PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbit Men to open season with Kentucky

89rabbit
07-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Jackrabbits to open the Season with Kentucky!

It has long been rumored but now we have confermation. As of right now it will be the season opener for both the Jackrabbits and Wildcats.

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=9995&url_channel_id=37

Looks like the Jackrabbits will be invading Rupp Arena!

http://www.ukathletics.com/image_lib/rupp061902.jpg

Rupp Arena (Cap. 23,000)

Go State! ;D

Bisonguy
07-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Nice. ;D

kchats
07-13-2005, 12:53 AM
I thought you were opening the season at Illinois?

MinotBison
07-13-2005, 02:41 AM
What sort of payday are they getting for that? Good luck to the Rabbits. :o :o :o

89rabbit
07-13-2005, 02:58 AM
I thought you were opening the season at Illinois?

We are still playing Illinois.

Most current tentative schedule

2005-2006 SDSU Men's Basketball

Nov 13 @ Kentucky (Guardians Classic)
Nov 14 Wofford/Lipscomb @ Lexigton, KY (Guardians Classic)
Nov 18 @ Illinois *
Nov 24, Southeast Missouri State *
Nov 30, Cal-State Fullerton *
Dec 3, Tennesee State *
Dec 6, Wisconsin-Milwaukee *
Dec 8, @ Nebraska *
Dec 10, Denver *
Dec 12, UMKC *
Dec 20, Manhatten, @ Sioux Falls *
Dec 23,@ Minnesota *
Dec 28, Butler *
Jan 2, @ Montana State *
Jan 7 Utah Valley State *
Jan 14, @NDSU *
Jan 16, SW Minnesota State *
Jan 25, @ Idaho State *
Jan 28, @ Utah State *
Feb 2, @ Utah Valley State *
Feb 6, IPFW *
Feb 11, Texas-Pan American *
Feb 18, NDSU *
Feb 22, @IPFW *
Feb 25, @ Texas-Pan American *
Mar 3, @ San Diego State *
Mar 5, @ Cal State Fullerton *
Plus to be scheduled at Central Florida, and at Marquette. *

Go State!

Go State! *;D

89rabbit
07-13-2005, 05:27 AM
Here is the skinny on the Guardians Classic:

http://www.gazellegroup.com/guardians/

Sixteen teams from 16 conferences face off in the Guardians Classic, college basketball’s most exciting new tournament. Created in 2001 for the National Association of Basketball Coaches, this two-week event tips off across the country with four regional sites each hosting mini-tournaments at the home venues of some of the nation’s highest profile teams. The winner of each regional advances to Kansas City, where three games of the event – the semifinals and championship game – will be nationally televised on ESPN2.

Go State! ;D

IowaBison
07-13-2005, 05:42 AM
all you need to do is upset the wildcats and the rabbits are on espn2.

stranger things have happened.................

89rabbit
07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Highlights from an Argus Leader story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050713/SPORTS0202/507130325/1002/SPORTS

SDSU to play Kentucky

Men's basketball team to open against Wildcats

From staff reports

Published: 07/13/05

In the world of men's college basketball, Kentucky is synonymous with great success.

This November, the South Dakota State men's basketball team charges straight into that history and mystique with a season-opener to remember.

The Jacks will open their second season in Division I on Nov. 13 at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky. They will face the Wildcats, a team that went 28-6 last season, just missing a Final Four berth after a double overtime loss to Michigan State in the Austin Regional final.

"Our players are excited about this," SDSU men's coach Scott Nagy said. "When we told them about the opportunity we had, they were all for it."

However, Nagy isn't sure his team will be entirely ready for what they'll find in Kentucky.

The game is the season-opener for Kentucky as well, and the 23,000-capacity Arena figures to be filled with loud Wildcat fans.

In its first season in Division I, SDSU played strong programs like Marquette and Colorado, but the foray into Lexington will be the Jacks' first game against one of the nation's elite programs.

"I don't know if they understand what it will be like walking in there with 24,000 fans," Nagy said.

"But our basketball team will be a lot better next season. There's that intimidation factor that our kids have to get over."

SDSU's Steve Holdren, who will be a sophomore next season, said he and his teammates will be ready to give Kentucky a game.

"There is no fear in any of us," Holdren said. "We are not scared to play anybody."

The game against Kentucky is the first of two games the Jacks will play in Lexington as part of the Guardians Classic. If the Jacks were to pull the major upset against Kentucky and beat either Wofford (S.C.) or Lipscomb (Tenn.) on Nov. 14, then SDSU could advance to the Guardians Classic final round on Nov. 21-22 in Kansas City, Mo. *. *. *.

Nagy said tough games like Kentucky and the other matchups are what the Jacks need to grow into a solid Division I program.

"That is what kids want to hear when you are in their living rooms," Nagy said.

Nagy said it's possible the Kentucky game will be televised on an ESPN network.

Last season, SDSU's women's basketball team scored its first-ever Division I victory by beating Kentucky last November during the Paradise Jam in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Go State! * ;D

mikelsch
07-13-2005, 04:05 PM
90-50 sounds about right for the final score

WYOBISONMAN
07-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Ya gotta love DI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SiouxFallsJack
07-13-2005, 07:14 PM
90-50 sounds about right for the final score

I know we'll be an improved team next year, but I don't see us winning by 40. :o

Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;)

stevejones
07-14-2005, 04:37 AM
I look for sdsu to beat UK 89-82 and then with their confidence sky high go in to Illinois and spank them 88-69. Look for the jacks to lose their first game at about xmas time. Are they a national contender - NO - are they going to win 20-25 games - Piece of Cake!!

sambini
07-15-2005, 05:06 AM
Great job rabbits what a nice season opener.