PDA

View Full Version : Is this true? (Klabo Charged)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-24-2005, 07:47 PM
I know this has nothing to do with NDSU but I heard that VCSU's Matt Klabo is being charged with assault for a flagrant foul (elbow) in a game against SD Mines. and thought someone might know more. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone seen the tape? If so, what do you think about this going to legal action?

Flintstone
02-24-2005, 08:14 PM
It's True.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1998856

WYOBISONMAN
02-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I would like to see the tape of that one too. It must have been a hell of a foul to draw a call from the county prosecutor. An unfortunate event for Basketball. :-/

Paulie
02-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Anyone here from Valley City? I have family there.

Nodakstud
02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm from Valley City originally. I haven't seen VCSU play yet this year, but my brother has, and they have really struggled again this year. I've heard from friends at VCSU that Klabo is kind of tempermental, and he's been called for flagrant fouls before this season. For what it's worth I heard that the guy from Tech threw the ball off of Klabo's face (trying to save it from going out of bounds), but that's no excuse for a "forearm smash."

That being said, I don't think it's a good thing for athletics to have charges filed in this case. There are many instances when fights break out where there are no charges filed, and I think by doing this, the prosecutor is opening up a large can of worms. Now every time there is a fight at an athletic even, there is a good possibility that charges could be filed.

87Bisonfan
02-25-2005, 04:09 PM
If the prosecutor is filing charges for this, shouldn't there also be charges filed for most hockey games? I am sure football would have a fair share of assault charges also.

Either way, it is an unfortunate event for sports and all those involved in the incident.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-25-2005, 04:26 PM
You would think that any time there is a fight in a hockey game or an usportsmanlike hit in football that there would be charges filed then. Next thing you know the judges will wearing black and white striped robes and be on the field of play.

Junior
02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
We really haven't had to worry too much about NHL fights now have we. ;)

This bball thing is an unfortunate situation.

jjbluecw
02-25-2005, 05:06 PM
We really haven't had to worry too much about NHL fights now have we. ;)

This bball thing is an unfortunate situation.

The only one I can think of that was charged was Todd Bertuzzi (sp?) last year but I'm not much of a hockey fan.

I agree it is unfortunate but IMO it should be taken care of by the Valley City coach. Penalize the player with a stiff suspension. Without seeing the tape though it's hard to say how stiff the penalty should be.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2005, 05:26 PM
The Valley City Coach and player were evidently not very apologic immediately after the incident or since. I understand now they have to be quiet because of the charges. The coach of Valley City and SD Mines were yelling at each other after this happened and had to be seperated.

Nodakstud
02-25-2005, 09:07 PM
I agree it is unfortunate but IMO it should be taken care of by the Valley City coach. *Penalize the player with a stiff suspension. *Without seeing the tape though it's hard to say how stiff the penalty should be.

Since Klabo is a senior, and the VCSU season is over, maybe he should be subject to a "creative" punishment. One idea could be to pay back his scholarship money for the year (I doubt it's anything more over $1000). The punishment for simple assault is around the same fine, and instead of just paying it to the court, he can give up the scholarship to the other guy. Also, I think that he should have to pay the medical bills for the Tech player.

It's a very unfortunate situation...but it does not warrant criminal charges.

SDSUFAN
02-26-2005, 03:51 AM
I have been curious. Is this Klabo from VCSU related to the NDSU women's player who I also believe had one or two older brothers play football for the Bison? The Klabos are all very good sized people and thats how I came up with the curosity question. I dont know where the VC Klabo is from nor do I know where the NDSU Klabo's hail from.

As far as a criminal charge, I dont know if its applicable or not. Its unforturnate, but the officals must see this as something very flagrant, and a game of basketball is not a means of doing physical harm to some one else and then blowing it off.

This will be interesting to see how this all comes out.

Paulie
02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
There is always a certain amount of contact and physicality associated with any sport, whether it be basketball, hockey, football... and everyone participating understands and accepts this. However, when that violence escalates to a level beyond what is considered a reasonable part of the game and becomes excessive, then it is the responsibility of the criminal justice system to intercede. A hockey fight is a reasonably accepted part of the game, but the Bertuzzi assault extends beyond that. Not knowing anything about the VCSU incident I can only assume it was much more serious then a simple tussle and slap, I'm guessing it was very egregious and involved premeditation. The bottom line is that there is always a glass ceiling regarding violence in sports. If I play in a basketball game can I reasonably expect to receive a few elbows, a push, a hard tumble, yes, but do I expect to get cold cocked from behind or suckered with a forearm to the face when play has stopped, no.

Bison4Life
02-26-2005, 07:59 PM
I have been curious. *Is this Klabo from VCSU related to the NDSU women's player who I also believe had one or two older brothers play football for the Bison? *The Klabos are all very good sized people and thats how I came up with the curosity question. I dont know where the VC Klabo is from nor do I know where the NDSU Klabo's hail from.

As far as a criminal charge, I dont know if its applicable or not. *Its unforturnate, but the officals must see this as something very flagrant, and a game of basketball is not a means of doing physical harm to some one else and then blowing it off.

*This will be interesting to see how this all comes out.

I can't remember if he ever said he was related to those Kablo's not. *I kind of what to say yeah but it was distant I think but I can't say for sure. *I went to 5th and 6th with him. *He was a big kid back then and he did have a temper back then also.

sambini
02-27-2005, 11:27 PM
had breakfast with brad klabo on saturday. the kid is like a third cousin.

87Bisonfan
02-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I believe the VC Klabo went to high school in Garrison, ND. I think his father was the principal/coach there also. I am not sure where the NDSU Klabo's are from, but I don't think they were from Garrison.

NDSU4U2NV
02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
The NDSU Klabos' I believe are from Finley ND area, and went to school at Mayville/Portland.

Bison4Life
02-28-2005, 04:31 PM
I believe the VC Klabo went to high school in Garrison, ND. *I think his father was the principal/coach there also. *I am not sure where the NDSU Klabo's are from, but I don't think they were from Garrison.

The VC Klabo moved around a lot. His dad was superintenant in Edinburg ND, and Bottineau at one time also I think.