PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs SDSU - one more time

roadwarrior
02-19-2005, 10:35 PM
The final game of the season for the BISON men next saturday. NDSU ticket and event manager Josh Hemingway said reserve and general admission tickets are available, “but right now, we’re looking potentially at a sellout.”

Lets all get out to the BSA and show our appreciation to our graduating seniors: Adam Dobmeier, Myron Green, David Erbes, Andy Kelchen, Amanda Krenz, Lacey Johnson and Leah Klabo.

Tatanka
02-20-2005, 04:21 PM
I bought my tickets last night. The entire east side reserved is sold out. All that was left was the high corners of the permanent seating and some (I was told "a few") general admission seats. They're even making the students pick up tickets in advance.

Can you say "barnburner!!!"

A few thoughts to ponder...
;DWouldn't it be wonderful to see a sold out packed BSA?
???Why isn't WDAY televising this game statewide?
:-/Will they be bringing in the metal bleachers for the end zones to improve seating capacity? If not, why not?

roadwarrior
02-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Lets make some NOISE :D

Tatanka
02-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I guar-un-tee I'll be doing just that, in spite of having seats up with the living dead in section C... Maybe I can find a nice quiet couple on the east side to trade seats with so I can contribute.

One thing's for sure--I WON'T be joining the Geritol chuggers in yelling at the student section to sit down.

Gamehunter
02-20-2005, 11:07 PM
OMG don't make me think about that...

JACKGUYII
02-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Enjoy a probable win against the Jack men on Sat night as it may be the last for a long time. I can't ever see our team getting this depleted again.

BisonMav
02-21-2005, 12:57 AM
I guar-un-tee I'll be doing just that, in spite of having seats up with the living dead in section C... *Maybe I can find a nice quiet couple on the east side to trade seats with so I can contribute.

One thing's for sure--I WON'T be joining the Geritol chuggers in yelling at the student section to sit down.

At the end of the Football season the Geritol Chuggers were still showing up, standing up and cheering. The student section got pretty sparse.

BisonFan
02-21-2005, 01:12 AM
At the end of the Football season the Geritol Chuggers were still showing up, standing up and cheering. *The student section got pretty sparse.

That is so true! *Just like after half-time...the Geritol Chuggers were still there and the student section was nowhere to be found!

Bisonguy
02-21-2005, 02:19 AM
At the end of the Football season the Geritol Chuggers were still showing up, standing up and cheering. *The student section got pretty sparse.

8)

roadwarrior
02-21-2005, 04:10 AM
I hope the students that fill the stands saturday night watch hoops on ESPN, and act like those students around the country at other D-I schools.

TheBisonator
02-21-2005, 04:45 AM
I hope the students that fill the stands saturday night watch hoops on ESPN, and act like those students around the country at other D-I schools.

Trust me, I watch hoops on ESPN, and I'll make it my personal business to make sure that all the students are on their feet and cheering loud, like a DI school is SUPPOSED to act.

There's nothing more pathetic than a full or near-full student section acting like the living dead.

SDbison
02-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Bisonmav and Bisonfan what are you smoking?
I bet even one tenth of the students make more noise than any number of the living dead (aka geritol chugers). But you don't have to be near retirement age to be one of the many non-participants at Bison games. There are many in their twenties, thirties, forties and fifties that go to games to be entertained. I think some believe it is kind of like going to a movie. Must be an upper midwest thing.
I will be at the game with my wife and our high school age child. I have no problem getting out of my seat and making noise (that is why I drive 250 miles one way to attend a game). Anyone around me better be cheering cause I will be on them to get up and make some noise. If more vocal fans took action there would be less of the apathetic (or should I say pathetic) fans sitting around.

BisonFan
02-21-2005, 05:28 AM
Bisonmav and Bisonfan what are you smoking?
I bet even one tenth of the students make more noise than any number of the living dead (aka geritol chugers). *But you don't have to be near retirement age to be one of the many non-participants at Bison games. *There are many in their twenties, thirties, forties and fifties that go to games to be entertained. *I think some believe it is kind of like going to a movie. *Must be an upper midwest thing. *
I will be at the game with my wife and our high school age child. *I have no problem getting out of my seat and making noise (that is why I drive 250 miles one way to attend a game). *Anyone around me better be cheering cause I will be on them to get up and make some noise. *If more vocal fans took action there would be less of the apathetic (or should I say pathetic) fans sitting around. *

I'm not smoking anything. In my 4 years at NDSU I remember how it was. There were 1 or 2 old men up in the season-ticket reserved seating that made more noise than the whole student section. *That is the TRUTH! *You can't expect all the old timers to be loud and rowdy...but if one or two of them can out-do the entire student section, then I do say the STUDENT SECTION is lacking. *The student section definitely looks like they are going to a funeral rather than a basketball game a lot of the time....Emulate the Cameron Crazies for once! *

Bisonguy
02-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Speaking of what are they smoking-

What's the Bison ticket office smoking?

