PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Basketball Recruiting

BisonMav
07-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Charlie Walters - St Paul Pioneer Press

Iowa State has withdrawn its offer to incoming Hopkins senior shooting guard Andrew Henke, who is expected to end up at a small college.

List from the Insiders:

PF NR *Travis Nelson(Linn-Mar HS)
Marion, IA 6-8/195/- *Med No Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, North Dakota State

SG NR *Travis Brown(Richfield Sr.)
Richfield, MN 6-4/180/- *Med Yes Creighton, Indiana State, Kansas State, North Dakota State, Valparaiso

SF NR *Kori Vernon(Memorial HS)
Madison, WI 6-8/220/14.0 *Med No Ball State, Bradley, Idaho, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois, Wichita State, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

SG NR *Kyle Julius(Naperville Central HS)
Naperville, IL -/-/- *Med No North Dakota State

SF NR *Andrew Henke(Hopkins Sr.)
Minnetonka, MN 6-5/195/9.0 *Low No Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin-Green Bay, North Dakota State

SF NR *Andy Wills(Mankato West Sr.)
Mankato, MN -/-/- *Med No Creighton, Drake, Indiana State, Iowa, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin

PF NR *Sam Sussenguth(Willmar Sr.)
Willmar, MN 6-8/200/- *Med No North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State

D
07-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Josh Vaughn from Braham (MN) has aparently been offered, a 6'4 or 5" 1 or 2 depending on who you talk to. There are a lot of people who love his game, and he plays on a HS loaded with talent. UNI was showing pretty good interest in him, but they only have 1 scholly left for next year, so that doesn't look like an option anymore. The entire NCC is on him, as is SDSU. I would expect, and this is completely my opinion, for UW-Green Bay to offer him if they haven't yet, he fits their style of play to an exact T.

The Sussenguth kid from Wilmar has seen his stock rise considerably as of late, so much so that he is getting some interest from schools in a "class above" the schools that were recruiting him, so he may be "out of reach," so to speak, to the Bison now.

The Bison are talking to Arden Skoglund, a 6-10ish C from Hastings. But, he weighs 180lbs soaking wet. His brother completed his eligability last year at Iowa St, he was 7-1 and without any ability at all. They are both literally geniuses, his brother got nearly perfect on his ACts or SATs (can't recall which), and Arden is getting some Ivy League looks. Arden is a project at best, but he has been getting some other D1 attention.

NDSU is also recruiting John Kreklow, a 6-7 SG/SF from Blaine who also has/had an offer from UNI (although he is probably in the same situation as Vaughn is with them), and he is currently participating in the prestigious Nike All-American Camp where he was, to the talent evaluators, a fairly suprising invitee. He will make or break himself there. He is, however, a fantastic shooter, and at that size he has a fairly good chance at getting some offers from other Missouri Valley, Ivy League and Mid-Com that are recruiting him.

The Bison are getting after some of the mid to low major D1 players in Minnesota which are abnormally high this year, probably 20-30 of them in the state that are being recruited legitamently by those type of schools. I have some more recruiting info I can give you guys but, fankly, my fingers are tired from the day's work, but I will pass along more when my fingers don't feel like they are going to fall off.

Bisonguy
07-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the info D.

BisonMav
07-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Good post D. *There is a lot of talent in Minnesota right now. *Should be lots to go around. *In the past these players would go to the Big Sky, Wyoming, etc. *Now they get a chance to play a few hours drive from home if they wish. *

*Skoglund is from Hopkins, not Hastings.

roadwarrior
07-09-2004, 04:35 AM
We appreciate the information, D. Thanks.

AnswerMan
07-14-2004, 01:20 PM
The Sussenguth kid from Willmar is playing well I hear but that doesn't mean he won't go to NDSU or a D2. If he goes D2, I've heard Southwest Minn. State. His mom is a grad from there and his brother lives in Marshall.

