PDA

View Full Version : Mid Con revisited

JBB
12-24-2004, 02:14 AM
If you havent read Jeff Kolpacks article about the Mid Con on Bison Zone (Dont Get Too Picky) you should. *I totally agree with him. *I might even go one step further and say the Mid Con/GWFC is a better combo than joining the BSC. *I know a lot of people dont agree but JK makes a good argument. *

(Link removed. Inadvertant pay site)

89rabbit
12-24-2004, 04:37 AM
*I might even go one step further and say the Mid Con/GWFC is a better combo than joining the BSC. *

You might be right.

Go State! ;D

filbert
12-24-2004, 04:59 PM
If you havent read Jeff Kolpacks article about the Mid Con on Bison Zone (Dont Get Too Picky) you should. *I totally agree with him. *I might even go one step further and say the Mid Con/GWFC is a better combo than joining the BSC. *I know a lot of people dont agree but JK makes a good argument. *

It's generally considered impolite to post links to sites/articles that you have to pay for to read . . .

JackJD
12-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Blame impolite stuff on that 01234 guy. He needs more problems.

JBB
12-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Im sorry filbert, I thought it was free. *I havent logged in to that site (auto log in) in so long I forgot you had to pay for some of its content.

Generally though he said the Mid-Con will give us more BB exposure than the BSC.

I will take the link down. *sorry.

BisBison
12-25-2004, 03:34 PM
one question...does the Mid-Con get an auto bid to the big dance ???

JBB
12-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Hey, Merry Christmas BisBison,

If memory serves me well they do.

filbert
12-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Im sorry filbert, I thought it was free. *I havent logged in to that site (auto log in) in so long I forgot you had to pay for some of its content.

Generally though he said the Mid-Con will give us more BB exposure than the BSC.

I will take the link down. *sorry.
No problem, you caught me in a grumpy mood, I guess.

Some prudent, limited excerpting of selected juicy sections of the article would more than make up for it (subject to the restrictions of Copyright Fair Use, of course . . . )

89rabbit
12-26-2004, 03:20 AM
one question...does the Mid-Con get an auto bid to the big dance ???

Yes, Valpo was the Mid-Con's rep last year.

JBB
12-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Here is an interesting statement from that blog where, I think, Kolpack makes his pt:

".....That's precisely what happened and now NDSU, at least in the short term, must look at a league like the Mid-Continent Conference for help. For which I say: What's so bad about the Mid-Con?

Have any of you out there seen a Mid-Con game? Do you believe for some reason that the Mid-Con is a step above the DAC-10?

Let's have a little reality. The Mid-Con is still better basketball than the NCC. For the most part, Mid-Con teams have better athletes and attract the players who carry Division I interest. As we have found out about this NDSU move, there's the status and peer pressure about the Division I label that appeals to kids.

I stopped in Tim Miles' office one day last year while he was watching a tape of the Mid-Con title game. It was pretty good ball.

The Mid-Con has a better locale for a NDSU recruiting area (Chicago and Kansas City). Before you're quick to the draw on crushing the Mid-Con, remember the alternative: remaining in Division II and seeing the same old stuff come through here or remaining a Division I independent and seeing a hodge podge of teams come through here."

89rabbit
12-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Here is an interesting statement from that blog where, I think, Kolpack makes his pt:

".....That's precisely what happened and now NDSU, at least in the short term, must look at a league like the Mid-Continent Conference for help. For which I say: What's so bad about the Mid-Con?

Have any of you out there seen a Mid-Con game? Do you believe for some reason that the Mid-Con is a step above the DAC-10?

Let's have a little reality. The Mid-Con is still better basketball than the NCC. For the most part, Mid-Con teams have better athletes and attract the players who carry Division I interest. As we have found out about this NDSU move, there's the status and peer pressure about the Division I label that appeals to kids.

I stopped in Tim Miles' office one day last year while he was watching a tape of the Mid-Con title game. It was pretty good ball.

The Mid-Con has a better locale for a NDSU recruiting area (Chicago and Kansas City). Before you're quick to the draw on crushing the Mid-Con, remember the alternative: remaining in Division II and seeing the same old stuff come through here or remaining a Division I independent and seeing a hodge podge of teams come through here."

Look at the RPI ratings so far, they speak for themselves:

http://kenpom.com/confrank.php

1 Atlantic Coast Conference
2 Pac 10 Conference
3 Big Ten Conference
4 Southeastern Conference
5 Big XII Conference
6 Big East Conference
7 West Coast Conference
8 Missouri Valley Conference
9 Mid American Conference
10 Conference USA
11 Mountain West Conference
12 Atlantic 10 Conference
13 Western Athletic Conference
14 Horizon League
15 Sun Belt Conference
16 Colonial Athletic Association
17 Ivy League
18 Southern Conference
19 Ohio Valley Conference
20 Big West Conference
21 America East Conference
22 Mid-Continent Conference
23 Patriot League
24 Southland Conference
25 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
26 Big South Conference
27 Atlantic Sun Conference
28 Northeast Conference
29 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
30 Big Sky Conference
31 Independents
32 Southwestern Athletic Conference

JBB
12-27-2004, 10:21 PM
There is no doubt that Mid Con is a better BB conference than the BSC. *It plays in larger and more promenent cities as well. *With a top notch DI-AA football conference attached (also better than the BSC) it would join an existing club of similar combinations.

filbert
12-28-2004, 02:46 AM
The Mid-Con's biggest problem IMHO is it's viewed by the rest of the NCAA as kind of an entry-level conference. Programs move up to D-I, get into the Mid-Con, get their feet wet, and move on.

Makes you wonder what would happen if NDSU and SDSU went to the Mid-Con and said that they'd give some kind of long-term commitment to the conference. Two flagship land grant institutions that actually stuck with the conference could greatly stabilize the Mid-Con's reputation--assuming that the schools would be in it for the long haul.

I'd love to get in there. If nothing else, because Valpo has D-I Augie written all over them . . .