PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: SDSU vs. NDSU in Fargo

SDbison
02-21-2005, 07:25 AM
NDSU women win by 8 or more
NDSU men win by 16 or more
Too bad there isn't a traveling trophy for the basketball rivalry. I think the rabbits would have it less often now that we are in DI. Bison will improve quickly and have the funding to do so.
As for football......the rabbits need to make love to the border trophy cause they are going to be kissing it goodbye for a long time. Last year was a fluke and there is no way the Jacks will keep up with the Bison rise to success in DI-AA football.

Bison_Dan
02-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Too bad there isn't a traveling trophy for the basketball rivalry. *I think the rabbits would have it less often now that we are in DI. *Bison will improve quickly and have the funding to do so.
As for football......the rabbits need to make love to the border trophy cause they are going to be kissing it goodbye for a long time. *Last year was a fluke and there is no way the Jacks will keep up with the Bison rise to success in DI-AA football. * *

I couldn't agree more!! ;D ;D

jackrabbit1979
02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Too bad there isn't a traveling trophy for the basketball rivalry. *I think the rabbits would have it less often now that we are in DI. *Bison will improve quickly and have the funding to do so.
As for football......the rabbits need to make love to the border trophy cause they are going to be kissing it goodbye for a long time. *Last year was a fluke and there is no way the Jacks will keep up with the Bison rise to success in DI-AA football. * *

My prediction, Jackrabbits get a win in the women's game sandwiched between wins for the bison in the wrestling match and the men's game.

Funding may be a viable reason for your sucess in football, but in bball there is only so much to fund. Where would the bison get ahead of the jacks, we already have a better facility and the same amount of schollies i believe.

RABBIT
02-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Women- I think you'll be surprised by this one. NDSU is coming off a tough game with TCU this week, while SDSU is going to be fully rested this time around. Jacks also have thier last college game for the seniors. The crowd won't be a factor as SDSU has been playing in tough venues most of the season, and has probably played in a worse enviroment. Jacks also have a starter out that they lost last time we played. I'm going to predict a 10 point womens victory for the Jacks.

Men- The jacks men don't have the talent at guard, using their 3 walk-on's to stop the bison. On the inside the jacks will dominate the bison again, but from the outside the bison will destroy us. I want to predict a Jacks victory, but I know it won't happen, even being a homer. NDSU will win by 30-40 at home. Not harsh, just the truth.

Too bad there isn't a traveling trophy for the basketball rivalry. I think the rabbits would have it less often now that we are in DI. Bison will improve quickly and have the funding to do so.

What does that mean? What isn't going to be funded for the jacks next year? Full basketball scholarships, Another 1-2 million in improvements to frost every year from now for three years, (next year getting new scoreboards for Frost). So where is your "Better Funding"? How are those improvements to the BSA going? Oh, you don't have the money? I remember now. How about that 1 million dollar deficit that was predicted this summer. Sounds like your totally outclassing SDSU in funding to me.

I think your seriously underestimating how important basketball is to SDSU. The bison aren't going to keep up with SDSU in basketball, especially with your upper NCC level recruits your bringing in. Last years recruiting classes may be on the same level in Rivals or something, but trust me, after this years recruiting class comes in it'll will be another 4 or 5 years before the bison can get a win. You can't compete with the BSA in Fargo. South Dakota at least produces a few high level recruits for bball every year, North Dakota has nothing. Those guys you brought in are not going to be able to compete until they are seniors, and then they'll be a .500 team in D-I.

When I worry about the transistion for basketball at SDSU I am always comforted by the fact that guys nagy is bringing in are attracted scholarship offers from schools like UNI, Wisconsin Greenbay etc. I know that he is bringing in the talent to be competitive. Do you think NDSU will be competitive with NCC talent? I don't.

NDSUstudent
02-21-2005, 05:12 PM
The crowd won't be a factor as SDSU has been playing in tough venues most of the season, and has probably played in a worse enviroment. *.

The crowd will be a factor, the BSA will be packed and loud. It will beat the environment at any venue the Jacks have played at this year.

Rabbit you don't know how good these redshirts will be, Tim Miles must of saw something in these guys to make him think they were D1 players. They could turn out to be NCC caliber they could be D1 caliber it's really hard to tell before they even played in a game.

Bison_Dan
02-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Do you think NDSU will be competitive with NCC talent? *I don't.