The kid from Brahm? Big time player! Major D1 written all over him. The Minnesota staff better start working him. He was like top 15 of 150 players at a recent camp

BisonMav
07-14-2004, 04:34 PM
The kid from Brahm? *Big time player! *Major D1 written all over him. The Minnesota staff better start working him. *He was like top 15 of 150 players at a recent camp
Vaughn isn't the best player with Braham. *Isiah Dahlman, a JR next year is the one that was #12 in a recent camp. *He is the Grandson of former Minneapolis Lakers Hall of Fame Coach John Kundla. *His younger brother is also a good player. *Braham might be the best team in Minnesota next year, any class.

AnswerMan
07-16-2004, 03:43 AM
thanks for the info

D
08-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Williston's James Hennesey was in Fargo for a visit this weekend (Sat). *He's 6-2ish and a PG, a lefty. *Also, Richfield's Travis Brown who the Bison had offerred committed to Northern Iowa last week. *He also had offers from Nebraska and Wyoming

WYOBISONMAN
08-30-2004, 05:05 PM
D-- I am from Williston , but have not seen a HS game for years.....how good is that Hennesey kid?

Glad to see you back posting on the BB forum...you always seem to have a good handle on these ND high school kids!

D
08-30-2004, 05:40 PM
D-- I am from Williston , but have not seen a HS game for years.....how good is that Hennesey kid?

I have no problem saying that he is the best SR athlete in ND this year. He is a very good baseball player. He was a very good football player, but didn't play this year because he had a serious leg injury last year that cost him almost all of his basketball season. Shoots it well, jumps well, but is he a D1 basketball player, IMO it's iffy.

NDSU_grad
08-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I always figured Brown was a longshot. Maybe in 2 or 3 years we will get some of those kids. I think James Hennessey's dad is from Berthold, pretty close to where I grew up.

wfduck
08-31-2004, 03:03 AM
we've got a good showing from the NW...I was born in Williston...lived in Stanley along the way too.

D
09-01-2004, 03:17 AM
Some more recruiting stuff,
Arden Skoglund of Hopkins has made it official that he has verballed to Valpo, although that had been floating out there in rumorville for awhile. NDSU had been showing interest there, but if you ask me he is a tall project at best like his brother. Valpo seems to be making a good impression on Minnesota kids. They had Jared Nuness a few years ago, and have had 3 or 4 others in the past 5 years as well. They are also in the top 2 for Urule Igbavoda, one of the top few out of MN for '05.

According to William Braziell (sp?), a JR SF from Minneapolis Roosevelt, he is hearing from the Bison. He is 6-5 with a great body, and is hearing from a lot of other good schools also.

The Travis Nelson from Iowa that theinsiders.com has listed as having interest in the Bison has narrowed his list to 4, with Wyoming and Dayton for sure, and the other 2 I think were Kansas St and someone else. Anyway, he has apparently ruled ot NDSU.

Andy Wills from Mankato, who theinsiders.com also has listed as having interest in NDSU, will most likely end up going D2.

Schemer
09-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Williston's James Hennesey was in Fargo for a visit this weekend (Sat). *He's 6-2ish and a PG, a lefty. *Also, Richfield's Travis Brown who the Bison had offerred committed to Northern Iowa last week. *He also had offers from Nebraska and Wyoming

I'm from Williston also. James Henessey was Williston's QB (not that our FB team is anything to brag about, lately)

WYOBISONMAN
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Schemer.....what year did you graduate fromm WHS? I graduated in '79....

IowaBison
09-09-2004, 09:23 PM
a JR SF from Minneapolis Roosevelt, he is hearing from the Bison. *He is 6-5 with a great body, and is hearing

what do his looks have to do with anything?

D, why do you like basketball?

Do you like their shorts and hairdos?

:) ;) :D :) ;) :D ;D 8) ::) :o

Bisonguy
09-09-2004, 09:39 PM
what do his looks have to do with anything?

D, why do you like basketball?

Do you like their shorts and hairdos?

