PDA

View Full Version : NIT

teamsioux
12-17-2004, 06:40 PM
What are the eligibility rules for the NIT BB tourneys? How long do the Bison have to wait?

somebison
12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
greater than .500 record is the only rule I am aware of, I beleive we are eligible right away

BisonCountry
12-17-2004, 07:41 PM
I was always under the impression that since the NIT was a NCAA sanctioned event that we were not eligible for that during the provisional status.

Here is an a quote from an article last year about Birmingham-Southern's eligibility.
http://www.bscsports.net/general/2002-03news/d-1.htm

As per NCAA membership rules, once a new NCAA member reaches full status in Division I, its men's basketball program may not immediately receive an automatic bid to the NCAA men's basketball tournament. As such, Birmingham-Southern cannot compete in the league's postseason men's basketball tournament until the 2005-06 season. Duane Reboul's team is, however, eligible for an at-large bid to the NCAA men's basketball tournament or the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) in the upcoming season.

Bisonguy
12-17-2004, 07:52 PM
There was something on the news about this recently. NDSU, along with some other schools, was petitioning to be eligible for an NIT invite sooner (something along the lines of what the VB and Wrestilng programs did).

Rodentia
12-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Having a .500 record makes a team elligible for the NIT. However, attendance factors in heavily in whether the NIT will select a team. Just for example, if Minnesota finishes at or above .500, the NIT is almost certain to take them. Other teams with better records that .500 get snubbed. It may not be fair, but good attendance can help you get an NIT bid.

jack100
12-18-2004, 04:37 AM
I believe that both SU's are not eligible this year but are eligible for the NIT next year.

Bisonguy
12-18-2004, 05:20 AM
I believe that both SU's are not eligible this year but are eligible for the NIT next year.

I'm pretty sure a school has to be a full-fledged DI member. Why would NDSU try to petition to get in the tourney this year (there's not enough time to get it done for this year, anyhow ???), if they could get in next year?

I didn't see all of the newscast that it was on, but I thought they stated it was the 2006-2007 season they were trying to be eligible for (just like VB and Wrestling).

89rabbit
12-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Coach Nagy talke about this last year. He said we could get an invite starting in '04-'05, because the majority (I think all but 3) of our games will be against D-I schools.