PDA

View Full Version : Redshirting them all

tony
10-23-2004, 08:50 PM
At halftime of the FB game, it sounds like Miles is going to try to redshirt all this year's freshmen.

roadwarrior
10-24-2004, 02:22 AM
I attended the midnight madness last week, and Miles has 15 guys total on the team. One freshman (Brown) redshirted last year. There are 7 true freshmen.

Doing the math on this one means if he redshited all of them, he would only have 8 guys to work with. If he only meant the 5 prize recruits, that would leave him with 10 guys on the team.

tony
10-24-2004, 07:03 PM
I'll try to find the whole quote. I think he was talking about just the five recruits... it was really interesting to hear his thought process on recruiting. He wants to make it a good year for his seniors but has to balance that goal with the goal of getting to the tourney.

RxBison
10-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Lieser and Obadina did not sign early with NDSU. Lieser was on the Bison baseball team last year. Obadina is a walk on. The other 5 -- Lunde, Woodside, Moormann, Nelson and Winkelman -- all signed early with the Bison and will be the redshirts.

BisonBBALL
10-25-2004, 12:18 AM
RxBison:
Actually, Winkelman signed during the late period in the spring. 8)

RxBison
10-25-2004, 04:14 AM
Yes, I looked back at the archives of gobison.com and you are right.

Just a side note, it is pretty cool how you can easily look back and find news and results by season on their new site.

tony
10-25-2004, 03:29 PM
The following is what Miles said in the halftime interview, more or less. I might have screwed some things up (and I'm not quoting, just paraphrasing):
----------------------------------------------------------------

Last year's recruiting class was outstanding and this year's should "shape up to be outstanding" too.

Jump to DI in BB is going to be bigger than jump to DI for football and it's going to take more time.

The top NCC recruits can definitely play DI ball and NDSU is getting those guys but not the ones just a notch better than that, but we're starting to see some encouraging things.

Woodside is an example - he had Gonzaga, Illinois State, and Minnesota recruiting him but since NDSU was DI they were able to sign him early back in DII.

We're not going to be able to compete athlete against athlete against teams like Kansas State and Manhattan College so the game plan is going to have change defensive style to compensate as much as possible. On offense, transition game will probably not be as big. Gotta get to the foul line.

Obadino will play. I think the best thing for our program, and you'll be thanking me in two seasons, is to redshirt these guys. The only thing I'm worried about is our seniors. We might be playing with only 7 scholarship guys, less than we had last year.

--------------------------
Note: this is the gist of what Miles said, unless I misunderstood.

BisonBBALL
10-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Is Miles waiting to hear back from some other recruits before the early signing date?

roadwarrior
10-26-2004, 12:10 AM
A news story on the Bison website today gives an update position by position and it DOES CONFIRM that Miles intends on reshirting the five freshmen.