PDA

View Full Version : Men's Roster is Up

mikelsch
08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11901&SPID=697&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&SORT_ORDER=5&Q_SEASON=2005

Guards
33 Hahn, Phil G 5-11 152 Sr. Toronto, Ontario
10 Woodside, Ben G 5-11 168 RFr. Albert Lea, Minn.
31 Nelson, Mike G 6-2 167 RFr. Madison, Wis.

Forwards
44 Smith, Andre F 6-7 215 Jr. St. Paul, Minn.
30 Obadina, Dotun F 6-0 190 So. Austin, Texas
40 Moormann, Lucas F 6-9 216 RFr. Dickinson, N.D.
42 Lunde, Tom F 6-8 208 RFr. Ulen, Minn.
22 Winkelman, Brett F 6-5 192 RFr. Morris, Minn.
20 Riley, Lorenzo F 6-6 Fr. Platte City, Mo.

Center
50 Brown, Andrew C 6-7 229 So. Dickinson, N.D.

Redshirts
21 Pennick, Austin G 6-3 185 Fr. Fargo, N.D.
32 Vaughan, Josh G 6-4 Fr. Braham, Minn.
34 Sussenguth, Sam F 6-8 210 Fr. Willmar, Minn.

kchats
08-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Very young team. Let's hope they are athletic and can play.

stater
08-12-2005, 02:17 AM
WOW. I don't know what to say... suffice it to say that next years season is not going to be pretty. 1 player with two year of significant experience in a bison uniform, and three players total with ANY collegiate experience. I have to ask why there weren't more JUCO players signed to the team. We have 1 scholarship for next season? We haven't seen any of these guys play, but we're stuck with them for the next 4 years? We don't even have a true center on the team right now. I don't care how athletic these guys are, there's a big learning curve in D-I ball, and next year is going to be the first season of learning for most of them.

roadwarrior
08-12-2005, 02:31 AM
You sound surprised stater! *I dont think many Bison basketball fans are at all surprised at this roster, in fact a lot of us have known for a long time that the upcoming season is going to be loaded with young guys. *I'm not going to say that the season is not going to be very difficult for these guys, but Miles is building a new D-I team basically from scratch. *Lets get out to the BSA for the games this season and cheer these guys on to some victories. I think it will be fun and entertaining watching them compete against 9 D-I teams at the BSA.

coloradobison
08-12-2005, 02:41 AM
Agreed!! Go Kids

stater
08-12-2005, 03:02 AM
I guess I didn't relalize how many guys from last years squad we lost. I know that building a D-I squad from a D-II team isn't easy, but I question whether investing our scholarships in highschool players this early in the transistion was a wise move. Couldn't we have just gotten 3 or 4 juco's to get us through the transition competitively, and then, when we are closer to conference affiliation, being eligible for post season play etc., invest in highschool players, who will likely be at a higher talent level (Not to knock the current players). It seems this is more throwing the team to the wolves, and will likely lead to defections. If we had two or three more Andre Smiths coming in to complement our young players, and then graduate, so we can fill our unforeseen needs, I would be much more optimistic about our future. It just seems like a bad idea to have 9 of 13 scholarships concentrated in two classes, but I'm by no means a basketball expert.

coloradobison
08-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Perhaps the level of athlete that was available for transfer, wasnt up to what was needed. These kids should be at least exciting to watch. They will have problems to start, but they will improve, they knew coming in what it was going to take. And they all want a chance to play in the postseason their senior years, and they all want to do it here, they all had chances to go elsewhere.

BisonMav
08-12-2005, 03:36 AM
How many of the 9 will be here in 4 years. *Injury, early graduation, transfers, playing time, anything can happen. *This group of Freshmen fared very well against last years team in scrimmages. *It may have been like a DI team vs a DII team, but who knows. *;)

roadwarrior
08-12-2005, 05:04 AM
I'm very confident that the team will be better than last year's team despite the lack of experience. And the guys last year came close to winning against a D-I opponent three or four times.

This years freshmen will be eligible for post season play when they are seniors, and they are eligible for the NIT this year.

coloradobison
08-12-2005, 06:58 AM
NIT gives them a little more to play for anyways.

JACKGUYII
08-12-2005, 08:34 PM
The Jacks will also be young. I think the two schools are going about it the right way by bringing in the best high school talent available and then redshirting them. It might not have immediate results, but over the long haul may be the best approach. I would be glad that both schools lost many of their upperclassman as many of the younger players while lacking experience make up for it by having more talent than those who departed. The jacks added an experienced point guard and forward from the Juco ranks. If Matt Jones is able to return we will be much better than last year.

Rabbitlivinginverm
08-13-2005, 02:47 PM
If Matt Jones is able to return we will be much better than last year.

It's important to note that this is just purely hopeful speculation by Jacks fans. Matt has been playing baseball and I believe taking part in summer scrimmages with the team but that's a long way from playing 40 minutes (or even 20) with the Jacks.

scottheck
08-17-2005, 04:40 AM
Perhaps the level of athlete that was available for transfer, wasnt up to what was needed.
Talking to Miles at last April's Twin Cities Alumni event, he said he wasn't finding quality JUCO players that he was willing to spend a scholarship on.

WYOBISONMAN
08-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like we could use a little more height??

kchats
08-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't know when the last time NDSU had a player 6'-10" or taller.

mikelsch
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Finding skilled big men is challenging at every level. NDSU will need to consistently find a couple to be a legitimate competitor in DI ball.

stater
08-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Talking to Miles at last April's Twin Cities Alumni event, he said he wasn't finding quality JUCO players that he was willing to spend a scholarship on.

Thats a rosy, but incorrect view of why there are no JUCO for next year. It would be more accurate to say "Talking to Miles at last April's Twin Cities Alumni event, he said he wasn't finding quality JUCO players that he was willing to spend a scholarship on that are willing to come to NDSU". They are plenty of talented JUCO's around. SDSU signed two this season. We need to get moving on the BSA renovations, right now we are asking miles to recruit with one hand tied behind his back.

BisonMav
08-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Thats a rosy, but incorrect view of why there are no JUCO for next year. *It would be more accurate to say *"Talking to Miles at last April's Twin Cities Alumni event, he said he wasn't finding quality JUCO players that he was willing to spend a scholarship on that are willing to come to NDSU". *They are plenty of talented JUCO's around. *SDSU signed two this season. * We need to get moving on the BSA renovations, right now we are asking miles to recruit with one hand tied behind his back. *

The Bison signed a JUCO, and Smith isn't exactly chopped liver.

stater
08-18-2005, 01:36 AM
I was responding to the comment that there were no quality JUCO players around, which was rediculous.