PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Con Commissioner Resigns!

IowaBison
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/06-13-05_z1_spor_03.html

what these means for ndsu, i have no idea.

tony
07-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Dunno, but haven't heard anything out of the conference meeting. If they were considering expansion, you'd think we'd have heard something.

IowaBison
07-12-2005, 04:26 PM
me either, i googled it a couple of minutes ago and that was all i came up with.

there was also an interesting titled article also in the post-trib about mid-con membership issues, but the content had already been pulled. as it was from mid-june

89rabbit
07-12-2005, 08:21 PM
The Mid-Con had a press release that talked about expansion (sort of) here is the a link and highlights:

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3147

2005 Mid-Con Presidents Council Meetings conclude in Chicago

CHICAGO, ILL. — The Mid-Continent Conference Presidents Council held its annual summer meeting in Chicago, Ill., Friday. Among the topics of discussion at the Presidents Council meeting were strategic planning, membership issues and NCAA governance issues.

The Presidents Council also awarded the 2006-07 and 2007-08 Mid-Continent Conference Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships to the Tulsa Sports Commission. The events will be held at John Q. Hammons Arena at the UMAC in Tulsa, Okla. “The Tulsa area truly embraced the Mid-Con Basketball Championships last year. The commitment of the Tulsa Sports Commission, the UMAC, local and regional sponsors and the fans made it a great experience for our student-athletes,” Mid-Con Commissioner Ron Bertovich said. “We now have a great foundation to build upon and are pleased to extend this relationship through the 2007-08 Championships.” *. *. *.

From what I have gathered it seems that Bertovich's resignation came as somewhat of a surprise and may have refocused the meeting in new directions. *I would guess that any expansion talks will have to wait until the Mid-Con finds a new Commissioner.

Another story writen today says that the Mid-Con's AD are having a conference call today to talk about the future.

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/07-12-05_z1_spor_06.html

COLLEGE SPORTS: Mid-Con commissioner resigns *
July 12, 2005 *

By Justin Breen / Post-Tribune staff writer

. *. *. *Valparaiso Director of Athletics Mark LaBarbera said the other Mid-Con ADs will have a conference call today to discuss the future of the conference and perhaps suggest possible replacements *. *. *.

Since I don't think the Mid-Con will dissolve over the loss of it's Commissioner one might think that the "future of the conference" might be a reference to membership/expansion.

Go State! *;D

JBB
07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Does anyone think roger thomas might apply for the job?

IowaBison
07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Do anyone think roger thomas might apply for the job?

He just started his new job, I was thinking Terry Wanless.

Bison_Dan
07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Do anyone think roger thomas might apply for the job?

Not unless he can run it from gf!!

Gamehunter
07-12-2005, 11:19 PM
not unless UND can stay DII, yet join the conference and be part of the big dance paycheck.

Bison_Dan
07-13-2005, 01:29 PM
not unless UND can stay DII, yet join the conference and be part of the big dance paycheck.

And only play when they have a good team.

Tatanka
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
And charge $27.50 any time someone popular comes to play in the tin shed.

sambini
07-18-2005, 03:08 AM
I hope this means a pro active position on expansion.