PDA

View Full Version : BSA

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
What are the plans for the BSA? Have they made any public plans or is it all just what the fans are saying? What about moving games into the FargoDome? I know the atmosphere would suffer but it would be so much nicer. UNI plays their home games in the much-to-large UNIDome but it still has some atmoshpere because they are playing some good teams so people are there to watch and cheer. When the Bison do host some bigger names will they consider this?

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 03:20 PM
What are the plans for the BSA? Have they made any public plans or is it all just what the fans are saying? What about moving games into the FargoDome? I know the atmosphere would suffer but it would be so much nicer. UNI plays their home games in the much-to-large UNIDome but it still has some atmoshpere because they are playing some good teams so people are there to watch and cheer. When the Bison do host some bigger names will they consider this?

UNI just built a new arena I believe.

It would be nice for NDSU to have something like that but I don't think we can afford it right now.

I think it would be a waste to do much to the BSA in the meantime, but the athletic department may have some minor to medium sized improvements in mind.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
No, they still play in the UNIDome, both football and basketball. *Just went to a game there last month against SIU.

But maybe they are building one right now for the future?

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 03:30 PM
No, they still play in the UNIDome, both football and basketball. Just went to a game there last month against SIU.

But maybe they are building one right now for the future?

I'm certain they are. I thought it was done already.

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Here is a pic of what it will look like when it's done:

http://www.uni-foundation.org/foundation/SF/images/UNI-Arena-UpHi-NE-final_jpg.jpg

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
That looks really nice, it must be going to be ready for next season. Because I'm pretty sure I wasn't in that arena for the game I attended! That looks like a nicer version of Frost.

Anyway, have they ever considered playing in the Dome?

NDSU_grad
03-03-2005, 03:52 PM
UNI will be moving into the McLeod Center (the guys who make the phonebooks ;)) in the near future. *I'm pretty sure they already started construction. *NDSU's agreement with the city of Fargo allows a certain number of dates to be used by the university. *There would be enough open dates for a few bball games, but the entire home schedule could never be played there.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Right, you wouldn't want them to move all the games, but if/when they bring in a bigger opp. you would want it right?

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Right, you wouldn't want them to move all the games, but if/when they bring in a bigger opp. you would want it right?

I don't think we've ever needed the extra capacity.

Perhaps in the future if we're expecting a crowd of 10k or so.

Otherwise, the only thing I'd like to see in the BSA is all chairback seats.

NDSU_grad
03-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Definitely, and I could see that happening.

roadwarrior
03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I think that the bigger D-I home games in the next few years might be played in the Fargodome, if the dates are available. A lot of it might be just testing to see how it goes in there.

The Fargodome is busy on many weekends in Jan and Feb with home shows, sporting shows, etc.

bisonranch
03-03-2005, 06:26 PM
UNI will be moving into the McLeod Center (the guys who make the phonebooks ;)) in the near future. *I'm pretty sure they already started construction. *

It looks pretty complete on the outside, I just drove by it a week ago.

kchats
03-03-2005, 06:33 PM
NDSU is still searching for a lead donor for the renovation of the BSA. It will probably cost somewhere between $10 million and $20 million and they will do a very nice job to turn it into a great atmosphere. The cost for a new arena is just too much.

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 06:44 PM
NDSU is still searching for a lead donor for the renovation of the BSA. It will probably cost somewhere between $10 million and $20 million and they will do a very nice job to turn it into a great atmosphere. The cost for a new arena is just too much.

$20MM would build you a nice new arena.

kchats
03-03-2005, 07:02 PM
No it wouldn't. It would be a tiny arena for that much. What did Northern Iowa pay for theirs. I bet it was alot more than that.

somebison
03-03-2005, 07:06 PM
No it wouldn't. *It would be a tiny arena for that much. *What did Northern Iowa pay for theirs. *I bet it was alot more than that.

