PDA

View Full Version : BSA

tony
05-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Scott scanned these in for us (thanks!)

Looks good to me. $8 million can do a lot.

Link to pic of proposed interior (http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/bsa01.JPG)
http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/bsa02.JPG
The pitch that goes with the purdy pictures (http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/text.GIF)

Bisonguy
05-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Very nice!

Are there any pics of the opposite (balcony/pressbox) side?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Looks pretty cool, are there any seats on the ends of the court? Looks really steep. The REA is very steep and I don't really like that, makes you nervous after a few drinks ;D

Paulie
05-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Those are retractable seats, correct? If so, looks pretty sharp.

NDSU_grad
05-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Tony, were these mailed to out Teammakers or something. Or are the plans still kind of hush-hush. I really like the outside of the building. I remember Tim Miles in a post-game interview one time saying all he wanted was a foyer, couldn't he just have a foyer. Pretty funny. It looks like he got what he wanted.

jackrabbit1979
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but does the BSA just have one level of seating?

Only one problem i see with the pics, if you sit in the middle seat of the chairback side, you have to cross about 15 people to go to the boys room, get a soda/beer?, hot dog, etc. *A true fan would only do any of that during halftime/quarter breaks, but there is always someone who make 14 trips per half to the concession and restroom facilities

TheBisonator
05-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Actually, the BSA has two levels of seating on the west side. The upper level there is a fixed grandstand, and is the only part of the arena that doesn't have retractable seats.

And I personally never leave in the middle of a game to get a beer, hot dog or anything.:D

mikelsch
05-18-2005, 09:39 PM
The BSA renovation goal of $8 million is about 40% complete. Plans are to start renovations in the summer of 2006, should be completed in time for the 2006-07 basketball season. The plans aren't public yet, but the NDSU Development Foundation has some of the details. If you want to donate to the BSA, call 231-NDSU. Every little bit helps, please support our athletic programs.

dakotadan
05-18-2005, 10:18 PM
So are they basically keeping the layout the same and just putting in new seating or are they changing things up to increase the capacity much?

jjbluecw
05-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Looks pretty cool, are there any seats on the ends of the court? Looks really steep. The REA is very steep and I don't really like that, makes you nervous after a few drinks ;D

The drinks at the BSA shouldn't really affect your balance.

somebison
05-19-2005, 12:41 AM
oooh I like chairback seating, my old but can't handle bleachers

SDbison
05-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Very nice!

Are there any pics of the opposite (balcony/pressbox) side?
Some other views would be nice. Anyone know when the plan view and other details such as the west side changes will be available?
From the illustration I count about 25 rows on the east side. I believe there are more rows with the current bleachers. I suppose more people will have to sit at the ends unless there will be more seats added to the west side. Also looks like the same roof so the eyesight lines will still be obstructed with those damn pillers on the west side.
Would be nice to get the plans out to the public soon so that the fundraising can really take off. Hard to make a donation for something that is only roughly conceptualized.

Bisonguy
05-19-2005, 12:55 AM
The drinks at the BSA shouldn't really affect your balance. *

Don't underestimate the power of Mountain Dew. *;)

I believe there are more rows with the current bleachers. *I suppose more people will have to sit at the ends unless there will be more seats added to the west side. *Also looks like the same roof so the eyesight lines will still be obstructed with those damn pillers on the west side. *

From the looks of it, the east side seating is being shortened up to just barely past the baseline. Maybe they'll do the same on the west side and avoid the pillars. Here's the current seating chart.:
http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics20/400/QM/QMGRFDTEZCHVFHU.20040827181420.gif

Tatanka
05-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Awesome. Aside from raising the roof about 10 feet and putting in some high-tech lighting, this is about the best that can be done with that building. With the scoreboard that low, though, I'm assuming that they will be continuing to use the BBF for volleyball?

scottheck
05-19-2005, 03:39 AM
The pics are artists renditions from the Development Foundation's Momentum-the $75 Million Campaign for North Dakota State University brochure. It's all that's available for now. If there's more, the Foundation hasn't published it yet.

The numbers that we received this weekend, as of 3/29, showed about $1M of the $8M for the BSA had been raised thus far. The total campaign is at about $50.2M.

The better numbers to call are 800.279.8971 or 231.6848, the Foundation.

Thank you Tony for posting those. Sorry my technology literacy is weak.

kchats
05-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Looks like it will be a great arena for $8 million. Much better than an arena operated by the city. And much better than a bare bones $20 million arena.

They might be able to fill the mid-sized concert venue and make additional revenue for NDSU by hosting the smaller concerts at the remodeled BSA.

Bisonguy
05-20-2005, 06:31 AM
And now the info becomes public from The Forum:

NDSU arena plans are taking shape (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=92623&section=news)

Of special note from the story to 1234, although I don't know if it's a modular system or not:

top-of-the-line renovation would benefit the men's and women's track and field programs. Taylor said a hydraulic track, a system that banks the track's corners, is being considered.

