PDA

View Full Version : NDSU recruiting UND committee

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
NDSU's basketball coaches have contacted Jossy Bergan who has already verbally committed to UND. The Bison's star recruit has left campus and headed back to Wisco. due to homesickness. I can't believe that Amy and the staff would try to get Jossy out of her committment to UND. Although it is legal, it is not the right thing to do.

I hope that this sort of thing never happens again, and I hope that Amy is called out for this.

I'm not trying to post smack, but this is pretty ugly. I would think most of you would agree that this sort of thing should not be happening.

BisonMav
09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
It happened with Rick Rickert!

The news of her commitment came out 9/22, today is 9/26. Did she call Amy to say she was going to commit, and Amy offered her a scholarship? What are the facts?

Tatanka
09-27-2005, 12:03 AM
NDSU's basketball coaches have contacted Jossy Bergan who has already verbally committed to UND. *The Bison's star recruit has left campus and headed back to Wisco. due to homesickness. *I can't believe that Amy and the staff would try to get Jossy out of her committment to UND. *Although it is legal, it is not the right thing to do.

I hope that this sort of thing never happens again, and I hope that Amy is called out for this. *

I'm not trying to post smack, but this is pretty ugly. I would think most of you would agree that this sort of thing should not be happening.
I agree that this is a stinky situation, and I'm interested in hearing what the facts are. If NDSU is trying to weasel a recruit, and that's a big IF at this point, then I share your contempt for our actions.

oldschool
09-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Jossy verbally committed end of July early August. She hadn't heard a thing from SU throughout this process other than a letter. No phone call or talk from Amy at all. Lets not be ignorant. I know for a fact they knew when they called on Sunday night. The used the old "if you want to play D1" to try and get her. Jossy is not leaving, and it's to bad the Bison were to big time from the start. Her brother is on the cross country team at SU, but your mistake Amy and now it will cost you.

sambini
09-27-2005, 02:44 AM
Give Amy a call about it? It happens all the time in the recruiting battles. By the way her brother is also a mid distance runner on the track team. A very good one who knew where to go for the best track coaching around in Don Larson.. Get the facts on this and remember Rick Richert committed to ARIZONA and ended up at MINNESOTA...

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Give Amy a call about it? It happens all the time in the recruiting battles. By the way her brother is also a mid distance runner on the track team. A very good one who knew where to go for the *best track coaching around in Don Larson.. Get the facts on this and remember Rick Richert committed to ARIZONA and ended up at MINNESOTA...

I don't think the old, "well they did it so we should to" should work here. Besides, Rickert's parents wanted him to go to Minnesota rather then 'Zona. I'm guessing Amy knew that Jossy had committed, otherwise she is not very "in" with the basketball crowd in ND.

I'm not saying that there is any violation, but as a coach you should always honor others' verbal cimmittments and stay away. Plus she used the, "if you want to play D-1" and they offered her the farm. Pretty sneaky Amy, I hope you get called out on this.

Bisonguy
09-27-2005, 03:00 AM
Heck, maybe her brother asked Ruley to call her up.

Unless anyone on here has listened to the alleged phone call, they don't know what really happened (if anything).

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 03:10 AM

Unless anyone on here has listened to the alleged phone call, they don't know what really happened (if anything).

Didn't listen to the phone call itself, but I will gaurantee you that she made the call. And her brother DID NOT ask Amy to make the call.

Pretty low

NoDakSt
09-27-2005, 05:05 AM
Any word to the rumor that Hendrickson left the team?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Any word to the rumor that Hendrickson left the team?

Yes. She was homesick and dropped out of school to return home to Wisconsin. That's too bad it happened this late, but you don't want an athlete there that doesn't want to be there.

BisonMav
09-27-2005, 01:09 PM

We don't need no stinkin' facts
http://www.fightingsioux.com/photos/1507.jpg

RedRiver
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Why the whining? Nothing is official until a student-athlete signs an NCAA national letter of intent. Doesn't the prospective student still have the final decision in the recruiting process?

GCWaters
09-27-2005, 04:49 PM
NCAA rules on potential recruits stop just short of telling them how many times they have to chew their food on campus visits...if this was a big deal, there's be a rule against it....

BisonMav
09-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Didn't listen to the phone call itself, but I will gaurantee you that she made the call. *And her brother DID NOT ask Amy to make the call.

Pretty low

The same thing was being said about a certain hockey coach in this link :o

USCHO Messages (http://board.uscho.com/archive/index.php/t-38588-p-15.html)

mikelsch
09-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Recruiting is cut throat and nothing is final until the student signs the letter. It is not uncommon for athletes to back out on verbals.

This kid in question is probably good, but NDSU has bigger problems if we are still recruiting primarily the same athletes as the fighting sux. I hope all the Bison coaches realize that fact.

tony
09-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Holy cow, so many UND fans know about this alleged phone call that I figure they must still use party lines up in UND-land :)

Anyway, it is funny that the Gossipping Girls of Sue U are complaining about this when the only way they could possibly know for sure is by violating NCAA regulations.

