PDA

View Full Version : Recruit News

BisonMav
04-04-2005, 06:22 PM
From the Pioneer Press:
East Grand Forks star shines bright

BY TIM LEIGHTON

Pioneer Press

With seconds remaining until halftime, Nick Mertens quickly shuffled off the basketball court Saturday afternoon at Concordia-St. Paul. Many wondered aloud if the East Grand Forks multisport star had injured himself.

"Nope, I needed a bathroom break,'' the senior said with a chuckle.

In answering nature's call, Mertens nearly missed the curtain call for the final half of his high school basketball career. The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder returned in time to win a three-point shooting contest, and then helped the Maroon team to a 123-98 victory over the Blue in the championship game of the senior all-star series sponsored by the Minnesota Basketball Coaches Association.

Mertens scored 11 points, grabbed 11 rebounds, had three assists, a blocked shot and a steal in 20 minutes of play. Minneapolis Henry's Ross Forman led the Maroon with 19 points, and DeLaSalle's Travis Bledsoe made 6 of 9 three-point attempts en route to 18 points.

While better known for his football heroics, Mertens enjoyed the opportunity to display his basketball talents. He averaged 21.5 points this season and is the school's leading scorer with more than 1,900 points.

"I think most people only know me when I have my helmet and pads on,'' he said. "This was a chance to associate me without (the football equipment).''

Mertens, an all-purpose player for the Green Wave, passed for 2,456 yards and 36 touchdowns and rushed for 20. He led EGF to its first state championship and was selected the state's player of the year by the Associated Press. He has signed to play at North Dakota State.

Mertens, who runs track in the spring, is unsure of NDSU's plans for him.

"Any way they can get me on the field is fine with me,'' he said.

BisonMav
04-04-2005, 06:23 PM
More from the Pioneer Press....

Willmar's Sam Sussenguth scored 19 points and grabbed nine rebounds, and Trinity's Mike Cunningham and Blaine's John Kreklow added 18 each in helping the Green record a 111-104 victory over the Gold in the third-place game.

BisonMav
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM
From Mike Max WCCO:

North Dakota State University basketball coach Tim Miles thinks he got a steal in Willmar recruit Sam Sussenguth, a 6’7” forward who will probably red shirt next year. Albert Lea’s Ben Woodside, a point guard who red shirted this season, was impressive in practice, “he was our best player a lot of days,” Miles said.

D
04-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Here's a lottle update on some players of interest.

Jaml Lott has stated his 3 favorites are Arizona (who has not offerred yet, but may when he visits), USC, and Georgia. His stock has gone through the roof the past month and a half. However, I am of the opinion that if he goes to the Pac-10 or SEC, he will be a bit player a best. He has all kinds of offers now, though. He will be going to a major conference, much to the dismay of UNI, which thought they had a real good chance about 2 months ago. To be honest, I have not seen anything about Minnesota getting involved with him, and I had totally expected that after their defections a few weeks ago, with him being a St Paul kid and all. Disappointing to be honest.

Andre Smith (NDSCS) aparently is liking South Florida and St. Bonniventure (sp??) with no mention of NDSU. There is a premium article over on Rivals.com about Smith and Lott, if anyone else has a subscription over there it can be. It basically talks about South Florida watching them both at practice and Smith having a genuine interest there.

Kyle Prochaska of Iowa Western, who has been talked about, is thinking about Southern Miss, SE Mizzou, and a few other mid-majors. He aparently would love to get an offer from UNI, but that doesn't look like it will happen. UNO is involved with him also, and from those in the know it would not be suprising at all if he ends up there despite offers from a fair amount of D1 schools. He has some issues to deal with that are evidently shying some D1s away.

RedRiver
04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Does anyone know when the spring signing date is for men's and women's basketball? I'm thinking that is may be tommorrow.

