PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Question.

Loudy
03-21-2005, 09:10 AM
I do not know much about GWFC schools outside of CA. *Sorry if these are stupid questions.

In basketball both men's and women's what is the rivalry like between NDSU and North Dakota? *

For just basketball. *What conference is best for NDSU?

I know this is a North Dakota St. board. But the UND has that Ralph Engelstad Arena right? That Nazi lover who wanted to keep the Fighting Sioux name? They only play hockey there? Where do they play their basketball games?

JBB
03-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Never heard of them....

As far as a BB conference our best chance right now seems to be a new conference assembled from the DI independents. There is a discussion about it on this board in the Bison Commons area under New Conference.

BisonMav
03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I think they play non-conference games in the BEA (Betty Engelstad Arena) and conference games in REA (Ralph Engelstad Arena). The rivalry was fun, but no longer exist on the court. Still exists off the court though. It was the North Dakota version of the civil war.

dakotadan
03-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Geee, I wonder what this thread is going to turn into ::)

UND_Herd
03-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Loudy, I believe that you may have mistaken this board with something that has ceased to exist (hopefully?). NDSU's primary concern plays its basketball games at Frost Arena. There are no nazis in the Dakotas. There are rumors the existence of such things in a black hole just north of Fargo, but since nothing ever comes out anyway, nobody cares to investigate. As things stand now, a conference with other independents is the best deal.

dakotadan
03-22-2005, 04:49 AM
::) My point exactly ::)

kchats
03-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Loudly, there is no rivalry. NDSU competes in division I for all their athletic teams and UND is a division II school except for hockey. Since we are not at the same level there can be no rivalry. If UND ever decides to move up to division I a rivalry may be born if they are admitted into the conference that NDSU will be a member of although their transition period will put them very far behind the Bison in division I athletics. I do not foresee a move to division I for UND in the near future. NDSU has a fellow land grant institution as their main rival in SDSU and other rivals from past playoffs in division II such as , Montana, Montana State, Northern Colorado, Cal-Davis and Cal-Poly. UND's main rival is Nebraska Omaha or Augustana, although Minnesota Duluth might fit the bill. ;)

TheBisonator
03-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Minnesota-Duluth is und*'s main rival now. ;D

Loudy
03-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Loudy, I believe that you may have mistaken this board with something that has ceased to exist (hopefully?). *NDSU's primary concern plays its basketball games at Frost Arena. *There are no nazis in the Dakotas. *There are rumors the existence of such things in a black hole just north of Fargo, but since nothing ever comes out anyway, nobody cares to investigate. *As things stand now, a conference with other independents is the best deal.

Nice sarcasm. But it's pretty clear that Ralph Engelstad was a nazi lover. Who collects Nazi items? And who throws a party for hitler? I mean come on.

Bison_Dan
03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Nice sarcasm. *But it's pretty clear that Ralph Engelstad was a nazi lover. *Who collects Nazi items? *And who throws a party for hitler? *I mean come on.

Just because someone collects artifacts of nazi history doesn't mean they believe in what the nazi's stood for. I can't believe anyone seriously believes he does. This is a studit thread. :-/ :-/

NoDakSt
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Something to be said for in-state rivalries, tho. Last night in second round WNIT action the Arkansas Lady Backs and Arkansas State Indians, obviously both Division I teams, met and played in Jonesboro. The two teams had never met since the founding of the NCAA as the U has a policy that it will not play in-state competition.

The match-up brought out 10, 892 fans!!

Araknsas State won 98-84.

SirHinn
03-23-2005, 04:18 AM
Nice sarcasm. *But it's pretty clear that Ralph Engelstad was a nazi lover. *Who collects Nazi items? *And who throws a party for hitler? *I mean come on.

So the soldiers who have taken items from Saddam's mansion's in Iraq then love him too? Just because you have artifacts of history doesn't necessarily mean you support it. Does having a confederate flag necessarily mean that you support slavery as well then?

greenandgold01
03-23-2005, 04:29 AM
So the soldiers who have taken items from Saddam's mansion's in Iraq then love him too? Just because you have artifacts of history doesn't necessarily mean you support it. Does having a confederate flag necessarily mean that you support slavery as well then?

But Englestad was a holocaust denier, no?

UND_Herd
03-23-2005, 04:51 AM
i can't believe i'm adding to this thread, but here goes...

There is no doubt in my mind that the black hole benefactor was at the very least a devout anti-semite. *if just a small fraction of the allegations against him are true, he was more than just a 'collector'. *look at it this way - he was fined by the gaming commission for tasteless conduct. *"to ralphy, from adolph" is not normal. *call me crazy, but that goes a little beyond 'collecting'.

i apologize for bringing this point up, but - comparing soldiers' souvenirs to what 'he' did is a classic case of apples and oranges. *when a soldier takes something, it is more of a momento, meaning, "we came, we saw, we kicked its a$$." *that simply is not collecting. *sorry.

that having been said...

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/DieThreadDie.jpg