$15 for the "Jack Pack" gets you in a DI wrestling dual versus SDSU on friday night, and on saturday- a DI men's BB game versus SDSU, and a DI women's BB game versus SDSU!!!!

Holy Cow!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

TheBisonator
02-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Speaking of what are they smoking-

What's the Bison ticket office smoking?

$15 for the "Jack Pack" gets you in a DI wrestling dual versus SDSU on friday night, and on saturday- a DI men's BB game versus SDSU, and a DI women's BB game versus SDSU!!!! *

Holy Cow!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Um, is that $15 deal supposed to be really cheap, or really expensive??

Seriously, I don't know, cause I'm a student. I don't pay for tickets. ;)

SDbison
02-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Wish I could upgrade to the jack pack and attend the Friday wrestling also. Already bought my tickets for the BB games. If I could make it (would need to stay over on Friday night also), I wonder if the ticket office would let me upgrade?
As for Bisonfan you are smoking and inhaling deeply because there are just too many comfortable season ticket holders who make little or no noise. And then there are the occasional tweeners who attend and only watch the game. Maybe the students are not always well represented, but they by far give more life to a game than the living dead. Oh a couple old farts might get up and risk cardio failure now and then, but that is more the exception than the rule. You can believe what you want, but the fact is there is a lot more potential for noise from the non-student part of the crowd! I will not believe it until I see all those over 25 get up regularly and make noise without having to be coaxed out of their seats for cheesy bread. The BB fans in the early eighties did it all the time, but then we were all excited about the play of one outstanding competitor, Jeff Askew (IMO the best to ever play at NDSU).

SDbison
02-21-2005, 06:01 AM
Bisonator....reserved seats for the basketball game cost $12 each.......not sure what wrestling gets, I think around $8. So one could save $5 per ticket for both

BisonFan
02-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Seriously, I don't know, cause I'm a student. I don't pay for tickets. ;)

Ha ha....that's funny! You pay for your tickets. Its that wonderful activity fee that's part of your tuition.

"Students taking 12 or more credits pay a flat rate for tuition. Part-time students (those taking less than 12 credits) pay for classes on a per credit basis. A student fee covers the cost of selected university programs and activities, admission to fine arts and athletic events, student publications, and health and wellness services" ( http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/prospective_students/cost/ )

TheBisonator
02-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Ha ha....that's funny! *You pay for your tickets. *Its that wonderful activity fee that's part of your tuition. *

*( http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/prospective_students/cost/ )

Geez BisonFan, someone must have taken a sense of humour vacuum and sucked the sense of humour right out of you. You think I didn't know I paid activity fees?? Of COURSE I do.

I don't pay for tickets at the GATE.

Sheez...

TheBisonator
02-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Bisonator....reserved seats for the basketball game cost $12 each.......not sure what wrestling gets, I think around $8. *So one could save $5 per ticket for both

That's actually a very good deal. Like those Dairy Queen $20 ticket packs that the Timberwolves give out once in a awhile. They must be gunning for sellout with that deal.

I bet we'll be seeing over 7,000 fans packing the BSA next Saturday. I can't wait!!! ;D ;D ;D

SDbison
02-21-2005, 07:06 AM
That would remind me of the early eighties when I was going to school and attending packed games at the BSA. That was so awesome! Go fans......Go Bison! ;D

SDbison
02-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey bisonator.......do the students sit in the bleachers on the west side. If so you will be able to see a middle aged 280 lb guy go nuts in the aisle between sections S and T about 24 rows up. That will be me. My wife will probably be trying to get me to sit down and act like a responsible adult. Oh well, I am young at heart and think why not get into whatever I am doing......my motto....its 100% or nothing.
Hey no work tomorrow (I mean today) and can't stop posting stuff tonight. All jacked up after playing hockey a few hours ago!

TheBisonator
02-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Hey bisonator.......do the students sit in the bleachers on the west side. *If so you will be able to see a middle aged 280 lb guy go nuts in the aisle between sections S and T about 24 rows up. *That will be me. *My wife will probably be trying to get me to sit down and act like a responsible adult. *Oh well, I am young at heart and think why not get into whatever I am doing......my motto....its 100% or nothing.
Hey no work tomorrow (I mean today) and can't stop posting stuff tonight. *All jacked up after playing hockey a few hours ago! *

That's OK! I'll be in the student section behind the Jacks bench in the 1st or 2nd row, wearing my Bison Brigade shirt. I'll be arriving like 90 minutes before the womens tipoff, before anyone else. If you hear or see anyone heckling the Jacks bench, that'll be me. ;D ;D

BisonMav
02-21-2005, 12:25 PM
*The BB fans in the early eighties did it all the time, but then we were all excited about the play of one outstanding competitor, Jeff Askew (IMO the best to ever play at NDSU). * * * * *

If you were around for Jeff Askew, then you are one of the Geritol Chugging fans. ;) That was 20 years ago man. :o

roadwarrior
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I was there when Ray Ramus was playing for the Bison, and I'm not quite sure what the hell Geritol is even used for ;D

BisonMav
02-21-2005, 01:59 PM
I was there when Ray Ramus was playing for the Bison, and I'm not quite sure what the hell Geritol is even used for ;D

I don't know either RW, but I am sure we look old as the hills to the Students.

