PDA

View Full Version : 6,000 plus fans will be there!

DIBISON
02-27-2005, 06:51 AM
DI basketball at NDSU will only get better!!

Last night's games with SDSU which had over 6,000 fans shows what will happen in the future at the BSA!!

Its all about the competition and I'm so happy that the DII level is in the rear view mirror.

JBB
02-27-2005, 03:25 PM
It was never more evident that the old BSA arena cant handle that many people. NDSU will need a new arena for buckets. Mcfeeley makes mention of it in todays forum by saying what are we doing voting on a poorly planned ice arena that is largely unneeded when its obvious we need a better arean to host DI Basketball.

It was great to see the BSA packed to the rafters with the corners full of standing room only. For all its limitations and its questionable future the old place was in top form last night.

Thanks to the guys controling the North Doors for letting me pull up to the door to let passengers off. Much appreciated!

IowaBison
02-27-2005, 05:19 PM
I thought McFeely said yesterday that we are likely to see a collapse of our basketball program?

Why would we want to build an arena when no one wants to watch the games?

I think McFeely should get into politics, he keeps a very straight face for always changing his mind.

(Must be a democrat with his constant poo-pooing!)

TheBisonator
02-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Ahem...

No politics please.

There's Democrats on this forum too, you know.

Thank you.

greenandgold01
02-27-2005, 06:26 PM
According to gobison.com, the BSA is capable of holding 7500 for bball.

What do you guys think?

roadwarrior
02-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Many years ago the entire east bleachers of the BSA were always general admission. In those days when we played UND, we probably easily squeezed in another 1000 fans or more just in those seats.

The original design of the BSA included provisions for bleachers like those on the east side to be placed on both the north and south ends of the building. If those would have been installed, the capacity would have been over 10,000.

greenandgold01
02-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Many years ago the entire east bleachers of the BSA were always general admission. In those days when we played UND, we probably easily squeezed in another 1000 fans or more just in those seats.

The original design of the BSA included provisions for bleachers like those on the east side to be placed on both the north and south ends of the building. If those would have been installed, the capacity would have been over 10,000.

I find it hard to believe that they'd stretch all the way from the north and south walls to the court.

BisonMav
02-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Many years ago the entire east bleachers of the BSA were always general admission. *In those days when we played UND, we probably easily squeezed in another 1000 fans or more just in those seats.

The General Admission helped boost the average attendence to over 5000 per game. Ah, but that was many years ago.

TheBisonator
02-27-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure if I believe the 7,500 capacity number for the BSA. There must have not been more than a few hundred empty seats in the far corners of the west side grandstand last night (the place was basically packed), and there was just under 6,100 there last night. I would think definitely 6,500 or maybe even 7,000, but I have a hard time believing that the BSA seats 7,500.

I would think that if this is the kind of crowd and atmosphere we'll be seeing in Division I most of the time, that then we would have to build a new arena seating 9,000-10,000 to accomodate the fan numbers.

greenandgold01
02-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure if I believe the 7,500 capacity number for the BSA. There must have not been more than a few hundred empty seats in the far corners of the west side grandstand last night (the place was basically packed), and there was just under 6,100 there last night. I would think definitely 6,500 or maybe even 7,000, but I have a hard time believing that the BSA seats 7,500.

I would think that if this is the kind of crowd and atmosphere we'll be seeing in Division I most of the time, that then we would have to build a new arena seating 9,000-10,000 to accomodate the fan numbers.

The dome can seat that many right now.

BisonMav
02-27-2005, 10:02 PM
The dome can seat that many right now.

Have you been to a basketball game at the dome?

Bisonguy
02-27-2005, 10:02 PM

The BSA might be able to seat 7,500 if everyone in the bleachers was 5'8" and weighed 110 lbs.

The top of the bleachers on the east side had room for maybe 100-200 people. You probably could fit another 100-200 by making people scrunch together more. I'd put capacity at the BSA around 6,600-6,750. 7,500 would definitely have some people not in the stands.

greenandgold01
02-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Have you been to a basketball game at the dome?

The state tournament seems to do ok there.

Bisonguy
02-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Doh- forgot to add- 10,000 is too big for BB for NDSU IMO. I would rather see an arena with about 7,000 seats, that do not have obstructed views. If NDSU could get their BB attendance up to around 5k (which is still a big step), that still allows some room to accomodate larger crowds, while being over half full for most games. A 10k seat arena would sound really dead for games with only a couple thousand in attendance. If a 7k seat arena got to the point where it sold-out on a continual basis, raise ticket prices to generate more revenue.

JBB
02-27-2005, 10:51 PM
A new arena should be about 10,000 with a 3-4,000 seat upper deck that can be darkened and closed off.

bisonranch
02-28-2005, 02:50 AM
I think the BSA had 7500 in attendance when the Class B HS tourney was there back in the day. Maybe it was standing room but the place was packed. At least I think there were that many, but I could be wrong, I'm a class A school guy.