Why don't you ask your fb coach? ::)

RABBIT
02-21-2005, 05:24 PM
The crowd will be a factor, the BSA will be packed and loud. It will beat the environment at any venue the Jacks have played at this year.

I'm sure USC, Purdue and the SEC schools we played won't hold a candle to the BSA. My point was that the Jacks have been a road team this year, and have played pretty well against tough competition in hostile enviroments. I don't think that the crowd will bother the girls that much.

Rabbit you don't know how good these redshirts will be, Tim Miles must of saw something in these guys to make him think they were D1 players. They could turn out to be NCC caliber they could be D1 caliber it's really hard to tell before they even played in a game.

Who do you think will be better, a recruit that plays in metro minneapolis or Illinois for highschool, or one that plays class A ball in North Dakota? You can get pretty good indications from things like this. Why do you think that the Jacks haven't tried for any of your recruits lately? Do you think that A. Miles is beating Nagy to every decent player in the area. or B. Nagy has better talent and has passed on these guys that NDSU is getting. The only player that NDSU has that the Jacks showed interest in was Sussenguth, and the jacks passed on him when they could get two players that were taller with better stats. Think about it. Why would the jacks not show any interest in Pennick for next season? Why would they not try to get Lucas Moorman. Do you think they don't know what kind of local talent there is? Draw your own conclusions.

RABBIT
02-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Why don't you ask your fb coach? * *

D-Iaa football vs. D-I basketball. Think about it. *What a brilliant reply, a bison fan some how bringing up football for no reason, when its not even a pertinent comparison.

NDSUstudent
02-21-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm sure USC, Purdue and the SEC schools we played won't hold a candle to the BSA. *My point was that the Jacks have been a road team this year, and have played pretty well against tough competition in hostile enviroments. *I don't think that the crowd will bother the girls that much. *

I'm sure all 500 fans that showed up to watch USC play SDSU was an amazing environment or playing in front of 10,000 empty seats in Purdue was really grueling. You have played tough against D1 competion on the road but SDSU has yet to face a hostile crowd. The home crowd will give NDSU an advantage.

NDSUstudent
02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Rabbit NDSU gets maybe one ND basketball recruit every year. Mooreman could be a D1 player, who knows. I don't care who Nagy and the Jacks go after there are plenty of good recruits in the area to go around and just because Nagy doesn't recruit them doesn't make them a sub par player. Nelson, Woodside, Vaughan, Lunde, and Winkleman all seem like good players to me and all could be solid D1 players. You are the one drawing conclusions saying that they are just NCC caliber even though you've never seen most of them play. And most of these players played AAU ball and held there own against other D1 recruits and for the most part played quite well from what I've heard.

SDbison
02-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Funding may be a viable reason for your success in football, but in bball there is only so much to fund. Where would the bison get ahead of the jacks, we already have a better facility and the same amount of schollies i believe.

I think your seriously underestimating how important basketball is to SDSU. The bison aren't going to keep up with SDSU in basketball, especially with your upper NCC level recruits your bringing in. Last years recruiting classes may be on the same level in Rivals or something, but trust me, after this years recruiting class comes in it'll will be another 4 or 5 years before the bison can get a win. You can't compete with the BSA in Fargo. South Dakota at least produces a few high level recruits for bball every year, North Dakota has nothing. Those guys you brought in are not going to be able to compete until they are seniors, and then they'll be a .500 team in D-I.

When I worry about the transistion for basketball at SDSU I am always comforted by the fact that guys nagy is bringing in are attracted scholarship offers from schools like UNI, Wisconsin Greenbay etc. I know that he is bringing in the talent to be competitive. Do you think NDSU will be competitive with NCC talent? I don't.
Seems to me that SDSU will not be able to keep the edge in DI basketball as they were able to in DII. That is due to several reasons, lack of DI schools in the area so DI talent will be spread somewhat equally, being good at best in DI versus dominent in DII, and national competition versus regional. SDSU was able to exploit their winning in the NCC to be the so called preferred school for better DII talent. That has all changed since the playing field is so much bigger. I think you are overestimating the quality of SDSU's versus NDSU's DI recruits. Yeah, I am sure the DI recruits SDSU is getting are turning down the likes of Kansas so they can go to SDSU. You are also underestimating the interest in basketball in Fargo when a team is competitive. If SDSU keeps up its losing ways all the naysayers will be no shows and attendance at Frost will suffer.