I think UNI paid around 20M for their arena (6-7k seats), makes me wonder about a 40M 4,000 seat hockey arena downtown :-/

kchats
03-03-2005, 07:10 PM
UNI broke ground on October 9. Here's the link.

http://unipanthers.collegesports.com/facilities/niwa-facilities-mcleod-center.html

TheBisonator
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
NDSU is still searching for a lead donor for the renovation of the BSA. *It will probably cost somewhere between $10 million and $20 million and they will do a very nice job to turn it into a great atmosphere. *The cost for a new arena is just too much.

No, we're gonna need a new arena, simple as that. We need a lot more concessions stands, restrooms, press room, etc. I've been thinking about a great location for a new arena: That possibly an arena addition could be tacked on to the new Wellness Center expansion, but I'm not sure if there's enough room.

IowaBison
03-03-2005, 08:09 PM
?

By the Wellness Center?

???

?

???

::)

mikelsch
03-03-2005, 08:48 PM
How 'bout this name for a new BBall arena:
The MicroSoft Center @ Dacotah Field.

Maybe Doug Burgum could sweet talk Bill Gates into paying for the majority of this new arena.

Big_BisonFan
03-03-2005, 09:11 PM
By the Wellness Center?

That is where the new addition to the Wellness center is going. It is being expanded to the west to 18th St. The other side of 18th street is where the new College of Business building is going to be located.

I love the Microsoft Center on Dacotah field, but would "Dacotah Fieldhouse" be a more appropriate name without a big sponsor?

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 09:26 PM
No, we're gonna need a new arena, simple as that. We need a lot more concessions stands, restrooms, press room, etc. I've been thinking about a great location for a new arena: That possibly an arena addition could be tacked on to the new Wellness Center expansion, but I'm not sure if there's enough room.

Think parking.

IowaBison
03-03-2005, 09:28 PM
I don't think there is much debate about this at all.

A new arena would be near the dome, either attached to the west or unattached to the west or attached to the bsa.

wellness center! hah!

roadwarrior
03-03-2005, 09:42 PM
If NDSU builds a new arena, it will be sitting on the old Dacotah Field site. If the City of Fargo builds something (fat chance), it will be attached to the Fargodome. And this assuming the Cityscapes project downtown is slammed in May.

IowaBison
03-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Makes sense to me, did you just logically deduce this Master o' the Road or is it based on something else?

greenandgold01
03-03-2005, 09:57 PM
If NDSU builds a new arena, it will be sitting on the old Dacotah Field site. If the City of Fargo builds something (fat chance), it will be attached to the Fargodome. And this assuming the Cityscapes project downtown is slammed in May.

How did you determine that? Are you on the NDSU athletic department?

There are probably other good potential sites for an arena.

roadwarrior
03-03-2005, 10:01 PM
It was my own logic that I used in what I think might happen. *If NDSU builds a new arena, the BSA will still be used, so the two facilities would most likely be connected. *A new arena for instance would not contain an indoor track.

IowaBison
03-03-2005, 10:10 PM
that may be, but i have heard from people 'in the know' who don't have a problem with the arena being attached to the dome

of course, they might have just been being political? so who knows?

dakotadan
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Has there been anymore talks about Cityscape being built downtown. I haven't heard too much about it (obviously I am in GF). I was just wondering if there is any advertisements or much of a push publically for support.

roadwarrior
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM
The tax portion of the Cityscapes project is up for a vote in a special election in May.

roadwarrior
03-03-2005, 11:33 PM
NorthDakotaBison,

I was just referring to a new arena attached to the BSA if ONLY NDSU was involved building it. If it was a joint project with the city, I'm thinking it would be attached to the Fargodome.

JBB
03-04-2005, 12:21 AM
This is a couple of yrs old but I saw a plan for the BSA that included expansion onto old Dacotah Field. I dont exactly remember how it was going to be laid out but there were excercise areas for students, track, arena, hall of fame, about everything you could imagine. Maybe this plan is dead. It may have been derailed by the new Wellness center?

It would be best if the city would build adjacent to the Dome. Its only going to take a 3.5 yr extension of the Dome tax to pay for the hockey arena coming up for a vote this spring. That means a new arean could be built in the next five yrs.

kchats
03-04-2005, 04:17 AM
We want a renovated BSA long before 5 years is up. I hope a lead donor steps up with some serious cash so they can get started. It would be great to have it complete by next basketball season or at least under construction.