Edit: *This seems like a good time to point out that no NDSU fans should be having any conversations with potential recruits that go beyond "Hello" and "Goodbye". Talking to a prospect or their families about their recruiting is a serious violation of NCAA rules when you are a booster of a university interested in them. Don't do it.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Holy cow, so many UND fans know about this alleged phone call that I figure they must still use party lines up in UND-land :)

Anyway, it is funny that the Gossipping Girls of Sue U are complaining about this when the only way they could possibly know for sure is by violating NCAA regulations.

Edit: *This seems like a good time to point out that no NDSU fans should be having any conversations with potential recruits that go beyond "Hello" and "Goodbye". Talking to a prospect or their families about their recruiting is a serious violation of NCAA rules when you are a booster of a university interested in them. Don't do it.

So can a friend talk to a friend? Can family members talk to one another?

Tony, I see were you are coming from, that if all those who said they have heard it to be true were boosters and had talked to the recruit one-on-one then there would be a violation in there. But, I'm guessing that the recruit herself talked to no one (except Amy :-X )

No one is saying that Amy is breaking violations, but this is just something you don't do. Especially after she hadn't contacted her more then just a letter. Now they offer her the farm? Come on.

I hope Amy is asked about this in the media. Just to see what she comes up with. I don't think most would side with her if she pulled out the "Minnesota did it..." argument.

If the shoe was on the other foot, Bison fans would be crying foul. I've never had anything less then respect for Amy Ruley, but that is gone now!

NoDakSt
09-27-2005, 07:42 PM
"I hope Amy is asked about this in the media. Just to see what she comes up with. I don't think most would side with her if she pulled out the "Minnesota did it..." argument. "

Amy can't comment on recruiting specifics until after the November signing date.

RedRiver
09-27-2005, 07:47 PM
You say if the shoe were on the other foot, Bison fans would be crying foul!! I doubt it.

This is another example of why NDSU is DI and und is stuck at DII. Crying and whining over nothing!!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 07:59 PM
You say if the shoe were on the other foot, Bison fans would be crying foul!! *I doubt it.

This is another example of why NDSU is DI and und is stuck at DII. *Crying and whining over nothing!!

You're kidding right?

Everything UND does Bison fans get up in arms on this site.

Most UND fans don't talk much about the Bison, that is until they pull crap like this.

I also find it funny that NDSU is offering her the farm. Why would Amy try to get sneaky and steal a lowly D-II recruit by offering her everything? Come on.

Classless.

GCWaters
09-27-2005, 08:19 PM
You're kidding right?

Most UND fans don't talk much about the Bison, that is until they pull crap like this.

I also find it funny that NDSU is offering her the farm. Why would Amy try to get sneaky and steal a lowly D-II recruit by offering her everything? Come on.

Classless.

Two comments...(1) Don't you think that the story may be distorted a bit? Why would she offer the farm? Maybe it's being told better than it actually happened.

(2) How can she offer the farm? I thought UND owned it, NDSU only worked on it ;D

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Two comments...(1) Don't you think that the story may be distorted a bit? *Why would she offer the farm? *Maybe it's being told better than it actually happened.

(2) *How can she offer the farm? I thought UND owned it, NDSU only worked on it ;D

Haha, I like #2. But, the story is not being distorted. I think it may be getting blown out of proportion a bit, but the story is true. I'm not saying Ruley should be fired or anything, just that she should be asked about it in the media. If she can't talk about it until November, then she should be asked about it then.

I just don't like how many NDSU fans are trying to point the finger at UND now, claiming violations. Fact is Amy screwed up, showed little class and lost a lot of respect from people.

BisonMav
09-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Haha, I like #2. *But, the story is not being distorted. *I think it may be getting blown out of proportion a bit, but the story is true. *I'm not saying Ruley should be fired or anything, just that she should be asked about it in the media. *If she can't talk about it until November, then she should be asked about it then.

I just don't like how many NDSU fans are trying to point the finger at UND now, claiming violations. *Fact is Amy screwed up, showed little class and lost a lot of respect from people.

Still a rumor until you can prove it! We don't know if Amy knew about the commitment, we don't know if it was Amy, we don't know what was said if it happened, etc........ Too much gray area!

GCWaters
09-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Haha, I like #2. But, the story is not being distorted. I think it may be getting blown out of proportion a bit, but the story is true. I'm not saying Ruley should be fired or anything, just that she should be asked about it in the media. If she can't talk about it until November, then she should be asked about it then.

I just don't like how many NDSU fans are trying to point the finger at UND now, claiming violations. Fact is Amy screwed up, showed little class and lost a lot of respect from people.

Well, it seems pretty clear that UND didn't violate anything, but it also seems pretty clear that Amy didn't either. She "screwed up" by doing somethign you don't like, but that is completely ok under current NCAA rules. I'm sorry, but that's like getting p***ed off at the democrats for fillibustering Bush's nominees; it may make you mad, but it's clearly within the rules of play.

