're getting somewhere!

somebison
03-09-2004, 03:51 AM
How about the "All Comers Conference" we could call it the ACC

BisonMav
03-22-2004, 02:27 AM
Next years women's basketball opponent Maryland, a #12 seed, upset #5 Miami today. They will be a quality DI opponent next year.

MN_BISONS
03-26-2004, 03:12 PM
I heard from a very good source last night that the Bison men are playing at Wyoming and Gonzaga next year and are getting a nice pay day for both.

WYOBISONMAN
03-26-2004, 05:15 PM
I would love to go to Laramie and see the Herd. Hell, after this season I think the Bison could give Wyoming a run for thier money.

roadwarrior
03-27-2004, 01:22 AM
With former Bison, Gary Barta, as the AD at Wyoming, I would expect that we will see competition with them in the future.

JBB
03-27-2004, 12:40 PM
I hope we get BB and Football. These would be great games for us.

Bison_Kent
03-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Here is a GF Herald article on NDSU's basketball schedule for next season.

What's up with the GF Herald writing about NDSU? I don't remember them ever writing much on NDSU in the past (other then possibly a short blurb).

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/8308592.htm

roadwarrior
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Maybe with the move to D-I, the Herald will provide more coverage for the Bison. Wouldn't that be a thorn in the sides of the sue fans?

Bison_Dan
03-30-2004, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't bet on it. The GF hearld is a lap dog of und and won't print or buries any news that is bad for und. Have you noticed that any bad new for Fargo or NDSU is always right on the front page. GF has such a inferiority complex that it's laughable. :-* :-*

WYOBISONMAN
03-30-2004, 04:05 PM
It was a good article....nice to see one like that in the Herald...

JBB
03-30-2004, 04:13 PM
It has been common to talk about how tough it will be to schedule the BB teams. Its encouraging to see that Miles only has 5 games left to schedule. I hope the women are having just as good luck as the men. Moving into DI BB is going to be a lot of fun.

It would be interesting to list the naysayer reasons for staying D2 and then keeping track how accurate those reasons were. No outlet for local and regional athletes was obviously a false prediction.

The more accurate view was how the best area athletes will be concentrated at NDSU.

Bisonguy
04-15-2004, 12:45 AM
From the WDAY 6:00 news- the women's games vs. Marshall and Maryland have been cancelled. The RPI was a factor. West Virginia and Marshall or Maryland, can't remember which one, will be on the women's schedule in 2 years.

Trimmy
04-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Does anyone know if there will be many times that the men and women play on the same night, if at all? Just curious how the season ticket situation will be.

By the way, I am an NDSU grad and have been a hardcore, then casual (when I played FB for a year at UND, sorry), and now hardcore Bison fan again. I went to a handful of events over the past couple years. Now, because they are Division I and I want to support them, I am joining Team Makers, buying FB season tix and considering BB season tix. I wonder how many others they hooked in like me with the move to DI.

Onward and upward!

JACKGUY
05-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Any updates on your Basketball schedule? All is quiet in Brookings. Only confirmed SDSU games that have been made public are Fresno State Tournament,Butler and Tennessee State.

somebison
05-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Any updates on your Basketball schedule? All is quiet in Brookings. Only confirmed SDSU games that have been made public are Fresno State Tournament,Butler and Tennessee State.

I am sure we will have games with all of the "independent alliance", I have a feeling the schedule may be ugly though (Dakota Wesleyan etc). Apparently UNC picked up a lot of their games last summer.

BisonMav
05-24-2004, 10:49 PM
I am sure we will have games with all of the "independent alliance", I have a feeling the schedule may be ugly though (Dakota Wesleyan etc). *Apparently UNC picked up a lot of their games last summer.
UMD and Northern have the Bison on their 2004-2005 schedules.

roadwarrior
05-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Last week when the Forum ran those articles about the D-I move, they had a graphic that showed airline trips. I think that it showed trips to Green Bay, Detroit (Oakland ?), Kansas City (UMKC?) and Denver for the men's basketball team next season.

WYOBISONMAN
05-24-2004, 11:26 PM
It would be nice to get some information as to what is shaping up for the BB season and how far we have to go to fill out the schedule. I think more information needs to be coming out of the athletic office.

JBB
05-25-2004, 05:51 AM
I dont mind scheduling the regional teams, especially if the DI games suggested are a reality. There are a lot of BB dates to fill. Its different than football.

BisonMav
05-26-2004, 12:46 PM
From today's Forum. 10 Division I teams for the men is good.

Schedule almost finished

North Dakota State is one game away from releasing its entire men's basketball schedule for next season – the school's first in Division I.

Ten of the 27 games will be played against Division I teams with almost all of those on the road. The exception is South Dakota State, which is also beginning a Division I transition.

NDSU will have Minnesota-Duluth at home and play Northern State (S.D.) in a home-and-home contract. Minnesota State Moorhead is not on the schedule.

The Bison women, meanwhile, only have SDSU on their Division I menu next season. NDSU, in both men and women, would have to have 24 of its 28 games against Division I competition in order to count as a Division I opponent in the power rankings.

The Bison will be a "counter" starting in 2005-06.

"I just said let's wait another year," said NDSU head coach Amy Ruley. "We're working now on the following year getting home and aways."

Next year's schedule will look similar to prior years when the Bison were in the North Central Conference. Opponents include Minnesota-Duluth, Minnesota State Mankato and Bentley College (Mass.).

The Bison will also play in tournaments in Florida and Texas.