I'm guessing he means the kid isn't waifish. I, along with many others on here, appreciate the info that 'D' provides on BB recruiting (and other stuff).

IowaBison
09-09-2004, 09:41 PM
You're absolutely right, bisonguy.

I was actually leary of posting that given the definite value of D's insights. I'm banking on the hope that he has a sense of humor.

WYOBISONMAN
09-09-2004, 09:42 PM
D is alright with me too. As a "fairly" ignorant BB fan I appreciate all the insight I can get...

Schemer
09-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Schemer.....what year did you graduate fromm WHS? *I graduated in '79....

...that's around when I was born :)

Actually, I graduated from WHS in '98

Bisonguy
09-09-2004, 09:59 PM

I was actually leary of posting that given the definite value of D's insights. *I'm banking on the hope that he has a sense of humor.

You just have to throw some of these in there: ;) ;D :-/ :o :D :)- Let the guy know you're joking (I've had problems forgetting them sometimes ;))

IowaBison
09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
thanks for the heads up bisonguy

the last thing, ok one of the last things, i want to do is piss off D, he's one of the few people on here who isn't full of sh*t *;D
(how was that ???)

Bisonguy
09-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Perfect ;D

WYOBISONMAN
09-09-2004, 10:21 PM
The time you were born!?! Now I feel like an old fucker....(pardon the french). ;)

D
09-10-2004, 05:04 AM

I was actually leary of posting that given the definite value of D's insights. *I'm banking on the hope that he has a sense of humor.

No problem. And if there is one, a guy on an internet message board questioning my sexual preferences is the least of my concerns.

Back on topic on the recruiting scene, there are big days ahead, as the first day of coach-recruit interaction can take place after the dead period. I am curious if anyone has any info on the Bison recruiting Moorhead Park Christian's Austin Pennick and Grant Gunhus though. I have not heard anything of the Bison getting after either, which is frankly suprising to me. I think both could develop into solid contributors, especially Pennick, and would seem to be fairly easy sells for the Bison. Pennick is a real good athlete with good size for a PG and Gunhus is a nice scorer who has a, excuse the language, nice body. Elsewhere, Koi Vernon from Madison Memorial, Michael Nelson's alma mater, has an offer from UND, but none from the D1 ranks. Theinsiders.com lists him as being a Bison recruit, but he has no D1 offers of note yet, but is scheduled to visit Bradley U per Theinsiders. He had a real good summer, and would be another that the Bison would have a real good in on. I have some more stuff, too, but it has too be under wraps for awhile yet.

D
09-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Some more stuff here. According to Torgy, DGF's Adam Holte is in terested in NDSU, and apparently the feeling is mutual. He has no D1 offers yet, but Washington St and Valpo have been showing interest. This per the Minnesota.rivals.com. On one hand it surprises me, because he is SOOOO slow and unathletic, but on the other hand he is 6-11. Oh, to be 7 feet tall.

NDSU_grad
09-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Some more stuff here. *According to Torgy, DGF's Adam Holte is in terested in NDSU, and apparently the feeling is mutual. *He has no D1 offers yet, but Washington St and Valpo have been showing interest. *This per the Minnesota.rivals.com. *On one hand it surprises me, because he is SOOOO slow and unathletic, but on the other hand he is 6-11. *Oh, to be 7 feet tall.

Didn't Lunde pretty much abuse him when they played last year?

Also, how would Holte compare with Skoglund. *I've never seen the younger brother but if he's similar to Andrew I'm not overly excited about him, although I wouldn't challenge either one of them to a "spelling contest".

met1990
09-10-2004, 04:15 PM
*I am curious if anyone has any info on the Bison recruiting Moorhead Park Christian's Austin Pennick and Grant Gunhus though. *

Didn't a Gunhus play basketball for UND back in the day? At least before my time?

D
09-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Didn't Lunde pretty much abuse him when they played last year?