IowaBison
09-27-2005, 08:50 PM
I just don't like how many NDSU fans are trying to point the finger at UND now, claiming violations.

I think there are a few Sioux Boosters who have learned a lot about what they can and cannot do regarding recruits in the last few hours.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Well, it seems pretty clear that UND didn't violate anything, but it also seems pretty clear that Amy didn't either. *She "screwed up" by doing somethign you don't like, but that is completely ok under current NCAA rules. *I'm sorry, but that's like getting p***ed off at the democrats for fillibustering Bush's nominees; it may make you mad, but it's clearly within the rules of play.

Like I've said so many times. It was not a violation, just a lack of class. She must be squirming now that her prize recruit got homesick.

Also, very coincidental that the day the story of the signing was in the Forum was the day she called.

IowaBison
09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Like I've said so many times. *It was not a violation, just a lack of class. *She must be squirming now that her prize recruit got homesick. *

Also, very coincidental that the day the story of the signing was in the Forum was the day she called.

Yeah, I'm sure Ruley is as scared as you are excited ;)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 09:05 PM
I think there are a few Sioux Boosters who have learned a lot about what they can and cannot do regarding recruits in the last few hours.

Yeah, I was also surprised by the lack of knowledge about what a booster can and cannot do. I guess UND hasn't had to deal with the problem in the past.

IowaBison
09-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I was also surprised by the lack of knowledge about what a booster can and cannot do. *I guess UND hasn't had to deal with the problem in the past.

That whole issue scares the heck out of me as a booster and I believe that anyone who follows college athletics should spend some time getting up to date on the issues.

I've made it a rule not to talk to anyone between the ages of 14 and 20 about anything. ;)

MN_BISONS
09-27-2005, 09:14 PM
You're kidding right?

I also find it funny that NDSU is offering her the farm. *Why would Amy try to get sneaky and steal a lowly D-II recruit by offering her everything? *Come on.

Classless.

It is my understanding that in DI, all you can offer is a full ride, so you might want to check the offering her the farm arguement at the door.

89rabbit
09-27-2005, 09:35 PM
NCAA Rules allow for 15 Scholarships for D-I Women's Basketball, the team size is also 15 so yes at the D-I level to offer a Women's Basketball Scholarship is to offer a full ride.

Go State! ;D

kchats
09-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Does any of this matter if the recruit stays at UND? It all comes down to the integrity of the player. Is this recruit the 5'-6" guard?

When I was working in Indiana we had hired a young engineer from Purdue to work in my department. He had agreed to our job offer and signed the letter accepting the position. I called him two weeks before he was to start working for me to see if he needed anything with his move to the area and he told me that he had accepted a position at another company in Florida. He didn't even call to let us know he had changed his mind. If he had any integrity he would have showed up at our company instead of heading to Florida. I later heard that he only stayed in Florida for less than a year and was out of engineering altogether upon returning to Indiana.

Happens everywhere. Recruiters are always calling and offering employees higher paying jobs with better companies. It is a part of life. If UND wants to be able to compete with a scholarship offer from NDSU they might want to move up to division I.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 11:46 PM
It is my understanding that in DI, all you can offer is a full ride, so you might want to check the offering her the farm arguement at the door. *

In D-I you can also pay for the athletes books, which you cannot in D-II.

As for the farm, she probably wouldn't want it anyway.

No violations, just classless.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Does any of this matter if the recruit stays at UND? *It all comes down to the integrity of the player. *Is this recruit the 5'-6" guard?

When I was working in Indiana we had hired a young engineer from Purdue to work in my department. *He had agreed to our job offer and signed the letter accepting the position. *I called him two weeks before he was to start working for me to see if he needed anything with his move to the area and he told me that he had accepted a position at another company in Florida. *He didn't even call to let us know he had changed his mind. *If he had any integrity he would have showed up at our company instead of heading to Florida. *I later heard that he only stayed in Florida for less than a year and was out of engineering altogether upon returning to Indiana.

Happens everywhere. *Recruiters are always calling and offering employees higher paying jobs with better companies. *It is a part of life. *If UND wants to be able to compete with a scholarship offer from NDSU they might want to move up to division I.

A couple of things. Were both your company and the company that the guy signed with both members of the same organization? Second of all, you're right it is always up to the recruit and you don't want anyone coming to your school if they don't want to be there. But once an athlete has verbally committed to another school, you should accept it and move on. It's too bad that Amy's star recruit left this late and she doesn't have any options left now, but to try to steal others recruits is wrong (not against the rules, but against the spirit of the game). And finally, you say that if UND wants to compete with a schollie offer from NDSU they should move up. Well, I guess they signed a recruit who NDSU offered a full ride to. Looks like they are competing with that offer pretty well.