89rabbit
05-26-2004, 04:38 PM
From today's Forum. *10 Division I teams for the men is good. *

What happened to the two Texas schools, Utah Valley St., IUPU Ft. Wyane, and UNC? *I would think they would all be coming to Fargo and Brookings, even in our first season in D-I. *That should be 6 D-I home games right there, and 12 D-I games over all (6 home and homes) before you pick any other up (like the Fresno St. tourney and Butler for SDSU). * ???

WYOBISONMAN
05-28-2004, 05:26 PM
I wonder if the rumors of a game against Wyoming in Laramie are true......I would love that.

Trimmy
06-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Did anyone catch that on WDAY last night about the schedule? It listed the teams we were playing, but I can't remember any of them. No big names. But, I didn't see any of the schools from the proposed alliance.

somebison
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
@Denver, E. Michigan, Oakland (MI)

UW-Green Bay Tourney- UWGB, Hartford or Rider
SDSU, home and away
Florida Gulf Coast Tourney (3 games)

probably also at UM- Kansas City

TheBisonator
06-06-2004, 02:35 AM
Man, if we can get 8 or 9 games versus DI teams, that would be SOOOO great.

filbert
06-06-2004, 04:43 PM
@Denver, E. Michigan, Oakland (MI)

UW-Green Bay Tourney- UWGB, Hartford or Rider
SDSU, home and away
Florida Gulf Coast Tourney (3 games)

probably also at UM- Kansas City
Just FYI, Florida Gulf Coast is reclassing TO D-II...although they held a tourney last year for D-I independents...UNC and Utah Valley State were at that one, iirc.

If the Bison play at UMKC, I'd probably go...and even root for the Green and Gold (even though UMKC's colors are closer to my beloved Yellow and Blue).

WYOBISONMAN
06-09-2004, 09:56 PM
I am surprised that we have seen no game scheduled against UNC....it isn't even in the rumor mill. Seems strange to me. It is too quiet on the BB scheduling front. I suspect things must not be going real well.

IowaBison
06-09-2004, 10:14 PM
I wonder if Taylor didn't kill himself getting the football schedule.

roadwarrior
06-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Even with the NCC schedule in the past, the basketball schedules were not usually released until late summer.

jackmd
06-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Some nice company for the SDSU women. *I like seeing our logo associated with these schools. *No slurs against Native American culture or good taste in general (USD).

http://www.paradisejam.com/pages/w_teams.htm

Credit to JBNJBQ from SDSU board.

WYOBISONMAN
06-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey Jack.....that looks great!! Another reason to leave the NCC in the dust. ;D

IowaBison
06-10-2004, 12:49 AM
and a great reason for jackmd to visit the caribbean med school where he got his degree

89rabbit
06-10-2004, 01:28 AM
and a great reason for jackmd to visit the caribbean med school where he got his degree

I'm not sure that you can call Vermillion the caribbean. *;) *That's right our good Doctor Rabbit lived amongst the Coyotes, but their vile nature never rubbed off on him. *Hats off to you jackmd, I too did some time down in the hole, I know how it feels. ;)

Go State! *;D

jackmd
06-10-2004, 03:14 AM

I wasn't good enough for a sham caribbean school. I had to attend USD and suffer for 4 years. Thats all in the past now. I barely remember Vermillion, but what I do remember sucks!! However, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!

Onward to DI, just imagine the poor SDSU and NDSU students who do want to attend law school or med school in there home state. They have to move down to a DII level university. Sucks to be them! I hope by the time my children are old enough to become doctors and lawyers (no pressure but my brother is an attorney) this is not the case. Go Jackrabbits!

WYOBISONMAN
06-10-2004, 09:53 AM
You can always go over to the University of Minnesota and be D1.... ;)

BisonMav
06-10-2004, 02:52 PM
It is too quiet on the BB scheduling front. *I suspect things must not be going real well.

This is what the Forum said on May 26th.

North Dakota State is one game away from releasing its entire men's basketball schedule for next season; the school's first in Division I.

Denver
Eastern Michigan
UW-Green Bay Tourney - 2 games
SDSU - 2 games
Northern State - 2 games
UMD
Florida Gulf Coast Tourney - 3 games
UMKC

13 games right there, that's about half the schedule.

TheBisonator
06-17-2004, 10:00 AM
Why can't some of the good NCC teams schedule us for basketball next year, like Nebraska-Omaha or South Dakota? I know the Sue are out of the question, but there's other teams we could play. They haven't all finished their schedules yet, have they?

JACKGUY
06-17-2004, 03:23 PM
I will tell why it's pure vegenence. There way of getting back at us for leaving the conference is to not schedule us. They will come crawling for a game in future years.

SDSUFAN
06-18-2004, 07:15 AM
I will tell why it's pure vegenence. There way of getting back at us for leaving the conference is to not schedule us. They will come crawling for a game in future years.

Jackguy is right on. Plus I think paying gurareetees come into the picture, and the NCC schools will want more than the budgets will allow.

I think the NCC was generous in awarding the top media award to Steve Imming Voice of the Jacks and the Bison Voice Scott Miller. Both were deserving and maybe only our departure got them this award. I believe its call the Ed Kolpack award named after Jeff's father and a long time reporter for the Forum.

Although Ed Schultz had a good radio voice, and did a good job on BB, I still prefer Scott Miller and his "My oh my" to Ed's arrogance. Scott seems like a good guy and has been very generous to SDSU when we have out played the Bison in basketball.