What does that mean? What isn't going to be funded for the jacks next year? Full basketball scholarships, Another 1-2 million in improvements to frost every year from now for three years, (next year getting new scoreboards for Frost). So where is your "Better Funding"? How are those improvements to the BSA going? Oh, you don't have the money? I remember now. How about that 1 million dollar deficit that was predicted this summer. Sounds like your totally outclassing SDSU in funding to me.

What 1 million dollar deficit? There was a recent article in the Forum where the AD stated fundraising was on schedule. Teammakers just raised over 1 million $ recently via a phone campaign. At least NDSU can get money from business's in Fargo versus begging rural folks for money around Brookings. As for the BSA, remodeling or rebuild is in the planning phase. Right now NDSU's campus has about 6 major improvements going on related to academics, fitness and student life. Some of the mid-majors that do well in DI basketball have smaller and older venues than the BSA and they do just fine.

RABBIT
02-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Rabbit NDSU gets maybe one ND basketball recruit every year. Mooreman could be a D1 player, who knows. I don't care who Nagy and the Jacks go after there are plenty of good recruits in the area to go around and just because Nagy doesn't recruit them doesn't make them a sub par player. Nelson, Woodside, Vaughan, Lunde, and Winkleman all seem like good players to me and all could be solid D1 players. You are the one drawing conclusions saying that they are just NCC caliber even though you've never seen most of them play. And most of these players played AAU ball and held there own against other D1 recruits and for the most part played quite well from what I've heard.

I think that their NCC caliber athletic becuase they were getting recruited by NCC schools and NDSU. I guess we'll find out next year, but on paper SDSU's recruits look better.

Seems to me that SDSU will not be able to keep the edge in DI basketball as they were able to in DII. That is due to several reasons, lack of DI schools in the area so DI talent will be spread somewhat equally, being good at best in DI versus dominent in DII, and national competition versus regional. SDSU was able to exploit their winning in the NCC to be the so called preferred school for better DII talent. That has all changed since the playing field is so much bigger. I think you are overestimating the quality of SDSU's versus NDSU's DI recruits. Yeah, I am sure the DI recruits SDSU is getting are turning down the likes of Kansas so they can go to SDSU. You are also underestimating the interest in basketball in Fargo when a team is competitive. If SDSU keeps up its losing ways all the naysayers will be no shows and attendance at Frost will suffer.

Coaching staffs are what brings in talent, not history. If history was what got talent and made dominant programs than Notre Dame would still be the best team in the country. I have faith in coach nagy, since he was successful in D-II. Also just becuase we are having a bad year this year doesn't mean thats how its going to be forever. We are getting our bad year out of the way now. You guys will have yours next year. Trust me.

What 1 million dollar deficit? There was a recent article in the Forum where the AD stated fundraising was on schedule. Teammakers just raised over 1 million $ recently via a phone campaign. At least NDSU can get money from business's in Fargo versus begging rural folks for money around Brookings. As for the BSA, remodeling or rebuild is in the planning phase. Right now NDSU's campus has about 6 major improvements going on related to academics, fitness and student life. Some of the mid-majors that do well in DI basketball have smaller and older venues than the BSA and they do just fine.

I thought I read an article in the forum about how NDSU had a million dollar shortfall for this season, but it got reduced some because of another home football game. I can go on Sioux Sports and find the link if you like.

D
02-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I think your seriously underestimating how important basketball is to SDSU. *The bison aren't going to keep up with SDSU in basketball, especially with your upper NCC level recruits your bringing in. *Last years recruiting classes may be on the same level in Rivals or something, but trust me, after this years recruiting class comes in it'll will be another 4 or 5 years before the bison can get a win. *You can't compete with the BSA in Fargo. *South Dakota at least produces a few high level recruits for bball every year, North Dakota has nothing. *Those guys you brought in are not going to be able to compete until they are seniors, and then they'll be a .500 team in D-I.

When I worry about the transistion for basketball at SDSU I am always comforted by the fact that guys nagy is bringing in are attracted scholarship offers from schools like UNI, Wisconsin Greenbay etc. *I know that he is bringing in the talent to be competitive. *Do you think NDSU will be competitive with NCC talent? *I don't.