Also, how would Holte compare with Skoglund. *I've never seen the younger brother but if he's similar to Andrew I'm not overly excited about him, although I wouldn't challenge either one of them to a "spelling contest".

If I remember fight, Lunde did. *But in Holte's defense, Lunde is a pretty tough match-up for most HS centers because of his perimeter ability. *Holte has good overall size in comparison to Skoglund's 3rd world countryesque body, but it has been going around for a few years that Holte's knees are so bad because he grew so rapidly, and that is why he is SOOOO slow and unathletic. *Skoglund has played AAU the past few years, Holte never has, so Skoglund's understanding of the game has to be much better then Holte's, not to mention the fact that Holte doesn't exactly play the Twin Cities HS competition like Skoglund does. *But I suppose the guy is 6-11. *In the long run, I doubt he would be much worse then the 6-11 stiff that SDSU has run out there the past few years, DeJong I think his name is. *

jack100
09-10-2004, 07:00 PM
In the long run, I doubt he would be much worse then the 6-11 stiff that SDSU has run out there the past few years, DeJong I think his name is.

DeYoung - same guy who was 5-6 from the field finished with 11 points, 6 rebounds, & 2 blocked shots in only 14 minutes of playing time in SDSU's 88-71 pasting of the Bison in Fargo last year.

IowaBison
09-10-2004, 07:07 PM
last year, it's always about last year,

what have you done for me lately?

jack100
09-10-2004, 07:23 PM
You guys can't win at basketball and yet call our players stiffs. We realize our football teams struggles but at least have the sense not to make fun of your quarterback's 5 interceptions.

IowaBison
09-10-2004, 07:25 PM
why not, throwing five interceptions is embarassing, not as embarassing as winning 2 games in football in your inaugural season DI :P

and who cares if you have a couple Stiffy Stiffersons on your team you beat us mediocre Bison

i like your rabbit picture, he's funny

tony
09-10-2004, 09:30 PM
A. It wasn't a Bison fan who called the SDSU big guy a stiff, it was a UND fan. I think that was more of an honest assessment than smack.

B. This is not the smack board (I'm not sure that us Bison fans really want to get into basketball smack anyway :) ).

Bisonguy
09-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Didn't see this prospect mentioned-

Jamal Abu-Shamala
(Shakopee Sr.)
Shakopee, MN 6-3/185/15.7
Holy Cross, Iowa State, North Dakota State, Northern Arizona, Santa Barbara, West Virginia

BisonBBALL
09-11-2004, 07:02 AM
Jamal is hoping to hear from the Gophers per Rivals

http://minnesota.rivals.com/noaccess.asp?SID=935&script=/content.asp&CID=318089

D
09-11-2004, 08:32 AM
DeYoung - same guy who was 5-6 from the field finished with 11 points, 6 rebounds, & 2 blocked shots in only 14 minutes of playing time in SDSU's *88-71 pasting of the Bison in Fargo last year.

;D ;D ;D Classic. Hook, line, and sinker. Maybe next year when I watch the Jacks play, I'll borrow your blue and yellow colored glasses and see the star Dejong really is, until then, a 7 footer who cannot average more then half a block, 5 points and 3 boards a game in his JR year in D2 basketball, not to mention the fact that he looks like he is going to trip himself with every step, the guy definately qualifies as a stiff. Take the glasses off and see what the rest of the world sees. One good game doesn't change anything, if it does, I saw Greg "stat sheet stuffer" Ostertag go for 23 and 13 a few years ago. Woopdeedoo.

D
09-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Rivals is reporting that Braham's Josh Vaughn is down to his final 4 schools, NDSU, SDSU, St Cloud, and Mankato. *From everything I have seen and heard he can really get it done at the 2 and even the 1 if needed. *I had heard that St Cloud and NDSU are the 2 to beat. *If Mankato gets him, well, @*%$ will hit the fan. *There are a lot of nasty rumors going around about the program down there and there is merit to a lot of them.