Amy pulled a sneaky move and got caught. She will not be punished by the NCAA or school, but future recruits and their parents may look down upon that.

kchats
09-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Yes we were in a way. Consulting engineering firms are all basically in the same league. It happens quite often. We actually had a young guy that accepted a position with our company and had worked with us for a year or two when one of the other companies he had interviewed with called and offered him a raise to leave our company and go to theirs. He told his boss and it resulted in all the young engineers getting raises but he could have easily left and went to the other firm.

As far as this recruiting problem you seem to know so much about, I haven't seen a story on the news or in the paper confirming it. It is only a rumor until it is proven true. I wouldn't even necessarily say what you read in the paper or see in the news is true anymore thanks to Dan Rather, Newsweek and the New York Times.

kchats
09-28-2005, 12:05 AM
SYY she isn't signed until the name is on the letter of intent. Why do you think the football coaches all sweat their recruiting classes until the names are on the paper?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-28-2005, 12:15 AM
As far as this recruiting problem you seem to know so much about, I haven't seen a story on the news or in the paper confirming it. *It is only a rumor until it is proven true. *I wouldn't even necessarily say what you read in the paper or see in the news is true anymore thanks to Dan Rather, Newsweek and the New York Times.

I know it to be true, so I don't need to read it in the paper. This just hit the message boards yesterday. The Forum won't put anything on for a while I wouldn't think, if ever, and the Herald will probably be slow to put anything. If Amy can't talk about it until November then I wouldn't expect anything until then.

I'm sorry about the guy leaving your company, but it is a little different. These are 16 and 17 year old kids we are talking about. In the spirit of the game recruits should be left alone after they give a verbal. It's not against the rules to leave your starters in and run up the score against a lesser opponent, but you just don't do it in the spirit of the game. I guess you would call it class. Amy seems to lack this. Especially after she called out the UND coaches saying they are "unprofessional".

Pot, this is kettle, do you hear me?

MN_BISONS
09-28-2005, 12:51 AM
OK, just a couple of things here. *First, I thought books were always included in a full ride, isn't that why they call it a full ride? *Second, is it unprofessiaonal when Dean Blais did it? *Yes or No? *Third, doesn't this sort of thing happen all the time or are the UND people just pissed because it is NDSU doing it to them now? *

So here's the $1,000,000.00 question. *Since SYY knows so much about this, is this young girl considering the offer put forth by NDSU? *What did the coaches tell you? *They must be worried that she is or I really doubt all of the Sioux fans would be up in arms about this.....to tell you the truth, I don't care either way. *I hope she picks a school that fits her best be it NDSU, UND or Jamestown. *If she decides NDSU is a good fit for her, best of luck. *If she decides some other school fits her best, ditto. *It's about her, not two schools that enjoy putting the screws to each other or at leaset their fan base seems too.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-28-2005, 07:15 AM
OK, just a couple of things here. *First, I thought books were always included in a full ride, isn't that why they call it a full ride? *Second, is it unprofessiaonal when Dean Blais does it? *Yes or No? *Third, doesn't this sort of thing happen all the time or are the UND people just pissed because it is NDSU doing it to them now? *

So here's the $1,000,000.00 question. *Since SYY knows so much about this, is this young girl considering the offer put forth by NDSU? *What did the coaches tell you? *They must be worried that she is or I really doubt all of the Sioux fans would be up in arms about this.....to tell you the truth, I don't care either way. *I hope she picks a school that fits her best be it NDSU, UND or Jamestown. *If she decides NDSU is a good fit for her, best of luck. *If she decides some other school fits her best, ditto. *It's about her, not two schools that enjoy putting the screws to each other or at leaset their fan base seems too.

DI schools can pay for books while DII schools cannot. I'm guessing this is why Amy brought it up. Not certain that that is the reason though. Secondly, if Dean Blais were to talk to a player about playing for his Blue Jackets, I don't think the NCAA would have a problem with it. Third, I think this sort of thing happens more often in the D-I ranks, but has not been common practice in D-II, at least in this area. I think it is probably a little worse because of the ongoing battle between the schools, and especially after Amy calling the UND coaches "unprofessional". And finally, I have not talked to the coaches about anything, as that would be a violation. Personally, I think she'll stick with her decision to attend UND as they were the ones that recruited her hard all along, while Amy just came in after her prize recruit got homesick and headed out.

BisonMav
09-28-2005, 12:26 PM
DI schools can pay for books while DII schools cannot. *I'm guessing this is why Amy brought it up. *Not certain that that is the reason though. *Secondly, if Dean Blais were to talk to a player about playing for his Blue Jackets, I don't think the NCAA would have a problem with it. *Third, I think this sort of thing happens more often in the D-I ranks, but has not been common practice in D-II, at least in this area. *I think it is probably a little worse because of the ongoing battle between the schools, and especially after Amy calling the UND coaches "unprofessional". *And finally, I have not talked to the coaches about anything, as that would be a violation. *Personally, I think she'll stick with her decision to attend UND as they were the ones that recruited her hard all along, while Amy just came in after her prize recruit got homesick and headed out.