NDSU_grad
03-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't think there is much debate about this at all.

A new arena would be near the dome, either attached to the west or unattached to the west or attached to the bsa.

wellness center! hah!

Doesn't the dome pretty much go right next to 18th street on the west? I always thought a new arena could be attached to the south end of the dome.

IowaBison
03-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Nope, you've got the west parking lot, a bunch of open space and then the tech park

The could easily build an arena there.

greenandgold01
03-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Nope, you've got the west parking lot, a bunch of open space and then the tech park

The could easily build an arena there.

Is there enough room for a hotel and an arena?

IowaBison
03-04-2005, 09:20 PM
without question

http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/maps/NDSU-CampusMap200406-bw.pdf

tried to use a photo from the city of fargo, but it was a no go

BisonCountry
03-04-2005, 09:25 PM
It would be nice if they could in corporate a skyway between the hotel and a new arena.

greenandgold01
03-04-2005, 09:40 PM
http://img234.exs.cx/img234/2930/ndsu13zn.jpg

Green is the hotel, yellow the stadium, and red are skywalks.

scottheck
03-05-2005, 06:01 PM
The Development Foundation's new campaign, coming later this year and called Momentum(watch for it in your mailbox), has $$ assigned to a BSA remodel. I don't have the details here at home but seems to me it was in the $4-5MM neighborhood. They're still looking for a major donor on this project, and many others. Anyone out there...??

greenandgold01
03-05-2005, 06:05 PM
What would $5MM get you in the BSA? New seats?

BisonMav
03-05-2005, 06:22 PM
What would $5MM get you in the BSA? New seats?

It might get them 1/4 to 1/3 of the way to where they want to be for the renovation.

roadwarrior
03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I thought that the amount was $8 million for the BSA in the new campaign.

scottheck
03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I thought that the amount was $8 million for the BSA in the new campaign.

You are correct, $8MM. About $1MM has been pledged thus far. For those who believe this is an important project, make your pledges. The Foundation will be happy to take your call.

kchats
03-07-2005, 03:24 AM
I have heard it will be more than $8 million. Closer to $10 million and that when complete it will be very well done.

Siouxpreme
03-07-2005, 06:04 AM
I have heard it will be more than $8 million. *Closer to $10 million and that when complete it will be very well done. *

Why not just raise money by increasing student fees, like Northern Colorado is proposing? Then you wouldn't have to wait on the fundraising. Besides, you wouldn't have to deal with negative newspaper publicity editorializing against you like UNC does. Surely the Fargo media would be in favor of sticking fees on the students. Just wonder if the Big Sky acceptance is contingent on the UNC students agreeing to a fee increase.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20050227/TRIBEDIT/102270063

We think UNC officials' reactive response illuminates their poor planning. They should have anticipated the needed improvements before boarding the Division I train. You don't hop on, then decide where you're going and how you'll pay for your hotel once you arrive.

We don't disagree that newer, fancier facilities look good. We're all for improving UNC's reputation.

But in difficult financial times, asking students for more money shouldn't be the first answer to solving the university's funding dilemma.

Big_BisonFan
03-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Why not just raise money by increasing student fees, like Northern Colorado is proposing? *Then you wouldn't have to wait on the fundraising. *Besides, you wouldn't have to deal with negative newspaper publicity editorializing against you like UNC does. *Surely the Fargo media would be in favor of sticking fees on the students.

Great idea, tax the students more than they already are (sarcasim). Also, if you haven't noticed NDSU gets ripped by local media for "taxing" the students to fund the Division I move (which really they aren't, students only help fund travel expenses).

Instead of taping your alumni, why didn't UND just tax the students for a new hockey and basketball arena. Sounds like a good idea doesn't it?