Get a clue.

1) NDSU has signed 3 players this year, 2 of which had offers from SDSU (Austin Pennick and Josh Vaughn) and SDSU was finalists for each, only to be beaten out by the Bison.

2) Name me 1 player on SDSU's roster that had offers from UW-GB or UNI, or since you said "players", give me two.

D
02-21-2005, 06:15 PM
I think that their NCC caliber athletic becuase they were getting recruited by NCC schools and NDSU. *I guess we'll find out next year, but on paper SDSU's recruits look better.

And this one takes the cake. How can you argue that SDSU's recruits look better on paper. All 5 SDSU and NDSU signees are from MN. 3 of them are Mr. Basketball finalists, those 3 already signed with NDSU. Josh Vaughn is the PG for the best team in the state and turned down SDSU. Austin Pennick is the PG for one of the 3 best 1A teams in the state and turned down SDSU. SDSU has signed 2 players, both are 6-10 and weigh less then 200 lbs. There is not even so much as an argument "on paper". Think before you type.

JACKGUYII
02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I have never seen anything that indicated the Jacks had interest in Pennick or Vaughn. I saw Vaughn play at tha the Timberwolves shootout and frankly wasn't impressed. The player that was recruited by UNI and Wisc Green Bay was Andre Gilbert who has more raw talent than anyone on the Bison roster. Matt Cadwell from Cretin Derham Hall and the top athlete in St. Paul will be a name you will become familiar. I have no doubt the Jacks will out recruit the Bison in Basketball

jackrabbit1979
02-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Seems to me that SDSU will not be able to keep the edge in DI basketball as they were able to in DII. *That is due to several reasons, lack of DI schools in the area so DI talent will be spread somewhat equally, being good at best in DI versus dominent in DII, and national competition versus regional. *SDSU was able to exploit their winning in the NCC to be the so called preferred school for better DII talent. *That has all changed since the playing field is so much bigger. *I think you are overestimating the quality of SDSU's versus NDSU's DI recruits. *Yeah, I am sure the DI recruits SDSU is getting are turning down the likes of Kansas so they can go to SDSU. *You are also underestimating the interest in basketball in Fargo when a team is competitive. *If SDSU keeps up its losing ways all the naysayers will be no shows and attendance at Frost will suffer. *
What 1 million dollar deficit? *There was a recent article in the Forum where the AD stated fundraising was on schedule. *Teammakers just raised over 1 million $ recently via a phone campaign. *At least NDSU can get money from business's in Fargo versus begging rural folks for money around Brookings. *As for the BSA, remodeling or rebuild is in the planning phase. *Right now NDSU's campus has about 6 major improvements going on related to academics, fitness and student life. *Some of the mid-majors that do well in DI basketball have smaller and older venues than the BSA and they do just fine. * * * * * * *

What does anything you just said have to do with SDSU funding basketball. I believe i referred to the post above that stated NDSU holds an advantage in basketball because of funding. But way to go SDBison, take a post and turn it into something i didn't say.

JACKGUYII
02-21-2005, 06:53 PM
And this one takes the cake. *How can you argue that SDSU's recruits look better on paper. *All 5 SDSU and NDSU signees are from MN. 3 of them are Mr. Basketball finalists, those 3 already signed with NDSU. *Josh Vaughn is the PG for the best team in the state and turned down SDSU. *Austin Pennick is the PG for one of the 3 best 1A teams in the state and turned down SDSU. *SDSU has signed 2 players, both are 6-10 and weigh less then 200 lbs. *There is not even so much as an argument "on paper". *Think before you type.

I think the reason Braham is one of the top teams in the state has more to do with Isaih Dahlman (maybe the best junior in the state) than who is passing him the ball. Will see if 5 small town kids from North Dakota and Minnesota will lead you to the promised land. If we have to error in recruiting I will go with a couple of 6'10 guys. I also can't wait for you guys to get a load of jacks 2006 recruit Thomas Bassett 6'5 215 from Iowa. D- I would suggest you use you noggin before you post!

kchats
02-21-2005, 06:57 PM
I would like to see this link claiming that NDSU is $1 million in the red for this season. I don't believe that is the case, because if it was that would be all we would be hearing about in the Fargo Forum. I haven't seen one article about NDSU funding problems so that tells me they are in the black.

silkamilkamonico
02-21-2005, 07:08 PM
I would like to see this link claiming that NDSU is $1 million in the red for this season. *I don't believe that is the case, because if it was that would be all we would be hearing about in the Fargo Forum. *I haven't seen one article about NDSU funding problems so that tells me they are in the black.