Bisonguy
06-24-2004, 04:35 AM
via the WDAY 10:00 news=
Sounds like the women might be hosting Tennessee within a few years. Ruley was talking to the Lady Vols head coach Pat Summit about a game at the Hall of Fame induction, and she said they would love to come to Fargo in the future. :o

BisonMav
06-25-2004, 01:42 PM
This is what the Forum said on May 26th.

Denver
Eastern Michigan
UW-Green Bay Tourney - 2 games
SDSU - 2 games
Northern State - 2 games
UMD
Florida Gulf Coast Tourney - 3 games
UMKC

13 games right there, that's about half the schedule.

Add 3 more games for a total of 16 somewhat known games.
Southwest Classic
11/26 Northern State (3rd time)
11/27 Southwest State

1/24 Southwest State in Fargo

Women
12/15 UMC - Fargo
1/29 Montana St Billings - Away
2/12 Montana St Billings - Fargo

BisonMav
07-19-2004, 02:06 PM
These are the dates that I have found, please feel free to add if you know other dates/games.
11/21 A Denver
11/26 SW State Classic Northern State
11/27 SWSC Southwest State
12/4 * A Northern St
12/6 * H Jamestown
12/15 H*UMD
1/3 * * H Minot St
1/15 * A South Dakota St
1/24 * H Southwest State
1/4 * * H Northern St
2/5 * * H Sri-Tanka Huron
2/11 * H Mayville St
2/12 * H Upper Iowa

Women
11/19 H Dickinson St
11/20 H Bemidji St
11/25 TAMUK Turkey Shootout Southwestern Oklahoma St
11/26 TAMUK TS St Edwards
11/27 TAMUK TS St Mary's
12/6 * H Mary
12/15 H UMC
12/20 Orlando, FLA Lake Superior St
1/8 * * A Wisconsin Stout
1/15 * H Valley City St
1/22 * A* *South Dakota St
1/29 * A Montana St Billings
2/12 * A Montana St Billings
2/19 * H Upper Iowa
2/25 * H Sourth Dakota St

TheBisonator
07-19-2004, 10:08 PM
WHAT?? :o I only see Denver and SDSU for the men, and SDSU for the women. We GOTTA be playing more DI teams than that, right?? :P :P :P

roadwarrior
07-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Ten of the 27 games will be played against Division I teams with almost all of those on the road. The exception is South Dakota State, which is also beginning a Division I transition.

This was in the Forum sometime back in March talking about the Bison men's schedule for 2004-05.

Bisonguy
07-20-2004, 01:14 AM
I looked at some of the schools for the "independent alliance" (Texas-Corpus-Cristi, Ft. Wayne, Texas Pan-Am, N. Colorado) and none of them have NDSU on the schedule :-/. Utah Valley State didn't have their schedule up yet, and I know NDSU is playing SDSU. Who are the other DI schools on the schedule? ???

roadwarrior
07-20-2004, 04:12 AM
I dont remember where I read this, but I think the men are playing 3 games in a tournament in Florida. I also saw trips to Green Bay, Detroit and Kansas City in the plans. A couple of those might be 4 team tourneys.

89rabbit
07-20-2004, 03:28 PM
UW-Greenbay just released their schedule. Looks like you play them and either Rider or Hartford at the Oneida Bingo & Casino Classic in Green Bay, Wis.

http://www.uwgb.edu/athletics/mbb/schedule.html

BisonMav
07-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks 89Rabbit, still waiting on UMKC and E Michigan schedules, and the Florida Tourney.

11/21 A Denver
11/26 SM State Classic Northern State *
11/27 SMSC Southwest Minnesota State
12/4 * A Northern St
12/6 * H Jamestown
12/15 H UMD
12/29 Oneida Bingo Classic UW Green Bay
12/30 Oneida Bingo Classic Rider or Hartford
1/3 * * H Minot St
1/15 * A South Dakota St
1/24 * H Southwest State
1/4 * * H Northern St
2/5 * * H Sri-Tanka Huron
2/11 * H Mayville St
2/12 * H Upper Iowa *

Women
11/19 H Dickinson St
11/20 H Bemidji St
11/27 TAMUK TS St Mary's
12/6 * H Mary
12/15 H UMC *
1/8 * * A Wisconsin Stout
1/15 * H Valley City St
1/22 * A * South Dakota St
1/29 * A Montana St Billings *
2/12 * A Montana St Billings *
2/19 * H Upper Iowa
2/25 * H Sourth Dakota St

AnswerMan
07-21-2004, 12:39 AM
FYI, Southwest Minnesota State

89rabbit
07-22-2004, 06:24 AM
The Bison got a mention on the UW-GB board:

http://198.93.127.12/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=514

somebison
08-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Kansas State (A)
Drake (exhibition) (A)

JBB
08-02-2004, 05:30 PM
are those games added?

somebison
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
that's what I have been told

BisonMav
08-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Added UMKC to the Men's side.

11/21 A Denver
11/26 SM State Classic Northern State
12/4 A Northern St
12/6 H Jamestown
12/15 H UMD
1/3 H Minot St
1/10 A UMKC
1/15 A South Dakota St
1/24 H Southwest State
1/4 H Northern St
2/5 H Sri-Tanka Huron
2/11 H Mayville St
2/12 H Upper Iowa

Women
11/19 H Dickinson St
11/20 H Bemidji St
11/27 TAMUK TS St Mary's
12/6 H Mary
12/15 H UMC
1/8 A Wisconsin Stout
1/15 H Valley City St
1/22 A South Dakota St
1/29 A Montana St Billings
2/12 A Montana St Billings
2/19 H Upper Iowa
2/25 H Sourth Dakota St

mikelsch
08-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Another addition to the Men's schedule:

Oakland (from the Mid-Con's 2004-2005 basketball prospectus).