Moorhead Park Christian's Austin Pennick is down to UND, NDSU, and SDSU. *Park Christian will be a fun team to watch this year with he and Gunhaus. *

BisonBBALL
09-21-2004, 08:20 PM
We should hear Pennick's verbal to NDSU soon. ;D

BisonBBALL
09-25-2004, 01:18 AM
Josh Vaughn from Braham, MN has committed to the Bison.

BisonMav
09-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Braham will probably have the best basketball team in Minnesota this year, and Vaughn will be the second best player on the team.

Bisonguy
09-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Anybody else concerned that NDSU's recruits are mainly considering DII schools, as well?I would think the recruits should be considering other schools, such as UNI, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UW-Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, etc. DII NCC BB ain't close to DI, and recruiting that level of player isn't going to do much for an upstart DI program.

BisonMav
09-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Anybody else concerned that NDSU's recruits are mainly considering DII schools, as well?I would think the recruits should be considering other schools, such as UNI, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UW-Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, etc. * DII NCC BB ain't close to DI, and recruiting that level of player isn't going to do much for an upstart DI program.
I am not concerned about Vaughn, he is a good player. I don't know much about Pennick though.

D
09-27-2004, 03:36 PM
It is official about Vaughn, there is a story about it posted yesterday at howardpulleybasketball.com. Regarding the players the Bison are targeting, they have had a few that they have offerred pull the trigger on other D1 offers already. A few weeks back, a WI kid who the Bison had offerred committed to either UW-GB or UW-M, Berry was the name. It will take some time.

flytrap
09-27-2004, 09:00 PM
How about 06 kids? Who is on the radar and what scholarships will be available?

These first couple years of D1 will be some important recruits.

With the strong 04 class already in, things could look okay for competing in the Big Sky in a couple years.

Bisonguy
10-07-2004, 12:30 AM
We should hear Pennick's verbal to NDSU soon. ;D

How about tonight on the WDAY 6:00 sports? It's official.

DIBISON
10-07-2004, 02:42 AM
Good local recruit that has a huge upside. Wanted to play at a DI university in ND.

D
10-07-2004, 04:29 AM
The Bison are off to one Hell of a start in their recruiting. I would be willing to bet that Vaughn and Pennick were each on the Bison's top 4 to get list. Miles and Co. must be hitting the trails real hard, because they beat the Bunnies on both of these guys. They will have a real good rotation at the 1, 2, and 3 with these 2, Woodside, Nelson, and Winkelman (assuming his attitude doesn't get in the way) in a couple years. Best thing is. these are both team first guys who can get it done.

flytrap
10-07-2004, 01:49 PM
With this year's freshmen all redshirting, are Pennick and Vaughn good enough to play next year and not redshirt. That would be a pretty tough class of seniors in 09...Big Dance??!?!

What's up with Winkelman's attitude?

IowaBison
10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
D, Pennick yesterday referred to NDSU being DI as a major consideration in his decision, do you think Coach Miles made any comments about possibly playing in the big dance in '09, that's definitely a stretch in my book.

D
10-07-2004, 05:29 PM
D, Pennick yesterday referred to NDSU being DI as a major consideration in his decision, do you think Coach Miles made any comments about possibly playing in the big dance in '09, that's definitely a stretch in my book.

Despite it perhaps being a stretch, it would be foolish for Miles not to play that card, so there is little doubt that he did.

On Winkelman, I was told by 2 people who recruited him and a 3rd who is from his home area that he has quite the attitude, real cocky. He is a real good talent, but he was described as along the lines of USD's Josh Mueller attitude-wise, maybe even a step beyond that. A guy who you love if he's with you, or hate if he is on the other team. It supposedly has been a problem in the past for him.

Woodside-Guy
10-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Rivals is reporting that Braham's Josh Vaughn is down to his final 4 schools, NDSU, SDSU, St Cloud, and Mankato. *From everything I have seen and heard he can really get it done at the 2 and even the 1 if needed. *I had heard that St Cloud and NDSU are the 2 to beat. *If Mankato gets him, well, @*%$ will hit the fan. *There are a lot of nasty rumors going around about the program down there and there is merit to a lot of them.