NDSU's funding in basketball isn't red. Both Taylor and Dorn have stated on different occasions that the funding is in very good shape. They also stated that, even with considering the downfall in attendance and preparing for it, the attendance will finish higher than expected by season's end, counting the SDSU games for both men and women. I think we average a little over 1300 for women's, 1500 for men throughout the season.

Although I'm not certain, I think SDSU has averaged around the same numbers, maybe slightly higher. SDSU fan's correct me if I'm wrong.

roadwarrior
02-21-2005, 08:28 PM
The shortfall of money of nearly 1 million was stated nearly 9 months ago. NDSU has done a lot of fund raising since then to reduce this amount, and also added another home football game last fall after that figure was released.

When it comes to who knows what about high school basketball players, my money will go on what "D" says about them.

Gamehunter
02-22-2005, 03:40 AM
I think that their NCC caliber athletic becuase they were getting recruited by NCC schools and NDSU. I guess we'll find out next year, but on paper SDSU's recruits look better.

Coaching staffs are what brings in talent, not history. If history was what got talent and made dominant programs than Notre Dame would still be the best team in the country. I have faith in coach nagy, since he was successful in D-II. Also just becuase we are having a bad year this year doesn't mean thats how its going to be forever. We are getting our bad year out of the way now. You guys will have yours next year. Trust me.

No, I probably wont trust you. You team sucks this year, and will be better next year. Our team is not so great this year, and will also be better next year. Sounds to me like our ladder to get out of the hole is a bit shorter ;)

So your saying a good DII coach automatically makes a good D1 coach? Nice to know SDSU is still thinking on the DII level...

I thought I read an article in the forum about how NDSU had a million dollar shortfall for this season, but it got reduced some because of another home football game. I can go on Sioux Sports and find the link if you like.

You would believe something that comes off of that site
:o

Hope to see you at the BSA on Saturday when the Bison run the tables in front of 7000 fans!

JACKGUYII
02-22-2005, 03:46 AM
South Dakota Native Tim Miles has a long way to go to become the caliber of coach Scott Nagy is.

Gamehunter
02-22-2005, 03:51 AM
I never made the comparison as your recently opinionated response dictates :P

JACKGUYII
02-22-2005, 04:11 AM
Jacks lose to Central Florida 82-72 tonight and were withing 6 inside of 3 minutes. Central Florida at 19-8 is most likely headed back to the tournament. Should the Jacks play this well on Saturday night you will see a repeat of the game in Brookings.

somebison
02-22-2005, 04:25 AM
Jacks lose to Central Florida 82-72 *tonight and were withing 6 inside of 3 minutes. Central Florida at 19-8 is most likely headed back to the tournament. Should the Jacks play this well on Saturday night you will see a repeat of the game in Brookings.

Central Flor has an RPI of 123, they better win their conf if they want to make the tourney

BisonMav
02-22-2005, 04:31 AM
I think the reason Braham is one of the top teams in the state has more to do with Isaih Dahlman (maybe the best junior in the state) than who is passing him the ball. Will see if 5 small town kids from North Dakota and Minnesota will lead you to the promised land. If we have to error in recruiting I will go with a couple of 6'10 guys. I also can't wait for you guys to get a load of jacks 2006 recruit Thomas Bassett 6'5 215 from Iowa. D- I would suggest you use you noggin before you post! *

Braham isn't the best team because of one player. Dahlman is probably the best player in the state. Vaughan is the coaches son, and Dahlman's brother Noah is also a good prospect. It doesn't hurt to be Hall of Fame Coach John Kundla's Grandson's either, for the Dahlman's.

GoBisonGo
02-22-2005, 07:32 PM
If we have to error in recruiting I will go with a couple of 6'10 guys.

If we have to error in recruiting I would rather error with local, in-state talent.

jack100
02-23-2005, 10:40 PM
If we have to error in recruiting I would rather error with local, in-state talent.

One of SDSU's 6'10" recruits is local - only an hour away from Brookings - the other isn't far away either - he resides in the Twin Cities. Both might have MN addresses but would consider them local.