BisonMav
04-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know when the spring signing date is for men's and women's basketball? *I'm thinking that is may be tommorrow.
It's tomorrow.

jackrabbit1979
04-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Did the Bison men or women sign anyone yesterday? Or does nobody care?

roadwarrior
04-15-2005, 01:28 AM
Apparently neither Amy or Tim signed any players on wednesday.

kchats
04-15-2005, 04:23 AM
Did the Bison men or women sign anyone yesterday? *Or does nobody care?

What about the Jacks? Did they get some good players?

jackrabbit1979
04-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Jacks men signed two: Cam Hornby from Winnepeg Canada, believe he was discussed over here earlier this year. The other was Mohammed Berte, 6'8, transfer from Indian Hills CC in Iowa. From the sounds of it both will play right away next year, and both of our previous 6'10 kids will redshirt. We also got a verbal from Blake Yackley 6'4 guard/forward from Sully Butte, SD. He was offered at a few d2's but decided to walk on at State as his family has quite a legacy at SDSU. Nagy said they would atleast have one more signing and probably two.

Jack women signed Morgan Meier ,5'10 guard, from Osh Kosh, WI. They had signed four others in November.

NDSU_grad
04-15-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't know about the women, but I don't think the men had very many scholarships to give. And we did sign three high schoolers back in November.

mikelsch
04-15-2005, 04:59 PM
13 is the max and no partials allowed.

2005-2006 scholarships (9): Woodside, Lunde, Moormann, Winkelman, Nelson, Vaughn, Sussenguth, Pennick, Hahn

Unsure about scholarship status: Brown, Gerber, Smith

Walk-on last year: Obadina

NoDakSt
04-15-2005, 05:33 PM
If the women offer everyone on the roster a schollie, we have one left to give.

Sr. - Katie Lorenz, Amanda Giordat
Jr: - Brandee Gibbs, Danni Heintzleman, Kat and Kay Dahlen
So: - Lisa Bue, Brenda Slyt, Liz Preller, Ali Hansen
Fr: - Ali Sonstelie, Dani Ellison, Kelsey Hendrickson

last year w.o. Kayla Hooten.

Women can fund 15 scholarships. Amy mentioned maybe bringing in a couple of post players during SPring which means someone on the team currently would go without.

Bisonguy
04-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Jerry Penley signed with NDSU today.

She is from Ypsilanti, MI, and was also offered byi Wisc.-Green Bay.

scottheck
04-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Men's team has 2 scholarships left. Talked to Miles at length at the Mpls event on Wed. He's keeping something available for late transfers, etc. May offer current players if someone improves.

He was working a couple of KC kids. Don't know any details other than one was being courted by Rice but Rice backed out at the last minute.

NoDakSt
04-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Haven't heard conclusive news that Jerri Penley signed with the Bison, only that it is likely. *The Forum reports that she was being sought after by Oakland (MI). *If she was also being recruited by Wisc. Green Bay that is a good sign as they have a solid program and their coach was going to be introduced as the head coach at Colorado before he turned them down at the last minute. *

I also hope that Amy can get an affirmation from that forward from Regina H.S. in Chicago (Lauren Schober) as she is being recruited by some Division I programs in the Midwest. *

Bisonguy
04-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Haven't heard conclusive news that Jerri Penley signed with the Bison, only that it *is likely. *The Forum reports that she was being sought after by Oakland (MI). *If she was also being recruited by Wisc. Green Bay that is a good sign as they have a solid program and their coach was going to be introduced as the head coach at Colorado before he turned them down at the last minute. *

I also hope that Amy can get an affirmation from that forward from Regina H.S. in Chicago (Lauren Schober) as she is being recruited by some Division I programs in the Midwest. *

Yeah, from The Forum article, Penley eyes Bison (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=89072&section=Sports), it sounds like she hasn't signed yet:

Jerri Penley is from a small school in Michigan who has big plans at North Dakota State. The 6-foot-2 center from Cavalry Christian Academy in Ypsilanti is expected to sign a letter of intent with the Bison women's basketball team early next week

Ruley did state that there would be a signing out of Michigan quite a few months back, though.