11/21 A Denver
12/4 A Northern St
12/6 H Jamestown
12/15 H UMD
12/20 A Oakland
1/3 H Minot St
1/10 A UMKC
1/15 A South Dakota St
1/24 H Southwest State
1/4 H Northern St
2/5 H Sri-Tanka Huron
2/11 H Mayville St
2/12 H Upper Iowa

Women
11/19 H Dickinson St
11/20 H Bemidji St
11/27 TAMUK TS St Mary's
12/6 H Mary
12/15 H UMC
1/8 A Wisconsin Stout
1/15 H Valley City St
1/22 A South Dakota St
2/19 H Upper Iowa
2/25 H Sourth Dakota St

tony
08-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info, Greenie. I've really been remiss about welcoming people. Well, that ends today:

Welcome aboard, Greenie!

WYOBISONMAN
08-12-2004, 04:31 PM
This Sri Tanka game is disturbing..... :P One thing is that we can only go up from here!

89rabbit
08-12-2004, 04:35 PM
It is actually Si Tanka. *We played them last year. *They are a pretty good Dac-10 team. *We beat them 98-81. *The old Huron College was bought by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe and renamed Si Tanka.

http://www.sitanka.net/1.5/

WYOBISONMAN
08-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Hopefully this is the last year a DAC-10 appears on the schedule.

tony
08-12-2004, 06:01 PM
NDSU can only have two non-DI games a year so after this so it can't happen much.

Just by the way NDSU has been approaching things, I'd be kind of surprised if there were any non-DI schools on the schedule (although if it has to be a DAC10 school, I hope it's a North Dakota one).

Bisonguy
08-12-2004, 08:37 PM
It is actually Si Tanka. *We played them last year. *They are a pretty good Dac-10 team. *We beat them 98-81. *The old Huron College was bought by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe and renamed Si Tanka.

http://www.sitanka.net/1.5/
Thanks for the clarification 89- At first glance I thought it was Sri Lanka on the schedule ;D

IowaBison
08-12-2004, 08:40 PM
actually that's next year, and before everyone gets all excited about the outrageous travel costs to an island in the Indian Ocean, remember that the University of Sri Lanka has a great travel partner in Ahli Booba Tech in Columbo, which is home, of course, to the great tv detective, Quincy

UNCBears_Supporter
08-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Just a little info on how the process worked for UNC.

Last year we only had six "true" D-I games (not counting Utah Valley State and Longwood since they were in the same boat as us). That was b/c we were not a "counter" so not many teams wanted to/could schedule us.

This year all but four games are D-I (that is counting Utah Valley, UC Davis and Longwood this time around). That includes games with five teams that made the NCAA Tournament last year (Air Force, Gonzaga, Utah, Syracuse - Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, and Texas Tech) plus two NIT teams who are better than the NIT (Oklahoma and Iowa State).

So the Bears schedule is super tough in year #2, but there are some nice paydays in there to help with the transition (somewhere in excess of $200,000 total).

I imagine we'll see a game with our schools in 05-06.

BisonMav
08-16-2004, 03:49 PM
This is from the Naples Daily News about the season ending Independant Tourney. I think he meant SDSU and not USD.

"It's important to get February games against very good opponents," Balza said. South Dakota, North Dakota State, they're all good programs. And it'll be great for the crowds. We got our best crowds in the February games last year."

Florida Gulf Coast (http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/sp_fgcu/article/0,2071,NPDN_14993_3088133,00.html)

SKYdreamzzz
08-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Edited by Moderator. There is a smack board. Use it.

UNCBears_Supporter
08-18-2004, 05:28 AM
FGCU has unbelievable facilities for a school that is only a couple of years old. Their gym is impressive. I think your teams will enjoy playing down there, UNC did last year.

Bison_Kent
08-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Kansas State has been added for Nov. 19th according to WDAY TV. I will be there!!! It was a two for one deal with KSU. NDSU will go to Manhattan again in 2005 but the Wildcats will come to Fargo in the 2006-2007 season.

Great game with a Big 12 team!!!!

Trimmy
08-19-2004, 02:47 AM
Awesome!

wfduck
08-19-2004, 12:27 PM
ahh....now what did those nay sayer's pop off about on NOT being on ESPN....i'll say there's a 50/50 chance on that one. Early game @ KState...etc etc....

hello Stu!

IowaBison
08-19-2004, 02:46 PM
That's fantastic news, of course I hate the K-State, but fantastic news

WYOBISONMAN
08-19-2004, 05:16 PM
I may have to journey to Fargo for this one!

somebison
08-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Kansas State has been added for Nov. 19th according to WDAY TV. *I will be there!!! *It was a two for one deal with KSU. *NDSU will go to Manhattan again in 2005 but the Wildcats will come to Fargo in the 2006-2007 season.