SDbison
02-21-2005, 07:08 PM
You are right BisonMav I am old, and only show my years in slight physical appearance changes (ha ha)! ;D As for attitude, activity, etc. I am still 16. Hopefully a bit more mature and smarter than I was at 16. ::) I still chug beer so I have yet to consider chugging Geritol. If you are close to my age then you may have watched Jeff Askew play ball. In my mind he definitely stands out as one of the more talented and entertaining players to ever wear a Bison uniform. During a game he could make a great move and a basket, within a few seconds turnaround get a steal and feed a no look pass for a dunk to Berwald. There was often a frenzy of applause, not just for the points the Bison just made, but for the manner in which Jeff could execute. All with a smile on his face. He had such charisma. Well liked by everyone on campus. I recall he once scored around 32 points against Univ. of Minnesota. After his senior year I heard he was invited to try out for the Globetrotters. Not sure if he ever played any more ball.

scottheck
02-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Q, "How 'bout them kids?" Even in a testoserone fueled fury at senior night, I got choked up listening to Q talk about the kids that would sit on the floor courtside watching him play. It was magic...

I played pickup games against him occasionally. He played at probably 25% and still blew past us or dropped one of those no-look passes off to Wilberscheid or Kelvin. And he'd laugh and smile!

Don't know if he played post-college. He was inducted to the Hall of Fame a few years go. You wouldn't recognize him. It's painfully obvious he's no longer playing...

Tatanka
02-22-2005, 01:50 AM
...Geritol chuggers...
All I'm saying is that after growing up in a state with several D1 schools and attending dozens of college basketball games, the first time I was ever yelled at to sit down and be quiet was at a Bison basketball game. I eas standing to applaud a game-tying three pointer with five minutes left in the game. The loudest those "fans" got the whole day was to yell at me. Pathetic. Worse yet, this was hardly an isolated incident.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not (entirely) in favor of people getting out of control for no reason, but for the love of Pete, a college student at a college basketball game should be able to support his classmates unmolested by the living dead. The BSA is not a library, last I checked. If you want peace and quiet, perhaps you can don a pair of headphones, sit in the periodicals section, read the brochure from last year's Life's Options and leave the oxygen in the BSA to people that can convert it to CO2 with some vigor.

As for defending the living dead by saying that the students don't support their team anyway, perhaps it's that too many students are sick of having to choose between obeying their elders and cheering on their team. All this talk of improving the game atmosphere is moot unless we solve this issue.

And just for clarification, if you have the intestinal fortitude to respond to my rant, it's obvious that you're not a full-fledged member of the living dead. So don't take it personally.

BisonMav
02-22-2005, 04:27 AM
All I'm saying is that after growing up in a state with several D1 schools and attending dozens of college basketball games, the first time I was ever yelled at to sit down and be quiet was at a Bison basketball game. *I eas standing to applaud a game-tying three pointer with five minutes left in the game. *The loudest those "fans" got the whole day was to yell at me. *Pathetic. *Worse yet, this was hardly an isolated incident.*

It's obvious you weren't cheering loud enough if you could hear them yelling at you to sit down. ;)

The Jeff Askew teams were fun to watch. Evidence of 5000+ average attendence in those days.

gwendel
02-22-2005, 10:40 PM
You have to be old, just to remember the term "Geritol set."

I didn't even think Geritol was sold anymore, so I looked it up:

http://geritol.com/information.html

I guess it's a multi-vitamin now, something like Centrum
Silver.

But back in the '50s it was sold to seniors who were thought to have "iron-poor blood" because they were tired all the time. Geritol ads were on TV ALL THE TIME. They were the sole sponsor of The Lawrence Welk Show. Now if you remember Lawrence Welk live on B&W TV, you ARE a part of the Geritol set. I am, and proud to be. (The first Bison football game I saw at Dakota Field was when NDSU rolled over Northern Iowa 31-15 in a 1968 upset. Bisonville says that wasn't a home game, but I remember it clearly--Alzheimer's maybe.)

Along about 1981 it was revealed by researchers that almost no one (except the anemic) has iron-poor blood. In fact it was learned that excessive iron intake could cause serious health risks. OOPS!!! Never heard of Geritol again.

http://www.hippocritis.com/july04/images/Geritol.jpg

Sorry for the divergence, but the kids on this board need to know about Geritol. ;D

JBB
02-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I have actually never taken it, but it was prescribed a few times. Fortunately I knew a guy who would take the prescription and allow the co-pay on whiskey. I think he was from Jamestown, he and his friends that is. 8)

Tatanka
02-23-2005, 01:02 AM
It's obvious you weren't cheering loud enough if you could hear them yelling at you to sit down. * ;)

Indeed. I stand corrected (but only for brief periods of time during intermission, time outs, or other breaks in the action so as not to offend those behind me ::))