If you are not the recruit or Amy Ruley, or have a recording of the alledged conversation, you don't know anything for sure. Especially how the conversation went, if there was a conversation. Someone with class would have the evidence first. ::)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-28-2005, 10:16 PM
If you are not the recruit or Amy Ruley, or have a recording of the alledged conversation, you don't know anything for sure. *Especially how the conversation went, if there was a conversation. *Someone with class would have the evidence first. ::)

I know what I'm talking about. I'm positive. I have class. If you don't want to believe that Amy did anything wrong then that's fine. But I know that she did and she lost a lot of respect for it.

RedRiver
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
SYY, how many more times are you going to say the same thing, it makes you sound like a crybaby!! What have you had, about 14 posts on this topic. I get your point, that you and you alone have no respect for Amy, so please move back to DII land.

MN_BISONS
09-28-2005, 10:50 PM
I know what I'm talking about. *I'm positive. *I have class. *If you don't want to believe that Amy did anything wrong then that's fine. *But I know that she did and she lost a lot of respect for it.

Again, how do you know? Can you please give this whole lost respect thing a rest. Everyone on this board knows if this was reversed you would be defending the UND coach. In fact you didin't answer the question about Blais when he DID it. So, did you lose some respect for coach Blais when he DID it while he was a coach for the Sioux? I liked the way you two stepped your way around that one before.

Tell us all again what was wrong about what Amy did according to the all knowing SYY? If the girl had signed with UND, then it would have been wrong, but she has yet to sign with the Sioux.......so what is wrong with letting her know she has other options......One more thing, I'm going to play the PowerBall tonight, can the all know all seeing SYY please share the winning numbers with me, thanks! ;D

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-29-2005, 01:53 AM
Again, how do you know? *Can you please give this whole lost respect thing a rest. *Everyone on this board knows if this was reversed you would be defending the UND coach. *In fact you didin't answer the question about Blais when he DID it. *So, did you lose some respect for coach Blais when he DID it while he was a coach for the Sioux? *I liked the way you two stepped your way around that one before.

Tell us all again what was wrong about what Amy did according to the all knowing SYY? *If the girl had signed with UND, then it would have been wrong, but she has yet to sign with the Sioux.......so what is wrong with letting her know she has other options......One more thing, I'm going to play the PowerBall tonight, can the all know all seeing SYY please share the winning numbers with me, thanks! ;D

09-14-26-42-46 PB 37

Taken from another post:

Here's an overview of the NDSU situation. Since last year Amy had three players graduate, which of course happens most years to every program. Amy has two players from last years team who would of been a sophmore and a junior not come back. Her two top recruits for this year are gone.(one not happy and one inelgible). Her roster is down to eleven players. NDSU doesn't even qualify for the playoffs for three years. After those three years she probably will still never make the playoffs. Amy has lost just about all the recruiting wars to UND lately. . And finally, Amy is losing her ethics now.

kchats
09-29-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm sorry but I don't believe that one bit. Are you kidding me? A student athlete will choose a division II school over the opportunity to play division I basketball. I have heard it all now. From what you were saying earlier NDSU didn't even really recruit this 5'-4" guard. All of a sudden you come on this board stating that Amy called her and offered her a standard division I full ride scholarship and you are worried that player might leave UND. I really doubt that NDSU and UND even recruit the same type of athletes anymore. Amy stated last season that the team she had last year was recruited for division II, which leads me to believe she is recruiting a better athlete for division I. I'm sure she will have no problem filling out the roster. I personally would have no problem if she added a JUCO transfer this year. I still haven't seen a story confirming the rumor you are spreading.

sambini
09-29-2005, 03:42 AM
Consider it an honor to be recruited by a HALL OF FAME COACH. Enough said on this thread. And Amy go out and find some more players at BLUE STAR....

MN_BISONS
09-29-2005, 04:21 AM
09-14-26-42-46 * PB 37

Thanks SYY, I'm in the money! ;)

GoBison127
09-29-2005, 06:39 AM
As far as I'm concerned these are all RUMORS...until someone personally talks to Coach Ruley and gets the scoop, it makes no sense arguing about.

It's a tough hit for the women's basketball team though. Kelsey Hendrickson was described in the forum as the "heir apparent to Katie Lorenz". That's one player that would be nice have around. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out....

Bison_Dan
09-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks SYY, I'm in the money! *;)

I think that syy still thinks the sue and NDSU are in the same division.

Hey syy we've moved on - it over it. und is rotting in dii hell!! Must be fun when you can't even get a good fb game and have you seen the bb schedule - I didn't think you could play upper iowa that many times. EXCITING!

UND92
09-29-2005, 04:36 PM
I think that syy still thinks the sue and NDSU are in the same division.