NoDakSt
04-17-2005, 04:38 AM
The important thing about signing the Michigan kid is that Amy is really commited to expanding recruiting beyond the tri-state area. That is important as the Bison move to Division I, as Minnesota grabs the top players from the Gopher State and a lot of the ND and SD kids don't participate in national AAU tournaments.

I haven't found much info on this Michigan kid but there is considerable info on Lauren Schober out of Chicago. Two years ago, she played on a team that made it to the consolation game of the Illinois AA championship, losing in a close semifinal game to Candace Parker's team (Parker is the highly regarded player currently at Tennessee who won the McD's dunk contest). Schober played on a team that had a few players go to Division I schools and she was a considerable part of the offense. It would be nice if Ammy could get this kid to sign with NDSU.

D
04-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Mounds View's Travis Busch wins MN Mr. Basketball over Josh Vaughn, amongst others. Kind of surprising being that it was a year where there was no big-time national recruit in the state that the award did not go to a player whose team did not go to the state title game. Congrats to him though.

somebison
04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Penley says she'll play for N. Dakota St (http://www.mlive.com/preps/aanews/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1113921723169820.xml)

IowaBison
04-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Still stunned that we got her.

You beat out a relative local in Oakland and a top 25 team in Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Wow.

Wow.

realisttoo
04-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Green Bay's coach went to Colorado State in the past couple of weeks. Probably had something to do with it.

Bisonguy
04-19-2005, 09:03 PM
I think she decided quite a while back. Ruley stated months ago that she would have a commit from Michigan in the late signing period.

NoDakSt
04-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Actually, Green Bay's Coach is staying put. Just a few hours before the press conference to announce Kevin Borseth's acceptance of the Colorado coaching position, Borseth backed out of the deal and will be staying in GB.

kchats
04-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Green Bay's coach went to Colorado State in the past couple of weeks. *Probably had something to do with it.

I think the fact that Amy Ruley runs a proven program and is a Hall of Fame coach probably has something to do with it. ;D

realisttoo
04-20-2005, 03:08 AM
kchats, why are you so defensive all the time? please relax on occasion so you can maintain some level of objectivity.

kchats
04-20-2005, 03:23 AM
What is defensive about stating Amy Ruley is a great coach? I'm just tired of posters that would think the only reason NDSU can get a recruit is because of turmoil at another school recruiting her. How many 20 win seasonsin a row has she had and you don't think she can out recruit Wisconsin-Green Bay or Oakland? A question for you should be why are you so negative?

IowaBison
04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm surprised that there is a

"Michigan Fundamentalist Baptist Athletic Conference"

somebison
04-21-2005, 12:21 AM
North Dakota State Men’s Basketball Adds Missouri Prep Standout Lorenzo Riley (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=117698)

DIBISON
04-21-2005, 12:38 AM
TV report quoted Miles as saying that Riley will play and contribute right away next year.

Bison_Dan
04-21-2005, 01:30 AM
TV report quoted Miles as saying that Riley will play and contribute right away next year.

Good news for the bb team! ;D ;D

roadwarrior
04-21-2005, 03:36 AM
So now its the Fab 6 ???

tony
04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
If the first DI recruiting class is the "Fab Five", the second one might as well be the "Fantastic Four."

Hehehe, until we see how they play, I think it'd be safer to call them the "Let's-See-How-They-Develop Nine."

SDbison
04-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Good call Tony ++

roadwarrior
04-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Jerri Penley made it official today.

NoDakSt
04-22-2005, 04:56 AM
Lauren Schober signed with Bucknell.

DIBISON
04-29-2005, 12:47 AM
NDSCS - Wahpeton had two players sign DI basketball letters today. J Lott signed with Marquette and M Krause with Illinois St. A third, A Smith will probably go DI also.

RedRiver
04-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Earlier on it was commented that the Bison had an interest in Smith. Not sure if that is mutual or still a possibility. Pretty good that Waph Science has 3 DI basketball recruits. Phil Hahn of the Bison came from there last year.

D
05-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Darren Clarke, a Twin Cities native (Hopkins HS if memory serves) who just completed his SO season at St. Louis and got his release to transfer a few months ago, is considering NDSU along with a few other D1 schools and Mankato. He has not redshirted yet, and is an athletic freak who at this point really struggles with the rest of his game, but he would really benefit from a redshirt year to develop.