Great game with a Big 12 team!!!!

old news kent (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=BB;action=display;num=1064448312;sta rt=65#65) ;)

the bigger news is that K-State (http://www.kstatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=400&KEY=&SPID=213&SPSID =3086) is also playing Denver which is obviously an attempt to add Denver to the Big 12 to be Colorado's Travel Partner- yet another twist to the conference shuffles as the Big Sky, WAC, MWC, SunBelt, Mid-Con, Big 12, and Pac-10 are all salivating over Denver. 8) ::)

Bisonguy
08-21-2004, 06:04 PM
old news kent (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=BB;action=display;num=1064448312;sta rt=65#65) ;)

the bigger news is that K-State (http://www.kstatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=400&KEY=&SPID=213&SPSID =3086) is also playing Denver which is obviously an attempt to add Denver to the Big 12 to be Colorado's Travel Partner- yet another twist to the conference shuffles as the Big Sky, WAC, MWC, SunBelt, Mid-Con, Big 12, and Pac-10 are all salivating over Denver. 8) ::)

Denver is playing KState to get an invite to the Big 12. This in turn, will be used to leverage the Big Sky to use all their airtime on Altitude Sports on Denver games. During football season, Denver women's swimming will be televised. Speaking of which, Denver, with their great negotiating skills (witness Altitude deal), will force the Big Sky to add swimming and diving while dropping football and track from the conference. This will allow the Big Sky to be a better fit Denver, a team that the Big Sky wants and actually has invited behind closed doors. The only good news is that Denver will allow the Big Sky to keep going along with the artificial interest in the Dakota schools to allow their fans and administration to think that a conference invite is in the future.

How'd I do?

JBB
08-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Nice job! ::)

IowaBison
08-21-2004, 07:36 PM
it's close, but you forgot that the BSC will award Denver conference titles in all sports regardless of their success as they will add just sooooo much

they will also be renaming the BSC the "we've got Denver conference", the wgDc

Bisonguy
08-21-2004, 08:07 PM
it's close, but you forgot that the BSC will award Denver conference titles in all sports regardless of their success as they will add just sooooo much

they will also be renaming the BSC the "we've got Denver conference", the wgDc

Dang, forgot that. I was going to throw in some crap about how the new TGIFriday's in Grand Forks would lead to economic prosperity in the city and was such a great achievement by a forward-thinking community. :P

NoDakSt
08-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Minnesota State Mankato men's team will play in Fargo on Dec. 10th. The Maverick women will play the Bison twice. The January 9th tilt will be in Mankato. The February 17 event will be in Fargo.

NoDakSt
08-21-2004, 11:08 PM
On December 15th, the Bison will host Minnesota Duluth in a double header.

TheBisonator
08-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Dang, forgot that. I was going to throw in some crap about how the new TGIFriday's in Grand Forks would lead to economic prosperity in the city and was such a great achievement by a forward-thinking community. *:P

Man... TGI Friday's in Grand Forks?? Ooooohhhh... I'm scared... That's certainly a LOT better than the Microsoft regional headquarters located in Fargo... :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Let's just face the facts: Grand Forks is a hole. Minot looks a helluva lot better. And I know, cause I went to both cities a few days ago.

IowaBison
08-21-2004, 11:31 PM
i think you're wrong about minot, that city is on it's last gasps of breath

i know some bankers around that way and things are not good

they lose the base and we'll be seeing some serious economic and social upheaval

TheBisonator
08-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I don't know, Minot looked a lot cleaner, and the downtown looked bigger. They even opened a Starbucks there. ::) Looked like there was more commercial development there too. The mall in Minot (Dakota Square) is a LOT bigger than Columbia Mall in GF. Minot's downtown didn't look as boarded-up as GF. But you might be right about the economic base shrinking up there. It looks like GF can feed off of Fargo to an extent, while Minot is really in the middle of nowhere. There's less people living around the area.

But I will say that I took the "Grand Tour" of the "Grand Shittys" last fall, and did not like it one bit. Grand Forks looks dirty and dingy, and there's too much low-level industrial parts of the city.

NoDakSt
08-21-2004, 11:55 PM
11/19 A Kansas State
11/21 A Denver *
11/26 SM State Classic Northern State * *
11/27 SMSC Southwest Minnesota State *
12/4 * A Northern St *
12/6 * H Jamestown *
12/10 H Minnesota State Mankato
12/15 H UMD *
12/20 A Oakland
12/29 Oneida Bingo Classic UW Green Bay *
12/30 Oneida Bingo Classic Rider or Hartford *
1/3 * * H Minot St *
1/10 * A UMKC
1/15 * A South Dakota St *
1/24 * H Southwest State *
1/26 H Minn Crookston
1/4 * * H Northern St
2/2 A Minn Crookston
2/5 * * H Sri-Tanka Huron *
2/11 * H Mayville St *
2/12 * H Upper Iowa * *
Women *
11/19 H Dickinson St *
11/20 H Bemidji St *
11/25 TAMUK Turkey Shootout Southwestern Oklahoma St *
11/26 TAMUK TS St Edwards *
11/27 TAMUK TS St Mary's *
12/6 * H Mary *
12/15 H UMD *
12/20 Orlando, FLA Lake Superior St *
1/8 * * A Wisconsin Stout *
1/9 A Minnesota Mankato
1/15 * H Valley City St *
1/22 * A * South Dakota St *
1/29 * A Montana St Billings
2/2 A Minn Crookston
2/12 * A Montana St Billings * *
2/17 H Minnesota Mankato
2/19 * H Upper Iowa *
2/25 * H South Dakota St

TheBisonator
08-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Thank you so much for the schedule update. I'll copy an paste it to a document!! ;D ;D ;D

jackmd
08-24-2004, 01:35 AM
Looks like we landed Marquette, not a bad get.

