PDA

View Full Version : D-I Basketball Map

89rabbit
08-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Filbert has created a map of all D-I Basketball schools that is pretty cool, if you like maps which I do. Here is the link:

http://www.medary.com/staticpages/index.php/20050811151846815

Go State! ;D

filbert
08-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Geez, 89, I stop for a spot of lunch and you've already posted the thing over here!

(Thanks)

The link for the entire Conference Map Project is HERE (http://www.medary.com/staticpages/index.php/2005041111400339).

89rabbit
08-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Wife is putting in a little OT at work, kids are napping and football season hasn't started yet. What is a guy to do. ;) ;D

Go State! ;D

TheBisonator
08-13-2005, 09:48 PM
The really weird thing is that Minnesota is by far the largest state in the US that only has one DI basketball team. Maine, Vermont, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota all only have one DI basketball team in them. Of course Alaska has none. You'd think that with a state the size of Minnesota, there'd be at the very least 3 or 4.

JACKGUYII
08-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Interesting enough I think UM Duluth might have the most interest in moving up to DI athletics to join there DI Hockey program. At St Cloud and Mankato fielding a DI Hockey program has come at the expense of not being very good at anything else. I also think one of the private institutions in the Twin City metro area might emerge as a contender as they have plenty of money and a huge market for athletes and program growth.

filbert
08-13-2005, 10:53 PM
The really weird thing is that Minnesota is by far the largest state in the US that only has one DI basketball team. Maine, Vermont, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota all only have one DI basketball team in them. Of course Alaska has none. You'd think that with a state the size of Minnesota, there'd be at the very least 3 or 4.

If you divide the US population of 281 million by the 330 or so D-I basketball programs, you get an average of 1 D-I school per 851,000 people.

Minnesota has 5.1 million, so they should have five or six D-I programs, not counting NDSU and SDSU right there on the western border.

TheBisonator
08-14-2005, 12:16 AM
If you divide the US population of 281 million by the 330 or so D-I basketball programs, you get an average of 1 D-I school per 851,000 people.

Minnesota has 5.1 million, so they should have five or six D-I programs, not counting NDSU and SDSU right there on the western border.

Exactly. I mean, Minnesota has 5.1 million people and they only have one DI school. It's very unusual and weird, and I don't know how that affects Minnesota's reputation as a sporting state to the rest of the US.

Gamehunter
08-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Minnesota is not only the largest state with only 1 D-1 school, but UM is also THE largest campus in the US to my knowledge. That could play a part. It takes what?.....4 NDSU's to equal 1 UM.

SDbison
08-14-2005, 03:03 AM
It is a good thing that Minnesota only has one DI school. That means SDSU and NDSU can take advantage of the large geographic area for recruiting. ;D

filbert
08-16-2005, 12:20 AM
It is a good thing that Minnesota only has one DI school. That means SDSU and NDSU can take advantage of the large geographic area for recruiting. ;D

I don't think that SDSU has done a lot of men's basketball recruiting (at least, successful recruiting) in Minnesota until recently. Most of our out-state players seem to come from Iowa and Illinois. This appears to be changing, however, as we start going after that "surplus" of D-I talent in Minnesota.

JBB
08-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Nice site, great maps.

The Missouri Valley is the most geographically compatible conference out there. Add IPFW, SDSU and NDSU and you have a nice 12 team league.

Rodentia
08-16-2005, 09:22 PM
The University of Minnesota may well be the largest campus in the country, I haven't checked lately. Which school is largest changes now and then, but it is a huge campus. I think that Duluth probably could make the move to D-I. But I think that a lot of people in Minnesota are used to the idea that D-I = enourmous campus, but that is only true in Minnesota.

I don't know if I can see any of the Twin Cities private colleges moving up to D-I. Most of them are D-III private colleges. Concordia St. Paul is an exception, playing in D-II, but I don't know if they could move to D-I.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Not to get nit picky, but isn't Texas and The Ohio State University bigger? *I thought Texas was usually the biggest in the country followed by OSU. *I don't remember Minnesota being the biggest recently.

Bisonguy
08-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Not to get nit picky, but isn't Texas and The Ohio State University bigger? *I thought Texas was usually the biggest in the country followed by OSU. *I don't remember Minnesota being the biggest recently.

Largest in square footage (or miles, or yards, or kilometers, etc.). Yes, both Texas and The Ohio State Univesity have more students thatn Minnesota (especially full-time undergrads).

IowaBison
08-17-2005, 09:14 PM
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/paper410/news/2004/10/13/TopStories/Ut.Loses.Title.Of.Largest.U.University-751464.shtml

Bisonguy
08-17-2005, 09:21 PM
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/paper410/news/2004/10/13/TopStories/Ut.Loses.Title.Of.Largest.U.University-751464.shtml

Neato. I was just looking at the 2003-04 numbers. :-/

I had heard previously that Minnesota was the largest campus in terms of area.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Cool, thanks for the numbers. Man that's crazy, 50,000 kids. Would be fun.