PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Mr Basketball

BisonMav
02-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Charlie Walter's of the Pioneer Press
"Richfield's Ray Brown and Braham's Josh Vaughn are considered the favorites for the Mr. Basketball Minnesota Award to be announced April 17 at the Minneapolis Holiday Inn West."

Sussanguth and Pennick are both on the Minnesota Mr Basketball list of about 20, in the Pioneer Press today.

Thunder_Struck
02-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Is Gunhus on the list?

It would be hard to imagine the 2nd best player on his team is on the list and the best player isn't.

DIBISON
02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't necessarily agree that Pennick is second best "player" on Park Christian. Gunhus can score no doubt, but Pennick does some of that and he does everything else, like assists, steals, and defensive stopper!

BisonMav
02-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Here is the full list, hope I didn't miss any.

Jamal Abu-Shamala - Shakopee
Travis Bledsoe - De La Salle
Ray Brown - Richfield
Travis Brown - Richfield
Travis Busch - Mounds View
Mike Cunninghae - Trinity
Ross Forman - Henry
Mitch Gossen - Mankato East
Kevin Gullickson - Stillwater
Grant Gunhus - Park Christian
Walter Haynes - Johnson
Andrew Henke - Hopkins
Urule Igbavboa - Tartan
David Johnson - Hayfield
John Kreklow - Blaine
Cory Laugen - Monticello
Adam Machones - Duluth Marshall
Mike Moberg - Maple Grove
Byron Ninham - Cass Lake Bena
Austin Pennick - Park Christian
Geoff Probst - Moose Lake
Arsenio Richardson - St Louis Park
Rob Schmidt - Watertown-Mayer
Arden Skoglund - Hopkins
Ian Sommers - Faribault
Sam Sussenguth - Wilmar
Courtney Tyler - Eagan
Josh Vaughan - Braham
Andy Wills - Mankato West

NDSU_grad
02-09-2005, 10:56 PM
When we were in DII, did any of our Minnesota recruits make this list, or for the most part are these guys DI players?

BisonMav
02-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Here is what I found out, mostly from Insiders:

Jamal Abu-Shamala - Shakopee (9 DI's on list including NDSU)
Travis Bledsoe - De La Salle(not listed)
Ray Brown - Richfield(Bradley)
Travis Brown - Richfield(Northern Iowa)
Travis Busch - Mounds View(Cal Poly)
Mike Cunningham - Trinity(not listed)
Ross Forman - Henry(Wyoming)
Mitch Gossen - Mankato East(not listed)
Kevin Gullickson - Stillwater(Wisconsin walk-on)
Grant Gunhus - Park Christian(not listed)
Walter Haynes - Johnson(not listed)
Andrew Henke - Hopkins(Air Force)
Urule Igbavboa - Tartan(Valpo)
David Johnson - Hayfield(not listed)
John Kreklow - Blaine(Air Force)
Cory Laugen - Monticello(not listed)
Adam Machones - Duluth Marshall(not listed)
Mike Moberg - Maple Grove(Niagara)
Byron Ninham - Cass Lake Bena(not listed)
Austin Pennick - Park Christian(NDSU)
Geoff Probst - Moose Lake(not listed)
Arsenio Richardson - St Louis Park(not listed)
Rob Schmidt - Watertown-Mayer(not listed)
Arden Skoglund - Hopkins(Valpo)
Ian Sommers - Faribault(not listed)
Sam Sussenguth - Wilmar(NDSU)
Courtney Tyler - Eagan(UW-Green Bay)
Josh Vaughan - Braham(NDSU)
Andy Wills - Mankato West(und*?)

scottheck
02-10-2005, 12:42 AM
NDSU is very interested in David Johnson. Ass't Coach Koering has asked about him and I'm sending almost daily updates. Johnson is a 6-2 or 3 guard who is racking up the points. Before last night's 38 points, he was averaging over 26/game. He also gets lots of rebounds and goes 9-9 or 10-12 from the FT line. Haven't seen him play nor do I know if Koering has talked to him or the coaches.