BisonMav
05-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Darren Clarke, a Twin Cities native (Hopkins HS if memory serves) who just completed his SO season at St. Louis and got his release to transfer a few months ago, is considering NDSU along with a few other D1 schools and Mankato. *He has not redshirted yet, and is an athletic freak who at this point really struggles with the rest of his game, but he would really benefit from a redshirt year to develop.

I saw Clarke play his Jr year in HS at Hopkins. Hopkins won state with Humphries (Utah Jazz), and Dan Coleman(Minnesota Gophers). I saw he was transferring, but didn't know where. Thanks again for the info D.

D
05-02-2005, 04:53 AM
Also of note.....

Kyle Prochaska of Iowa Western, a name that has been thrown around here for the better part of a year signed with New Mexico earler in the week, a curious move by them beause they also signed a JUCO PF and 2 other JUCo swingmen, but it capped off a fantactic class for New Mexico. Prochaska is much smaller then the ideal PF, but his results cannot be denied.

Andre Smith of NDSCS was all but a done deal to Arkansas St, but at the last minute Arkansas St did something, and Smith changed his mind and is now supposedly wide open. A curious situation. He also needs to pass a few hours this summer to get his degree in order to go D1, so it would not be surprising if his name stays out there for another few months.

Bryan
05-04-2005, 04:08 AM
Darren will visit NDSU, Northern Iowa, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-Green Bay.

NDSU also likes Derek Domino from Spring Lake Park, MN. and Ricky Bastell-Parks from Minneapolis North.

jackrabbit1979
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Just a question for you boys, How many schollies do you have left to give out for MBB? It seems you have a lot of redshirt freshman and freshman coming in.

somebison
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Just a question for you boys, How many schollies do you have left to give out for MBB? *It seems you have a lot of redshirt freshman and freshman coming in.

RedRiver
05-04-2005, 04:44 PM
The Forum reported today that Lorenzo Riley, the most recent signee for the Bison men, had also considered Creighton, Rice, Missouri-Kansas City and SDSU!

mikelsch
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM
One scholarship yet to give out for the men. If a JC comes in, then he will play and hopefully Riley will redshirt. Otherwise too many people coming off scholarship at the same time, and not enough freed up for next couple years' recruiting. I really like the talent that Tim Miles and staff have put together. I ordered my season tickets for next year.

2005-2006 scholarships
Senior (1): Hahn
Freshmen (6): Woodside, Lunde, Moormann, Winkelman, Nelson, Riley
Redshirts (3): Vaughn, Sussenguth, Pennick

Unsure about scholarship status; 2 of these 3 are on scholarship. Anyone know which one isn't?
Juniors (2): Gerber, Smith
Soph (1): Brown

Walk-ons
Soph (1): Obadina
One other player (Gerber, Brown, or Smith)

roadwarrior
05-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Keep in mind that the scholarship count in D-I basketball is based on how many students are receiving ANY scholarship. *Could be 13 full rides for the men or it could be $100 each for the men, and it would count the same. (Although the latter is used just for an example.)

D
05-05-2005, 03:13 AM
It sounds like UW-GB and UNI will not be offerring Darren Clarke a sholarship for the upcoming season, hoping he comes in, walks-on for a year and earns one from there. UW-Milwaukee is aparently scrambling for players after Bruce Pearl left for Tenn, the school let some of his recruits out of their LOIs, so they have schollies. It appears that NDSU would have a fairly good shot at landing him. Not that it really matters much, but former UND PG and NDSU assistant Ben Jacobson was in Williston the other day looking at 6-10 JR-to-be Brian Quale.

somebison
06-28-2005, 04:29 PM
look for NDSU to add a 6-8 JC forward in the near future.

tony
07-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, I'm guessing you are talking about Andre Smith?