D
02-24-2005, 04:22 AM
I think the reason Braham is one of the top teams in the state has more to do with Isaih Dahlman (maybe the best junior in the state) than who is passing him the ball. Will see if 5 small town kids from North Dakota and Minnesota will lead you to the promised land. If we have to error in recruiting I will go with a couple of 6'10 guys. I also can't wait for you guys to get a load of jacks 2006 recruit Thomas Bassett 6'5 215 from Iowa. D- I would suggest you use you noggin before you post! *

Of course you could argue that, but then again Josh Vaughn is the odds-on favorite to win Minnesota Mr. Basketball, so he obviously has something to do with it in averaging about as near a triple-double as one can find. Another ineresting note is that NDSU now has 2 of the 15 finalists for MN Mr. Basketball, just released other day. Now, if that isn't more impressive on paper then the Bunnies 2 non-finalists, well then some are dumber then previously thought.

One poitive note for the Bunnies though from the recruiting end. They did steal a recruit from the Bison not too long ago I am told, a Manitoban named Cam Hornsby, a 5-11 shooting guard. Oddly enough though, it was the U of Winnipeg Bison the Bunnies beat out!! Hornsby sent flyers out to every university in the region and found a taker. He is ranked about 3rd in the province as far as SRs go, for whatever that is worth. So much for the small town ND, MN stuff.

JACKGUYII
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
D- Thanks for the recruiting tip. We had heard a Canadian point guard had committed and didn't have a name.

BisonMav
02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
...... was the U of Winnipeg Bison ....

FYI, it's University of Winnipeg Wesmen, and University of Manitoba Bison

jjbluecw
02-24-2005, 04:54 PM
They play BB in Canada? The only basketball players I have seen in Canada were the ones that weren't coordinated enough to lace up their skates.

BisonMav
02-24-2005, 06:14 PM
They play BB in Canada? *The only basketball players I have seen in Canada were the ones that weren't coordinated enough to lace up their skates.

Steve Nash eh?

JACKGUYII
02-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Ironically on a Canadian site I noticed a poster had this to say about Cam Hornsby "Exceptional standout at Nike camp,played well at Provincial team tourney,ppl say he played like Steve Nash". We certainly could use a point guard that plays a fraction as well as Steve Nash. *

jjbluecw
02-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Not that this is any indication of how good Cam Hornsby is. I grew up along the Canadian border. Manitoba High School teams would come down for exhibition games and get slaughtered by 50 pts or so (quite recently). I don't think the coaching or competition is very good up there. Not meant to be a knock on Canada because 99% of young athletes up there are more interested in hockey than BB.

Yes Steve Nash was the first one that came to mind for me too. He is having an outstanding year.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-24-2005, 07:57 PM
How can you forget Bill Wennington?

NDSU_grad
02-25-2005, 04:12 PM

First of all, D is a UND fan so he's not biased. Second of all, when it comes to college bball he is by far the most knowledgeable poster on SDSU's, UND's, and NDSU's message boards.

WYOBISONMAN
02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
No doubt.....D knows his stuff. Now how the hell did a guy like that wind up being a damn sioux fan..... ;)

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 05:31 PM
D or Corella as he is known on the Sioux Board may have some inside information about recruiting but before you begin to glorify this Sioux Fan take a look at some of his posts on the Sioux Board.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Of course you could argue that, but then again Josh Vaughn is the odds-on favorite to win Minnesota Mr. Basketball, so he obviously has something to do with it in averaging about as near a triple-double as one can find. *Another ineresting note is that NDSU now has 2 of the 15 finalists for MN Mr. Basketball, just released other day. *Now, if that isn't more impressive on paper then the Bunnies 2 non-finalists, well then some are dumber then previously thought.

One poitive note for the Bunnies though from the recruiting end. *They did steal a recruit from the Bison not too long ago I am told, a Manitoban named Cam Hornsby, a 5-11 shooting guard. *Oddly enough though, it was the U of Winnipeg Bison the Bunnies beat out!! *Hornsby sent flyers out to every university in the region and found a taker. *He is ranked about 3rd in the provin mce as far as SRs go, for whatever that is worth. *So much for the small town ND, MN stuff.

