PDA

View Full Version : Orphan Pseudo Conference

Bisonguy
04-16-2004, 12:25 AM
via the WDAY 6:00 news-

Sounds like Tim Miles is working on a DI "alliance" to help out scheduling in the next couple years. It doesn't sound like it will be a full fledged conference, but rather a bunch of independents that agree to play each other. The teams would be:

NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Texas Corpus Cristi
Texas Pan Am
Southern Utah
Ft. Wayne

somebison
04-16-2004, 12:32 AM
via the WDAY 6:00 news-

Sounds like Tim Miles is working on a DI "alliance" to help out scheduling in the next couple years. It doesn't sound like it will be a full fledged conference, but rather a bunch of independents that agree to play each other. The teams would be:

NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Texas Corpus Cristi
Texas Pan Am
Southern Utah
Ft. Wayne

isn't Southern Utah in the mid-con ???

Bisonguy
04-16-2004, 12:48 AM
I don't make up the news report, I just report it. ;D I just checked the WDAY 6:00 sports on the website, and it is Southern Utah that's listed as one of the seven. *???

tony
04-16-2004, 01:09 AM
I think they meant Utah Valley State instead of Southern Utah.

Bisonguy
04-16-2004, 01:15 AM
Tony, that sounds correct. Shame on WDAY for handing out false information. ;D

BisonMav
04-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Sounds Great!

JBB
04-16-2004, 03:50 AM
I agree. Its a great move.

WYOBISONMAN
04-16-2004, 06:03 AM
None of the teams sound overly interesting, but it is probabaly a reasonable parking place until the conference situation firms up.

89rabbit
04-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Savannah St. left out in the cold again.*;) *Does anyone have concerns about the fact that we will be competing with some of these schools for our conference invite? *I have heard both TX schools and IUPUFW's name talked about as potential fits for the Mid-Con. *I personally think both Dakota State Universities bring more to the tabel then any of the others, but I thought I would check with the rest of you.

Go State!

NDSU_grad
04-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I think geography is just as important as how competitive we are or fan attendance. *If any conference thinks the Texas schools are a better fit, it'll probably take them regardless, and if a conference thinks the SU's are a better fit it'll take us. *However, if we can outdraw them and spank them on the bball court it can't hurt.

somebison
03-15-2005, 02:06 PM
OREM — Top administrators at Utah Valley State College are meeting with NCAA officials and leaders at 10 colleges to discuss the possibility of forming a new athletic conference.
If the the early stage plan to create a new conference is realized, it would mean UVSC, which has been granted Division I provisional status, could cut short its probation period.
Among the proposal's challenges: The schools mulling the move are scattered throughout the country. Teams from Texas, California and Virginia would play Orem-based UVSC.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600118679,00.html

Rodentia
03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
I think that a genuine conference should be formed. That way, you can have a conference tournament, and play for a trophy. If you play each of these teams twice (home and on the road), it begins to look a lot like a conference. Can you have a tournament if there isn't an actual conference? If so, then if a conference isn't formed, there should be a D-I independent tournament, which would be sort of like a conference tournament.

At the same time, NDSU can keep searching for a better conference affiliation. I know the NCAA says that there won't an auto bid for any new conferences, but 1) at this stage it doesn't matter and 2) I think the NCAA would agree in a couple years to add an auto-bid to a new conference. After all, there is one "play-in" game, why not one more?

roadwarrior
03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
I think it should be against the rules to revive a thread from almost a year ago ;D

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Hansel, have you been reading through all the old stuff or what? I thought you might pull up something about if Rocky was coming back ;) :)

somebison
03-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Hansel, have you been reading through all the old stuff or what? *I thought you might pull up something about if Rocky was coming back *;) *:)

Nah- I just remembered the name of the thread and did a quick search to bring it up... odd that I can remember the name of threads started over a year ago, but probably spend about 2 hours a week looking for my keys or wallet :P ;D