Marquette follows up its Michigan trip with home contests against Delaware State (Dec. 1) and South Dakota State (Dec. 7). South Dakota State won 118 games and made five consecutive postseason appearances at the Division II level since 1999, before moving to Division I for the upcoming season.

Who do you think they're more worried about? Michigan (bunch of cheaters) or the Jackrabbits? Either way its not the Bison. :D

http://www.gomarquette.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=26&url_article_id=5762 &url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

AnswerMan
08-25-2004, 06:19 AM
not a fun first year D1 schedule for the men. Yikes

mikelsch
08-25-2004, 03:26 PM
The women's is even worse.

BisonMav
08-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Add a second Jacks game on 2/24

11/19 A Kansas State
11/21 A Denver
12/4 A Northern St
12/6 H Jamestown
12/15 H UMD
12/20 A Oakland
1/3 H Minot St
1/10 A UMKC
1/15 A South Dakota St
1/24 H Southwest State
1/26 H Minn Crookston
1/4 H Northern St
2/2 A Minn Crookston
2/5 H Sri-Tanka Huron
2/11 H Mayville St
2/12 H Upper Iowa
2/24 H South Dakota State

Women
11/19 H Dickinson St
11/20 H Bemidji St
11/27 TAMUK TS St Mary's
12/6 H Mary
12/15 H UMD
1/8 A Wisconsin Stout
1/9 A Minnesota Mankato
1/15 H Valley City St
1/22 A South Dakota St
2/2 A Minn Crookston
2/17 H Minnesota Mankato
2/19 H Upper Iowa
2/25 H South Dakota St

bballfan
08-26-2004, 04:39 AM
not a fun first year DI schedule for the men. Yikes

The women's is even worse.

I think that those schedules look great. No offense guys, but I would take a beating from marquette any day of the week over TRAVELLING to minn. crookston and playing Northern State three times as a d-I team :P.

Even though this years schedules for the jacks will be tough, I think it will pay big dividens when we move to the off season to try and recruit high caliber players. If SDSU could grab even better players than they got this year (which are excellent players for D-I to begin with), they will be one of the top teams in the big sky almost immediately.

All I know is if I was a bison fan I wouldn't be looking foward to the poundings your men are going to get this year from SDSU. Its going to make the last two years of beatings you recieved look like nothing. That'll be pretty embarrasing on top of the football loss this season. ;D

tony
08-26-2004, 04:52 AM
Eastern Michigan schedule story (http://www.mlive.com/eagles/aanews/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1093444982300280.xml)

According to this EMU hosts NDSU in MBB on Dec 18 in a "throwback" game. No idea what that means.

BisonMav
08-26-2004, 05:50 AM
I think that those schedules look great. *No offense guys, but I would take a beating from marquette any day of the week over TRAVELLING to minn. crookston and playing Northern State three times as a d-I team :P.

Even though this years schedules for the jacks will be tough, I think it will pay big dividens when we move to the off season to try and recruit high caliber players. *If SDSU could grab even better players than they got this year (which are excellent players for D-I to begin with), they will be one of the top teams in the big sky almost immediately.

All I know is if I was a bison fan I wouldn't be looking foward to the poundings your men are going to get this year from SDSU. *Its going to make the last two years of beatings you recieved look like nothing. *That'll be pretty embarrasing on top of the football loss this season. ;D *

SDSU is a good basketball school.
SDSU may win 2 football games this year.

Are you a SDSU or USD fan?

BisonMav
08-26-2004, 05:53 AM
11/19 A Kansas State
11/21 A Denver
12/4 A Northern St
12/6 H Jamestown
12/15 H UMD
12/18 A Eastern Michigan
12/20 A Oakland
1/3 H Minot St
1/10 A UMKC
1/15 A South Dakota St
1/24 H Southwest State
1/26 H Minn Crookston
1/4 H Northern St
2/2 A Minn Crookston
2/5 H Sri-Tanka Huron
2/11 H Mayville St
2/12 H Upper Iowa
2/24 H South Dakota State

Women
11/19 H Dickinson St
11/20 H Bemidji St
11/27 TAMUK TS St Mary's
12/6 H Mary
12/15 H UMD
1/8 A Wisconsin Stout
1/9 A Minnesota Mankato
1/15 H Valley City St
1/22 A South Dakota St
2/2 A Minn Crookston
2/17 H Minnesota Mankato
2/19 H Upper Iowa
2/25 H South Dakota St

jackmd
08-26-2004, 03:28 PM
I hope NDSU can make the trip to Michigan a good one. The game with Eastern Michigan is a great addition to the schedule. I think there is a great chance for NDSU to win 1 if not both games against Oakland and EMU.

As for Jackrabbit BB, there are still a lot of questions to be answered. I'm not ready to christen this team as a dominant one at the mid-level or lower level of DI. Some nice additions this year but the loss of Moeller is not insignificant and no one is sure about Matt Jones. There will be a lack of DI experience (obviously) and size in our line-up. All that said, I still expect a nice performance from the Jacks (that goes for FB, too).

Trimmy
08-27-2004, 12:28 AM
According to this EMU hosts NDSU in MBB on Dec 18 in a "throwback" game. No idea what that means.

I too was confused by that statement. I emailed the writer and he sent me this:

"'Throwback' for Eastern means playing at Bowen Field House, where Eastern use to play basketball games here for decades before moving into the Convocation Center in the late-1990s. Should be a good one."

bballfan
08-27-2004, 12:34 AM
SDSU may win 2 football games this year.