Some people's kids? :P

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Just received this info from UNI concerning the McLeoud Center:

The building will cost $23 -24 million to construct. We began raising
funds for this project 4 years ago. Construction began last October
('04) and we anticipate opening the building in the Fall of '06. Private
donations are paying for 85-90% of the costs. You might want to visit
the UNI Foundation website http://www.uni-foundation.org/ to learn more.

greenandgold01
03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Just received this info from UNI concerning the McLeoud Center:

The building will cost $23 -24 million to construct. We began raising
funds for this project 4 years ago. Construction began last October
('04) and we anticipate opening the building in the Fall of '06. Private
donations are paying for 85-90% of the costs. You might want to visit
the UNI Foundation website http://www.uni-foundation.org/ to learn more.

Does that $24MM include site preparation and improvements?

JACKGUYII
03-08-2005, 09:42 PM
24 million seems very cheap. Sioux Falls is working on putting together a 70 million dollar, 12,000 seat dowtown seat events center.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Does that $24MM include site preparation and improvements?

I'm not sure what all it includes, I received the info from the UNI Vice President for Marketing and Advancement

kchats
03-08-2005, 11:15 PM
That is probably a bare bones arena. NDSU needs the arena to have all that is included in the BSA. Even if they did build a new arena (not going to happen) they would need to renovate the BSA for the remaining tenants.

roadwarrior
03-09-2005, 01:44 AM
I believe that the McLeod center at UNI will seat somewhere in the 6000-7000 range.

sambini
03-09-2005, 01:50 AM
JUST TAKE ALOOK AT THE LITTLE RALPH IN THIEF RIVER IT COST 15 MILLION. THEY PLAYED SUB SECTION BB THERE.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-09-2005, 03:39 PM
That is probably a bare bones arena. *NDSU needs the arena to have all that is included in the BSA. *Even if they did build a new arena (not going to happen) they would need to renovate the BSA for the remaining tenants.

What do you mean by all that is included in the BSA?? The track?
Or the 1973 sound system? :D

kchats
03-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Wrestling, weight room, the track and pool. You never know NDSU made end up adding women's swimming again to even out scholarships.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Wrestling, weight room, the track and pool. *You never know NDSU made end up adding women's swimming again to even out scholarships.

So you don't think that they will build a new arena? The cost to update the BSA would be pretty high and probably relatively close to the costs of building a brand new arena I would think. Besides, if they are going to be having much larger crowds in the future then why waste the money on spicing up the old arena when they could build a new state-of-the-art arena? I would think that they definitely will make some plans in the next couple of years because the BSA just won't cut it at the DI level!

Couldn't the wrestling and track teams stay in the BSA? Are the facilities good enough for these sports or not?

greenandgold01
03-09-2005, 07:19 PM
If we do build a new bb/vb arena...it damn well will not have the ugliest half basketball half volleyball garbage at center court!!!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-09-2005, 08:13 PM
If we do build a new bb/vb arena...it damn well will not have the ugliest half basketball half volleyball garbage at center court!!!

Smack ??? ??? ??? :o

WYOBISONMAN
03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
I am with Sioux on this one.....it would probably be easier to build a BB arena than remodel the BSA......although I do have to admit to a sentimental attachement to the BSA.

greenandgold01
03-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Smack ??? ??? ??? :o

What were you guys thinking?!

Why not have the sioux head logo?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
What were you guys thinking?!

Why not have the sioux head logo?

Yeah, I was the one they asked when they were deciding what logo to have. I also picked out the metal on the walls at the Alerus Center. My ideas are ahead of their time, wait and you will see ;D

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Honestly though, I thought they would have put the Sioux head logo there and was surprised it wasn't. There was a bit of an outcry when the Sioux head logo was first placed on the floor in the Slop and REA, because "people are walking on it then" ??? If this was the case then why would any team want to put their logo on the playing surface? You got me?

greenandgold01
03-09-2005, 09:27 PM
What about having a green outline of the state of North Dakota sort of like Indiana and North Carolina?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah that would look pretty cool. Kind of boring though!
I'm thinking maybe an innovative new idea, a large flat screen set just under clear flooring and the replays could be shown right there on the middle of the floor. This way those terrible NCC refs could see the calls they missed without making it obvious that they were watching the replay! :D

DIBISON
03-10-2005, 01:48 AM
I believe that it was last spring when Gene Taylor talked about NDSU's plans for a basketball arena.