D
02-10-2005, 05:00 AM
Here is what I found out, mostly from Insiders:

Jamal Abu-Shamala - Shakopee (9 DI's on list including NDSU)
Travis Bledsoe - De La Salle(not listed)
Ray Brown - Richfield(Bradley)
Travis Brown - Richfield(Northern Iowa)
Travis Busch - Mounds View(Cal Poly)
Mike Cunningham - Trinity(not listed)
Ross Forman - Henry(Wyoming)
Mitch Gossen - Mankato East(not listed)
Kevin Gullickson - Stillwater(Wisconsin walk-on)
Grant Gunhus - Park Christian(not listed)
Walter Haynes - Johnson(not listed)
Andrew Henke - Hopkins(Air Force)
Urule Igbavboa - Tartan(Valpo)
David Johnson - Hayfield(not listed)
John Kreklow - Blaine(Air Force)
Cory Laugen - Monticello(not listed)
Adam Machones - Duluth Marshall(not listed)
Mike Moberg - Maple Grove(Niagara)
Byron Ninham - Cass Lake Bena(not listed)
Austin Pennick - Park Christian(NDSU)
Geoff Probst - Moose Lake(not listed)
Arsenio Richardson - St Louis Park(not listed)
Rob Schmidt - Watertown-Mayer(not listed)
Arden Skoglund - Hopkins(Valpo)
Ian Sommers - Faribault(not listed)
Sam Sussenguth - Wilmar(NDSU)
Courtney Tyler - Eagan(UW-Green Bay)
Josh Vaughan - Braham(NDSU)
Andy Wills - Mankato West(und*?)

There are actually quite a few D2's on that list. *Andy Wills and Geoff Probst both signed w/UND<, Richardson is off to UNO for football, Gunhus is down to UND and Colorado Mines, Gossen signed with Mankato, and the NCC teams are having a dog fight over Jamaal Abu Shamala, but he wants to go D1.

NDSU_grad asked about what is up with Jamil Lott of Wahp Science on Siouxsports today. *Northern Iowa had a scholarship open up after a foreign FR left, and from those in the know it sounds like they are going to offer. *Other Missouri Valley schools have been showing a lot of interest as well, sounds like a few offers there. *He has been apparently been getting feelers from BCS conference schools, but no one has shown him the money yet from what I was told today. Does NDSU have a shot, I would guess guess strongly no unless he really likes the area or something like that. The reason is that Wahp Sciences' coach has a history of sending his kids to the highest standing school that offers them, which conventional wisdom tells is not that bad of a practice, but JUCO kids from this area are SO overrated that the school these kids go to is often way out of their league. But, saying one of your players went to (insert BCS conference school here) makes the coach look good while more often then not wasting the players 2 years he has at said school. JUCO teams in ND play nobody in the regular seasn, inflating players stats to great levels. I could give you a bunch of names, Bismarck State sent Godwin Owinje to Georgetown in the A I era there, Williston sent 2 players to Texas in the Chris Mihm days, Science sent a kid to Santa Clara a few years back. Those 4 were largely non-factors in the years they were at those schools. Recruiting JUCOs at the D1 level is in many cases more difficult then at the D2 level, and there are quite a few reasons for this, but this rant has gone on long enough.

99Bison
02-10-2005, 07:19 AM
Watched this kid play a couple times: Josh Vaughan - Braham, simply amazing.

Flintstone
02-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I watched NDSCS play Southeastern C.C. out of Iowa (2 time defending JUCO champ) on Monday. *Lott had 20pts. and 9 boards. *He looked pretty tough inside. *Rumor has it that Texas A&M had a scout at the game looking at Jamil. *He rebounds well and plays tough defense. *If he gets the ball on the block, he's pretty tough, not much of a jump shot though.

tony
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
It would be interesting to view that last six or so NDSU BB recruiting classes to see how things have changed.

If you have the information for any of the classes before 2004, could you send it to me? I'll then see what I can do about compiling it.

DIBISON
03-16-2005, 01:01 AM
I guess the post should have been here!