HAHA, yeah and the bison will be 11-0. You guys have it all figured out. Just remember, there was only a one loss difference between these teams last year, and SDSU lost three of those in 4th quarter. Just because they played awful in the dome doesn't mean their a bad team. Sorry to take this off topic, I'm done now.

BisonMav
08-27-2004, 02:59 AM
HAHA, yeah and the bison will be 11-0. *You guys have it all figured out. *Just remember, there was only a one loss difference between these teams last year, and SDSU lost three of those in 4th quarter. *Just because they played awful in the dome doesn't mean their a bad team. *Sorry to take this off topic, I'm done now.

You are correct, there really isn't much to talk about, concerning SDSU football.

somebison
08-31-2004, 01:42 AM
looks like you can add an exhibition with Drake to the schedule

http://www.drakebulldogs.org/mensbasketball/schedule.php

-who would've thunk it (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=BB;action=display;num=1064448312;sta rt=65#65) 8)

wfduck
09-01-2004, 05:23 PM
One thing that remains to be seen is how the radio coverage works. Doesn't appear to be many sets where the M&W are both playing the same day etc. Many weekends with the men and women spread across the US. What will WDAY do? It's gotta cost them a pile to cover?

anybody hear what the plan is?

Bisonguy
09-01-2004, 08:06 PM
One thing that remains to be seen is how the radio coverage works. Doesn't appear to be many sets where the M&W are both playing the same day etc. Many weekends with the men and women spread across the US. What will WDAY do? It's gotta cost them a pile to cover?

anybody hear what the plan is?

I believe that NDSU has to pay travel costs for the broadcasters. WDAY stated earlier that Michaels and Miller would have to split when the men and women are playing different opponents.

Bisonguy
09-02-2004, 12:27 AM
via WDAY 6:00 news-Bison men play Manhattan this year, with Manhattan playing in the BSA in 2005.

Edit- Looks like they play on Jan 5th this year

North Dakota State, a Division I Independent, will come to Draddy on January 5.

source- http://www.gojaspers.com/article.cfm?doc_id=5220

Trimmy
09-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Cool.

Bisonguy
09-06-2004, 03:11 PM
NDSU already has a win and a tie against DI teams in women's soccer. ::)

eagle_power
09-15-2004, 03:23 AM
are you guys still playing a division II schedule this year in men's basketball? I don't recoginize most of the schools on your shedule....

Bisonguy
09-15-2004, 03:48 AM
are you guys still playing a division II schedule this year in men's basketball? I don't recoginize most of the schools on your shedule....

Pretty much. ::) This is the worst year of the reclassification period to DI- NDSU counts as a DII opponent to DI schools, and as a DI opponent to DII (and other non DI schools).

DI schools are a little reluctant to put NDSU on the schedule, as it hurts their RPI. The only way NDSU would count as a DI opponent would be if they were able to have a vast majority (I believe it's over 90%) of games against DI teams. NDSU's women's VB coach was able to get the team to be an RPI counter this year by taking a big chance in getting a nearly all DI schedule. She had to nearly guarantee all interested DI schools that she would be able to meet the scheduling requirements to be an RPI counter, or they weren't interested. Next year's schedule should be much better, as NDSU will count as a DI opponent, regardless of schedule (Northern Colorado is a great example of that happening).

eagle_power
09-15-2004, 04:47 AM
How many scholarships do you have to add to come up to Division I standards? Also, how many years do you have to wait to compete in post-season play? I heard a while back, but it was some outrageous amount of time, and I think it's changed since.

How does it look as far as scheduling goes for the next few years? I didn't see any Big Sky Schools on there...are you planning on playing any, maybe at least the Montana Schools?

It looks like you have decent facilities and fan support, the only major challenge I see you guys might have is in recruiting.....where do you think NDSU will recruit from primarily?

Bisonguy
09-15-2004, 05:26 AM
NDSU will be playoff eligible in 2008, IF they find a home in an autobid conference. Otherwise, it's still 13 years :o

Supposedly the scheduling is getting better. Kansas State will be playing in Fargo in 2006 (It was part of a two and one deal).

Recruiting, especially for the men, will be interesting in the next couple of years- typically North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are the core recruiting states, with Iowa, Illinois, etc. as some other areas that are targeted, with occasional players from other states like CA or GA. Recruiting grounds may change somewhat, or some of the U of Minnesota or U of Iowa lower level recruits might come NDSU's way.

tony
09-15-2004, 05:53 AM
Judging by the first year, things are looking pretty good. Even if the BSA needing upgrades and NDSU facing a long probationary period, Miles signed five and Ruley four players (plus she got a good one to walk on).

Fast-forwarding ahead to when NDSU is in a conference, the BSA is remodelled, and the probation period is down to two years or so... I just can't see how recruiting won't get even better - the only thing that could hurt is to have a bunch of NCC teams move up.

eagle_power
09-15-2004, 09:12 PM
At Eastern Washington, we seem to do an excellent job of getting recruits from the pacific northwest (washington, oregon, idaho, canada)

This last recruiting class was probably the best in the history of the progam, with Eastern getting maybe 2 or 3 of the top recruits in the state of washington in stuckey and beitinger...james loe from oregon was one of the top in that state. We sometimes dip into california, especially for jc transfers...but we've made a habit of recruiting excellent high school players, as we've finished 2nd or better the last 5 years. Unfortunately, we lost to Oklahoma State in the first round of the NCAA tournament last year.