Being nominated or winning Mr Basketball does not necessarily mean your the best player on your team (Dahlman/Vaughan) let alone one of the best players in the state. Compiling big numbers against inferior competition in the small school division does not mean your going to tear up Division I. It may have meant more in the NCC than it does for SDSU or NDSU now that we have moved up a level. Many of the better players in Minnesota are not seniors and thus not eligible for the nomination or award.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Being nominated or winning Mr Basketball does not necessarily mean your the best player on your team (Dahlman/Vaughan) let alone one of the best players in the state.

My early favorite for POST OF THE YEAR! ??? ???

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I may be all wet but I think the Jacks can get a sweep this weekend. I really feel with Dickmeyer back the women can beat the Bison. In the mens game clearly we have the advantage in the paint and you get the nod at the guard position. If our guards can simply not turn the ball over at the rate we have been and hit a few shots to keep the defense honest we can win. This is the worst mens team by far in the Nagy era and if you don't win this one at home it may be a long time in coming.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 05:52 PM
My early favorite for POST OF THE YEAR! ??? ???

So your telling me Vaughn who is committed to NDSU and as a senior is nominated for Mr. Basketball is a better player than Dahlman who has his pick of any school in the country and not eligible for Mr Basketball because he is a junior.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-25-2005, 05:56 PM
No, I'm just saying that being nominated, not to mention winning, Mr. Basketball does indeed mean that you are one of the best in the state, in fact it means that many think you ARE the best in the state. Do you think the voting system is that flawed that there are players ending up as finalists, or more so winning, the Mr Basketball award who aren't even ONE OF THE BEST in the State?

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't think there is any question they are good players. I don't think you can say with certainty they are the best 15 or the winner is clearly the best in the state. It's all very subjective in the fact that many of them don't play head to head and many play in differenct classes and conferences with vastly different competition. Maybe it's more clear cut in North Dakota where you don't exactly have and abundance of top basketball talent.

JBB
02-25-2005, 06:01 PM
I may be all wet but I think the Jacks can get a sweep this weekend. I really feel with Dickmeyer back the women can beat the Bison. In the mens game clearly we have the advantage in the paint and you get the nod at the guard position. If our guards can simply not turn the ball over at the rate we have been and hit a few shots to keep the defense honest we can win. This is the worst mens team by far in the Nagy era and if you don't win this one at home it may be a long time in coming.

I dont think your all wet. The Jacks could win both games Saturday. The best chance for the upset is the women. The BISON are kind of limping in after the epic defeat at the hands of TCU.

The BISON men have been playing well, but I hate long streaks. They begin to get akward.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 06:05 PM
I dont think your all wet. *The Jacks could win both games Saturday. *The best chance for the upset is the women. *The BISON are kind of limping in after the epic defeat at the hands of TCU.

The BISON men have been playing well, but I hate long streaks. *They begin to get akward. *

I'm not sure I would call it an upset or a surprise. While the Bison did win in Brookings the Jacks have played a much more ambitious schedule. We were blown out by one DI team and that was one a pretty good team in Wisc Green Bay who I believe is in the top 25.

jjbluecw
02-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure I would call it an upset or a surprise. While the Bison did win in Brookings the Jacks have played a much more ambitious schedule. We were blown out by one DI team and that was one a pretty good team in Wisc Green Bay who I believe is in the top 25.

Agreed. The only reason the Bison would be favored if at all is because of the home court advantage.

Rodentia
02-25-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm on the road tonight to Fargo. coming up from Minneapolis. My father is an NDSU graduate, and I'm going to meet him there for the game. Should be fun, but I am getting a late start, and won't get into Fargo until the middle of the night.

Maybe I will take my parents to the Space Alien Bar and Grill...

JBB
02-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Im just teasing you a little JackguyII, but I do think the BISON, both men and women, are the favorites here, but no upset is possible. They should be equally matched and the games should be competitive.

JACKGUYII
02-26-2005, 03:01 AM
Certainly either team is capable of beating the other. I agree both games should be very competitive and would not be surprised to see it come down to who executes down the stretch.

GoBisonGo
02-26-2005, 05:18 AM
I think it will come down to what team can score more points. If we can score more points than the Rabbits then I think we will win.

Gamehunter
02-26-2005, 05:37 PM
I think it will come down to what team can score more points. If we can score more points than the Rabbits then I think we will win.

??? Isn't that the whole point to the game? scoring points? LOL