Bison recruit Josh Vaughan is one of the six finalists for Minnesota Mr. Basketball. His team is undefeated heading into the state tournament.

bisononce
03-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Thursday afternoon. Just returned from the U of M, site of the Minnesota state tourney Quarterfinal. Vaughn's team, Braham, has won it's 2A game over Minneapolis DeLasalle, 62-48. Braham had bit of of a rough spot halfway through the fourth quarter with the Islanders getting within six (with their clutch and grab game). According to my source in The Bombers athletic dept (and the sports pages) - this was the championship game. Braham should win out... Josh Vaughn had a relatively quiet, workmanlike game. He is a field general, a leader and seldom makes a mistake.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-17-2005, 08:42 PM
I noticed Braham is ranked nationally this week. (USAToday)

TheBisonator
03-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Arsenio Richardson, St. Louis Park. Watch out for this kid. He was an 8th grader when I was a Senior, I believe. I coached him when he was in 9th grade when I was an assistant coach for SLP football. He's VERY athletic. He was/is a star in football, basketball and track. I hope he commits to a good program.

BisonMav
03-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Lance Berwald sighting today on Channel 45 in the Twin Cities. * Assistant coach for Richfield.

tony
03-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Arsenio is going to UN-O.

TheBisonator
03-18-2005, 05:40 PM
That's good to hear Tony. Thanks.

BisonMav
03-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Josh Vaughn is having a good game on Channel 45 in the Twin Cities. Couple blocks, forced turnovers and a few no-look passes. Should be an asset for the Bison.

BisonMav
03-19-2005, 02:33 AM
68-39 at the end of three, pretty athletic team.

22 games won this season by 30 or more points
56 game winning streak.

roadwarrior
03-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Just got home from the Target Center where I watched Josh Vaughn play in the 2A semifinals. He is the type of player that wants to get the ball to his teammates to score instead of scoring himself. He was passing the ball all night and still managed to score in double figures. I'm not sure how many assists he had, but it would have been over 10 if the guys who he fed the ball to would have converted. Very smart player also. He played about 28 minutes of the game and had zero fouls in a game where there were quite a few fouls called.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for the BISON!

Flintstone
03-19-2005, 02:31 PM
They were on Direct TV channel 27 in the valley last night and I think they will be again today.

BisonMav
03-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Vaughn made the 2A All-Tourney team.
Braham defeated Crookston to win the championship.

roadwarrior
03-19-2005, 10:38 PM
The announcers of the MN 2A championship game twice commented on the fact that Josh Vaughan will be playing D-I basketball next year at North Dakota State.

D
03-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Word from some media types is that Mr. Basketball will be either Travis Busch or Josh Vaughn, with Vaughn the favorite because he lead the consensus best team in the state.

greenandgold01
03-21-2005, 04:09 PM
They wouldn't beat Hopkins.

BisonMav
03-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Can you explain why you don't think they would be Hopkins?

D
03-21-2005, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't have any problem taking Braham over anyone in the Minnesota. Look who they beat this year, Richfield, Minneapolis North, Compton Centennial (which was ranked nationally), DeLasalle, Maple Grove, and I am sure I am mssing a few. There is no doubt in my mind they were the best team in the state.

BisonMav
03-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't have any problem taking Braham over anyone in the Minnesota. *Look who they beat this year, Richfield, Minneapolis North, Compton Centennial (which was ranked nationally), DeLasalle, Maple Grove, and I am sure I am mssing a few. *There is no doubt in my mind they were the best team in the state.

I would agree.

Hopkins and Braham both defeated Maple Grove.

For what it's worth, North beat Armstrong, the team that beat Hopkins.

Braham also has a couple more Dahlman's coming up through the grades.

scottheck
03-22-2005, 12:36 AM

Hopkins scrimmaged Braham at the begin of the season. They were pretty evenly matched. This comes for the Haferberger(sp?) kid that hit the on-the-floor shot for Hopkins to send the title game into the 2nd OT. He was interviewed on KSTP's weekend sports show last night.