Hey syy we've moved on - it over it. und is rotting in dii hell!! Must be fun when you can't even get a good fb game and have you seen the bb schedule - I didn't think you could play upper iowa that many times. EXCITING!
I wouldn't spout off too much about what division you are in Dan. Your wrestlers are leaving the program to go where? Mankato. Your women's BB coach is losing all the prize recruits in the area to UND. And the players that she did have are also leaving the program. Ya, it sure looks like were in different divisions. And thanks for the compliment on are football team. You know, we might just be that good this year.

IowaBison
09-29-2005, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't spout off too much about what division you are in Dan. *Your wrestlers are leaving the program to go where? *Mankato. *Your women's BB coach is losing all the prize recruits in the area to *UND. *And the players that she did have are also leaving the program. *Ya, it sure looks like were in different divisions. *And thanks for the compliment on are football team. *You know, we might just be that good this year.

the wrestlers are leaving to win national championships in D2 (how's your wrestling team :P)

Ruley lost a freshman who got homesickand gave a girl in Valley City a phone call--run to hills Ma Barker!

As far as DI and DII-you know there's a difference, UND92, and I think it bugs the hell out of you.

kchats
09-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't buy this crap about NDSU losing players to UND. Amy is recruiting better athletes than what UND is recruiting because NDSU needs better athletes to compete in division I. I haven't seen one instance where a player that signed with UND for anything listed NDSU as a school recruiting them.

Bison_Dan
09-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't spout off too much about what division you are in Dan. *Your wrestlers are leaving the program to go where? *Mankato. *Your women's BB coach is losing all the prize recruits in the area to *UND. *And the players that she did have are also leaving the program. *Ya, it sure looks like were in different divisions. *And thanks for the compliment on are football team. *You know, we might just be that good this year.

Yea we're losing all of the best athletes to und - I forgot, thanks for reminding me. Is that why und is dominating dii? Lets see - last year - championships in which ones? fb - no got crushed by Pitt. bb - no, vb - 0-12 in ncc, track - still a joke, etc, etc. By the way 92 what do we call you now? How about the und jokers?

sambini
09-30-2005, 02:57 AM
What happened to that wrestling program at UND? Stay in d2 or move up or move on...

BisonMav
09-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Latest news on Siouxsports is that it was an assistant to Amy. *Amy is responsible for here assistants actions, but the story keeps changing. *It might comeback to what Bisonguy and others have said all along. *Just *called her to say we heard, congrats, if anything changes, we will have a scholarship waiting. *Or it might be that it didn't happen at all. * *

sambini
10-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Enough said and let it rest.

JBB
10-01-2005, 02:54 PM

SYY
19-14-26-42-46

Please, do you feel compelled to speak hyperbole*? *

Every athlete looking for a scholarship of this type has the right to know about all available opportunity. *Would you deny them that?

*a figure of speech which expresses much more or less than the truth, or which represents things much greater or less, better or worse than they really are.*

silkamilkamonico
10-06-2005, 05:55 AM
Your women's BB coach is losing all the prize recruits in the area to *UND. *

That's probably a good thing. There are no players in this area that Amy should be recruiting to play D1 anyways.

The TCU game was a perfect example of that.

mikelsch
10-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't say no players from this area. There will always be a few, for all sports, from around here.

Katie Lorenz is pretty darn good and a legit DI player. Lisa Bue also has the potential. I am interested to see the new players: Penley and Ellison.

silkamilkamonico
10-06-2005, 08:09 PM
I don't know.

I don't follow the women enough to know really what the talent is around here I guess.

I have faith that they will always remain competitive just because Ruley is such a great coach.

UND92
10-06-2005, 10:13 PM
That's probably a good thing. There are no players in this area that Amy should be recruiting to play D1 anyways.

The TCU game was a perfect example of that.
I think in the last couple of years there has been some really good players in this area that could play at the DI level. Just ask Amy because she recruited most of them. Bergan, Bagaason, Langan, Guinn, Ledger, and Kimbrough are the players that Amy has recruited in the last year or so. It just happens that they all went to UND. But to say that there are no girls in the area that could play DI, you are also saying that Amy is way off on her recruiting trails because she was very interested in these area girls, but just happened to lose them to UND. And the big recruit, Kimbrough, well her decision came down to U of M, Iowa St. and UND. She was the player that was recruited by most DI schools in the country. So I would have to disagree about the level of talent in the area in girls BB. These six girls are a good example of the local talent that were recruited by a DI school. Looking at the situation at ndsu now I think Amy could use a few of these girls. I wonder if Amy is done recruiting them?

JBB
10-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I disagree. *You act like our program was devestated and defeated by your great recruiting. *It might be true that a lot of local players are flocking to you, but it isnt true NDSU had hung its hopes on any of them. *

Your big competition for most of these players is going to be Bismarck. *NDSU may take some looks too, but these players are going to the DII schools for a big reason, and NDSU isnt pressing the recruiting on many of them for the same reason: *They might develop into DI players but its a gamble. *They will probably be contributors in DII.

