PDA

View Full Version : Mens basketball recruiting

Bisongold
01-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Having not followed closely mens basketball, I don't know what has transpired the last 3-4 years. On looking at the Bison men's roster, why is there only 1 junior on the team and only 2 sophomores... and they are all guards? Out of the 11 players listed as juniors or younger, 7 of them are guards. Why were not big men recruited for 2 years when it is so obvious they are deficient next year at the 4 and 5 spots? I know that the 5 red-shirts are being highly touted, but realistically, they will be awefully young which doesn't bode well for the next couple years. Can anyone tell me what happened in the recruiting the previous years? Did we lose some guys ( other than Green)?

BisonMav
01-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Bisonguy
« on: Dec 28th, 2004, 6:43pm » *Quote *Modify *
According to Steve Halstrom, the redshirts have already beat this year's starters in a scrimmage. *

The above quote is a sign of how good the Freshmen are. *There is one 6-7 player from last year getting some playing time for Mayville State as a transfer. *Big guys with talent on DII teams are usually but not always transfers from DI schools. *NDSU's move to DI will help tremendously in getting some height on the team. *I bet SDSU would like some Guards this year. *

Bisongold
01-01-2005, 06:06 PM
What is the 6-7 player's name and why do you think he transferred?

BisonFan
01-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm guessing its Scott Thies from Shakopee...don't know why he transferred.

JackJD
01-02-2005, 12:32 AM
I bet SDSU would like some Guards this year. *

Ouch.

roadwarrior
01-02-2005, 01:14 AM
I would not be surprised if Miles brings in a couple of JUCO players next fall. With the five redshirts playing next year, having a couple of juniors would help with experience and depth.

mikelsch
01-03-2005, 04:52 PM
With this year's redshirts and the 3 new signees, we have a solid base of guards and forwards. Signing a couple post players is the next step, and the most difficult.

kchats
01-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Coach Miles has been quoted as saying the Bison aren't as athletic as their division I opponents this season. He says they have to game plan to account for this difference in athletic ability and that is usually what causes the late game swoon. The other teams athleticism shows up when they realize they are losing to less athletic players. With that being said are the 5 redshirting freshmen any more athletic than our current players? It doesn't matter if they are good players that can shoot if they are too slow to get open.

BisonWarrior
01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I think it is unrealistic to bank on 5 redshirt freshman to turn the program around. Usually 1 or 2 of these will will not pan out as hoped for a variety of reasons. I still am glad that they were recruited and I hope they prove the above statement wrong. Certainly Miles is still recruiting hard as "one class does not a program make".The lack of soph and junior big men is still the most glaring deficiency. Hope they can solve it.

mikelsch
01-04-2005, 06:07 PM
The men's team has mainly one athletic player - Myron Green. Everyone else is quite slow compared to the competition...heck, Rider ran around us. It can only get better from here. Look at it this way, our current piece-meal team does well when rested (against K State, UW-GB, E Mich), just think what a talented and athletic team will do in the future. With a few solid recruiting classes, and with Tim Miles at the helm, I am excited and optimistic for the results.

DIBISON
03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Hallstrom's commentary on Ch. 6 last night included the comment that NDSU may offer a scholarship to Andre Smith of NDSCS in Wahpeton. He is an athletic 6'8" PF/C that averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds.

Bisonguy
03-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Hallstrom's commentary on Ch. 6 last night included the comment that NDSU may offer a scholarship to Andre Smith of NDSCS in Wahpeton. *He is an athletic 6'8" PF/C that averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds.

Supposedly, there have been a LOT of DI schools at NDSCS games this year. Some good DI talent in Wahpeton.

WYOBISONMAN
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
It sounds like James Hennesy from Williston is really making a splash this year. *I believe he is a senior....is he D1 material?

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/2005031111devilslake.jpg

bisongold
03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Watch for the big kid from Williston!! He is young, freshman or soph. , already 6'8 or bigger. His dad played football for the Bison in the 70's...Sanford Qualle(sp?) One of the best players in the history of ND told me he has great potential!!

bisongold
03-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I just checked the paper, his name is Brian Qvale and he is 6'10 already. He had 10 rebounds in Williston's defeat of Devil's Lake yesterday. With him and Hennesey I don't think they will be beat. Anyway...check both of them out the rest of the tourney.

DIBISON
03-11-2005, 11:03 PM
I've heard that if everything works out, Brian Qvale will be the most sought after DI recruit North Dakota has ever had. He has Shaq size shoes. I believe that his younger brother is in eight grade. Yes, his Dad was a big-time football player for the Bison.

Hennesey gave up football to concentrate on basketball. He had a knee injury last year but sounds like he will get a DI scholarship.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-11-2005, 11:13 PM
I've heard that if everything works out, Brian Qvale will be the most sought after DI recruit North Dakota has ever had. *He has Shaq size shoes. *I believe that his younger brother is in eight grade. *Yes, his Dad was a big-time football player for the Bison.

Hennesey gave up football to concentrate on basketball. *He had a knee injury last year but sounds like he will get a DI scholarship.

More so then Boschee?

DIBISON
03-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes, more so than Boschee, because of the height and mobility!

Gamehunter
03-12-2005, 01:42 AM
In person, Qvale looks like a giant. I guess I'm not used to seeing 6'10" though. IF he can put some muscle on in the next few years of high school I would say he will most certainly be a highly sought after D1 recruit. Hopefully another bison at that. I maybe be able to do some persuation, although I doubt its needed. ;)

It is great for me to see all these top players come out of my home town!! Ususally there isn't much in the Williston area.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-14-2005, 09:58 PM
If he is recruited harder then Boschee, I would doubt he would end up a Bison.

DIBISON
03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Especially after his 27 point - 16 rebound performance in the state third place game! No matter what competition level it is, those are good numbers for a sophmore!

Gamehunter
03-15-2005, 12:40 AM
If he is recruited harder then Boschee, I would doubt he would end up a Bison.

Oh, I don't think Qvale will be PAC 10 equivelant. He lacks speed and agility, but should improve alot as he gets older though. With his dad being a big Bison himself, he would have more chance going there than anywhere else.

27 point - 16 rebound.....to bad it was 1 game to late. I am going to have to say we deserved to loose that game against Bismark. Nothing went right, and when they had a chance to catch up late in the 4th quater it appeared nobody realized something needed to be done at the 4min mark and not the 1 min mark.

87Bisonfan
03-15-2005, 02:19 PM
I hope he does choose to attend NDSU. I believe his dad works for NDSU at the Research Extension Center in Williston, so there is a strong family tie to NDSU.

DIBISON
03-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Bison recruit Josh Vaughan has been named one of the six finalists for the Minnesota Mr. Basketball award.