For the short term they plan on using the BSA. It would be upgraded with 8-10 million of improvements including new coach's offices, two practice courts, and training rooms built on to the west side of the BSA.

Their long-term goal is to build a new arena after the basketball programs have established themselves at the DI level.

WYOBISONMAN
03-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Taylor's plan seems to make a lot of sense.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
What all does NDSU have in the works right now, as far as facilities projects? Is there a lot of new stuff going on that funds are being put into?

Looking at it, that would be a good and cheap way to do for now. What are all the upgrades that need to be addressed?

-Sound system
-Lighting
-Bleachers?
-Locker rooms
-training facilities
What condition is the floor in?
Are there more?
What would the costs be of these upgrades?

greenandgold01
03-10-2005, 06:04 PM
What all does NDSU have in the works right now, as far as facilities projects? Is there a lot of new stuff going on that funds are being put into?

Looking at it, that would be a good and cheap way to do for now. What are all the upgrades that need to be addressed?

-Sound system
-Lighting
-Bleachers?
-Locker rooms
-training facilities
What condition is the floor in?
Are there more?
What would the costs be of these upgrades?

The floor was new this season. We bought it from Kansas State.

WYOBISONMAN
03-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Probably the most costly item will be revamping the seating so it is more comfortable and giving the BSA more of an "arena" appearance.....if that is possible.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Probably the most costly item will be revamping the seating so it is more comfortable and giving the BSA more of an "arena" appearance.....if that is possible.

But doesn't it seem that if they are to revamp the seating, add coaches rooms, training rooms, and everything else that it will cost much more then 8-10mm? Maybe not?? I would think it would be better to just leave it as is for 2 or 3 more years while in transition, then build a new one. IMO why throw money into the old building just to update it for 6-7 years at a cost that will be quite high? Wouldn't this make more sense?

Big_BisonFan
03-10-2005, 07:01 PM

I think it will really be hard to make the BSA feel like an "arena". But I am sure there are people that know a lot more than we do about this that have given the Athletic Dept. ideas as how to go about imroving the feel and quality of the BSA. Personnally, I think the first and foremost concern needed to be addressed is the sound system. A person has to really listen hard to hear anything said by the PA.

tony
03-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Sioux_yeah_yeah, I kind of think that NDSU will be using the remodeled BSA for a long time even after a new BB arena is built - it's just that when the new BB arena is built they won't be using it to play basketball games. If I'm right, and I seldom am, it would seem odd to do overly costly improvements that would only benefit basketball.

greenandgold01
03-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Put me in the "don't touch the BSA" camp. I'd like to see a new building that houses all the olympic sports offices, as well as provides a gameday facility for bb and vb.

BisonMav
03-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Real Basketball Fans Don't need comfortable seating ;)

Because they are standing and cheering.

TheBisonator
03-11-2005, 03:43 AM
I agree with greenandgold01. I don't think they should do anything to the BSA, and they should start funding for a new arena right away. If they rennovate the BSA, then once they demolish the thing in the future, they'll be knocking down 8-10 million dollars worth of relatively new stuff.

I'd like to see a new arena seating around 9,000 attached to the Fargodome with skyway system attached to the new hotel. A restaurant attached to the Fargodome/Arena is also on my wish list.

greenandgold01
03-11-2005, 03:50 AM
I agree with greenandgold01. I don't think they should do anything to the BSA, and they should start funding for a new arena right away. If they rennovate the BSA, then once they demolish the thing in the future, they'll be knocking down 8-10 million dollars worth of relatively new stuff.

I'd like to see a new arena seating around 9,000 attached to the Fargodome with skyway system attached to the new hotel. A restaurant attached to the Fargodome/Arena is also on my wish list.

