PDA

View Full Version : New Jackrabbit Recruit

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 04:37 AM
New Jack recruit has his own website and some hops!

Here are some links:
http://www.camhornby.com/
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Sports/2004/03/20/388797.html

89rabbit
02-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Not that you Bison fans probably care but here is more info on Cam:

http://www.brandonsun.com/displayad.cgi?adnum=1019

ALL-CANADIAN CAGERS: Five Winnipeggers have been selected in a group of 85 boys high school basketball players that will eventually be pared down for this year's adidas All-Canadian High School Basketball Game in Mississauga, Ont. Chris Cobb of Jeanne Sauve, Cam Hornby of Glenlawn, Grant Rayner of Fort Richmond, Xavier Smith of Sisler and Cyril Indome of J.H. Bruns are all in the running for one of 20 spots available on the nationally-televised game that is slated for April 9 at the Hershey Centre.

greenandgold01
02-25-2005, 01:31 PM
New Jack recruit has his own website and some hops!

Here are some links:
http://www.camhornby.com/
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Sports/2004/03/20/388797.html

No offense, but this guy (http://hooplife.ca/viewclip.asp?clipid=9) makes Cam look like Steve Nash's mentally challenged nephew.

He plays for Eastern Washington now.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Keep in perspective Cam is just 5'11.

Paulie
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
And Canadian.

jjbluecw
02-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Those hops should come in handy to a PG. If Cam is ever leading a fast break he might be able to throw himself a perfect aly-oop and rattle in an unimpressive dunk.

greenandgold01
02-25-2005, 04:27 PM
And Canadian.

The guy I linked to is from Alberta. That's why I linked it.

jackrabbit1979
02-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Those hops should come in handy to a PG. *If Cam is ever leading a fast break he might be able to throw himself a perfect aly-oop and rattle in an unimpressive dunk.

You are right, why would basketball coaches ever want anyone who could jump. ::)

jjbluecw
02-25-2005, 05:45 PM
You are right, why would basketball coaches ever want anyone who could jump. ::)

Well I don't think there is any question jumping ability is important. If I was a 5'11 PG I would make a highlight reel of my ballhandling ability, passing skills, etc. You could go to just about any small time high school gym in the area and find a 6 foot white boy that can dunk it if you throw him an alley oop directly over ther rim.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Will be fun to see this kid (Hornby) and Woodside who are similiar size matchup. I never have seen a bad dunk by someone 5'11.

jackrabbit1979
02-25-2005, 05:58 PM
If you think a coach or school is going to look at a kid's website and personal dunk/highlight reel and put stock in that you are crazy. I admire the kid's dedication to the game (and i think he is somewhat strange) but don't discredit him for giving it his all. He is 5'11 and can dunk, that is pretty good. Obviously he needs other skills to make it, do you really not think our staff or anyone else thought of that. :

jjbluecw
02-25-2005, 06:08 PM
If you think a coach or school is going to look at a kid's website and personal dunk/highlight reel and put stock in that you are crazy. I admire the kid's dedication to the game (and i think he is somewhat strange) but don't discredit him for giving it his all. He is 5'11 and can dunk, that is pretty good. Obviously he needs other skills to make it, do you really not think our staff or anyone else thought of that. :

Easy....Jeez. I just said what I would do if I were I talented PG prospect. No doubt recruiting staffs took into account all of of his skills. As far as putting stock into highlight reels I can name a couple players that I know personally that got scholarship offers on the highlight reel tapes they sent out alone along with their stats.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I guess none of us can imagine what lengths a Basketball player in a Hockey Country has to go to market yourself and get noticed. Maybe in North Dakota where hockey has a prominent place you can understand.

jjbluecw
02-25-2005, 06:21 PM
No doubt it would be tough to get recognized from major colleges in the states being a high school kid from Winnipeg. That website is pretty cool.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-25-2005, 06:23 PM
JackGuy, high school prospects regularly send out highlight tapes. *Not that coaches always put alot of stock into them but it definitely helps players get noticed. Just ask Bobby Bowden or Steve Spurrier who have said that they have signed players they had never heard of but who had sent in tapes of themselves and sold themselves to the program. Now I know that f-ball is different then b-ball but no doubt there are kids out there sending tapes to coaches to sell themselves.

jackrabbit1979
02-25-2005, 06:33 PM
I think everyone understands that highlight reels are used (although i would bet much more in football). However, i would think they are only a small piece of the pie. Coaches i would hope put much more stock in stats, comparisons, recruiting ratings, and summer camps, than a website of a kid dunking the ball.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-25-2005, 06:34 PM
No doubt, no doubt.

jjbluecw
02-25-2005, 07:35 PM
I think everyone understands that highlight reels are used (although i would bet much more in football). However, i would think they are only a small piece of the pie. Coaches i would hope put much more stock in stats, comparisons, recruiting ratings, and summer camps, than a website of a kid dunking the ball.

Looks like we are all in agreement then. That is pretty boring.
I just thought it was silly to put a video of yourself dunking when it doesn't even happen during a game. The rest of the website was cool and impressive.

I know another 6 foot white boy that can jump: Adam Dobmeier. He could have put together a cool high school highlight tape of dunks that actually happened during a game. Now excuse me while i go practice my dunks on my 9 ft hoop in the driveway.