NDSU needs to get into the Big Sky as soon as possible. It seems like you guys have a lot to more to offer the conference than some of the other GWFC schools do. Two more teams in the conference means the possibility of getting more than 1 team in the tournament every year. I hate the auto-bid system, but it seems like this is the only way most mid-major conferences get into the tournament.

I think part of the reason the BSC initially turned down the 2 Dakota schools is because they were holding out for Idaho and Utah State. With Idaho going to the WAC, maybe the door will be open for you guys. We need quality schools in the conference, not schools like Southern Utah, etc. Good luck

Bison_Kent
09-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks Eagle.

I know that the Big Sky was holding out for at least Idaho to dip down below the I-A ranks. And that makes sense. Idaho is right in the middle of the conference from a geography point of view and was once a member of the conference.

NDSU and SDSU from a facilities, accademic, and finacial point of view would be the top choices (over Southern Utah and Northern Colorado). The one flaw in NDSU and SDSU is location in the eyes of some of the Big Sky presidents. But if you look at the Dakotas as a package, you will see that the two would be advantagous over even some of the current travel arrangements. Brookings and Fargo are seperated by just 190 miles. That would make for one of the shortest travel partners in the Big Sky. I think even Montana and Montana State are further apart.

We will see come next spring.

met1990
09-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Kent,
Forgive me if someone has brought this up before but wouldn't the Big Sky teams replacing nonconference games with NDSU and SDSU more than make up for the travel distance? If a Montana replaces a team from the southeast U.S. with NDSU or SDSU they travel less distance. I'm not sure how much charter flights cost per hour but I would think that could add up. I don't have the time nor patience to compare the Big Sky teams' current travel distances to what they could be with the SUs. Maybe someone with some spare time could do that.

WYOBISONMAN
09-15-2004, 09:57 PM
met....you are absolutely right. We have talked about this before and it really shows that the "travel issue" is a non-issue when examined in this light.

eagle_power
09-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks Eagle.

I know that the Big Sky was holding out for at least Idaho to dip down below the I-A ranks. *And that makes sense. *Idaho is right in the middle of the conference from a geography point of view and was once a member of the conference. *

Yup, they sure were. Boise State, Idaho, and Nevada-Reno were all once members of the BSC. The first one to dart was Nevada in the early 90's, then BSU and Idaho left. Unfortunately for Idaho, what's good for one school is not always good for the other. BSU had always played little brother to Idaho when they were in the BSC for so many years....Idaho pretty much owned BSU in football and other sports during that time, mostly by virtue of Idaho being the land-grand institution in that state, and getting a lot of the funding. However, BSU started to prosper at the I-A level, with it's big stadium, large population base, and big bucks. Idaho simply can no longer compete with BSU (as evidenced by their 65-7?) drubbing this year at the hands of the Broncos, especially with all the financial problems in higher education in that state. I find it amazing that they still consider themselves a legitamate I-A school. Last year they lost to Montana and Eastern Washington in football. So all this is what led the BSC to believe that they could get Idaho to come back to the Big Sky. But, amazingly, they still consider Boise State their big rival and wanted to go to the WAC. I'm kinda suprised the WAC took them (???) The whole Idaho fiasco is also what makes a lot of Montana fans very reluctant to move up as well.

Sorry, this is all kinda off track, but I thought it might be interesting for NDSU fans to know some of the history behind the whole decision making process of conference membership.

eagle_power
09-15-2004, 10:38 PM
I believe the current travel partners are

Eastern Washington-Portland State
Montana-Montana State
Idaho State-Weber State
Northern Arizona-Sacramento State

Missoula (UM) is about 200 miles from Bozeman (MSU). So about the same distance. Cheney (EWU), which is right outside of Spokane, is also at right around 200 miles from Missoula. Portland is a little farther from Spokane...The other ones are treks.

WYOBISONMAN
09-17-2004, 04:58 PM
ISU and Weber are pretty close to each other.

NoDakSt
09-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Eagle-Power...I live in Cheney and work at EWU.

I don't know about you, but after following the Eagle's during their first two losses (although Airforce was to be expected), I think I'm ready for the basketball season. I'm going to be up at Woodward for the Central game (come rain or snow, or pressbox malfunction) and hope for a blow out to renew my faith in our BigSky Season.

roadwarrior
09-21-2004, 09:40 PM
The Bison men's team is scheduled for the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament. Feb 17-18-19

BisonBBALL
09-22-2004, 03:59 AM
Nice timing to be in the Florida panhandle!

roadwarrior
09-22-2004, 04:12 AM
Actually, I think its in Fort Myers.

BisonBBALL
09-23-2004, 02:50 AM
You're right, it is Ft. Meyers which would be better weather in Feb. than the panhandle! 8)

roadwarrior
09-23-2004, 03:49 AM
And much better than the weather in Fargo.

eagle_power
09-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Eagle-Power...I live in Cheney and work at EWU.

I don't know about you, *but after following the Eagle's during their first two losses (although Airforce was to be expected), I think I'm ready for the basketball season. *I'm going to be up at Woodward for the Central game (come rain or snow, or pressbox malfunction) and hope for a blow out to renew my faith in our BigSky Season.

I was there.......it was a pretty exciting game. It seemed like after we scored 29 points in the first quarter, we kinda lost focus and our intensity level was not so great...good win overall, though.

WYOBISONMAN
09-24-2004, 04:11 PM
And best of all.....no damn hurricanes that time of year! ;)