Are you on the Fargodome board or something?

kchats
03-11-2005, 03:52 AM
Why would NDSU fund a building and/or arena and attach it to the FargoDome? NDSU only owns the land that the FargoDome sits on. There is no way NDSU funds a new arena and attaches it to the dome. My guess is that if NDSU plans to build a new arena it would cost $50 million or more. Englestad Arena in Grand Forks is quite a bit overblown but that place cost $100 million. NDSU has many financial needs as they continue to add scholarships and travel expenses. I think they need to renovate the BSA and make it as nice as they possibly can for all their olympic sports and basketball and use it until the need and money are there for a great new arena. When the basketball programs get up and running and become successful, it will be far easier to get a lead donor for a new arena. Let's fix the BSA to help with recruiting and coaches and athletic personnel comfort and build good division I basketball teams and volleyball teams before we start talk of a new arena.

tony
03-11-2005, 04:12 AM
I don't think they'll tear down the BSA even after a new arena is built since the current BSA is really over-utilized. If we build a new arena and tear down the BSA, we'd just end up shifting that problem to the new place.

roadwarrior
03-11-2005, 05:22 AM
NDSU is still using the Bentson/Bunker Fieldhouse 35 years after its replacement was finished. *When I look up at the rafters in the BSA, there is a lot of steel holding that place up. *That building will still be there 50 years from now. *There will be some major remodeling and repairs done in that timeframe however.

TheBisonator
03-11-2005, 05:48 AM
OK, IF the BSA will stay standing, here's what I think they should do then:

1) Install retractable cushioned-seat-bleachers and replace the seats in the upper west side level

2) New sound system

3) New overhead scoreboard

4) New improved lighting

5) Add a few suites on the top of the west side level

6) Add about 4-6 more concession stands

7) Add around 4 more restrooms

8) Build a new weight room

9) Build a new athletic training area

10) Rennovate the meeting rooms

11) New end scoreboards

12) Rennovate the upper west-side concourse

Only then will it be adequate enough for a Division I facility. Seriously, that's a lot of stuff to replace for not building a new arena.

NDSUstudent
03-11-2005, 05:50 AM
My guess is that if NDSU plans to build a new arena it would cost $50 million or more. *Englestad Arena in Grand Forks is quite a bit overblown but that place cost $100 million.

I don't think a new arena would cost 50+million unless your going to have over 10,000 seats and all the extras. Here is an arena that NIU spent 36 million on. The arena was built in 2002 and seats 10k.
http://www.convocenter.niu.edu/about/galleries/picture_galleries/inside/2-01.jpg

roadwarrior
03-11-2005, 01:51 PM
This about the Northern Illinois arena:

"More than half of the arena’s seats will be flexible, telescopic seating, allowing seats to be fully extended or folded back into the facility’s walls to create a smaller or larger seating capacity depending on each event."

This is what would be needed to upgrade the seating in the BSA. If a large number of seats could be configured for both the north and south ends, it would greatly improve the "feel" of an arena. Blocking out the view of the distant north and south walls would overcome the feeling of being in such a large space.

Bisonator came up with a pretty good list of improvements.

I think we would all like to see a shiny new arena next door to the BSA, but I think its a long shot, unless one of us wins the powerball jackpot and decides to build it for NDSU.

greenandgold01
03-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't think a new arena would cost 50+million unless your going to have over 10,000 seats and all the extras. Here is an arena that NIU spent 36 million on. The arena was built in 2002 and seats 10k.
http://www.convocenter.niu.edu/about/galleries/picture_galleries/inside/2-01.jpg

This looks like it could seat hockey if needed too.

bisongold
03-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Puck the Fockey!!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Does the NIU arena have the facilities that NDSU needs though, all the extras brought up earlier? The things that are needed for wrestling, track, etc.?

Going back to the point of tearing down the BSA, when UND built the Betty for basketball and volleyball they turned Hyslop into mainly a student wellness facility. It is still used, however, by the baseball and softball teams, track teams, swimming, and more. There was a lot of congestion in there before the Betty was built but now the teams have a nice large open practice facility and students have more areas to work out and enjoy. My point is that tearing down the arena only shifts the congestion rather then freeing up more space. People have expressed the need for a student wellness center at NDSU and the BSA could be a good short term alternative while you wait for a new one. The other teams would also enjoy more freedom for scheduling practices.