Moorhead Park Christian's Austin Pennick is down to UND, NDSU, and SDSU. *Park Christian will be a fun team to watch this year with he and Gunhaus. *

Woodside-Guy
10-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Josh Vaughn??-Everyone relax:
No Quickness, to short to play down low, to slow to play point. If he hits every three he takes, then fine, he'll find a spot in the rotation. He'd be better at Mankato. Lets get his buddy Isiah Dahlman instead...

BisonBBALL
10-07-2004, 10:08 PM
WoodsideGuy-
What's going on in Mankato?
Anywone know if Wills is close to committing?

JBB
10-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Ive heard Winkleman is strongly thinking about 2 sports, Football as a WR and of course BB.

BisonBBALL
10-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Bison look to be bringing in a west coast recruit for the week-end.

D
10-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Sam Sussenguth, 6-9 from Wilmar, MN verballed to NDSU Wed or Thurs night over Southwest St and Mankato.

Also found this http://www.hoopmasters.com/article.php?aid=1099012372

BisonMav
10-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Sam Sussenguth, 6-9 from Wilmar, MN verballed to NDSU Wed or Thurs night over Southwest St and Mankato.

Also found this *http://www.hoopmasters.com/article.php?aid=1099012372
Thanks for the info D.

scottheck
10-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Good article and sounds like he has some ability. But, is it a suprise that he'd pick D1 over SWSU and UMM? If you're competitive, want to play against the best, and offered $ to play D1...?
It also makes me wonder, if he was considering those schools, is he really good enough to play D1?

BisonMav
10-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Good article and sounds like he has some ability. *But, is it a suprise that he'd pick D1 over SWSU and UMM? *If you're competitive, want to play against the best, and offered $ to play D1...?
It also makes me wonder, if he was considering those schools, is he really good enough to play D1?
A little BirDie told me his parents went to SWSU. MSU has a quality DII program right now. Insiders also had UNI and SDSU trying to recruit him.

BisonBBALL
11-02-2004, 08:47 PM
"D" or anyone else who might know:

Are the Bison waiting to hear from anyone else in the next few weeks?

What's our interest level in K. Vernon or Hennessy?

Our first 3 recruits look good.

Any other recruiting news?

CougarHater1993
11-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Correct about his family going to SMSU. But both Mankato and Southwest have good programs, so him looking at those two schools doesn't worry me.

But, I do wonder if the recruits the Bison are getting make NDSU a very good D2 team or a good D1? Are these players D1 or D2 players? I guess we'll see

BisonBBALL
11-03-2004, 04:22 AM
What commitments does Mankato and Southwest have this year?

D
11-03-2004, 06:51 AM
"D" or anyone else *who might know:

Are the Bison waiting to hear from anyone else in the next few weeks?

What's our interest level in K. Vernon or Hennessy?

Our first 3 recruits look good.

Any other recruiting news? *

Vernon was supposed to be visiting Bradley, but that has been cancelled. He will be visiting St Cloud & UND for sure, and NDSU has been trying to get in on him. The way it plays out with him will be interesting. On Hennessey, and this is pure speculation, I don't see how he could bee brought in now by the Bison, having gotten 2 guard commitments, both of whom could play the point, already, and having Woodside and Nelson redshirting this year. It would not seem to be in the cards. I have no knowledge of this, but I would think a Juco big man would be optimal, seeing as how the inside game in 05-06 would be manned by 2 R-FR and a SO. Then again, I thought that last year also, and was wrong, so who knows. Then again, there are still quite a few names out there.

JBB
11-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Coach Miles must think he is good enough. He will play out his Sr. year here. The fact that he is a future BISON is going to add interest to Cards BB this season. Winkelman was in this league too, at least Marshall plays here every year, so this area is producing some talent right now!