He is not St. Bonaventure anymore (http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/070105aac.html), but it doesn't say where he decided to go - just that it's closer to his hometown (St. Paul).

somebison
07-06-2005, 02:32 AM
yup, they can't announce it until he enrolls in the fall since the period to sign NLI's is over.

stater
07-06-2005, 05:22 AM
yup, they can't announce it until he enrolls in the fall since the period to sign NLI's is over.

No offense Hansel, but that doesn't make any sense. Why would St. Bonaventure be able to sign a JUCO to replace him and announce it, but NDSU wouldn't be able to announce that he was going to play there on the same day? He wasn't an actual player at st. Bonav. yet, so in the NCAA's eyes hes just another JUCO transfer. Please don't berate me about this if I'm wrong, just doesn't make any sense to me at first glance.

Also, not to be negative, but what are the chances hes going to show up this fall? According to this board he's already dumped two scholarship offers (and commitments) in the the last three months. Why is NDSU going to be any different, and why is he even coming here in the first place? He just turned down two tournament eligible schools, after committing to them, so that he play at NDSU? Miles is a great recruiter, but we're not exactly an ACC school right now. Something doesn't add up to me about this whole situation.

tony
07-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Science standout rethinks, picks Bison By Jeff Kolpack (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=97005&section=Sports)

Kolpack kind of explains why NDSU can't talk about Smith. NDSU can't talk about Smith until he signs a national letter of intent. He must not have signed one yet... there are only certain times of the year you can.

As for St. Bonaventure, their new transfer must have signed an NLI earlier in one of the designated signing periods.

I don't know if he will show up, but I'd say it's pretty likely.

kchats
07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
One of his former assistants is also now an assistant at NDSU which is also helpful.

JACKGUYII
07-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Coach Miles and his staff have done a very nice job *recruiting since the move to DI. It will be interesting to see how this team performs on the court. How will the Jacks and Bison *match up from a talent perspective. I had hoped the Jacks would have gotten the Riley kid from Missouri who committed to NDSU. The top AAU team in South Dakota (Dakota Schoolers) just went 6-0 in their own tournament beating teams from Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska. The scouting services indicate the Bison and Jacks have interest in Sioux Falls Roosevelt's 6'7 forward Anthony Cordova. I'm sure the Bison are also interested in arguably the best player in South Dakota Pierre's 6'7 Michael Tveidt.

RedRiver
07-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Smith is exactly the right fit for Bison basketball. Now they will have a veteran inside player that can score and rebound. He will compliment the redshirt freshman.

mikelsch
07-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Bison Roster for 2005-2006 season

Senior (1 scholarship): Hahn
Juniors (2 scholarships): Andre Smith, Brandon Smith, Gerber (non-scholarship)
Sophomores (1 scholarship): Brown, Obadina (non-scholarship)
Freshmen (6 scholarships): Woodside, Lunde, Moormann, Winkelman, Nelson, Riley
Redshirts (3 scholarships): Vaughn, Sussenguth, Pennick

I hope this core group of players works out because having only one senior means that only one scholarship may be offered for the following season. Only two scholarships the season after that, and only one again the following season. Maybe Riley will redshirt to help even out the freshmen.

BISON_PRIDE
07-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Can you project a starting line-up from that list? Will we compete with the Oaklands and Manhattens this year?

mikelsch
07-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Starters
Guards: Hahn, Woodside
Forwards: Andre Smith, Winkelman, Moormann

Reserves
Guards: Nelson, Brandon Smith, Gerber
Forwards: Lunde, Riley, Obadina, Brown

We should be more competitive and exciting to watch this year. Young team with more talent and depth. Inexperience will show early on, but team will improve a lot over the season. Miles does a great job at getting players to buy into his system.

Team is built around tough defense and shooting. Players rotate in and out quite a bit. Team lacks inside presence on offensive and defensive ends. Should be focus of future recruiting.

JACKGUYII
07-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I think the Bison and Jacks will have a lot of the same issues in their second year (young and lack of inside game). The Jacks should have the edge if Matt Jones returns from his severe bout with Mono. Nagy calls him the best player he has ever coached. I wonder if Vaughan and Riley will be redshirted or play immediately.