BisonCountry
03-11-2005, 03:58 PM
*People have expressed the need for a student wellness center at NDSU and the BSA could be a good short term alternative while you wait for a new one.

The student body funded a new wellness center 4-5 years ago and I think their planning to expand it further. It is on the west side of the campus near the new dormitory. The athletes are the only ones using the BSA weight rooms, so they might be affected by any major renovations.

As much as I would love to see a new bb arena, I just don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. The money being raised just doesn't support that big of a project yet. The BSA obviously needs some of the improvements mentioned and I think the administration will be content with that until a major contribution or fund drive happens.

Bisonguy
03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
IMO- it appears that NDSU is taking a sound approach to the arena issue. There are many more improvements with the renovation to the BSA than just the BB/wrestling arena. The last drawings I saw showed an expansion over to about the 40 or 50 yard line of Dacotah Field (sorry for the nostaglia fans).

Also, why not wait out the DI transition as the AD is doing, and see what size of a new arena will be needed? If attendance grows to the point that the BSA would be too small, why build a new arena now that would only seat 6,000? On the opposite note, if attendance is never over 6,000, why build an arena that seats 10,000?

Wait and see what's needed, and update the BSA for immediate needs.

Bisonguy
03-11-2005, 04:12 PM
The student body funded a new wellness center 4-5 years ago and I think their planning to expand it further. *It is on the west side of the campus near the new dormitory. *The athletes are the only ones using the BSA weight rooms, so they might be affected by any major renovations.

The Wellness Center will recieve an expansion that will be completed in 2007- http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/expansion/index.shtml

There's a PDF file on what will be included-http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/expansion/ppoint_schematic.pdf

WYOBISONMAN
03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
No way would the BSA be demolished as a result of a new arena. The BSA is a very functional facility for many things......just not a great BB venue.

NDSUstudent
03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Does the NIU arena have the facilities that NDSU needs though, all the extras brought up earlier? *The things that are needed for wrestling, track, etc.? *

The NIU arena covers all those sports and also has added practice facilitiies. I don't think NDSU would need to add the practice facilities or the track since they would not be tearing down the BSA. NDSU would also need about 1500 less seats so the arena total cost for NDSU would probaby be more around 30 million. 30 million would probably be double the cost of renovating the BSA but I think it would be worth it since a new arena would draw more fans in, create more excitment in Bison basketball, and it would also give the univeristy more money since the arena would be equipped with some suites and there would be added to ticket revenue. Also a new basketball arena would send a pretty good statment to area DI conferences that NDSU has a solid commitment into building a good DI basketball program.

The arena could be funded by taking the 15 million NDSU was going to put into the BSA, selling the naming rights for another 5 million, and then either getting a city wide vote for the extra 10 million or work with the dome. I know it is a long shot but I think it makes alot more sense then putting 15 million into the BSA and then building a new arena 10 years down the road.

BisonCountry
03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
It took them 3 years to get Newman to buy the naming rights of the baseball field for $1M, so it might be hard to find someone to spend $5M. *I like your ideas I just don't know if it is feasible.

Bison_Dan
03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
The NIU arena covers all those sports and also has added practice facilitiies. I don't think NDSU would need to add the practice facilities or the track since they would not be tearing down the BSA. NDSU would also need about 1500 less seats so the arena total cost for NDSU would probaby be more around 30 million. 30 million would probably be double the cost of renovating the BSA but I think it would be worth it since a new arena would draw more fans in, create more excitment in Bison basketball, and it would also give the univeristy more money since the arena would be equipped with some suites and there would be added to ticket revenue. Also a new basketball arena would send a pretty good statment to area DI conferences that NDSU has a solid commitment into building a good DI basketball program.

The arena could be funded by taking the 15 million NDSU was going to put into the BSA, selling the naming rights for another 5 million, and then either getting a city wide vote for the extra 10 million or work with the dome. I know it is a long shot but I think it makes alot more sense then putting 15 million into the BSA and then building a new arena 10 years down the road.

I wonder what the cost would be to add on to the west side of the BSA and add offices and a BB court? You already have one wall, heating is there, you could build a 8-10k seat arena with boxes around the top. The boxes would help pay for the cost. This would make the BSA a great multi use building.

