PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbits to open season with Illini

89rabbit
03-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Hey guys,

I know this isn't directly Bison related, but I just had to share the news! *;D *It has been talked about for weeks but now it is offical. *SDSU will open the season against Illinois. *Here are highlights from an Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050325/SPORTS/503250340/1002

SDSU to play Illini next season

published: 03/25/05

SDSU to play Illini next season By Chris Solari csolari@argusleader.com

Scott Nagy watched Thursday's NCAA Tournament game between Illinois and Wisconsin-Milwaukee with special interest.

Not just because he grew up in Champaign, Ill., home of the top-ranked Fighting Illini. Nor was it a rooting interest from his time as a graduate assistant at the Big Ten university.

He was preparing for next season's first opponent.

The Jackrabbits will open the 2005-06 season against the Illini on Nov. 18. SDSU signed a one-game contract and will be paid to play at Illinois' Assembly Hall.

"I'm sure it was hard for them to get home games with the year they've had," Nagy said of the Illini, who are now 35-1 after defeating the Panthers on Thursday. "For us, it's a great recruiting tool when we talk to high school kids, and they can say, 'Wow, you're playing Illinois to start the year.'

"If we could play them every year, I'd like to."

Nagy, a 1984 graduate of Centennial High in Champaign, served as an assistant with the Illini in the 1988-89 and '89-90 seasons. His father Dick served as an assistant coach at Illinois for 17 years under Lou Henson and went to the Final Four in 1989.

The Jackrabbits will host Wisconsin-Milwaukee next year at Frost Arena, but the date has yet to be determined. The Panthers defeated SDSU 89-54 on Dec. 1, 2004, in Milwaukee before making a surprising run into the Sweet 16. *. *. *.

SDSU moved to Division I this year and will be required to play a minimum of 23 Division I opponents next season, most of which are already at least tentatively scheduled.

Nagy joked that he hoped a few Illini players would turn pro before next season, namely second-team All-American guard Dee Brown. The veteran SDSU coach surmised that both Illinois and UW-Milwaukee could be ranked in next year's preseason Top 10.

"This is what we want," Nagy said. "We want to play the best people, and we're going to be a lot better next year."

I am now rooting for the Illini to win it all. *It would be great to open the season with the defending National Champions! *8)

Go State! *;D

NDSU4U2NV
03-25-2005, 03:33 PM
How cool is that...good job wabbits!

SU's Rule!

Bisonguy
03-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Best of luck with that game!

I don't really believe in moral victories, but if SDSU can keep it respectable, it would be one IMO.

TheBisonator
03-25-2005, 08:39 PM
I heard about that earlier, and that's awesome!!

We're also playing a current Sweet 16 team next year, Wisconsin.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Found this in the Star Trib today. Maybe you all already knew this about SDSU, but I didn't.

"The Gophers men's basketball team will not only play North Dakota State this season, but South Dakota State has been scheduled for a game at Williams Arena on Dec. 23. The North Dakota State game is scheduled for Nov. 18."

SiouxFallsJack
06-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Found this in the Star Trib today. *Maybe you all already knew this about SDSU, but I didn't.

"The Gophers men's basketball team will not only play North Dakota State this season, but South Dakota State has been scheduled for a game at Williams Arena on Dec. 23. The North Dakota State game is scheduled for Nov. 18."

Was that in the print version or online? I thought the SDSU/Gophers game was on Dec. 22.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-02-2005, 08:15 PM

SiouxFallsJack
06-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks, I'm not a big Minnesota sports fan and overlooked it the first time I read it. *

I just realized that the Bison play the Gophers the same day the Jacks play Illinois. *Who would have thought a few years ago, we would be playing Big Ten teams on the same day. 8)

JACKGUYII
06-02-2005, 08:45 PM
The December 23rd date was reported in Sid Hartman's column so I'm not convinced it's correct based on his reputation for being wrong.

SiouxFallsJack
06-02-2005, 09:45 PM
The December 23rd date was reported in Sid Hartman's column so I'm not convinced it's correct based on his reputation for being wrong.

At least he mentioned the correct sport and schools. ;D

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Do you think Sid is still alive?

It seems like maybe he just wrote a bunch of columns one day and stored them up. Now he is dead and they just reach into a big barrell and pull a random one out. No matter how close to the truth it is they still print it.

That's my hypothesis.

JACKGUYII
06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Maybe Sid is like "Bernie" where he is in fact dead and they just drag him around and prop him up at sporting events.

teamsioux
06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
And have a tape recording of him saying, "my close, personal friend." :D

SiouxFallsJack
06-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Do you think Sid is still alive? *

It seems like maybe he just wrote a bunch of columns one day and stored them up. *Now he is dead and they just reach into a big barrell and pull a random one out. *No matter how close to the truth it is they still print it.

That's my hypothesis.

I guess that would be like, "Tales from the Crypt" ???

JACKGUYII
06-02-2005, 11:08 PM
It is official:

06/02/2005
Jacks To Play Gophers In Men's Basketball
BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State University has signed a four-year contract to play the University of Minnesota in men’s basketball.

All four games will be at Williams Arena on the Minnesota campus, starting next season with a game on Dec. 23 (2005). The teams will meet again on Dec. 21 in 2006 with dates for the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons to be determined.

SDSU and Minnesota have met eight times in men’s basketball, with the most recent game was in 1984.

The Jackrabbits completed their first season in the NCAA Division I transition period with a 10-18 record in 2004-05. The Jackrabbits are playing an independent schedule while they pursue membership in a Division I conference.

Scott Nagy has compiled a 220-77 record in ten seasons as head coach.

Bisonguy
06-02-2005, 11:12 PM
It is official:

06/02/2005
BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State University has signed a four-year contract to play the University of Minnesota in men’s basketball.

All four games will be at Williams Arena on the Minnesota campus, starting next season with a game on Dec. 23 (2005). The teams will meet again on Dec. 21 in 2006 with dates for the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons to be determined.

SDSU and Minnesota have met eight times in men’s basketball, with the most recent game was in 1984.

The Jackrabbits completed their first season in the NCAA Division I transition period with a 10-18 record in 2004-05. The Jackrabbits are playing an independent schedule while they pursue membership in a Division I conference.

How do we know that Sid didn't secretly write that article? ;D

JACKGUYII
06-02-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't think he is writing for GoJacks.com but you never know!

somebison
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
It is official:

06/02/2005

does the article mention the $$$$ they are getting

SiouxFallsJack
06-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Unfortunately no.