MN_BISONS
10-06-2005, 11:45 PM
I think in the last couple of years there has been some really good players in this area that could play at the DI level. *Just ask Amy because she recruited most of them. *Bergan, Bagaason, Langan, Guinn, Ledger, and Kimbrough are the players that Amy has recruited in the last year or so. *It just happens that they all went to UND. *But to say that there are no girls in the area that could play DI, you are also saying that Amy is way off on her recruiting trails because she was very interested in these area girls, but just happened to lose them to UND. *And the big recruit, Kimbrough, well her decision came down to U of M, Iowa St. and UND. *She was the player that was recruited by most DI schools in the country. *So I would have to disagree about the level of talent in the area in girls BB. *These six girls are a good example of the local talent that were recruited by a DI school. *Looking at the situation at ndsu now I think Amy could use a few of these girls. *I *wonder if Amy is done recruiting them? *

So you are saying everyone of the players you listed was offered a scholarship by NDSU? That is what you mean when you say recruited, right?

kchats
10-06-2005, 11:48 PM
No it's a requirement for all players are UND to state they were considering NDSU, Minnesota and a couple other division I programs prior to them picking the Sioux. ;) Why play division I basketball when you can go on the road and play for division II championships in Pine Bluff Arkansas? ??? NDSU did not recruit every player that is on your roster and UND did not recruit every player on NDSU's roster. Get over yourselves a player isn't going to pick a division II school over a division I school with a Hall Of Fame coach no matter how many times your coach tells them they will lose all the time at NDSU in division I. >:(

JBB
10-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Exactly. For every one of those players that DII guy mentioned I would venture the guess that NDSU got a better player. A player that had more maturity and more potential.

BisonMav
10-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I think in the last couple of years there has been some really good players in this area that could play at the DI level. *Just ask Amy because she recruited most of them. *Bergan, Bagaason, Langan, Guinn, Ledger, and Kimbrough are the players that Amy has recruited in the last year or so. *It just happens that they all went to UND. *But to say that there are no girls in the area that could play DI, you are also saying that Amy is way off on her recruiting trails because she was very interested in these area girls, but just happened to lose them to UND. *And the big recruit, Kimbrough, well her decision came down to U of M, Iowa St. and UND. *She was the player that was recruited by most DI schools in the country. *So I would have to disagree about the level of talent in the area in girls BB. *These six girls are a good example of the local talent that were recruited by a DI school. *Looking at the situation at ndsu now I think Amy could use a few of these girls. *I *wonder if Amy is done recruiting them? *

Kimbrough and Bagaason were good players in High School and the best DI talent you listed. *The Gophers ended up with the best player out of Minnesota though, Katie Ohm. *She schooled the UND recruits in the state tourney. *Ohm is the type NDSU needs. *And she will be playing in Fargo next year I believe, when the Gophers come to town.

somebison
10-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Sawyer knew that even while Wiese was playing at La Crescent. However, Sawyer also knew Wiese’s mind was made up on attending North Dakota State.
Wiese had committed to the Fargo school fairly early in the recruiting process, so Sawyer pretty much crossed him off his list. Sawyer (Winona State Coach) did tell Wiese to call if anything changed.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2005/10/07/sports/03fourth.txt

amazing a coach calling a recruit after they committed to another school and telling them to keep them in mind if anything changes, I'm amazed ESPN didn't run a story on this ::) ::)

JACKGUYII
10-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I totaly disagree there are no DI recruits in the area. I think especially on the women's side there are a lot of good players in the region. Don't forget a few years ago the Gopher Women's team went to the final four with largely an instate team. The Jacks got the two best women players in the state of South Dakota in 2005 and they will contribute immediately. We continue to recruit good DI calibre players out of Minnesota and Wisconsin. SDSU and NDSU fared pretty well against DI competition last year. I think the talent level between the former big 3 in the NCC UND,NDSU and SDSU is widening more than the Sioux will ever admit.

BisonMav
10-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Don't forget a few years ago the Gopher Women's team went to the final four with largely an instate team.

We'll see how good Minnesota does without Shaq(McCarville), from Wisconsin, this year. The Gophers do have a lot of out-of-state youth on their team this year.

JACKGUYII
10-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Lindsay Wayland from Hutchinson was they key to that final four run. When she went down with an injury during the year that team was lost. She is now one of the elite guards in the WNBA starring for Conn. She is one of the best players I have ever seen!

NoDakSt
10-07-2005, 04:30 PM
McCarville proved to be a stud on the Gopher team but without Jamie Broback's emergence as a "goto" player late in the season, Minnesota wouldn't have gone as far as they did. Jamie led the Gophers in scoring for 7 straight games leading up to the final loss to Baylor in the NCAAs.

The key to how well the Gophers perform this year will be on how well the backcourt of Roysland and Calhoun perform and who emerges in the low post to help Broback. Post defense is going to be very huge as several teams in the Big 10 have bigs that are key parts of their offense.