Bisonguy
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Naming rights are not going for anywhere near $5MM in the region. Alerus Financial paid less than $300k for the naming rights to the then-Aurora Center in Grand Forks.

NDSUstudent
03-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I think 5 million could happen, if you look around college sports there are corps. putting huge amounts of money into stadiums for area colleges. I think 5 million for a lifetime naming rights for the states only DI college hoops program is pretty reasonable. And also an arena for NDSU has a lot more marketablity and value over a stadium naming rights for a local minor league baseball team. 5 million may be on the high end but I think at least 2.5 million could happen.

IowaBison
03-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Hell, I've already got the company picked out

How does Buffalo Wild Wings Arena sound? :)

roadwarrior
03-11-2005, 05:58 PM
How about Scheels All Sports Arena ??

BisonMav
03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Microsoft Great Plains Arena

BisonCountry
03-11-2005, 06:06 PM

Although Buffalo Wild Wings Arena would provide some great food, Hooter's Arena will make for better atmosphere! :)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-11-2005, 06:10 PM
It's too bad Pres. Bush didn't drop his checkbook when he visited or there could have been a nice new arena built! Not sure of a name though... Bush Garden ??? ;D

Bisonguy
03-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Microsoft Great Plains Arena

It's just plain-old Microsoft now. My neighbor works for them, and I was corrected on that issue.

IowaBison
03-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Alien Arena ???

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Tharldson Center??

kchats
03-12-2005, 02:52 AM
NDSU needs to find a lead donor to fund the renovation of the BSA. I think that is a much more worthy thing than trying to sell the naming rights for a new arena that won't be built anytime soon.

NDSU_grad
03-14-2005, 03:52 PM

It's better than the Dunkin' Donuts Center, home of the Providence Friars.

WYOBISONMAN
03-14-2005, 05:47 PM
How about the Viagra Center......they play some stiff ball in there..... ;)

kchats
04-07-2005, 03:51 AM
I was in Hammons Student Center at Southwest Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri tonight. I was working at a high school balsa wood bridge contest on the main basketball floor. That arena is not really any better than the BSA although it seats 8,846 people. It was built about the same time and it is also a multipurpose arena. They hosted all of their women's basketball NIT games their as the won the championship. Once the renovations are complete at the BSA it will be far nicer than Hammons Student Center.

Paulie
04-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I was in Hammons Student Center at Southwest Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri tonight. *I was working at a high school balsa wood bridge contest on the main basketball floor. *That arena is not really any better than the BSA although it seats 8,846 people. *It was built about the same time and it is also a multipurpose arena. *They hosted all of their women's basketball NIT games their as the won the championship. *Once the renovations are complete at the BSA it will be far nicer than Hammons Student Center.

Do they have roll away bleachers? Are they chair back or bench?

tony
04-07-2005, 04:31 PM
It looks pretty nice to me. If the BSA turns out nicer, that'd be outstanding.

Panoramic view (http://www.smsu.edu/tour/panoramic/panoramic.asp?PanoramicID=6&TourGuideID=1&stop=8)

Looks like mostly seatbacks except above and behind the baskets. It doesn't look like anything rolls away.

Here's just a plain photo in case the fancy panorama stuff doesn't work for you (http://www.smsbears.net/facilities/hammons/hammons.jpg)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-07-2005, 04:56 PM
That place would look pretty good with a lot of people in it. Everything looks a lot better when it is full of people. Look at a pic of an empty Cameron Indoor, it doesn't look all that great but when it is full, oh baby!

note: I hate Duke! Love Florida!

greenandgold01
04-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Mizzou State has a very nice facility.

I'd like to see all chair backs, though.

kchats
04-08-2005, 03:45 AM
The upper area is made up of roll away bleachers on each end of the court. The bleachers on the west end have chair backs as do the courtside seats on all sides. The arena is pretty old and the building definitely reminded me of the BSA. If you would be happy with this arena, imagine how happy you will be with a renovated and modernized BSA. Kind of shows that a multipurpose building can have an arena for basketball doesn't it?