PDA

View Full Version : McFeeley hits the nail on the head

roadwarrior
10-22-2004, 10:39 PM
From the 10-22-04 Fargo Forum: Mike McFeeley:

Fargo needs an 8,000-seat, $75 million downtown hockey arena like it needs the Red River to crest at 41 feet.

For those unfamiliar with the nuances of dike levels, a 41-foot river would make scuba gear more valuable than sandbags in Fargo-Moorhead.

No. 1 question for the enthusiastic developers who want to build this ice palace: Who exactly do you think is going to play in it?

North Dakota State, with its foray into D-I, is 25 years from even thinking about adding hockey and 35 years from being able to do anything about it financially.

The Fargo high schools do, indeed, need a better facility than the Coliseum, but a 2,000-seat arena built at one-tenth the cost (or less) would serve them just dandy.

Seventy-five million clams for a junior hockey team? Don't insult us, please.

And speaking of insults, don't tell us it's "for the kids." Fargo youth hockey is in need of ice sheets to accommodate hordes of 9- and 10-year-olds, not 8,000-seat arenas with -- we presume -- luxury suites.

No, what Fargo "needs" (the quotation marks are there because we are smart enough to know the words "need" and "sports facilities" should only be very loosely associated) is a sparkling new basketball arena.

Downtown.

With about 8,000 seats.

In which the Bison men's and women's teams would play their games.

Paid for by a combination of private and public dollars.

(Full disclosure: Yours truly lives in Moorhead, so the public dollars part is really, really, really easy to propose.)

A new basketball arena would serve several purposes that a building tilted toward hockey would not.

Fargo needs (again, we use that word knowing it's a verbiage minefield) a top-notch hoops venue. The Fargodome is too big, the Civic Auditorium too small and the Bison Sports Arena too crummy.

A new arena would serve as a home to the Bison, as well as high school regional and state tournaments.

And the usual concerts and boat shows.

It would also get more people downtown than a hockey building with no major tenant. Or any tenants at all.

Imagine a Saturday night in December 2010, when the Bison men are hosting, say, Iowa State in a non-conference affair. There would be 6,500 people moseying downtown for the game. With a 7 p.m. tip-off, they would begin arriving at 5:30 for some dinner, some drinks, some socializing.

Downtown would be alive in a way city fathers can only dream about now.

For the record, NDSU would be OK with this.

Bison athletic director Gene Taylor said that while the university would prefer a new basketball arena to be on-campus near the dome, it would not turn up its nose at a downtown facility built with a private/public partnership.

"As long as we can have a priority similar to the one we have at the dome," Taylor said.

That means NDSU would want to be treated as the building's main tenant, picking and choosing the dates it wants.

A new arena could be crucial toward the Bison's success in Division I.

Taylor said that men's and women's basketball ultimately could produce the most revenue and provide the most positive publicity for NDSU.

"We're talking a lot now about Division I-AA football, but ultimately what's really going to make this thing really move forward and make people really take notice is when we qualify for the NCAA (men's) basketball tournament," Taylor said. "Women's basketball, too, will have a huge role in all this."

Taylor said NDSU makes money now on men's and women's basketball, drawing an average of about 3,400 for men's games and 2,400 for women's games.

"If we could draw 4,000, 5,000, 6,000 for basketball, that would be huge revenue stream for us," Taylor said.

So let's review. A new basketball arena would fill a need, have an immediate major tenant, help revitalize downtown and give NDSU a major boost in its D-I adventure.

It's a slam dunk. Forget hockey. Basketball is the name of the game.

Bisonguy
10-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Good piece by McFeely, but I have my doubts about an off-campus arena for NDSU.

Maybe NDSU could donate some land and convice them to build the arena on campus. :-/

Tatanka
10-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Must.... fight.... urge.... to.... agree.... with.... Mc...Feeley. :P :-X

whatever_
10-23-2004, 07:50 PM
I was thinking the same thing Tatanka.

NDSU_grad
10-25-2004, 05:33 PM
I haven't posted on here in awhile as I've spent the last week in Farmington, NM (that's a week of my life I'll never get back). I think McFeely is right (I'm going to have to shower after writing that) in that Fargo and NDSU need a venue of that size, but I really wish the arena would be built near the Fargodome. College athletics should be about the students first and foremost, and having an off-campus arena would hurt that.

mikelsch
10-25-2004, 07:46 PM
If taxpayer money is needed (and it will be), the arena might have to be built downtown. There are too many anti-NDSU people that live in Fargo (read: UND alumni) to allow NDSU to have another nice arena on their property. NDSU doesn't have that kind of money. Neither did UND, except for Ralph's, but I digress. As McFeely said, fans would be happy to go downtown for a Bison BB game. Meet people downtown to eat supper, have a few, go to the game, and stay downtown afterwards. I think the students would enjoy that as well, especially those that will live around that area.

IowaBison
10-25-2004, 07:58 PM
If taxpayer money is needed (and it will be), the arena might have to be built downtown. *There are too many anti-NDSU people that live in Fargo (read: UND alumni) to allow NDSU to have another nice arena on their property. *NDSU doesn't have that kind of money. *Neither did UND, except for Ralph's, but I digress. *As McFeely said, fans would be happy to go downtown for a Bison BB game. *Meet people downtown to eat supper, have a few, go to the game, and stay downtown STUCK IN TRAFFICafterwards. *I think the students would enjoy that as well, especially those that will live around that area. * *

Bisonfan01234
10-31-2004, 08:56 PM
I suppose this arena will be called "The FargoArena"? Can we please sell some naming rights and make some money?

wfduck
11-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Must.... *fight.... urge.... to.... agree.... with.... Mc...Feeley. * *:P :-X

where would we park? parking sucks downtown.

JBB
11-05-2004, 11:58 AM
In the parking ramp that will be part of the complex.

wfduck
11-05-2004, 12:04 PM
okay....how would we get there? diving downtown is difficult. any event at the Civic Center, turns it into a zoo.

my point is that access, parking overshadow the 'fun' atmosphere of a downtown arean

Tatanka
11-06-2004, 08:09 PM
<sarcasm>Who cares about parking? Parking in North Dakota is overrated, just ask our friends to the north... <fact>$110M hockey arena, seating for 12000, parking for 2500. The "common folks" get to park elsewhere and get bussed. </fact>

Maybe a downtown arena could just bus people in from the Fargodome parking lot.</sarcasm>

JBB
11-07-2004, 12:19 PM
The west acres developers first wanted to put the mall in downtown Fargo and develop a business I-29 corridor into the downtown area. *

Just think what a different downtown we would have if that dream had been followed. *Most of it probably would have been torn down and rebuilt around the mall the highway, anyway downtown access is difficult but it was worked out during the time NDSU was behind the vote for the new areana. *

They do it mainly through traffic control rather than new infrastructure. *They planned on creating one way streets in before the game and one ways out after, stopping traffic lights and using police just like they do at the FFD.