BisonMav
10-07-2005, 04:55 PM
McCarville proved to be a stud on the Gopher team but without Jamie Broback's emergence as a "goto" player late in the season, Minnesota wouldn't have gone as far as they did. *Jamie led the Gophers in scoring for 7 straight games leading up to the final loss to Baylor in the NCAAs.

The key to how well the Gophers perform this year will be on how well the backcourt of Roysland and Calhoun perform and who emerges in the low post to help Broback. *Post defense is going to be very huge as several teams in the Big 10 have bigs that are key parts of their offense.

Very true, Broback stepped up last year. I am looking at Ohm being the next great player at Minnesota.

UND92
10-08-2005, 12:16 AM
So if a girl is in the final five for miss BB in minnesota and goes to UND (guinn) then she must be bad. And no DI school recruited her, right? Guinn played class 4A ball and was a finalist for miss BB. Don't tell me no DI school had interest in her. Can some of you just admit that a girl might pass up on a DI school and go play for a DII school that could win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. It's not that hard to understand. Just swallow your ego for once. And UND did get another girl today that turned down some DI schools. I don't blame amy for not playing UND. Just look at all these players we have that she wanted.

JBB
10-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Theres something wrong with you 92. *If a girl is final five and goes to a DII school, she isnt bad, she is a DII athlete. *Your the one that equated DII with bad. *I think you need some therapy? *???

Your DII. Live with it. Some of your athletes might be able to play in Division I, so what? They play in DII. 8)

kchats
10-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Why do you think all the players on UND's team were recruited by Amy? I have seen nothing that says that. I still stand by my earlier comments if the athlete is a true competitor she will want to play the best competition and that means going to a division I school. Playing in the NIT and possibly winning it or even just playing and winning a game or two in the women's NCAA tournament is far better than winning a division II championship.

DIBISON
10-08-2005, 06:11 AM
und92, would you rather have an athlete that makes a decision to play at the highest level of competition that they can, or take an easier ride and play at a lower level of competition? Maybe if they make a decision to play at a lower level they are in fact not DI recruits?

NoDakSt
10-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Amy is going to want to get the players who want to build a program. Bison won't be winning any championships in the near future so if that is what a player wants, better to go to UND because at that level of competition, they are competitive.

I wouldn't be surprised as Amy upgrades the calibre of athlete she brings in, to see more transfers. That happens at a lot of schools that make a move up a division or move into the upper levels within the same division (note the Duke women).

Kimbrough is a player that could have played on a potential national championship team in the Gophers. Gopher fans have said that she is all that. She may not have been an AA at that level and she may have wanted to stay in G.F. because of closeness to home and her potential to be a big time difference maker.

BisonMav
10-09-2005, 01:37 AM
So if a girl is in the final five for miss BB in minnesota and goes to UND (guinn) then she must be bad. *And no DI school recruited her, right? *Guinn played class 4A ball and was a finalist for miss BB. *Don't tell me no DI school had interest in her. *Can some of you just admit that a girl might pass up on a DI school and go play for a DII school that could win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. *It's not that hard to understand. *Just swallow your ego for once. *And UND did get another girl today that turned down some DI schools. *I don't blame amy for not playing UND. *Just look at all these players we have that she wanted.
We have a player on the men's team that was Mr Basketball in Wisconsin. He must have turned down Marquette, UW Green Bay and Wisconsin to come to NDSU. Not to knock Nelson, he will be a good player for the Bison Men, but und92, your logic needs some work. Guinn is probably a good player, but the MR & Miss Basketball stuff is not a good barometer of total greatness.

JBB
10-09-2005, 03:51 PM
*I don't blame amy for not playing UND. *Just look at all these players we have that she wanted.

Now that is sour grapes! Of course Amy wont play you, your in the wrong division. As far a knowing anything about what Amy wants as a coach? You simply dont know, your all buckle and no belt. Just a mouth with an axe to grind. ;)

TaTonka_31
10-09-2005, 10:45 PM
When you talk about why certain kids wind up at certain schools, you need to put into perspective how many high school varsity players there are and how many scholarships are available to them. Choices are limited.

In the U.S. there are somewhere in upwards of 100,000 graduating senior basketball players each year. Out of that group approximately 10,000 play on elite or AAU teams. Out of that group there maybe 1000 scholarships awarded each year from the 327 Division 1 Mens Basketball teams in the NCAA. When you break it down by position there maybe only 2 or 3 hundred available to each position. Big kids 6'8" and above will have a good chance to get a full ride at D1 so that leaves very, very few scholarships for all the guards and forwards.

From the coaches stand point, there are very few kids that would be considered can't miss difference makers and those kids get snapped up by the high profile teams in the major conferences. For all the rest of the players, being offered a scholarship to a Division 1 school is a major miracle. Many times getting offered means playing well at a certain time at a certain tournament by a certain coach that may have been impressed.

The bottom line is that many kids that play in D2 and even D3 could probably play on a D1 team but the numbers just don't add up. Conversely, kids that had high profile high school careers don't always get the offers they are looking for because of a lack of scholarships at their position. It's a very competitive racket.