Bisonguy
05-20-2005, 06:33 AM
Oh yeah, there's a pic of the arena that shows up a little better with a slightly wider view than the one posted, and a pic of the locker room in the story, as well.

tophatfan
05-20-2005, 06:41 AM
you have to remember to picture the new floor in there as well

somebison
05-20-2005, 03:57 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/20050520ndsu-gym.jpg

tony
05-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Nice article. I wish they had said how many folks it will seat when all is said and done.

The hydraulic track must be pretty far down on the wish list, but it would be kind of cool.

Although they just redid the weight room - moving it to a ground floor expansion would seem to make darn good sense.

roadwarrior
05-20-2005, 05:21 PM
The picture shows the seats at a much steeper angle than the current east side seats have. That will bring the fans closer to the court and probably give them a little better view. The seatbacks are probably the best improvement. I'm also curious as to how many this setup will seat. The endzone seating sections look to hold more than the current bleachers do. Overall, I think it would be a great setup. Not as nice as a brand new arena, but that might be far down the road.

A lot of the improvements are in the areas away from the arena. Locker rooms, offices, weight room, etc. It will also make the building more appealing to have a decent entrance!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Now I know this is just a mock up, but doesn't it seem weird that the middle section has no break in it and the outside sections, which are very narrow have breaks? *I know you want seats in the middle, but it just seems like that would be a pain to empty out of? *Or why not put the walkways, that now break up the outside sections, on the very outside?

Edited by admin: sorry, I just took out the photo - it's already in the thread and reposting it kind of breaks up stuff.

NDSU_grad
05-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Now I know this is just a mock up, but doesn't it seem weird that the middle section has no break in it and the outside sections, which are very narrow have breaks? *I know you want seats in the middle, but it just seems like that would be a pain to empty out of? *Or why not put the walkways, that now break up the outside sections, on the very outside?

Edited by admin: sorry, I just took out the photo - it's already in the thread and reposting it kind of breaks up stuff.

I didn't notice it until you just posted, but yeah, that is a little odd. Be kind of a pain in the butt to get up for a pop or something and walk through about 20 people.

TheBisonator
05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
There should be one more aisle cutting right through the center. I don't know if they missed that by accident, or did that intentionally.

roadwarrior
05-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I highly doubt the pic is the final setting of the aisles. Lets hope anyway.

kchats
05-21-2005, 03:33 AM
The question should be what do you get for $8 million and what gets added as you move towards the total of $16 million.

JBB
05-21-2005, 01:48 PM
From what I see you have 46 seats/row, 28 in the middle section and 9 on either side. * If you had 3 isles you would have 15 seat sections. *That seems more like my section in the FFD. *I can see why they dont want a wide row in the middle. *Those are the best seats.

Tatanka
05-21-2005, 07:44 PM
From what I see you have 46 seats/row, 28 in the middle section and 9 on either side.
Dude.

Not to be a dink, but I'd bet the person who drew the picture didn't even know these figures. It's much more likely that it's a CONCEPT drawing illustrating the type of seating that may be purchased. Please, let's not try to measure seat counts, width, pitch, etc., until the project moves past the "give us money so we can do something cool like this" stage...

Next we're going to have people wondering who the "athletes" are in the picture of the arena in track mode and why they would be stretching out in that particular location. Is it because the floor is softer there? It's hard to tell from the picture... ::)

Bison101
05-24-2005, 04:18 AM
Glad to see that they are fixing up the BSA. Since I had a look at the other plan that they were working on I was a little disapointed to see they were going with this option. However, it sounds like the 8mill is going to be hard enough to raise as it is so this will be a major challenge. This new BSA will make a great home for Wrestling and Volleball (depending on the roof design) and basketball. However, I would like still like to see NDSU get a legit D1 basketball/Hockey arena out by the dome in the future.

kchats
05-24-2005, 04:33 AM
They are planning on doing the project when they get the $8 million raised but they could do alot more if they raise more. They can go all the way to $16 million which will probably be a bit nicer than the $8 million renovation. It will be a very long time before NDSU builds a new arena after they renovate the BSA. You don't spend $8 million to $16 million for a renovation and then turn around a build a new arena. We have the FargoDome if we are expecting a large crowd and the BSA will more than likely handle the normal crowd for basketball. We don't have hockey and we aren't looking to add hockey so a hockey arena makes absolutely no sense.

TaTonka_31
05-24-2005, 03:02 PM
The goal should be to get the BSA rennovated as soon as possible as the first stage in building a D1 basketball program. As time goes on the people of North Dakota, not just in the Fargo area, will demand a better facility as the only D1 basketball program in the state. As the program becomes competitive and as more high profile teams come to NDSU, the better chance the money will be there for a basketball arena that will be comparable to other arenas in markets similar to Fargo.

There will be a time in the not too distant future where getting tickets to a Bison game at the BSA will be tough to get. Thats when the talk of a new arena will get serious.