NDSU_grad
07-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Here's how I see the starting lineup (merely an educated guess). I think we'll go small:

Three guards: Woodside, Hahn, Nelson
Two forwards: Riley, Smith

BisonMav
07-08-2005, 11:25 PM
I'd probably go with:

Woodside & Nelson at Guard
Winkleman, Lunde and Smith

Hahn, Riley, Moorman, Smith off the bench first

Bryan
07-09-2005, 02:19 AM
MN Center Dan Vandervieren Sees Stock Rise By Chris Monter
Date: Jul 7, 2005

Dan Vandervieren, a 6-foot-10 center from Minnetonka (MN) Hopkins, has seen his stock rise in the past few months as his body fat has dropped. Vandervieren helped lead the Royals to a 30-1 mark and the Minnesota Class AAAA championship as a junior coming off the bench behind Arden Skoglund, who signed with Valparaiso. He shined as a member of the Minnesota Select AAU team in the Kingwood Classic and played well at the Minnesota Gopher team camp before suffering an ankle injury.

Dan Vandervieren has already received scholarship offers from Montana, North Dakota State and Buffalo, but look for that list to grow as he played in front of many mid major coaches Wednesday at the Hoosier Shootout in Indianapolis, including Minnesota assistant Bill Walker.

The Gophers watched him closely at their team camp and came away very impressed with his inside scoring, shotblocking and passing skills and his improved body.

Rest of the story.
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=393499

DIBISON
07-09-2005, 05:34 AM
My guess at starters by position:
1) Hahn, 2) Woodside, 3) Winkleman, 4) Smith and 5)Brown.

I guess we'll see when the Bison open against the Gophers in Williams Arena on November 18th. Talk about big-time!

roadwarrior
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
My guess is that Nelson will be starting over Hahn, otherwise like the lineup DIBISON posted.

D
07-17-2005, 03:47 AM
Some names on the Bison radar, in fact all have offers....Andy Polka of Oshkosh, WI, Adam Koch of Ashwaubenon, WI, Dan Vandwevieran of Hopkins, Cameron Rundles of De Lasalle, Mike Lochner of Maple Grove, and Ricky Batsell-Parks of Minneapolis North.

BisonMav
07-17-2005, 04:45 AM
Smith is exactly the right fit for Bison basketball. *Now they will have a veteran inside player that can score and rebound. *He will compliment the redshirt freshman.

Talked to a friend today, who's son was a high school classmate of Smith's. Had nothing but good things to say about Smith.

Bison_Kent
07-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Here is the NDSU release on Andre Smith.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=157509

I didn't realize that Brandon Smith transferred to Division II Cameron (OK).

silkamilkamonico
07-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Here is the NDSU release on Andre Smith.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=157509

I didn't realize that Brandon Smith transferred to Division II Cameron (OK). *

I'm always following NDSU news, and they never announce when someone transfers.

You go see the first couple games of the season and it's like, "where is so and so and why isn't he sitting on the bench".

I always ask that Jack announcer at the basketball games. He always seems to know what's going on.....

mikelsch
07-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Excerpts from Jeff Kolpack's Forum article today: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=98246

...It was a nice gift for NDSU, which will be inexperienced at virtually every position. The two inside spots will be a battle between Smith, redshirt freshmen Lucas Moorman and Tom Lunde, sophomore Andrew Brown and true freshman Lorenzo Riley.

Five players will handle the perimeter: redshirt freshmen Ben Woodside, Mike Nelson and Brett Winkelman, sophomore Dotun Obadina and senior Phil Hahn.

Hahn, Brown and Obadina are the only returning players from a year ago. Guard Brandon Smith transferred to Cameron College (Okla.) and guard Matt Gerber decided to concentrate on school.

Incoming freshmen Austin Pennick, Sam Sussenguth and Josh Vaughan will redshirt.

Asked if 10 players are enough, Miles said: "We'll find out. It's the long-term plan we put together two years ago and we figure it's necessary to get to where we need to be."